Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 08:53 AM   #316
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyholic View Post
Thanks, dvc, I am planning on either stopping on the way home or taking the auto-train home when we travel in January. It all depends on the weather whether we drive back with a stop or take the train. And yes we are getting old, so I guess we may have to join the old folks. What age range are you in????? Just curious.

Going down the adrenaline is pumping and it makes it a lot easier to go straight through, although we OLD people do need a nap stop along the way to rest our weary eyes.
i am the oldest 46 year old you will ever meet. we have to meet up sometime, we live 20 min. from each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadoc View Post
Hey there!

We'll be driving on a Saturday if we go straight through. I just don't know if I can leave that early and be actually awake! It was tough in June. I was just thinking that instead of getting to bed early and sleepng at Disney, we may as well use that time to drive part of the way home.

Okay wise guy, we are OLD At least that's how it feels some days! We can't afford the train LOL.

We need to figure out the best way to do it. We were wiped out for days last time. The worst part was that we got stuck in traffic in Baltimore - they had half the tunnel closed off so we spent an hour going down to 2 lanes at 10:30 at night!!!! Yuck.
ill drive fl., ga and into sc. tammy drives about 2 hours and than i drive the rest of the way home. when im not missing exits.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:45 AM   #317
amcnj
DIS Veteran

We traditionally try to leave WDW around 8 - 9 AM, and stop overnight in Emporia VA. But the last time we left at 8 AM, made really good time (only "lost" about 15-20 minutes due to heavy rain for 25 miles once we got 10 miles north of WDW), made minimal stops, and calculated we were going to be in Emporia around 6:30 pm. So we cancelled the reservation, pressed onward and were back home in NJ a little after midnight. I always dread that second day of driving when you are anxious to get home, so this actually was preferable to me. We stopped a total of 80 minutes.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-09-2011, 01:26 PM   #318
Disneyholic
Official Disneyholic! CM Wannabe! I'll Never Grow Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
i am the oldest 46 year old you will ever meet. we have to meet up sometime, we live 20 min. from each other.
Are you really 46 or is that when you stopped counting?'

I just turned 58 & DH is 67. We are young for our age and both just got new motorcycles to tour with once we retire. We'll be stopping more often when we do that cause we will both be doing ALL the driving. I have also looked into taking them on the Auto-Train.

When we were younger the ride didn't seem as long, but the older we get the harder it is to keep the eyes open that long. The last 2 trips we realized that for us 2 - 3 hours of driving before switching worked out much better. The eyes didn't get quite as tired and recovered faster than when we each did 6 - 8 hours before switching. I also found that I slept better during my off time, because we would switch before he got the jolts which always wakes me up with a case of bad nerves cause I feel like we are going off the road. I start getting the jolts too after driving too long, and that scares me.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:31 PM   #319
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Are you really 46 or is that when you stopped counting?'

I just turned 58 & DH is 67. We are young for our age and both just got new motorcycles to tour with once we retire. We'll be stopping more often when we do that cause we will both be doing ALL the driving. I have also looked into taking them on the Auto-Train.

When we were younger the ride didn't seem as long, but the older we get the harder it is to keep the eyes open that long. The last 2 trips we realized that for us 2 - 3 hours of driving before switching worked out much better. The eyes didn't get quite as tired and recovered faster than when we each did 6 - 8 hours before switching. I also found that I slept better during my off time, because we would switch before he got the jolts which always wakes me up with a case of bad nerves cause I feel like we are going off the road. I start getting the jolts too after driving too long, and that scares me.
nope, im 46. born aug. 23. 1965 in st.lukes hospital. i was up at the disney store this morning, i found some stuff for the wife but over the years, the place has become a toy store. traffic was nuts too.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:04 PM   #320
Disneyholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
nope, im 46. born aug. 23. 1965 in st.lukes hospital. i was up at the disney store this morning, i found some stuff for the wife but over the years, the place has become a toy store. traffic was nuts too.
I was born at Allentown General. Dad always said that the doctor didn't deliver me, the nurses did. They came out and said that the lady who had just gone in had just delivered a girl and then the doctor walked into the delivery room and a few minutes later came out and told Dad he had a girl. Of course he already knew & told him so. I am always in a hurry. I guess I started out that way. Couldn't wait to be born.

Now as we get older the drive down is great, but coming home, not so much.

I've been disappointed with the Disney Store for a while. They used to have a large selection of stuff for adults, but now, your right, it is more of a toy store. I still go in there when we are at the mall just to get my Disney fix though. DH loves to go in there, too.

Just a few more weeks till we drive to WDW. Can't wait. I'm not even as excited about Christmas as I am to be going to Disney.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:12 PM   #321
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Howdy!

We have about an hour to go before we depart for WDW.

We wish all 2,000+ mile round-trip drivers well as we begin round-trip drive #25.

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (40 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk
Old 12-09-2011, 10:18 PM   #322
Disneyholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
Howdy!

We have about an hour to go before we depart for WDW.

We wish all 2,000+ mile round-trip drivers well as we begin round-trip drive #25.

All the best.
Safe travels. Have a good time. Our time is coming soon, but not soon enough for me or DH.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:06 AM   #323
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Safe travels. Have a good time. Our time is coming soon, but not soon enough for me or DH.
Thanks!

Greetings from Lake Buena Vista, Fl!
We departed the Jersey Shore at 12:18 a.m. yesterday and crossed the Delaware Memorial Bridge at 1:55 a.m.

We entered the following states at these times:

MD...2:10 a.m.
VA...3.55 a.m.
NC...7:02 a.m.
SC...10:35 a.m.
GA...1:50 p.m.
FL...3::46 p.m.
FL...I-4...5:40 p.m.
Lake Buena Vista...6:48 p.m.

1,064 miles

Two gas stops (exit $33 in VA and exit #68 in SC): both $3.29 regular.

We took more rest stop breaks than usual due to a lack of sleep the previous night.

Lots of State Police activity in NJ.

Some construction in NJ on I-95 and MD; no delays during the early morning hours.

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (40 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk
Old 12-11-2011, 08:40 AM   #324
nono
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calle&Jakesmom View Post
WOW! Still looks good to me. My last fill up here in New England was $3.37 a gallon!
We're looking forwar to lower gas prices as we go south in February. My memory is that prices get cheaper as we go south- but maybe not in CT, NY, NJ, and Virginia. Should we fill up at home and try to just north of DC before we gas up again??
I'd drop NJ from your list, in most cases. NJ has some of the cheaper prices in the Northeast. Now, the only thing that could mess you up is that the stations that have the exclusive contracts on the main highway rest areas are not allowed to change their prices as quickly as those off-highway. So, say there's a big price drop a couple days before you travel, then NJ won't be a good bet unless you get off at an exit v. a rest area on the Parkway or Turnpike.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:36 PM   #325
blondietink
DIS Veteran

Left WDW at 9 am today.Arrived in Mt. Airy NC about 8 pm for the night. Cheapest gas so far has been Rock Hill SC at $2.98. We're hoping to see the $2.89 in Virginia that we bought 2 weeks ago on the way south. Here's hoping the rest of the way is free of rain and snow.

We thought the parks were busier than when we came at this time of year 4 years ago. I expected the Pop Warner groups, but there were those dreaded Brazilian tour groups also. The tree in Mk was not up on Monday, but was up when we went back to MK on Wednesday. Saw Fantasmic and Osborne Lights on Tuesday, and both were very uncrowded. Had a great time. One week is not long enough to see everything at this time of year. DH got sick which didn't help my schedule.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:39 PM   #326
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
Thanks!

Greetings from Lake Buena Vista, Fl!
We departed the Jersey Shore at 12:18 a.m. yesterday and crossed the Delaware Memorial Bridge at 1:55 a.m.

We entered the following states at these times:

MD...2:10 a.m.
VA...3.55 a.m.
NC...7:02 a.m.
SC...10:35 a.m.
GA...1:50 p.m.
FL...3::46 p.m.
FL...I-4...5:40 p.m.
Lake Buena Vista...6:48 p.m.

1,064 miles

Two gas stops (exit $33 in VA and exit #68 in SC): both $3.29 regular.

We took more rest stop breaks than usual due to a lack of sleep the previous night.

Lots of State Police activity in NJ.

Some construction in NJ on I-95 and MD; no delays during the early morning hours.

All the best.
Have a great trip!

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
Old 12-15-2011, 07:21 AM   #327
nono
DIS Veteran

Hey, did everyone sneak of to WDW without telling me? We're getting geared up for our drive early in the new year.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:11 AM   #328
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

We are about 900 miles (MD) to Disney and we've driven 3 times to Disney, 2 times to cruise out of Jaxport and 2 times to cruise out of Port Canaveral. 4 years ago we lived about 260 miles (NC) closer to Disney and that was not a bad drive...we did it 4 times. We are 38 and just did the drive this past July. The- straight through- drive home was AWFUL!!!!! We said we'd never do it again, though we've said that many times before. It seems like we can handle about 8 hours. We are going to Disney next week and are flying for the 1st time because we got really great rates on airfare. I am REALLY looking forward to not having that drive.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:12 PM   #329
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Howdy!

We've been here about a week and it's been wonderful! We've used our vehicle a number of times, like last night when we went to AKL and FWL to photograph their Christmas trees.

We had VIP seats for Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party!
[We were pinching ourselves.]

Today, we were on the launch to the MK (via the Poly) and later took a cruiser to Fort Wilderness where we paid respects to Fess Parker and Davy Crockett at the Crockett Tavern.

Ah....

All the best.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:32 PM   #330
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Howdy!

We've been here about a week and it's been wonderful! We've used our vehicle a number of times, like last night when we went to AKL and FWL to photograph their Christmas trees.

We had VIP seats for Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party!
[We were pinching ourselves.]

Today, we were on the launch to the MK (via the Poly) and later took a cruiser to Fort Wilderness where we paid respects to Fess Parker and Davy Crockett at the Crockett Tavern.

Ah....

All the best.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: