Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  


Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-24-2012, 09:50 PM   #811
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.
 
sharadoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Limerick, PA
Posts: 6,487

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
no dvd player and i think most of the manufactures, little parts warranty ran out in march. id have to look but i think most of the big parts are warrantied for 10 years. its never seen snow, other than from the garage window and it only been in the rain 4 times. my mechanic just shakes his head. alot of the stickers are still on the engine and the engine isnt even dusty much less dirty. he changes the oil and said the oil coming out is cleaner than the oil he puts in. very nice ride. it can cruise at 90 with no vibration or even know your going that fast. (so i hear )
That's awesome! Exactly what we like to buy, low mileage, well taken care of, don't care about the model year. I hope we can hold out until then! Mike's van is slowly dying!!
__________________
DH (Mike) & Me (Sharon) DS Shawn (19,ASD) DD Lauren (13) Daisy



Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
sharadoc is offline  
Old 03-25-2012, 04:35 AM   #812
disneymarie
Its a rumour about the donuts...
Can we play Nancy Drew?
 
disneymarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyholic View Post
Just a heads up....

Be careful driving it to the inspection station. Watch out for State Police. DS was driving his to an inspection station when he passed a Statie on Airport Road and was stopped. His had expired in September, too, but he had been working on it and had to run it to get the computer to reset. The Statie didn't want to hear any of it and gave him a ticket. Said it was out of inspection for too long. He put in for a hearing and was found guilty, but had the fines reduced a little.

Wouldn't want you to get a ticket. That money could be used for better things (Like Disney).
Wow, who was the magistrate? I hope not the one for by Dorney Park

On a side not, if you call the insp station, get the appointment excempt from a ticket. Many people buy cars that need work, are seasonal, and long exp, periods.

I would appeal the guilty plea.....
I Was a PA law enforcement and NEVER wrote for insp, gave warning. IF it was that long exp, escorted to local shop of their choice for appt or service. FOr their protection. But, I was a different sort of PD. Serve and protect, not entrap and take $$$$$ for inspection.
Hated co workers that sat on first of month looking for the veh for exp insp.....

NOW if it was a death trap, that was a different issue because why in the world was it even inspected. Had my share of fake and stolen insp stickers too, but not get the $$$ for seasonal car.


As I sit here recalling last week, the new off the car lot last May's car windshield screamed out, "2-12" DUH, car was inspected prior to purchase!!! This was a week ago, luck was on our side.
__________________

Last edited by disneymarie; 03-25-2012 at 04:47 AM.
disneymarie is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-25-2012, 07:48 AM   #813
Disneyholic
Official Disneyholic! CM Wannabe! I'll Never Grow Up!
 
Disneyholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Posts: 2,615

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymarie View Post
Wow, who was the magistrate? I hope not the one for by Dorney Park

On a side not, if you call the insp station, get the appointment excempt from a ticket. Many people buy cars that need work, are seasonal, and long exp, periods.

I would appeal the guilty plea.....
I Was a PA law enforcement and NEVER wrote for insp, gave warning. IF it was that long exp, escorted to local shop of their choice for appt or service. FOr their protection. But, I was a different sort of PD. Serve and protect, not entrap and take $$$$$ for inspection.
Hated co workers that sat on first of month looking for the veh for exp insp.....

NOW if it was a death trap, that was a different issue because why in the world was it even inspected. Had my share of fake and stolen insp stickers too, but not get the $$$ for seasonal car.


As I sit here recalling last week, the new off the car lot last May's car windshield screamed out, "2-12" DUH, car was inspected prior to purchase!!! This was a week ago, luck was on our side.
No not magistrate by Dorney.

He was on his way to the inspection station. He even had a paper from an inspection in September when it failed because the computer hadn't reset. He then had to work on the car some more to try to reset computers which is why it was so far out of inspection. Statey didn't care. DS-in-law is PD for a local force and called the guy the next day. Didn't care. He called a friend who is higher up at State and that guy said that the new guys were gung-ho ticketing & nothing you could say would change their minds.
__________________
97HINB&RIUS99CSR00WL01HRPDTD02HINB&WL30AnV&A03DTDTD04BWDTD&AKLSunsetSafari05DTDTD&POR06DTDTD07ASMFS
08Wonder&BC09November28Magic&DTDTD10BW11May29Dream1/12DTDTD&WL8/12Fantasy40An.Remy&DTDTDJoinedDVC
4/13AKVCL,DCLDream,BLT11/13FantasyThanksgiving/AKLVKidani4/14AKLVKidani8/14DVCMembersCruise/Dream,AKLVJambo













Disneyholic is offline  
Old 03-26-2012, 06:49 AM   #814
disneymarie
Its a rumour about the donuts...
Can we play Nancy Drew?
 
disneymarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyholic View Post
No not magistrate by Dorney.

He was on his way to the inspection station. He even had a paper from an inspection in September when it failed because the computer hadn't reset. He then had to work on the car some more to try to reset computers which is why it was so far out of inspection. Statey didn't care. DS-in-law is PD for a local force and called the guy the next day. Didn't care. He called a friend who is higher up at State and that guy said that the new guys were gung-ho ticketing & nothing you could say would change their minds.
That is really sad, as said it is the new guys looking for insp stickers and one headlight out, instead of observation of real safety problems, or even helping out those in need.

Mag should have used a little rough justice, as I guess they did with the reduced fine...could have dropped it after knowing it was inspected and passed fine.
Paying money for a fine is a crime as it takes Disney funds away,
__________________
disneymarie is offline  
Old 03-26-2012, 10:58 AM   #815
Hasil72
DIS Veteran
 
Hasil72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Southern NJ
Posts: 511

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadoc View Post
We bought our Disney travelling van with 65,000 miles on it. We're close to 120,000 now. It's well-maintained, has good tires, regular maintenance and oil changes and runs great. I drive over 1,500 miles a month, plus another 4-5000 per year to Disney.

We plan to continue to use it until we can buy DVCZerfs Disney van sometime next year, then we'll start the cycle all over again!!

If you give your van a total once-over, especially since it's a Toyota, you would most likely be just fine driving it to Disney. Plus make sure you have AAA and plan to be towed to a national repair chain and NOT a local repair shop if you do break down on the road.

100,000 miles used to mean the junkyard, but now, you can pay 5 figures for a vehicle with that many miles on it. They just don't break down like they used to!

I know, I know. I think we'd be fine but DH isn't willing to take the risk since getting a new car isn't in the budget. I have one reserved but I'll keep working on it in the meantime. I'd just like November to get here so we can go!
__________________
Imagine with all your mind. Believe with all your heart. Achieve with all your might.
Hasil72 is offline  
Old 03-26-2012, 12:20 PM   #816
discrazy2
Earning My Ears
 
discrazy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 30

First drive from NJ to WDW

We are doing our first WDW drive from NJ. Surprisingly we are looking forward to it espcially since if all goes well we can visit WDW more than once a year! I've spent a lot of time reading through this thread and have tried to soak all in all great information. Does anyone have any tips on how to avoid traffic and construction on our way down I-95? Due to work and school schedules we are leaving Thursday 4/5 at 5:00 pm. Thanks for any help!
__________________
Me DH DD DS

Wilderness Lodge 2005
Caribbean Beach 2005
Port Orleans Frech Quarter 2006
Old Key West 2007
Beach Club Villas 2008
Beach Club Villas 2009
Disneyland Hotel 2010
Old Key West 2011
Port Orleans French Quarter 2012
Old Key West 2012
Off Site 2013
Yacht Club 2013
discrazy2 is offline  
Old 03-26-2012, 02:24 PM   #817
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 9,642

Quote:
Originally Posted by discrazy2 View Post
We are doing our first WDW drive from NJ. Surprisingly we are looking forward to it espcially since if all goes well we can visit WDW more than once a year! I've spent a lot of time reading through this thread and have tried to soak all in all great information. Does anyone have any tips on how to avoid traffic and construction on our way down I-95? Due to work and school schedules we are leaving Thursday 4/5 at 5:00 pm. Thanks for any help!
leaving at 5:00pm you are going to hit the normal rush hour trafffic. im guessing you will for some time. there is only one way to avoid traffic is travel at night or stay away from i95. just off the top of my head, not trying to leave anyone out, but bc and sharadoc travel that way. (bc is from nj) he has his time lines posted in the last few pages. that will give you some idea as to what times to hit the road.
dvczerfs is offline  
Old 03-26-2012, 06:06 PM   #818
artesian
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 629

Quote:
Originally Posted by discrazy2 View Post
We are doing our first WDW drive from NJ. Surprisingly we are looking forward to it espcially since if all goes well we can visit WDW more than once a year! I've spent a lot of time reading through this thread and have tried to soak all in all great information. Does anyone have any tips on how to avoid traffic and construction on our way down I-95? Due to work and school schedules we are leaving Thursday 4/5 at 5:00 pm. Thanks for any help!
5 isn't bad. You'll hit some on the pike up to exit 5ish. Baltimore by 8 should be ok and DC after shouldn't be that bad. I've left at both 5 and 6 and the little bit later does usually help. Good luck and drive safe
__________________

Last edited by artesian; 03-26-2012 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Lrn2spell
artesian is offline  
Old 03-28-2012, 01:45 PM   #819
fibercut
Earning My Ears
 
fibercut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by discrazy2 View Post
We are doing our first WDW drive from NJ. Surprisingly we are looking forward to it espcially since if all goes well we can visit WDW more than once a year! I've spent a lot of time reading through this thread and have tried to soak all in all great information. Does anyone have any tips on how to avoid traffic and construction on our way down I-95? Due to work and school schedules we are leaving Thursday 4/5 at 5:00 pm. Thanks for any help!
Driving thru the night is tough. I am leaving 4/6 3:00 a.m. from the top of the parkway exit 168. I will be in my room at the BLT by 8:00 p.m. Long day but worth it.
__________________
1975 Contemporary - 1976 Poly - 1977 Contemporary - 1980 WDW Village -1981 WDW Village - 1982 WDW Village -1984 Contemporary - 1985 WDW Grand Vista Homes - 1986 WDW Village - 1987 Poly - 1988 Contemporary - 1989 WDW Village -1994 Floridian - 1997 Disney Institute - 1998 Floridian - 1999 Contemporary - 2000 Contemporary - 2001 VWL - 2003 VWL - 2006 VWL - 2007 BCV - 2008 VWL - 2009 VWL - 2010 BLT - 2011 VWL

fibercut is offline  
Old 03-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #820
Mom-2-2Princesses
Mouseketeer
 
Mom-2-2Princesses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: DE, USA
Posts: 246

Timing help?

Hi everyone,

My family are attempting the drive from Northern Delaware to WDW for the first time next week. I was hoping for some guidence on timing and the route around the DC metro area.

Specifically, we are leaving on April 5, and will do the trip in 2 days. We were thinking of leaving around 8 am that day, which would bring us to the DC area around 11 (I think) and then Richmond just after lunch (I think). Should we leave earlier? Later?

Also, reviewing recommended routes on both GoogleMaps and Mapquest, they suggest different routes around DC. GoogleMaps goes 95/895/MD-295/MD-201/DC295/95. This seems... complicated. Mapquest suggests 95/495 (outer loop)/95. What do you all think?

Any help is hugely appreciated!
Mom-2-2Princesses is offline  
Old 03-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #821
jaminmd
DIS Veteran
 
jaminmd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,581

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom-2-2Princesses View Post
Hi everyone,

My family are attempting the drive from Northern Delaware to WDW for the first time next week. I was hoping for some guidence on timing and the route around the DC metro area.

Specifically, we are leaving on April 5, and will do the trip in 2 days. We were thinking of leaving around 8 am that day, which would bring us to the DC area around 11 (I think) and then Richmond just after lunch (I think). Should we leave earlier? Later?

Also, reviewing recommended routes on both GoogleMaps and Mapquest, they suggest different routes around DC. GoogleMaps goes 95/895/MD-295/MD-201/DC295/95. This seems... complicated. Mapquest suggests 95/495 (outer loop)/95. What do you all think?

Any help is hugely appreciated!
The time you're arriving in this area is good and you're doing it on a weekday when everyone is at work. There should be little beltway traffic at that time, so I'd take the outer loop to 95. Either way around 495 should be ok.
jaminmd is offline  
Old 03-28-2012, 03:19 PM   #822
fibercut
Earning My Ears
 
fibercut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom-2-2Princesses View Post
Hi everyone,

My family are attempting the drive from Northern Delaware to WDW for the first time next week. I was hoping for some guidence on timing and the route around the DC metro area.

Specifically, we are leaving on April 5, and will do the trip in 2 days. We were thinking of leaving around 8 am that day, which would bring us to the DC area around 11 (I think) and then Richmond just after lunch (I think). Should we leave earlier? Later?

Also, reviewing recommended routes on both GoogleMaps and Mapquest, they suggest different routes around DC. GoogleMaps goes 95/895/MD-295/MD-201/DC295/95. This seems... complicated. Mapquest suggests 95/495 (outer loop)/95. What do you all think?

Any help is hugely appreciated!
I would definitely take 895 to MD295 will save you at least 30 minutes. It's not confusing at all. Once you get on MD295 STAY on it until it ends. You will see signs for 95 way before MD295 ends. When you see the Regan airport on your right MD295 you will know the road ends soon. It ends at the Woodrow Wilson Memorial Bridge (he was a evil man) you will follow onto 95/495 for a few miles (capital beltway). Do not take the 295 around Richmond. Your time should be fine. I leave northern NJ at 3:00 Am and we are in Richmond by 8:30 AM. Savannah GA by 2:00 Florida Welcome Center for free OJ by 4:30.
__________________
1975 Contemporary - 1976 Poly - 1977 Contemporary - 1980 WDW Village -1981 WDW Village - 1982 WDW Village -1984 Contemporary - 1985 WDW Grand Vista Homes - 1986 WDW Village - 1987 Poly - 1988 Contemporary - 1989 WDW Village -1994 Floridian - 1997 Disney Institute - 1998 Floridian - 1999 Contemporary - 2000 Contemporary - 2001 VWL - 2003 VWL - 2006 VWL - 2007 BCV - 2008 VWL - 2009 VWL - 2010 BLT - 2011 VWL

fibercut is offline  
Old 03-28-2012, 09:01 PM   #823
BC1836
DIS Veteran
 
BC1836's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: The Jersey Shore
Posts: 2,320

We drove to AK this morning, but our 10:30 arrival was too late to avoid the mega-crowds. Nearly a 100 people lined up for FP for the safari! Yikes!

After FP for Dinosaur, we drove to our secret EPCOT parking area and enjoyed the afternoon there.

All the best.
__________________
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (38 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian
BC1836 is offline  
Old 03-28-2012, 09:20 PM   #824
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 9,642

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
We drove to AK this morning, but our 10:30 arrival was too late to avoid the mega-crowds. Nearly a 100 people lined up for FP for the safari! Yikes!

After FP for Dinosaur, we drove to our secret EPCOT parking area and enjoyed the afternoon there.

All the best.
bc!!! glad your having a good time!! secret epcot parking area???? uhmmmmm
i will have to think about this one.
dvczerfs is offline  
Old 03-29-2012, 05:18 AM   #825
patclairesmom
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 383

BC, now that you've told us there is such thing as a secret Epcot parking spot, you'll have to come clean and share.
__________________
(DH)(Me) (DD):artist(DS)

patclairesmom is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.



You Rated this Thread: