Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 09:38 AM   #2656
chipper10
Disney Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1disneychic View Post
We are driving down in June from PA (81-77-26-95 route). It's been awhile since we've driven (usually fly), but it's the first time driving down with our son. We're still undecided on when to leave/how far to drive in a day. Not really sure how well he'll do driving in a car seat for so long. My question-do you think it's better to make a hotel reservation in advance or just drive as far as we can until we're tired? I'm thinking about the cost difference between reserving in advance vs. just getting a room on the road. Anyone have any experience with calling the hotel and booking vs. just walking in...cost wise? Usually everything is reserved and planned out in advance for us, but this is a new situation. Getting everyone there safely and in good spirits is the most important thing. Thanks for any advice.
We are driving from St Louis in 18 days. We didn't make any advance reservations. I went through hotels.com and picked out some hotels that look decent and stored the numbers in my phone. I figure I would call and make a reservation depending on how far we get. We are traveling with our just turned 2 year old, so I have no idea what to expect. When we drove 2.5 years ago we just pulled into a Hampton Inn in Gainesville and they had rooms available.

Next Trip -- May 2013
Old 04-14-2013, 11:43 AM   #2657
sea nymph
Mouseketeer

Just made the trip yesterday from SE PA. Left in the evening and drove the 95 route. No issues, made it in 17 hours total. Traffic was thick the last part of the trip from Jacksonville to DW. Safe traveling to all!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-14-2013, 12:33 PM   #2658
feet1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea nymph View Post
Just made the trip yesterday from SE PA. Left in the evening and drove the 95 route. No issues, made it in 17 hours total. Traffic was thick the last part of the trip from Jacksonville to DW. Safe traveling to all!
What time did you leave your home and how many stops did you make and for how long? We are going in sept and have never driven. We plan in leaving from Hershey, PA anywhere between midnight and 2am and hope the kids sleep a good portion of the night. Still wondering how long it will take, what time we will be pulling into POFQ. Google maps days 14 hours and 30ish minutes. Bing days about the same and mapquest says a lot more time???

1984 (I was 9) - off site 1989 - off site 1992 -CBR 2006 - POFQ 2007 - WL
Sept 19-27 2013 POFQ

Old 04-14-2013, 03:45 PM   #2659
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Our Honda CR-V rests quietly in the valet parking lot of the Grand Floridian after another 1,000+ mile drive (#29 since 2002) to WDW.

Today's transportation: a front People Mover car, an XP-37 Space Crusier, and a launch from the MK to the GFR.

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (38 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:47 PM   #2660
Goofygirl17
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
Our Honda CR-V rests quietly in the valet parking lot of the Grand Floridian after another 1,000+ mile drive (#29 since 2002) to WDW.

Today's transportation: a front People Mover car, an XP-37 Space Crusier, and a launch from the MK to the GFR.

All the best.
Have a great time!
Old 04-14-2013, 03:48 PM   #2661
MaestroTK
Mouseketeer

Quote:

All the best.
Enjoy!
2003 (July) WDW - Offsite - Vacation Village at Parkway (RCI)
2006 (July) WDW - Offsite - Summer Bay Resort (RCI)
2006 (May) - DL - Carousel Inn
2007 (July) - WDW - Offsite - Vacation Village at Parkway (RCI)
2008 (March) - WDW - All Star Sports
2010 (June) - DL - Desert Palms

2011 (August) - WDW - Beach Club Villas
2013 (July) - WDW - Villas at Wilderness Lodge
2014 (April) - DL - Desert Palms
2014 (May) - DL - Desert Palms

2015 (August) - WDW - Villas at Wilderness Lodge or Beach Club Villas
Old 04-14-2013, 03:51 PM   #2662
BC1836
DIS Veteran

P.S. TORNADO WATCH for all WDW parks until 10 P.M.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (38 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:18 PM   #2663
Goofygirl17
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroTK View Post
Enjoy!
Hey... we're going to be there at the same time!
Old 04-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #2664
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipper10 View Post
We are driving from St Louis in 18 days. We didn't make any advance reservations. I went through hotels.com and picked out some hotels that look decent and stored the numbers in my phone. I figure I would call and make a reservation depending on how far we get. We are traveling with our just turned 2 year old, so I have no idea what to expect. When we drove 2.5 years ago we just pulled into a Hampton Inn in Gainesville and they had rooms available.
The rest area at Metropolis was closed last Summer, but the one in Paducah is still up. No idea if that'll help or not, but thought I'd toss that out there. Have a great trip.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:51 AM   #2665
loveysbydesign
I can pinch a penny so hard you can hear it scream for miles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by feet1 View Post
What time did you leave your home and how many stops did you make and for how long? We are going in sept and have never driven. We plan in leaving from Hershey, PA anywhere between midnight and 2am and hope the kids sleep a good portion of the night. Still wondering how long it will take, what time we will be pulling into POFQ. Google maps days 14 hours and 30ish minutes. Bing days about the same and mapquest says a lot more time???
Are you taking 78-81-77-26-96 or heading down 95 the entire way?

May 2006-1st family trip to WDW! Loved Windsor Hills! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$1800
Nov. 13-22 2007-2nd trip to WDW with Baby Hartley #3-it's a boy!!! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$2200
May 2009- 3 nights in a 2 bedroom at SSR and then our 1st Disney cruise on the Magic! Total cost for 2 Cat. 12's -upgraded to Cat. 10's=$2900

June 11-20 2010- Our super cheap, surprising the kids, 1st time driving, celebrating Ryan's 3rd birthday trip! Total cost=$950
Nov.12-22, 2010 Took our in-laws along for their 1st trip ever! Stayed at Indian Creek and had a blast!
Oct.10-15, 2011 Crazy Columbus Crowds(did YES program) & cruised on the Dream Oct. 16-20
Oct. 19-29, 2012 Our trip re-do w/the in-laws, swam w/ the manatees & drove home through Sandy!
June 21-30, 2013 Celebrating our 17th anniversary!
Old 04-15-2013, 07:58 AM   #2666
feet1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveysbydesign View Post
Are you taking 78-81-77-26-96 or heading down 95 the entire way?
we are planning on going 95 the whole way. We are going to leave and go on15 south through gettysburg area and get on I-270 in MD take that to 495 around DC and then on 95 for the rest of the way...I've read to take 295 around Richmond, but not sure about that? We are thinking we will hit richmond between 4 and 6 am depending on what time we leave. We are also leaving on a thursday, don't know if weekdays are worse for traffic with rush hour...
Thanks for any advice you may have. Looking for the fastest way to get to my happy place in Disney! oif course, flying would be the way to go but 7 of us it's just too much moola...

1984 (I was 9) - off site 1989 - off site 1992 -CBR 2006 - POFQ 2007 - WL
Sept 19-27 2013 POFQ

Old 04-15-2013, 08:33 AM   #2667
loveysbydesign
I can pinch a penny so hard you can hear it scream for miles!

Quote:
we are planning on going 95 the whole way. We are going to leave and go on15 south through gettysburg area and get on I-270 in MD take that to 495 around DC and then on 95 for the rest of the way...I've read to take 295 around Richmond, but not sure about that? We are thinking we will hit richmond between 4 and 6 am depending on what time we leave. We are also leaving on a thursday, don't know if weekdays are worse for traffic with rush hour...
Thanks for any advice you may have. Looking for the fastest way to get to my happy place in Disney! oif course, flying would be the way to go but 7 of us it's just too much moola...
We live between Allentown and Kutztown in Alburtis and we skip 95 and go 78-81-77-26-95 as we LOVE the drive through the gorgeous mountains and avoiding the 95 traffic.
We love driving that way but some people prefer 95 all the way.

May 2006-1st family trip to WDW! Loved Windsor Hills! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$1800
Nov. 13-22 2007-2nd trip to WDW with Baby Hartley #3-it's a boy!!! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$2200
May 2009- 3 nights in a 2 bedroom at SSR and then our 1st Disney cruise on the Magic! Total cost for 2 Cat. 12's -upgraded to Cat. 10's=$2900

June 11-20 2010- Our super cheap, surprising the kids, 1st time driving, celebrating Ryan's 3rd birthday trip! Total cost=$950
Nov.12-22, 2010 Took our in-laws along for their 1st trip ever! Stayed at Indian Creek and had a blast!
Oct.10-15, 2011 Crazy Columbus Crowds(did YES program) & cruised on the Dream Oct. 16-20
Oct. 19-29, 2012 Our trip re-do w/the in-laws, swam w/ the manatees & drove home through Sandy!
June 21-30, 2013 Celebrating our 17th anniversary!
Old 04-15-2013, 09:18 AM   #2668
ancestry
Trees Without Roots Fall Over

We did do our drive straight through. Left Maine on Thursday at 1:30 PM (25 miles north of Portland) and arrived at the world at 2:00 PM on Friday. Only stopped to refuel, use the restroom, and to have a nice breakfast at cracker barrel.

There was virtually no traffic except for a little bit in Connecticut at rush hour. No one was even on the George Washington Bridge when we went across.

Being in a car for 24 hours straight was brutal but not as bad as we all were expecting.

Now for the drive home this coming weekend. . . so not looking forward to that. Especially considering we will all be tired and not really wanting to leave Florida.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:33 AM   #2669
nlyons75
Earning My Ears

Quote:
We drove down from Philadelphia this past August. Left around 2:30 AM on a Saturday morning. Our driving directions had us taking 295 around Richmond also but at 6:00 on a Saturday morning there was virtually nobody on the road in that area so we decided to stay on 95 the whole way. If you are passing through Richmond around 6:00 AM during a week day I would think that the traffic wouldn't be too bad and you could probably skip the 295 loop. The later into rush hour you get, 295 may help. Driving from Philly we stopped once in NC or gas, and then stopped again at South of the Border in the NC/SC state line for the kids to get out and stretch and get something to eat.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:42 AM   #2670
sea nymph
Mouseketeer

Quote:
P.S. TORNADO WATCH for all WDW parks until 10 P.M.
We were wondering what was going on?
The wind and rained started right after the parade and ruined the fireworks show for our kids!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: