Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 09:37 PM   #751
preschoolmom
DIS Veteran

Favorite foods for the car? We're taking our standards - Pretzels, cereal... Looking for some ideas...

I think we'll make sandwiches for lunch the first day.

What do you pack?
Old 03-14-2012, 09:44 PM   #752
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by preschoolmom View Post
Favorite foods for the car? We're taking our standards - Pretzels, cereal... Looking for some ideas...

What do you pack?
bagel w/cream cheese & jelly for the early post midnight snack (we depart around midnight)

peanut butter & jelly sandwich

[We might pull up to a fast food restuarant's drive-in window for breakfast if it's at a time when we are getting gas.]

turkey & swiss sandwich

fresh cut fruit + bananas

100-calorie bags of snacks

lots of canned and bottled beverages (iced tea, lemonade and Red Bull) in a cooler

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (40 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-15-2012, 09:17 AM   #753
ReneeA
DIS Veteran

Tippy-toeing into this thread for our August trip. This is the thread my DH never, ever wanted to be in...we have to travel 300 miles to visit my family, and he hates that drive. Traveling the 2400 mile RT from Detroit is really going to get to him.

We normally go annually the same 10 days every year - last week of August through Labor Day, and fly Spirit from Detroit to Orlando and back. We've never paid more than $700 for the 4 of us, and we get great flight times - into Orlando by 9am, fly out at 7pm to return.

This year? Our flight is priced at $1300 and the flight times stink. Oh, and last year my kids missed the first day of school, we had to get an airport hotel room, and spent an additional $400 or so because our flight home on Labor Day was cancelled. This year I'd like to avoid that hassle if possible.

The plan so far is to leave Fri Aug 24th about 3pm and drive until midnight. I'm guessing we can get into Tennessee, or possibly to the Georgia border in that amount of time. Gotta find a cheap, clean, SAFE room around that area to stay in. Then we'll leave Sun Sept 2nd at about 2pm to return home. I'm hoping to be able to drive straight through, but I'm not opposed to stopping.

Either way, I'm having fun reading these threads, and it's not seeming so horrible to me now!
1980 offsite, 1988 offsite, Aug 1998 offsite, Apr 1999 offsite, Aug 2005 (free dining) ASMo, Aug 2006 (free dining) CSR, Aug 2007 CSR, Aug 2008 (free dining) CSR, Aug 2010 (free dining) CBR, Aug 2012 WL, Feb 2014 girl's trip AS Sports
Old 03-15-2012, 10:01 AM   #754
preschoolmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeA View Post
Tippy-toeing into this thread for our August trip. This is the thread my DH never, ever wanted to be in...we have to travel 300 miles to visit my family, and he hates that drive. Traveling the 2400 mile RT from Detroit is really going to get to him.

We normally go annually the same 10 days every year - last week of August through Labor Day, and fly Spirit from Detroit to Orlando and back. We've never paid more than $700 for the 4 of us, and we get great flight times - into Orlando by 9am, fly out at 7pm to return.

This year? Our flight is priced at $1300 and the flight times stink. Oh, and last year my kids missed the first day of school, we had to get an airport hotel room, and spent an additional $400 or so because our flight home on Labor Day was cancelled. This year I'd like to avoid that hassle if possible.

The plan so far is to leave Fri Aug 24th about 3pm and drive until midnight. I'm guessing we can get into Tennessee, or possibly to the Georgia border in that amount of time. Gotta find a cheap, clean, SAFE room around that area to stay in. Then we'll leave Sun Sept 2nd at about 2pm to return home. I'm hoping to be able to drive straight through, but I'm not opposed to stopping.

Either way, I'm having fun reading these threads, and it's not seeming so horrible to me now!
No question it is a long, long drive - but so worth it, IMO. I hope it goes smoothly for you! We have done lots of driving trips with our kids - and there is nothing like getting out at a rest stop in some other state, and feeling like you're part of the whole American tradition of taking a road trip! I love hauling my sleepy kids into rest stops, and seeing all the other travelers doing the same thing.

Make the drive part of the adventure!
Old 03-15-2012, 12:42 PM   #755
WI_DisneyFan
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all the feedback on my sightseeing question. The more I think about it, the more I realize that we'll just be too anxious to get there on the drive down to want to spend time touring. And on the way home, we'll be tired and will just want to get home. And that's how we did it as a kid, too. "Second star to the right and straight on 'till morning".

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis4 View Post
Joining in this thread. We are making our first trip to WDW this September. Given the cost of flying for a larger family along with the hassles with air travel nowadays, we made the decision to drive. Almost 1300 miles each way, per Google Maps.

I've been reading this entire thread with interest as it has been a while since we've done a trek this big. We've done big trips like Wisconsin to Maine, and Wisconsin to Texas before, though. We like to start our trips in the evening, drive about 12 hours, break in the morning for a few hours for DH to nap, drive a little in the afternoon and then stop at a hotel for the night. The kids are a bit older now, but I still think that will be our plan. If we hit it all according to plan, we should leave our driveway about 6-7 pm central time on a Thursday and roll into our hotel at WDW by noon on a Saturday.

We are coming from south central Wisconsin, two drivers and five kids. Should be a good time in the Family Truckster.
Welcome fellow cheesehead! South Central, so Madison area? I'm from the Sheboygan area. Our plan is slightly different than yours. I do much better waking up early than I do staying up late, so we'll be leaving home no later than 4:00 am Saturday morning. We'll drive until we get south of Atlanta, hopefully around 7:00 pm. Then we'll leave Atlanta after breakfast and continue on to Orlando. Since we won't get to Orlando until Sunday afternoon, we're getting a non-Disney hotel for the night before we check in to our Disney resort Monday morning. I haven't given much thought yet to the return trip. That one will actually be a little dicier since we'll be leaving Anna Maria Island on Wednesday, so we'll have to worry about midweek traffic in Atlanta, Nashville, and the other big cities we'll be going through. We won't have to worry about that on the way down since that entire drive will take place on the weekend. But that just gives me something to plan, which is half the fun for me anyway.

I saw a lion he was standing alone
With a tadpole in a jar
Old 03-15-2012, 01:27 PM   #756
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:

What do you pack?
Our must-haves: peeled hard boiled eggs, individual M&Ms bags, bottles of water, some sort of nuts, regular and flavored (honey wheat, mustard) pretzels, granola bars, bananas. We don't like to eat meals, just graze.

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
Old 03-15-2012, 01:42 PM   #757
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:

What do you pack?
Deer sausage!!!
Old 03-15-2012, 05:41 PM   #758
nono
DIS Veteran

Quote:
What do you pack?

Cold pizza!
Old 03-15-2012, 11:46 PM   #759
cruisingkat
DIS Veteran

Quote:

What do you pack?
We stop at Subway in the morning for a breakfast sandwich, at the same time we pick up a sandwich for lunch since they make those that early in the morning also. Put the lunch sandwich in the cooler and now we don't have to look for someplace to eat on the way down.
Day before I make a batch of brownies and we cut into slices and individually wrap each one with saran wrap.
I bring chips in those Park popcorn buckets - yellow lid is potato chips, orange lid is fritoes, purple lid is brownies, red lid is the pretzels, green lid is the Mios, etc. The popcorn buckets protect the chips and the different colored lids lets me know what is inside without having to open each. Also helps keep the chips fresh down in humid FL.
I bring a bunch of Iced Vias to turn our bottled water into iced coffee.

Last edited by cruisingkat; 03-15-2012 at 11:54 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:06 AM   #760
Belle0101
New Rule:
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the delete of nevermind edit we know what was there.

This October will be our 4th time driving to WDW, all 2243 (RT) miles. We've flown 4 other times to WDW, and 1 time to Universal, but the flight, gas to the airport, airport parking fees, and the like, make it too cost prohibitive this time around.

We'll be leaving on a Thursday at 5PM, driving straight through, and arriving early afternoon Friday.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:18 AM   #761
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

CHeese balls!!!! Never leave home without them. Nothing like the orange stained fingers pulling into the rest stop!!!
Old 03-16-2012, 09:29 AM   #762
WeLoveLilo05
DIS Veteran

Driving home labor day weekend?!?

Wondering what that will be like! Anyone ever done it? We would be driving back home to Jersey, taking I95, leaving WDW probably 5ish. Are we crazy? I am actually rethinking this trip and maybe doing the very end of September but IDK if I'd want to take my daughter out of school for 7 days.

"Nothing is impossible, the word itself says "I'm Possible." ~ Audrey Hepburn

Old 03-16-2012, 10:36 AM   #763
Nik's Mom
Karl Pilkington is a genius

We always pack a cooler full of snacks for road trips. I buy a multi pack box of mini oreos, chip ahoy, and nutter butters, I also have pretzels and plain crackers. For drinks, we have tons of bottle water, and some capri sun juice.

Proud Mom to 2 boys, and wife to a great husband!
Old 03-16-2012, 11:53 AM   #764
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisingkat View Post
We stop at Subway in the morning for a breakfast sandwich, at the same time we pick up a sandwich for lunch since they make those that early in the morning also. Put the lunch sandwich in the cooler and now we don't have to look for someplace to eat on the way down.
Day before I make a batch of brownies and we cut into slices and individually wrap each one with saran wrap.
I bring chips in those Park popcorn buckets - yellow lid is potato chips, orange lid is fritoes, purple lid is brownies, red lid is the pretzels, green lid is the Mios, etc. The popcorn buckets protect the chips and the different colored lids lets me know what is inside without having to open each. Also helps keep the chips fresh down in humid FL.
I bring a bunch of Iced Vias to turn our bottled water into iced coffee.
I love the idea of using park popcorn buckets. That's a great idea and is a better use than markers! We have a few unused ones that are just put away as souvenirs. I'm taking them out for the next trip.

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
Old 03-16-2012, 01:02 PM   #765
preschoolmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
CHeese balls!!!! Never leave home without them. Nothing like the orange stained fingers pulling into the rest stop!!!
Like! That's total road trip food!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: