Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 07:23 PM   #16
3Princesses04
Earning My Ears

We aren't driving down until December, but I want to get the departure date/time right with my husband. We live in Central IL and at first we were going to drive all night then decided we should probably take an extra day and stay the night in a hotel along the way. What would be ideal is to only have a 4 hours or so left to drive on our check-in day (17th). My husband is a "fly by the seat of his pants" type of guy so he's no help. If we left on the 16th should I plan on leaving early morning? We have 3 girls who will be 20 mo, 4, and 7 at the time so we will need to stop a lot, I'm sure.

Any tips on where to stop and when a good time to leave would be? I'm sure we would still be in GA, past Atlanta.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:45 PM   #17
nono
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
[However, one day, we expect to do a cross-country drive and end up at Disneyland. We'll follow in your tire tracks...at least part of the way.]
We've already mapped out a route. Now, we just have to wait for Carsland to open.
Register to remove

Old 10-12-2011, 07:52 PM   #18
blondietink
DIS Veteran

I read in the USA Today yesterday that the governor of Virginia has approval to make I95 a TOLL ROAD! Does anybody know more about this, like what parts of I95 will be toll, when this will happen, etc.? We like to take I95 for a change sometimes and see the sights in DC, but if it is going to add too much in tolls, we will find ways to avoid it, for sure. We pay too many tolls here in NYS already and I am always bragging about how I can not pay any tolls after I leave NYS and drive all the way to Florida not paying any tolls.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:05 PM   #19
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondietink View Post
I read in the USA Today yesterday that the governor of Virginia has approval to make I95 a TOLL ROAD! Does anybody know more about this, like what parts of I95 will be toll, when this will happen, etc.? We like to take I95 for a change sometimes and see the sights in DC, but if it is going to add too much in tolls, we will find ways to avoid it, for sure. We pay too many tolls here in NYS already and I am always bragging about how I can not pay any tolls after I leave NYS and drive all the way to Florida not paying any tolls.
my oldest brother lives in the n. carolina and he does alot of driving on i95 and he said the same thing. i think he said near richmond but i cant remember north or south of it. please dont quote me or hold me to it, maybe he was messing with me, he is my older brother but i thought he said $30. now i dont know if its $15 one way or what. but like i said he could of been messing with me on the cost. i dont go that way in the non winter months and if it is that much, i wont go that way because im nt paying a toll unless i have to.(im cheep.) i have been going back to my old way down of i81/ i77/i26/ i95. the time of travel is the same for me and there is alot less traffic.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:12 PM   #20
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nono View Post
We've already mapped out a route. Now, we just have to wait for Carsland to open.
nono, id be intrested on how your going and how you make out. keep us posted on your trip. a client of mine drove his motor home out to cal. but he went the southern rte. he planned for heat,cold,snow and rain. he got caught in a sand storm near rosewell new mex. hes said he was holding on to the wheel with two hands on one side of the wheel to keep it on the road. he thought his new motor home was destroyed by the sand blasts but there was no damage. he wanted t do the i80 rte but i think it was in late may and there was still snow out west in the mtns.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:41 PM   #21
MamaJessie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Bummer!
Old 10-12-2011, 11:12 PM   #22
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
Wow - wonder what that would do to the beach traffic in the summer? I can handle $15 one way if necessary.

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
Old 10-13-2011, 01:06 AM   #23
disneymarie
Its a rumour about the donuts...
Can we play Nancy Drew?

Drive down, Auto Train home and meet with dvczerfs

Hello all, nice to see the remodel on the thread.

From my last post: We left 9:30AM Monday Oct 3, only made it as far as Lumberton, N.C. for the night. I think that was the half way mark, at 519 miles 8:30 PM.
The next morning on the road by 9:30 AM, It was 8:30PM again when we finally checked in at Disney Oct 4th and another 519 miles.

Coming home we cheated, the dgs and ds talked me into Auto Train Oct 11th, it was the best time and worse time. Super fantastic that we drove to Sanford 2:00PM, check in and they loaded the car. We had 2 connected bedroom cars.

Wine and cheese served prior to leaving the station at 4:00 PM. Supper I had Beef in a great sauce, baked potato, yummy cheese cake and two more glasses of wine I think that was to make us able to sleep.

Beds were turned down at 9:00PM, with an early wake up for a 7:00 AM breakfast call and rooms were made back up.
We arrived Lorton VA., super early this morning at 8:00AM and were on the way home 9:30AM to N.E. PA. This took off over 700 miles of our trip. No gas, hotel room or food, cost so the offset was a good one.

I did not sleep as well as the hotel room going down. In fact I did not sleep at all the entire night. EXHAUSTED!
I really needed to have an egg crate or something extremly padded to sleep on, with back herniations and a thin bedding I was miserable.

As for our Disney visit,
Unfortunatly we had that tropical system that sat over top of us for days on end, dumping Buckets, like it was Mickey in Fantasia.
The first two days and last two days were the best weather.

A HIGHTLIGHT, Meeting dvczerfs. For the brief time we got to say hello, it was one of my favorite memories made on this trip, I will upload a photo.
For now it is digging through my work cases that were waiting until I got home so off to bed for now.
di

Last edited by disneymarie; 10-13-2011 at 01:34 AM.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:13 AM   #24
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We had read a similar story last month.

For us, our I-95 drive has a number of important mileposts, and one of them is the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel toll ($2.00). After paying the $3.00 toll after crossing the Delaware Memorial Bridge and the paying the overpriced $4.00 Maryland toll, passing through the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel means no more tolls until WDW. It's a great feeling.

The thought of additional tolls on I-95 in VA (not the most pleasant place to drive around rush hour, especially in northern VA) is horrrible.

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (40 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk
Old 10-13-2011, 08:54 AM   #25
sticker231
DIS Veteran

This time next week our journey will have already begun! Leaving the 20th and coming back the 30th. This has been our longest stretch without a trip, (1 year). We will be making up for it next year, with several trips to be planned.

OUR TRIPS TO WDW
OCTOBER 2005, APRIL 2006, OCTOBER 2006, MARCH 2007, JUNE 2007, OCTOBER 2007,
APRIL 2008, OCTOBER 2008, OCTOBER 2009, APRIL 2010, OCTOBER 2010, OCTOBER 2011, MAY 2012,OCTOBER 2012, OCTOBER 2013
Old 10-13-2011, 08:59 AM   #26
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticker231 View Post
This time next week our journey will have already begun! Leaving the 20th and coming back the 30th. This has been our longest stretch without a trip, (1 year). We will be making up for it next year, with several trips to be planned.
Coincidentally, we will be right behind you...by two days. We must live relatively close by; we are in southern Ocean County near the bay.

What time do you plan on departing?

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (40 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk
Old 10-13-2011, 09:02 AM   #27
sticker231
DIS Veteran

I believe from past posts that we live very close. Still not sure when we are leaving, still debating driving straight through or stopping over night.

OUR TRIPS TO WDW
APRIL 2008, OCTOBER 2008, OCTOBER 2009, APRIL 2010, OCTOBER 2010, OCTOBER 2011, MAY 2012,OCTOBER 2012, OCTOBER 2013
Old 10-13-2011, 09:08 AM   #28
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I believe from past posts that we live very close. Still not sure when we are leaving, still debating driving straight through or stopping over night.
Greetings from Exit #67 (not to be confused with Exit #67 on I-4 in FL!).

We plan on departing early Saturday morning (Oct. 22) somewhere after midnight and before 3 a.m. Our plan (weather permitting) is another "straight through" drive...arriving and collapsing at a Lake Buena Vista hotel for the night before driving to the Boardwalk the next morning.

Is school a concern for your bunch?

All the best.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:12 AM   #29
sticker231
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
Greetings from Exit #67 (not to be confused with Exit #67 on I-4 in FL!).

We plan on departing early Saturday morning (Oct. 22) somewhere after midnight and before 3 a.m. Our plan (weather permitting) is another "straight through" drive...arriving and collapsing at a Lake Buena Vista hotel for the night before driving to the Boardwalk the next morning.

Is school a concern for your bunch?

All the best.
Same exit! Ocean Acres, Stafford.

We take the kids out of school and don't really worry about it. The teachers send some work for them to do on our trip. Due to work I am unable to take vacation in November or December, so Jersey Week is out.

OUR TRIPS TO WDW
Old 10-13-2011, 09:19 AM   #30
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Same exit! Ocean Acres, Stafford.

We take the kids out of school and don't really worry about it. The teachers send some work for them to do on our trip. Due to work I am unable to take vacation in November or December, so Jersey Week is out.
Earlier in the year both dvczerfs and sharadoc were at WDW while we were there but we never managed to meet and say hello; perhaps we will.

All the best.

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: