Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 05:09 AM   #856
MinnieTink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
78/81/77/26/95/4. 16 hours
Ok. In August, we will be doing our 6th drive to WDW from Northern NJ. We have always done 95 all the way down. Can you tell me a little more about the route above? How do the roads differ from 95? Where to you pick up 95? Maybe we will try it. Thanks!

Old 04-01-2012, 05:31 AM   #857
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Alas...tis time for final packing. In about two hours we will be on the road home: drive #26 since 2002. [But we'll never catch dvczerf's all-time record!]

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (40 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-01-2012, 05:59 AM   #858
nono
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneygirl 792 View Post
Hi, we're from Southern Ocean County. This will be out first time driving. DH says taking 95 down is just about the best way to go. I was thinking of leaving about 12 noon counting in a stop or two for bathroom breaks and food...does that sound ok? What do you think?
From where you are I95 is about the best bet.

Now as for what time to leave...where are you hoping to get to? If you want to drive for about 8 hours with stops, that would get you to Dunn, NC (where we've statyed at a very clean Hampton Inn). If you are trying to drive straight through, that will get you to WDW about 5-6 a.m. the next morning. All of this assumes no major traffic ties ups, and no excessive dawdling at rest areas.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:02 AM   #859
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieTink View Post
Ok. In August, we will be doing our 6th drive to WDW from Northern NJ. We have always done 95 all the way down. Can you tell me a little more about the route above? How do the roads differ from 95? Where to you pick up 95? Maybe we will try it. Thanks!
pending on where in northern nj you are. closer to i78 or i80?
78/81/77/26 is all major interstates. again, you can hit a wreck anyway you go that will slow you down. 81 will take you out the shenandoah mtns. the speed limit for most of it is 70mph. there are two citys you dont want to hit at a rush hour. charl, nc and columbia sc. i see your going in august, the is NO SHORE TRAFFIC. its more open driving. you pick up i95 in sc. i also have gone 78/81/66/17/95. which is also a good way but 17 is not an interstate and if your not sure where your going, it can be tricky. trust me, i want to get there and back as fast as i can. if i95 was easier, i would take it. the only thing i would say is try it. you wont lose anytime all things considered.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:12 AM   #860
patclairesmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Hi, we're from Southern Ocean County. This will be out first time driving. DH says taking 95 down is just about the best way to go. I was thinking of leaving about 12 noon counting in a stop or two for bathroom breaks and food...does that sound ok? What do you think?
What time will you hit DC?

Old 04-01-2012, 08:07 AM   #861
Disneygirl 792
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by patclairesmom View Post
What time will you hit DC?
DH estimates about 3pm..if we leave about noon.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:11 AM   #862
Disneygirl 792
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nono View Post
From where you are I95 is about the best bet.

Now as for what time to leave...where are you hoping to get to? If you want to drive for about 8 hours with stops, that would get you to Dunn, NC (where we've statyed at a very clean Hampton Inn). If you are trying to drive straight through, that will get you to WDW about 5-6 a.m. the next morning. All of this assumes no major traffic ties ups, and no excessive dawdling at rest areas.
We are going to shoot for leaving at 12 noon and drive straight through.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:27 AM   #863
Goofygirl17
DIS Veteran

Just booked our two weeks at Silver Lake for July

Time to start planning our third road trip! Hopefully DH will be coming this time for at least part of the trip. He might have to fly home after the first week depending on how much time off he has left by then.

Time to make a ticker!
Old 04-01-2012, 09:47 AM   #864
Goofygirl17
DIS Veteran

Maybe now it'll show up?
Old 04-01-2012, 10:36 AM   #865
pjpoppins
Mouseketeer

We are going on our first road trip to WDW in 2 weeks. We usually fly in September but airfare was more than the Disney package for April. It will be myself, DW, DD5, DFiL, and DM in a rented minivan. This should be interesting. We are leaving 4/13 before lunch and are driving straight through with many stops. I've driven to FL twice before, but both in my younger days (~85mph average speed). I'm really torn on taking 95 like I have in the past or trying to shoot across 84 to Scranton and then taking 81 all the way down. I know 95 is the shortest but then I have to worry about NYC and DC. 81 may be less hassle and may save time in the end traffic wise? I've heard 81 is a fairly scenic route, though that main stretch may be at night. Any opinions?

Old 04-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #866
disneymarie
Its a rumour about the donuts...
Can we play Nancy Drew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
Alas...tis time for final packing. In about two hours we will be on the road home: drive #26 since 2002. [But we'll never catch dvczerf's all-time record!]

All the best.
Good weather, safe drive, no traffic or problems along the way.
Watching for up date that safely home.

::M ickeyMo

Edit to add, I hope that you did not hit that tie up on 95,. as TaraPA says, her parents related a mass exades of seniors whose leases are up the 31st headed back North for Easter...
Imagine how slow that traffic must be moving.
Be safe.

Last edited by disneymarie; 04-01-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:06 PM   #867
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post

All the best.
have a safe trip home bc!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpoppins View Post
We are going on our first road trip to WDW in 2 weeks. We usually fly in September but airfare was more than the Disney package for April. It will be myself, DW, DD5, DFiL, and DM in a rented minivan. This should be interesting. We are leaving 4/13 before lunch and are driving straight through with many stops. I've driven to FL twice before, but both in my younger days (~85mph average speed). I'm really torn on taking 95 like I have in the past or trying to shoot across 84 to Scranton and then taking 81 all the way down. I know 95 is the shortest but then I have to worry about NYC and DC. 81 may be less hassle and may save time in the end traffic wise? I've heard 81 is a fairly scenic route, though that main stretch may be at night. Any opinions?
81 at night even better. ill be doing it in 40 days!
Old 04-01-2012, 05:45 PM   #868
nono
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We are going to shoot for leaving at 12 noon and drive straight through.
Well, I hope you guys do an OK job of sleeping in the passenger seat! As long as you do, you can face a full day at WDW when you arrive.

We've done it all in one shot several times, but we arrive closer to Noon by leaving about 6 hours behind you. I find that being able to have a drink at lunch smoothes me out enough to make it through a 1/2 day of the parks after some not so supreme sleep in the car (I do most of the overnight driving).

Our next trip is coming up soon, and we've decided to take the first ferry of the morning*, and stop overnight in Savannah. My kids actually enjoy a full day in the car, so they asked for this schedule...they'd rather not sleep all night in the car, and frankly, I'm ok with that too! I'm not as young as I used to be!

*We're in extreme southern Cape May County.

Last edited by nono; 04-01-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:01 PM   #869
blondietink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieTink View Post
Don't know about the 78 part, but 81 has a lot less traffic than 95 around Baltimore, Washington, Richmond. There is some traffic on 77 between Statesville, NC and Charlotte until you get into SC. Pick up 26 around Columiba (not much traffic at all) and pick up 95 right before St. George, SC. We take 15 through PA and pick up 81 in Harrisburg rather than going down 79 through Pittsburgh and WVa, which I absolutely HATE. It is also much easier on the car than going through WVa. We are taking this route in 6 more days ..... YIKES I need to start packing.

On the way home, we are taking 95 to just south of Richmond, then taking 64 over to 81, just for some different scenery.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:12 PM   #870
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondietink View Post
Don't know about the 78 part, but 81 has a lot less traffic than 95 around Baltimore, Washington, Richmond. There is some traffic on 77 between Statesville, NC and Charlotte until you get into SC. Pick up 26 around Columiba (not much traffic at all) and pick up 95 right before St. George, SC. We take 15 through PA and pick up 81 in Harrisburg rather than going down 79 through Pittsburgh and WVa, which I absolutely HATE. It is also much easier on the car than going through WVa. We are taking this route in 6 more days ..... YIKES I need to start packing.

On the way home, we are taking 95 to just south of Richmond, then taking 64 over to 81, just for some different scenery.
have you taken 64 before? ive never tried that way. we have always gone to exit 133 and take 17 to i66. let me know how 64 is.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: