Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 06:51 AM   #631
Disneyholic
Official Disneyholic! CM Wannabe! I'll Never Grow Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
Flying to Texas soon.

Air fare costs and fees, baggage limitations, baggage fees, carry-on bag's content restrictions, getting to the airport, the TSA experience, hoping flight is on time, the overhead bin battle, the stagnant cabin air, hoping for a smooth flight, hoping bags don't get damaged or lost, securing ground transportation to the hotel.

One month until our next drive to WDW!

All the best.
Adding to that - someone (possibly not anyone in your party but someone else ) passing gas. At least in the car you can open the windows to air it out.We had an older couple & their grandson in front of us on a trip on a plane once and someone in their group tooted the whole way home.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:11 AM   #632
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
I hit Charlotte sat. Morning around 8am and hit it on a Sunday around 10am. I've never hit char. At rush hour.
We hit it around 7:00 p.m. on a Sunday and you would think it WAS rush hour -- not that the traffic is backed up, rather they are moving fast. White knuckle all the way with me shouting, "Left exit, left exit! Slow down, 25, sharp curve, slow down, 25, slow down!"
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-29-2012, 07:13 AM   #633
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi everyone that has been following Tammys health problem.Just a quick update. I had her to philly today. she had an mri at 7am and two dr. appointments after that. We got out of the last dr. office at 3:30 and she is now on a bus to New york city till thursday night for work.
Her mri has come back with very little to no swelling on her brain at all anymore. The tumor, which was sterotactic radiated (if that makes sence, sorry, long day ) in September of 2010 has got smaller. They did not think it would get as small as its getting and there is no signs of anything brewing. We were going everry three months for mris and drs. and now we are evey six months!!! we are both very happy and thank everyone for there thoughts, prayers and yes, even pixie dust today!!! (thanks sharon!)
Wonderful news!
Old 02-29-2012, 10:23 AM   #634
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
We hit it around 7:00 p.m. on a Sunday and you would think it WAS rush hour -- not that the traffic is backed up, rather they are moving fast. White knuckle all the way with me shouting, "Left exit, left exit! Slow down, 25, sharp curve, slow down, 25, slow down!"
Quote:
Wonderful news!
thank you!
i just cant think where there is a left exit thats only 25mph.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:48 PM   #635
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
thank you!
i just cant think where there is a left exit thats only 25mph.
Well, we've only gone that way twice and I'm pretty sure it was in Charlotte. It was in an area of road construction and wasn't well marked at all. Ran into in both Oct. 2007 and April 2009. All of a sudden, boom, there it was, with big signs "25" to tell you to slow down. Sharp curve off to the left, very narrow. That was why we tried 95 for our Oct. 2010 trip, and we hit the road construction on the west side of DC and remembered why we never visit DC.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:05 PM   #636
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz5985 View Post
I drove down from Boston last summer and went that route. Never again. I have never hit enough traffic to justify the extra time spent on this route. Never mind all the trucks. My Father always told me - 95, 95, 95. Now I believe him. But I did figure out one thing - I alway's worried about traffic in NYC, Washington, DC - but in reality it is the Northern VA that's the worst. So I need to figure out when the good time is for that section.

Planning my next drive in August - taking the Autotrain home. Can't wait!!!

Janis
I am absolutely in the same place as you. We prefer 95 and we're looking at an alternate route for our trip in August, but it adds around 2 hours. Which means it's the same as sitting in traffic on 95 for 2 hours LOL. Friday and Saturday during the summer, and most of the rush hour are the worst in northern VA. Not sure what that leaves, but I'm hoping around noon to 1 in the afternoon on a weekday would be good.

When in August are you driving? Our next trip is in August too.

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
Old 02-29-2012, 09:22 PM   #637
cruisingkat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbarker View Post
I have been reviewing this thread and most posts have a very strong east coast influence, not that there is anything wrong with that!!. Would love to hear from some posters from the midwest. I am from outside Chicago and will b, leaving on March 23, 2012. We plan on driving down to Lousiville that night and then on to Valdosta GA Saturday night. We plan on getting into WDW about 12pm on Sunday.

Roundtrip for us is about 2,300miles. Anyone else planning a similar tirp and do you have any inside information on roads and construction?

Let me know, thanks all
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBeBop View Post
There's a number of us Midwesterners. I'm assuming you're taking 65-24-75-turnpike to WDW. There's a lot of people from Chicago who takes 57-24-75-turnpike. That's about an hour longer, but you bypass the trucks on I-65. Since I live nowhere near Chicago, I don't know the I-57 route, but I do know I-65 does have traffic. Not tremendous traffic. But enough.

What time do you plan on getting into Louisville on the 23rd. I wouldn't try to cross into Kentucky during rush hour. One of major bridges across the Ohio River. the I-64 bridge, is closed for repairs. That's one less way to cross the river. Most times, you'll be OK. I just see a lot of headaches during rush hour. You can stay just north of Louisville in Southern Indiana. That way, you can cross into Kentucky on Saturday morning.

Driving through Atlanta is always the sticking point. You'll be fine, since you're travelling on a weekend. Just stick to the carpool (far left lane), and you'll be fine. However, if you're coming home on a weekday, just make sure you avoid Atlanta during rush hour.

You'll do fine. Good luck. And if you make a side trip to Cincinnati on the way down, will you pick me up?
We drive down to Disney from the Chicago area several times a year. We have tried the 65-24-75-Turnpike route, but prefer the 57-24-75-Turnpike route. They say that the 57 route takes a little longer, but found that it really takes about the same time as the 65 route. Although IN's speed limit is higher than IL, the difference in total time is minimal. IN does have a lower speed limit for trucks unlike IL which has the same speed limit for trucks and cars. With all the truck traffic on 65, you can really get bogged down when trucks pass trucks. There doesn't seem to be as much truck traffic in IL.
We just drove back from FL and hit Atlanta at 5pm on a Mon. Traffic was very good - especially if you stay in the HOV lanes. We were expecting the worse and were really surprised by how fast we got through. To us Nashville is the worst part of the trip - there are several interstates that merge and separate in a short period and you have to switch from left lanes and right lanes. Doing this in rush hour can be a bit of a challenge.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:25 PM   #638
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well, we've only gone that way twice and I'm pretty sure it was in Charlotte. It was in an area of road construction and wasn't well marked at all. Ran into in both Oct. 2007 and April 2009. All of a sudden, boom, there it was, with big signs "25" to tell you to slow down. Sharp curve off to the left, very narrow. That was why we tried 95 for our Oct. 2010 trip, and we hit the road construction on the west side of DC and remembered why we never visit DC.
i was going 81-66-17-95 during that construction. i think maybe our september trip we will go down 81-66-17-95 again. you get use to avoiding richmond and it kind of grows on you.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:17 PM   #639
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyholic View Post
Adding to that - someone (possibly not anyone in your party but someone else ) passing gas. At least in the car you can open the windows to air it out.We had an older couple & their grandson in front of us on a trip on a plane once and someone in their group tooted the whole way home.
Indeed. One of the surprises associated with flying.

We look forward to our next DRIVE!

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (38 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian
Old 03-01-2012, 06:08 PM   #640
LadyBeBop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisingkat View Post
We just drove back from FL and hit Atlanta at 5pm on a Mon. Traffic was very good - especially if you stay in the HOV lanes. We were expecting the worse and were really surprised by how fast we got through. To us Nashville is the worst part of the trip - there are several interstates that merge and separate in a short period and you have to switch from left lanes and right lanes. Doing this in rush hour can be a bit of a challenge.
I agree with you. We've never had any problems going through Atlanta (although we never go through during rush hour). But I hate going through Nashville. Too much switching lanes in a short period of time.

Although I think part of it (for me) is that we stay on I-75 while going through Atlanta. That's a straight shot. Going through Nashville, we switch interstates from I-65 to I-40 west (we take it to visit my daughter in Louisiana). And I think I-24 sneaks in somewhere as well. That's too many interstates in just a few miles.

Quote:
What? 2019 or 2020? Say it ain't so!

You must "sneak in a day" next year. That's an order!
Old 03-01-2012, 10:23 PM   #641
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBeBop View Post
I agree with you. We've never had any problems going through Atlanta (although we never go through during rush hour). But I hate going through Nashville. Too much switching lanes in a short period of time.

Although I think part of it (for me) is that we stay on I-75 while going through Atlanta. That's a straight shot. Going through Nashville, we switch interstates from I-65 to I-40 west (we take it to visit my daughter in Louisiana). And I think I-24 sneaks in somewhere as well. That's too many interstates in just a few miles.
You'd hate St. Louis - I64, I44, I55, and I70 share one bridge
Old 03-02-2012, 02:37 AM   #642
buzz5985
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadoc View Post
I am absolutely in the same place as you. We prefer 95 and we're looking at an alternate route for our trip in August, but it adds around 2 hours. Which means it's the same as sitting in traffic on 95 for 2 hours LOL. Friday and Saturday during the summer, and most of the rush hour are the worst in northern VA. Not sure what that leaves, but I'm hoping around noon to 1 in the afternoon on a weekday would be good.

When in August are you driving? Our next trip is in August too.
We are leaving either 8/3 or 8/4. We are scheduled to check into HH on August 5, BWV on August 9, THV on August 14, Autotrain home on August 17. We may stop and see my cousins in Washington DC on the way down or the way back, so that is the difference in the leaving dates.

Northern VA is the worst!!!! I can never get through there without a problem. But I was always trying to avoid problems around NYC - which I think has been our problem. I work nights, so don't mind driving at night. We may just drive thru to HH. Leave Boston around 4 pm Saturday. DH can drive till midnight, then I will take over.

Janis
Old 03-02-2012, 09:32 PM   #643
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz5985 View Post
We are leaving either 8/3 or 8/4. We are scheduled to check into HH on August 5, BWV on August 9, THV on August 14, Autotrain home on August 17. We may stop and see my cousins in Washington DC on the way down or the way back, so that is the difference in the leaving dates.

Northern VA is the worst!!!! I can never get through there without a problem. But I was always trying to avoid problems around NYC - which I think has been our problem. I work nights, so don't mind driving at night. We may just drive thru to HH. Leave Boston around 4 pm Saturday. DH can drive till midnight, then I will take over.

Janis
Sounds like a great trip! We're checking in on the 14th so we'll overlap a couple of the days. We're lucky that we don't worry about major cities until Wilmington Delaware. If we had to deal with NYC, I think we'd drive out west first LOL. We drove into the city one time for a long weekend and never again! Scariest driving ever.

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
Old 03-03-2012, 09:01 AM   #644
preschoolmom
DIS Veteran

We're getting ready to do the drive from Chicago to Walt Disney World... Any major construction areas that we need to be aware of?

We've done this drive once before (four years ago, the kids were all sick ). They are great car travelers in general, we do the Chicago to NJ trip pretty frequently as well.

We're planning for one stop, as far south as we can get the first day (hopefully just after Atlanta? Anything south of Chattanooga is gravy).

Then hit Disney early afternoon the second day.

We'll do the reverse on the way home
Old 03-03-2012, 11:57 AM   #645
LadyBeBop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
You'd hate St. Louis - I64, I44, I55, and I70 share one bridge
Last time we drove through St. Louis, we missed the turnoff from the bridge, and got lost. And that was with a GPS.

Fortunately, we go through St. Louis once in a blue moon.

Quote:
What? 2019 or 2020? Say it ain't so!

You must "sneak in a day" next year. That's an order!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: