Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 05:41 AM   #2716
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Ah, tis time to part...in a few hours: the final half of the 2,000+ mile round-trip drive.

It was good to see sharadoc's and dvczerfs' posts this morning! And hopefully we will actually cross paths down here one day.

Now then...500 Aprils ago, Ponce De Leon arrived in Florida and claimed it for Spain. He had heard stories about a Fountain of Youth in Florida but never found it. Subsequent explorers also searched unsuccessfully, but they were early.

Fast forward to 1971: Walt Disney World opens. The Fountain of Youth

All the best from the Ponce De Leon level of the GFR.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (38 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian
Old 04-21-2013, 06:47 AM   #2717
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Yay for Brianna!

Does anyone ever use the Western Way to head north? I know it is toll and a little longer, but it is also empty and nice scenery. You get off at Apopka and then travel east to get on I4. But it doesn't get much mention here.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-21-2013, 10:14 AM   #2718
NJRRK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie
Yay for Brianna!

Does anyone ever use the Western Way to head north? I know it is toll and a little longer, but it is also empty and nice scenery. You get off at Apopka and then travel east to get on I4. But it doesn't get much mention here.
417 is easier for north bound traffic since you are on expressway quality roads the entire distance. Using western way you have to use local roads to connect to I-4.

4/76 - offsite, 4/77 - CR, 4/78 - CR, 4/79 - FW Trailer, 5/80 - CR, 5/82 - Disney Inn, 12/82 - FW Trailer, 5/83 - DL California, 12/83 - CR, 9/84 - CR, 1/85 - CR, 3/88 - Disney Village suites (later Disney Institute, where SSR is now), 8/96 - DxL (POR), 8/07 - CR, 10/08 - CR Atrium
Old 04-21-2013, 12:18 PM   #2719
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
Ah, tis time to part...in a few hours: the final half of the 2,000+ mile round-trip drive.

It was good to see sharadoc's and dvczerfs' posts this morning! And hopefully we will actually cross paths down here one day.

Now then...500 Aprils ago, Ponce De Leon arrived in Florida and claimed it for Spain. He had heard stories about a Fountain of Youth in Florida but never found it. Subsequent explorers also searched unsuccessfully, but they were early.

Agree! So sad we missed our opportunities in 2010, who knew it could have been our only chance? How's first week in Dec? That's our next one.

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
Old 04-21-2013, 12:30 PM   #2720
sharadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
hi sharon, we got our dates and resi's done.

may 18-21 = getting briana moved in!!

june 14-23 = saratoga springs

september 13-22 = old key west

december 18-27 = old key west

hope everything is going ok with your dad. i went through the same thing with my dad after my mom passed.

we are a little mixed about the timing of this entire thing. tammys dad is 78. hes not doing well and needs 2 heart valve and a valve band. briana has always been close to her pop. he had a valve replaced 17 years ago and at that time they said it was good for 10 years. hes a tuff old dude so we are praying things go well. he goes to the univ. of pa. hospital for all this. so we are thinking pos. i will keep you posted on briana. when you do go down, let me know when and i will text you where and when to find briana. take care, talk to you soon!
We decided to keep November, but leaving day after Thanksgiving so we'll be here for the holiday. We considered June but it's too soon, we won't be ready LOL. Plus we'd rather do cooler weather anyway. Your dates will allow you all to spend Christmas together - that's great, although I wish we could cross over even for one day!! We'll definitely look Briana up when we're there. That's so exciting

We are all moving into that weird time of our lives - kids are getting older and more independent (and more expensive LOL) while parents are needing us more and more. My father's mother is still around, turned 103 in March, so he's definitely got the good genes. He's learning to cope, but I expect him to be the classic case of a broken heart. I hope Tammy's Dad can bet on the road to recovery.

Take care,

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
Old 04-21-2013, 05:14 PM   #2721
ddluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glo View Post
Need your guys help...in Jacksonville FL. soon, driving North to Massachusetts. Went the rte 90 to 84 to 81 to 77 to 26 to 95 on the way down a weekday. It is Saturday evening, we plan on driving through the night after a stop for dinner. Should we drive 95 North home since it is not a weekday? Please respond quickly we could use the help deciding!
We just drove home to MA. We did the 81 route the way down. DH wanted to come home 95 b/c it was early Sunday morning.

It was smooth sailing even through DC area. So I guess it all depends on the day and time.
February 2014*December 2013*October2013 F&W *September 2013*July 2013-Our condo.*April 2013- Our condo!!*April 2012- Sheraton Vistana*August 2011-Poly & HRH/CL Mom's 40th B-Day*November 2010- Bonnet Creek* August 2010-BC/CL & HRH/CL Mom's B-Day trip* April 2009- Orange Lake Resort* August 2008- GF/CL (Anniversary trip kid free)*April 2008- Orange Lake Resort* June 2007- Orange Lake Resort(2DS b-day trip)* April 2005- Orange Lake Resort* May 1995- CBR (honeymoon)* April 1988 off property* July 1978 off property
Old 04-21-2013, 06:28 PM   #2722
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:

have a safe trip bc!!! ponce de leon!!! for some reason, i think of vizcaya!!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Villa_Vizcaya
in one of our trip to florida when i was a kid, back then it was only what is now called the magic kingdom so there wasnt a huge resort like there is now, my mother had to see vizcaya.
i recall a huge statue of ponce and i asked who is that?
i never forgot it, thats the sad part.
history and math were my best subjects in school.
i seem to flunk english and spelling all the time.

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!
2000+ MILE ROUND TRIP DRIVING THREAD.. DOUBLE DIAMOND DRIVER!

Old 04-21-2013, 06:31 PM   #2723
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadoc View Post
We decided to keep November, but leaving day after Thanksgiving so we'll be here for the holiday. We considered June but it's too soon, we won't be ready LOL. Plus we'd rather do cooler weather anyway. Your dates will allow you all to spend Christmas together - that's great, although I wish we could cross over even for one day!! We'll definitely look Briana up when we're there. That's so exciting

We are all moving into that weird time of our lives - kids are getting older and more independent (and more expensive LOL) while parents are needing us more and more. My father's mother is still around, turned 103 in March, so he's definitely got the good genes. He's learning to cope, but I expect him to be the classic case of a broken heart. I hope Tammy's Dad can bet on the road to recovery.

Take care,
talk about a weird time of your life. we are going to be empty nesters.
wow, tammys getting old!

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!
2000+ MILE ROUND TRIP DRIVING THREAD.. DOUBLE DIAMOND DRIVER!

Old 04-21-2013, 08:18 PM   #2724
DMLAINI
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRRK View Post
You can use FL417, the toll road that goes around the eat side of Orlando. It has FAR less traffic then I-4. But you will spend some money on tolls. It rejoins I-4 north of Sanford, south of Deland.
Thank You!!!! How do I get back on I95 from there or do I go another way? Anything in better than the I4 again
Old 04-21-2013, 08:21 PM   #2725
DMLAINI
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadoc View Post
I am the 417 advocate here on the Transportation Board. You will avoid all the mess through downtown Orlando and come back onto I-4 past Sanford, where it's just the regular Interstate, so it's totally doable. You will need around $7.00 for tolls.

Just don't use your GPS when you get onto 417 or it will keep telling you to get off 417 and get onto I-4. Just know when you get onto 417 you're on it for about an hour until you see the signs for Sanford airport and an exit for I-4 East. Then once you get onto I-4 you can turn your GPS on.
Thank You!!!! I'll try to get directions this way from MapQuest or Google maps because our GPS was terrible on the way here. Paying $7 is worth it to avoid the I4
Old 04-21-2013, 09:01 PM   #2726
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Howdy, all (especially sharadoc and dvczerfs who were kind enough to respond to my previous post)!

Sharadoc: third week of December for us.

Disney Hess this morning: $3.31 (regular).

Ah, here we are at a Virginia Holiday Inn Express to spend the night.
Hmm...there is something different about this hotel and the Grand Floridian Resort.

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (38 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian
Old 04-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #2727
sharadoc

Quote:
Howdy, all (especially sharadoc and dvczerfs who were kind enough to respond to my previous post)!

Hmm...there is something different about this hotel and the Grand Floridian Resort.

All the best.
Well, looks like you will cross over with DVCZerfs then!

Take care!

Old 04-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #2728
letthewookiewin
"That's 'cause droids don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookiees are known to do that."-Han Solo
"I see your point, sir. I suggest a new strategy, R2: let the Wookiee win."-C-3PO

Quote:

All the best.

When we drove to WDW this past June, I was worried gas prices in Florida were going to be terrible. They were actually less in FL than at home in TX. Hopefully, the same will be true for our upcoming drive to WDW in September.

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
Old 04-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #2729
sharadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMLAINI View Post
Thank You!!!! How do I get back on I95 from there or do I go another way? Anything in better than the I4 again
417 drops you onto I-4 but you are way past the city and all the madness by then. It's just like 95 there, you probably only are on there around 30 minutes until you hit 95 again.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:56 PM   #2730
ddluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
we got some great news today about our dd briana (20).
her dreams came true today!!!
she has been accepted into the disney college program and will be leaving on may 20th. for wdw!!!!!
she has been dreaming about working at wdw since she has been 4.
shes looking forward to meeting her dads dis friends!!!!
That is so exciting!! I am hoping one of my boys will want to do that too someday.
February 2014*December 2013*October2013 F&W *September 2013*July 2013-Our condo.*April 2013- Our condo!!*April 2012- Sheraton Vistana*August 2011-Poly & HRH/CL Mom's 40th B-Day*November 2010- Bonnet Creek* August 2010-BC/CL & HRH/CL Mom's B-Day trip* April 2009- Orange Lake Resort* August 2008- GF/CL (Anniversary trip kid free)*April 2008- Orange Lake Resort* June 2007- Orange Lake Resort(2DS b-day trip)* April 2005- Orange Lake Resort* May 1995- CBR (honeymoon)* April 1988 off property* July 1978 off property
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: