Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 02:24 PM   #916
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverhill View Post
For the past 18 trips we have driven the 2400 miles round trip. Personally I love the drive. For me it is part of the vacation and enjoy seeing a bit more of the country. This year the family wants to fly to save time. The savings over flying is about $350 if we drove.

Has anyone who normally drives considered flying and if you have flown did you regret not driving?

I am scared of flying but have been on an airplane in the past.
We've talked about it, but we've decided we just don't want to do it. We did a list of pros and cons and driving had WAAAAY more pros over flying.

We live over an hour away from the airport, then add another 1/2 hour for parking. I think if we lived closer then flying wouldn't feel so cumbersome. Plus we prefer the freedom of driving more than anything!

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
Old 04-07-2012, 03:43 PM   #917
disneymarie
Its a rumour about the donuts...
Can we play Nancy Drew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverhill View Post
For the past 18 trips we have driven the 2400 miles round trip. Personally I love the drive. For me it is part of the vacation and enjoy seeing a bit more of the country. This year the family wants to fly to save time. The savings over flying is about $350 if we drove.

Has anyone who normally drives considered flying and if you have flown did you regret not driving?

I am scared of flying but have been on an airplane in the past.
I have this debate going on in my mind most of the last two weeks for a June trip. We have added family going, staying off site as a budget trip to use the AP an added time.
Every dollar saved counts on whether we go or not.
The big thing is the cost of gas is really a deciding factor for us fly or drive.
We flew a few weeks ago, 2 hr direct flight.
For the 4 of us the difference is $400 including the car rental, then I am flying,

I am an anxious flyer, but terrible PANIC attacks driving. I am more a flying gal, 2 hr flights vs 2 days on the road each way.

Gas comes back down, and we can get away with one room., I can be talked into driving more frequently.
Flying, has to mean more Disney time and $400 difference.
Register to remove

Old 04-07-2012, 05:57 PM   #918
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

i cant fly!! im trying to hit 60 trips before i turn 50.
it going to be tight. maybe in 2 years we will do 3 trips. i have to be able to get to a disdad convention and jan. 2013 is out so im shooting for 2014.

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!
2000+ MILE ROUND TRIP DRIVING THREAD.. DOUBLE DIAMOND DRIVER!

Old 04-07-2012, 06:32 PM   #919
disneymarie
Can we play Nancy Drew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
i cant fly!! im trying to hit 60 trips before i turn 50.
it going to be tight. maybe in 2 years we will do 3 trips. i have to be able to get to a disdad convention and jan. 2013 is out so im shooting for 2014.

No one believes me, when I try to tell them about my DisDad friend,
Old 04-07-2012, 06:40 PM   #920
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymarie View Post

No one believes me, when I try to tell them about my DisDad friend,
its not to bad when you tell them in 73 i was 8 and ill be 47 this year. when i was a kid we had family down south so its not to bad. its just something that got started and we just keep it going. im hoping briana keeps it up. at this point i dont think im getting her out of my back seat anytime soon.

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!

Old 04-07-2012, 06:54 PM   #921
disneymarie
Can we play Nancy Drew?

Quote:
its not to bad when you tell them in 73 i was 8 and ill be 47 this year. when i was a kid we had family down south so its not to bad. its just something that got started and we just keep it going. im hoping briana keeps it up. at this point i dont think im getting her out of my back seat anytime soon.
Yikes, in 73, I was out of school, had my own business and settled down, soon to be expecting my first baby in 1974.

I think 50 before 50 was a milestone has to be some kind of record.

I would never have 50 by plane, train or automobile, or...any combination there of.Lucky if I get to 6 by 60.
It would be so nice to live at least in VA. almost a midway point. I could even hop the Autotrain, Now that is something Tammy may like. the experience is truly naustalgic.

See ya on one of the next 12 trips.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:56 PM   #922
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymarie View Post
Yikes, in 73, I was out of school, had my own business and settled down, soon to be expecting my first baby in 1974.

I think 50 before 50 was a milestone has to be some kind of record.

I would never have 50 by plane, train or automobile, or...any combination there of.Lucky if I get to 6 by 60.
It would be so nice to live at least in VA. almost a midway point. I could even hop the Autotrain, Now that is something Tammy may like. the experience is truly naustalgic.

See ya on one of the next 12 trips.
its funny, tammy is the one who wont get into a plane or train. even after she lost her vision in one eye, she said how thankfull she is that i still like to drive it. i also like the drive. i always said i could be a truck driver. i do alot of driving for work but its mostly shot drives and in towns. we love the road trip. before we got married, tammy was never further south than ocean city md. she never went on road trips as a kid. i created a monster. we are both comfortable on the road. i look at some drivers and there holding on to the wheel likes its going to fall off. relaaax. sit back. enjoy the sites. we talk just about the entire way. we talk about everything. we look forward to the trip. the excitement of leaving at 3am. or, me picking her up at work and leaving from her office. some people like flying and some like driving. we are drivers. we like being in controll, when, were, how and why. its just easier for us.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:35 AM   #923
magsmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by justakrazymom View Post
Def! But I will warn ya..i AM a wacko My kids are even wackier.. I've raised em crazy..LOL

We usually go straight down 95.. we are debating taking the more scenic root though this time..
90 to 87 (I think) to 84 (goes to Wilkes Barre). Put in "Scranton" or Wikles Barre for your GPS.
Or 91 south to 84 in Hartford to Wilkes Barre, then

81 south through PA (180 or so miles, an easy, country drive to Hershey,l Gettysburg/Antediam), MD, and WV to VA, to 64 east to US 17 south. That road is gorgeous! Will connect to 95 in Fredericksburg.

We went 3 times this past year and eliminated most of the Northeast Corridor with this route. Going this way again next week, July and August at least.

We so look forward to the drive. So much better than flying.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #924
disneymarie
Can we play Nancy Drew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by magsmom View Post
90 to 87 (I think) to 84 (goes to Wilkes Barre). Put in "Scranton" or Wikles Barre for your GPS.Or 91 south to 84 in Hartford to Wilkes Barre, then

81 south through PA (180 or so miles, an easy, country drive to Hershey,l Gettysburg/Antediam), MD, and WV to VA, to 64 east to US 17 south. That road is gorgeous! Will connect to 95 in Fredericksburg.

We went 3 times this past year and eliminated most of the Northeast Corridor with this route. Going this way again next week, July and August at least.

NExt drive through as you leave Wilkes Barre on 81 S, just wave as you pass the Nuangola exit.
OR you can pick us up. dd and I have a disney bag ready to go anytime, lol.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:36 AM   #925
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
90 to 87 (I think) to 84 (goes to Wilkes Barre). Put in "Scranton" or Wikles Barre for your GPS.

i never tried 64. when we go that way, i use i81/i66 to17. ill have to give 64 a shot sometime.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:35 AM   #926
justakrazymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Is the more "Scenic" route that much "longer"? Drive time not miles..

homeschooling mom,Disney freak and more
DxL '99, CBR '00, Pop '11
BWI '12,POFQ '12 , PORS '13

The SuperFamily vs. Silverware , Felons and The Little Mermaid Sept 2013 TR

No Distractions,Never say Never TR
Old 04-09-2012, 12:17 PM   #927
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Is the more "Scenic" route that much "longer"? Drive time not miles..
rt17 is, in most parts, a 4 lane road. most of it is 55mph but you go through towns, stop lights etc.... which we like going this way. we take this way in the winter and it takes me 17 hours.
if you want the "scenic" route but time matters. i use 81/77/26/95. this way, its all interstates. i81 will take you up through roanoke and through the shenandoah mtn. range. this way takes me 16 hours. this is the shortest way time wise that i have found. you dont want to hit charlotte , nc at rush hour. this is the best way i found to go. traffic, time etc...
but, i wont go this way in the winter!!!
rt17 will pick up i95 at mile marker/ exit133 in virginia. just north of richmond. that area gets a little busy. i wouldnt want to hit it at rush hour.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #928
justakrazymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
rt17 is, in most parts, a 4 lane road. most of it is 55mph but you go through towns, stop lights etc.... which we like going this way. we take this way in the winter and it takes me 17 hours.
if you want the "scenic" route but time matters. i use 81/77/26/95. this way, its all interstates. i81 will take you up through roanoke and through the shenandoah mtn. range. this way takes me 16 hours. this is the shortest way time wise that i have found. you dont want to hit charlotte , nc at rush hour. this is the best way i found to go. traffic, time etc...
but, i wont go this way in the winter!!!
rt17 will pick up i95 at mile marker/ exit133 in virginia. just north of richmond. that area gets a little busy. i wouldnt want to hit it at rush hour.
wondering how far it is from here to where you are.. our straight shot down takes us 21 hours.. we've luckily never run into bad traffic.. well I don't count coming home in the wake of Irene last year..

homeschooling mom,Disney freak and more
DxL '99, CBR '00, Pop '11
BWI '12,POFQ '12 , PORS '13

The SuperFamily vs. Silverware , Felons and The Little Mermaid Sept 2013 TR

No Distractions,Never say Never TR
Old 04-09-2012, 03:34 PM   #929
areno79
DIS Veteran

Anyone know of a way to bypass Hartford, CT without going too much off the beaten path? We're leaving NH at 4pm on a Thursday, which means we'll hit Hartford about 6pm...a little after rush hour but in Hartford the traffic is always pretty bad, in my experience. We're planning Rt.3-495-MA Pike-84 route to GW Bridge (hitting NYC around 8 PM). Aiming to get to just past DC on the first night, which will take us about 9 hours. I figure the next morning our biggest traffic issue will be Richmond, but if we leave around 8 or 9 hopefully it won't be*too* bad.

February 2003- Courtyard Marriott at Downtown Disney
May 2005- Pop Century
March 2007-Universal
Oct 2009- POFQ and MNSSHP
April 21-28, 2012- Off-site villa

Old 04-09-2012, 03:56 PM   #930
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
wondering how far it is from here to where you are.. our straight shot down takes us 21 hours.. we've luckily never run into bad traffic.. well I don't count coming home in the wake of Irene last year..
do it this way. go to mapquest or who ever you use. see how far it is from your house to harrisburg pa. going i81/i77/i26/i95 it takes me about 141/2 - 15 hours to get to okw. call it 15 hours to be safe, tammy drives fast. im not sure where you live but from me to boston is about 51/2 hours. and alot of that is pocono traffic.

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: