Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 12:16 PM   #286
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just*the*ten*of*us View Post
I will definitely be doing a trip report, hopefully some time this weekend I can get it started. I will definitely tell Chris to pop over there....he put a pic of him and his first dole whip up but it kinda got trampled over by the old thread closing, so I dont think anyone saw it. I mean who wants to look at him when they can see ahem....well you know what was on there.....

well I mean, thats what I heard anyway....I would never ever peek.
i didnt see the post. i also dont get involved with "thread closings." i never did and never will. i dont post that kind of stuff here or any where for that matter. i cant say to much because i didnt see it so im not sure what they did. id rather stay out of it.
anyway, looking frward to the trip report!!!

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!
2000+ MILE ROUND TRIP DRIVING THREAD.. DOUBLE DIAMOND DRIVER!

Old 11-27-2011, 07:33 AM   #287
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess06 View Post
We will be driving to Fla for the Christmas holiday--haven't done this since I was a kid so don't really remember much. We are planning on driving straight through- myself,husband and 2 kids ages 13 and 8. Any advice would be appreciated best route, best places for gas, rest stops etc. We are leaving from central PA.
I've got friends in Shippensburg making the same trip. Basically, you probably can go the 81-77-26-95-4 route unless the weather isn't looking so good for 81. Then you should probably take 95 most of the way, perhaps taking 15 to 64 and picking up 95 south of Richmond. DVCZerfs can probably give you the best since he is the expert!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-27-2011, 09:04 AM   #288
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
I've got friends in Shippensburg making the same trip. Basically, you probably can go the 81-77-26-95-4 route unless the weather isn't looking so good for 81. Then you should probably take 95 most of the way, perhaps taking 15 to 64 and picking up 95 south of Richmond. DVCZerfs can probably give you the best since he is the expert!
ok, now that my face is red. i tend to stay away from the i95, northeast area of i95 (from richmond north) ive tried it a few times and i just dont have any luck. which, there is no magical way, its all luck. alot of people go that way and never had a problem, i just stay away.
pending where you live, what time of day you leave and what time you are going to hit major cities and what time of year you are going has alot to do with it.
my best friend was a truck driver for 30 years and over the years has learned me well.
also, im not a "sight seeier" , nor do i drive to get optimum gas mileage if you know what i mean. i want to get there and i want to get home in a timely manner.
i go one of two ways anymore. if there is no chance of snow or ice, i go 81/77/26/95/4. this way, time wise is the fastest for me. it takes me 16 hours with rest stops and gas stops. we have food in the car and sometimes i will hit a drive through but no major meals.
if weather could be a factor, i go 81/66/17/95/4.
this way you will hit richmond. we stay on i95 through richmond and if we dont hit this area at rush hour, it takes us 16 1/2 hours.
to look at the map, for option one or two, you are going to think where im i going????
if you live near i81, or north of i81, these options are the best way to go.
if you are south of i81, philly area etc.... you may want to use i95.
traveling through the northeast area of i95 during the middle of the night is your best chance to not hit traffic.
we leave home (nazareth) at 3am, i leave for work at 4am so its no big deal for me and i cant sleep the night before anyway. and if all goes well, we pull into okw at around 7pm.
i also must add, im an outside rep for a hvac company, i spend alot of time on the road so i can drive for a long time without stopping.which also helps. this past september, i drove the entire way myself. (dw was in the passenger seat) i normaly let her drive about 2 hours or so but i was in the zone and kept going.
rest stops and gas station exits (just about every exit anymore there is something) are well marked. there are signs before every exit telling you food, gas and lodging at the next exit. dont stress about that part at all.
so, have a good trip!!! if you have any questions you can pm me if you want or you can ask on here so others can see. its up to you. i hope i helped you out!

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!

Old 11-27-2011, 10:09 AM   #289
alenushka
DIS Veteran

On our way home, I-95 in VA surprisingly free but watch out for state troopers! Sooooooooooooo many today we have never seen so many and VA is know for tickets over $1500

Full trip report will follow shortly.....
Old 11-28-2011, 01:28 PM   #290
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenushka View Post
On our way home, I-95 in VA surprisingly free but watch out for state troopers! Sooooooooooooo many today we have never seen so many and VA is know for tickets over $1500

Full trip report will follow shortly.....
I don't quite understand - are you saying that there was no traffic but a lot of state troopers? And VA troopers give tickets for one thousand five hundred dollars???

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
Old 11-28-2011, 02:20 PM   #291
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

did they put up that toll booth on i95 in va yet? i havnt herd anything about that yet.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:07 PM   #292
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
did they put up that toll booth on i95 in va yet? i havnt herd anything about that yet.
Operational toll booths on I-95 in VA are about three years away according to public statements made in September, the month that the Federal government approved the tolls.

Ugh!

However, on a more immediate and brighter note, local gas prices dropped another two cents overnight to $3.09 a gallon.

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (38 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian
Old 11-28-2011, 09:31 PM   #293
alenushka
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadoc View Post
I don't quite understand - are you saying that there was no traffic but a lot of state troopers? And VA troopers give tickets for one thousand five hundred dollars???
exactly that
no traffic at all, but state troopers every 10 miles or so.... we have never seen so many.... and i have heard people getting tickets over $1,000-1,500 in VA that is the state we drive only about 3-4 miles over speed limit
Old 11-28-2011, 10:11 PM   #294
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenushka View Post
exactly that
no traffic at all, but state troopers every 10 miles or so.... we have never seen so many.... and i have heard people getting tickets over $1,000-1,500 in VA that is the state we drive only about 3-4 miles over speed limit

Good to know! Thanks for the warning.

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
Old 11-29-2011, 10:04 AM   #295
Disneyholic
Official Disneyholic! CM Wannabe! I'll Never Grow Up!

Only 32 days till our road trip!

Just made our ressies for the hotels last night. January 1 - 4 at Downtown Disney Double Tree ($99/night with the new Mousesavers discount and it includes breakfast for 2 adults) and January 4 - 7 at Wilderness Lodge with a Courtyard View (35% off with a pin code we got last week)

Now all we need is good weather for the drive.

I will be picking up tickets at AAA before we go and then depending on how money holds out I will either upgrade them to 10 day non-expiring or APs. We need tickets again in August for the days at WDW before our DCL cruise. 10 day non-expire w/PH is only $1146.92 through AAA. We could use 6 days this trip and 4 the next if we upgrade to 10 days. We also have 10 WP&M visits left on some Non-expiring tickets from a few years ago.
APs cost $1725 so about $700 more. Just don't know if it's worth the extra money & if something happens and we don't get down again for some reason(like that would happen) it would be a waste, but the non-expire option on the 4 extra days would still be good if we went that route instead. Decision, decisions. I guess the money will speak when it is time to do the upgrade.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:08 PM   #296
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Local gas prices (regular) dropped another two cents today: we're at $3.07.
We hope this pattern continues, especially for the next few weeks.

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (38 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian
Old 11-29-2011, 06:27 PM   #297
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyholic View Post
Just made our ressies for the hotels last night. January 1 - 4 at Downtown Disney Double Tree ($99/night with the new Mousesavers discount and it includes breakfast for 2 adults) and January 4 - 7 at Wilderness Lodge with a Courtyard View (35% off with a pin code we got last week)

Now all we need is good weather for the drive.

I will be picking up tickets at AAA before we go and then depending on how money holds out I will either upgrade them to 10 day non-expiring or APs. We need tickets again in August for the days at WDW before our DCL cruise. 10 day non-expire w/PH is only $1146.92 through AAA. We could use 6 days this trip and 4 the next if we upgrade to 10 days. We also have 10 WP&M visits left on some Non-expiring tickets from a few years ago.
APs cost $1725 so about $700 more. Just don't know if it's worth the extra money & if something happens and we don't get down again for some reason(like that would happen) it would be a waste, but the non-expire option on the 4 extra days would still be good if we went that route instead. Decision, decisions. I guess the money will speak when it is time to do the upgrade.
congrats!!! i just re upped our aps today. $792. total for two adult passes. we expire on december 1st. we got 30 park days out of our last years passes. we will still get 20 days out of our 2012 passes. still not a bad deal.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:55 PM   #298
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just*the*ten*of*us View Post
I will definitely be doing a trip report, hopefully some time this weekend I can get it started. I will definitely tell Chris to pop over there....he put a pic of him and his first dole whip up but it kinda got trampled over by the old thread closing, so I dont think anyone saw it. I mean who wants to look at him when they can see ahem....well you know what was on there.....

well I mean, thats what I heard anyway....I would never ever peek.
TRIP REPORT . TRIP REPORT . TRIP REPORT , TRIP REPORT!!!

Old 11-30-2011, 02:57 PM   #299
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
Local gas prices (regular) dropped another two cents today: we're at $3.07.
We hope this pattern continues, especially for the next few weeks.

All the best.
we have that special blend, self serve gas here in pa. ive seen $3.21 to $3.40.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:20 PM   #300
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
we have that special blend, self serve gas here in pa. ive seen $3.21 to $3.40.

Our "low" local price of $3.07 will probably not last long since the crude oil per-barrel price was up over 50-cents today and broke the $100 mark. Developments in Iran don't help.

All the best.

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: