Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 06:01 PM   #301
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
Our "low" local price of $3.07 will probably not last long since the crude oil per-barrel price was up over 50-cents today and broke the $100 mark. Developments in Iran don't help.

All the best.
gas didnt go up much. its only at 2.55. that puts me around 3.15 around here if it sticks. i dont know how much iran has to do with it anymore. i guess the russians stills buy there oil. i try to figure it out and every time i think i got it, the price does something stupid and i get lost again.
its pretty bad when gas prices are more stable then the dow.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:31 PM   #302
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
gas didnt go up much. its only at 2.55. that puts me around 3.15 around here if it sticks. i dont know how much iran has to do with it anymore. i guess the russians stills buy there oil.
If the EU goes forth with a suggested oil embargo, it will increase its demand in the market that the US buys into, which would result in an increase at the pump. [Iran, with a little more than 5% of the world's petroleum annual market share, would probably offer cheaper oil to Russia and China, two of its current customers.]

Until then, we're getting ready to begin a December WDW drive countdown! To infinity and beyond (aka trying to close the gap with dvczerf's all-time number of drives record!)

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (40 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-30-2011, 07:10 PM   #303
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
If the EU goes forth with a suggested oil embargo, it will increase its demand in the market that the US buys into, which would result in an increase at the pump. [Iran, with a little more than 5% of the world's petroleum annual market share, would probably offer cheaper oil to Russia and China, two of its current customers.]

Until then, we're getting ready to begin a December WDW drive countdown! To infinity and beyond (aka trying to close the gap with dvczerf's all-time number of drives record!)

All the best.
i only have two trips in 2012, may and september, you may gain some ground on me.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:04 PM   #304
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
i only have two trips in 2012, may and september, you may gain some ground on me.
We don't think we'll gain any ground: we have only one 2012 trip booked so far. Probably one more after that. And, perhaps, one Disneyland trip (via jet not CRV).

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (40 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk
Old 12-02-2011, 01:05 PM   #305
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
We don't think we'll gain any ground: we have only one 2012 trip booked so far. Probably one more after that. And, perhaps, one Disneyland trip (via jet not CRV).

All the best.
None of us will. It's a nice goal to dream about, but I think we'd have to go 4 times a year for 10 years to catch up!!

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
Old 12-03-2011, 09:44 AM   #306
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadoc View Post
None of us will. It's a nice goal to dream about, but I think we'd have to go 4 times a year for 10 years to catch up!!
So true! And that's assuming that dvczerfs never makes another drive! [To be sure, that ain't a gonna happen.]

Our countdown for drive #25 (all since 2002) is approaching.

All the best.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:55 PM   #307
disneymarie
Its a rumour about the donuts...
Can we play Nancy Drew?

Exclamation

Heads up,
Storm threat on Wed. I-95 corridor.
We were in the last unexpected foot of snow, so watch the forcast diligently if driving down or back this week.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weathe...o-nyc-bo/58651
Old 12-08-2011, 11:47 AM   #308
sharadoc

So, we're deciding what to do on our next drive. We know we'll do straight through on the way down. Leave around 4 am, get there by 8-9 pm.

Coming home is a different story. Last time, we left by 7 and got home by 1:30 am. Tiring. I'm thinking we should stop on the way home but not sure how to structure it.

First idea - leave WDW around 6 pm, drive to S. Carolina (5-6 hours), sleep in Walterboro, then drive home the next day (10-12 hours). I think this would give us a better overall experience with fatigue, since we're tired from our trip. Plus we'd have time to stop at a local diner for lunch or dinner rather than rushing past everything in a hurry to get home.

Just wondering if anyone has tried this method. Our philosophy has always been long first day, short second day. We'd be doing it backwards and didn't know if it would get on our nerves that way!

Love to hear your opinions.

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
Old 12-08-2011, 02:18 PM   #309
angwill
I just want to live at WDW!

Quote:
So, we're deciding what to do on our next drive. We know we'll do straight through on the way down. Leave around 4 am, get there by 8-9 pm.

Coming home is a different story. Last time, we left by 7 and got home by 1:30 am. Tiring. I'm thinking we should stop on the way home but not sure how to structure it.

First idea - leave WDW around 6 pm, drive to S. Carolina (5-6 hours), sleep in Walterboro, then drive home the next day (10-12 hours). I think this would give us a better overall experience with fatigue, since we're tired from our trip. Plus we'd have time to stop at a local diner for lunch or dinner rather than rushing past everything in a hurry to get home.

Just wondering if anyone has tried this method. Our philosophy has always been long first day, short second day. We'd be doing it backwards and didn't know if it would get on our nerves that way!

We have done the short first day long second day and personally I won't ever do it again. The long second day is so irritating and worse than driving straight through.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:41 PM   #310
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by angwill View Post
We have done the short first day long second day and personally I won't ever do it again. The long second day is so irritating and worse than driving straight through.
Agreed!

We prefer departing WDW around 9 a.m. and attempting to reach either Emporia or Petersburg, VA. Then the next morning, it's the "short drive" from VA to the Jersey Shore. Of course, weekend traffic is different from work-week traffic...and the season of the year also must be taken into account. But for us, we try to get at least 60% to 70% of the return-home drive completed on day #1 of a two-day return-home drive.

We would probably never attempt a straight-through drive from WDW to home because we are not initiating the drive until around 9 a.m. But a straight-drive to WDW? That's a different story; in fact, that's our preferred method for our last six drives (and eight out of the last twelve).

Hmm. Let's see. Tomorrow night is a full moon; no precipitation of note in the multi-state I-95 forecast; gas at $3.09. Hmm.

All the best.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:54 PM   #311
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:

hit the road by 3:30am. orlando and jacksonville is sleeping when you go through. you will be in your driveway by 7:30-8:00pm. have i ever steered you wrong before?
HI SHARON!!!!!
Old 12-08-2011, 07:57 PM   #312
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

all these people stopping overnight. just take the train with the old people.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:15 PM   #313
Calle&Jakesmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Our "low" local price of $3.07 will probably not last long since the crude oil per-barrel price was up over 50-cents today and broke the $100 mark. Developments in Iran don't help.

All the best.
WOW! Still looks good to me. My last fill up here in New England was $3.37 a gallon!
We're looking forwar to lower gas prices as we go south in February. My memory is that prices get cheaper as we go south- but maybe not in CT, NY, NJ, and Virginia. Should we fill up at home and try to just north of DC before we gas up again??
Old 12-08-2011, 09:58 PM   #314
Disneyholic
Official Disneyholic! CM Wannabe! I'll Never Grow Up!

Quote:
Thanks, dvc, I am planning on either stopping on the way home or taking the auto-train home when we travel in January. It all depends on the weather whether we drive back with a stop or take the train. And yes we are getting old, so I guess we may have to join the old folks. What age range are you in????? Just curious.

Going down the adrenaline is pumping and it makes it a lot easier to go straight through, although we OLD people do need a nap stop along the way to rest our weary eyes.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:34 PM   #315
sharadoc

Quote:
hit the road by 3:30am. orlando and jacksonville is sleeping when you go through. you will be in your driveway by 7:30-8:00pm. have i ever steered you wrong before?
HI SHARON!!!!!
Quote:
Hey there!

We'll be driving on a Saturday if we go straight through. I just don't know if I can leave that early and be actually awake! It was tough in June. I was just thinking that instead of getting to bed early and sleepng at Disney, we may as well use that time to drive part of the way home.

Okay wise guy, we are OLD At least that's how it feels some days! We can't afford the train LOL.

We need to figure out the best way to do it. We were wiped out for days last time. The worst part was that we got stuck in traffic in Baltimore - they had half the tunnel closed off so we spent an hour going down to 2 lanes at 10:30 at night!!!! Yuck.

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: