Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 10:41 AM   #2641
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancestry View Post
Wish us luck everyone! We are leaving Maine in about an hour for the VERY long 24 hour drive to the World. We have four drives so we are (stupidly?) going to do the drive straight through.
"Good luck!" wishes granted!

We hope to be on the road in the not-too-distant future, too.

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (38 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:43 PM   #2642
gotdbltrbl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancestry View Post
Wish us luck everyone! We are leaving Maine in about an hour for the VERY long 24 hour drive to the World. We have four drivets so we are (stupidly?) going to do the drive straight through.
Good luck and safe travels! We leave this evening from Maine, but with only two drivers we are staying in GA arriving at WDW on Saturday.

Enjoy your trip!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-11-2013, 07:25 PM   #2643
ddluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

We leave very early Sat. Morning for our kids' first drive to the world. So glad gas prices have come down a bit just in time.

Woohoo!!!!
February 2014*December 2013*October2013 F&W *September 2013*July 2013-Our condo.*April 2013- Our condo!!*April 2012- Sheraton Vistana*August 2011-Poly & HRH/CL Mom's 40th B-Day*November 2010- Bonnet Creek* August 2010-BC/CL & HRH/CL Mom's B-Day trip* April 2009- Orange Lake Resort* August 2008- GF/CL (Anniversary trip kid free)*April 2008- Orange Lake Resort* June 2007- Orange Lake Resort(2DS b-day trip)* April 2005- Orange Lake Resort* May 1995- CBR (honeymoon)* April 1988 off property* July 1978 off property
Old 04-12-2013, 12:11 AM   #2644
BC1836
DIS Veteran

As the creator of this humble thread, it is only appropriate that we periodically take a 2,000+ mile round-trip drive.

As such, it's a few hours until we initiate drive #29!

We were planning on departing around 6 a.m. but we wanted to beat some of the rain headin' our way.

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (38 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:37 AM   #2645
busymama224
Earning My Ears

We are on our way now. So far 4 hours into our 20+ hour drive from Michigan and one kid wants to go home. I wanna go home too. Just realized I left our tickets at home. Purchased from ut. Any suggestions? ?? I am sick about this!!!
Old 04-12-2013, 07:21 AM   #2646
BuzzandAriel'smom
DIS Veteran

Busymama: call UT. If you have a smartphone and can look up your email confirmation maybe they can void your other tickets and have some at will call? If they can't then you may have to buy new tickets and return the other ones when you get home. UT tickets are refundable to a point. Good luck! Just think of this as the One thing that is going to go wrong. The rest will be smooth sailing, full of magic!

Check out my blog @ www.busymamma.wordpress.com
Many childhood trips including dancing for Magic Music Days! Disneymooned in 1999 Best family trip ever, split stay Pop/AKL, September 2006
Me and DH trip to Universal March 2007 Carribean Beach Resort August 2007 Trip with both Grandmas AKV and BWV!November 2008 Spring Break WH 2010 and 2012!
Old 04-12-2013, 08:28 AM   #2647
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
As the creator of this humble thread, it is only appropriate that we periodically take a 2,000+ mile round-trip drive.

As such, it's a few hours until we initiate drive #29!

We were planning on departing around 6 a.m. but we wanted to beat some of the rain headin' our way.

All the best.
Enjoy!

When are we going back? Not sure, hate the DAS, FP+ and the rooms keep getting more and more expensive.

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
Old 04-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #2648
GoldenOldie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzandAriel'smom View Post
...maybe they can void your other tickets and have some at will call?
UT won't do either of those. What they will do is give you the ticket numbers that you can give to Guest Relations to have the tickets replaced at Disney. UT will usually email you a photocopy of the back of your tickets. They keep copies of them on file for every transaction for just this kind of situation.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:52 AM   #2649
BC1836
DIS Veteran

We departed the Jersey Shore yesterday morning at 4:30 a.m. We didn't want to start our drive in the rain (the large, nasty weather system that was moving in from the West); however, the rain caught up with us in Maryland. And then the rush hour traffic developed. We always avoid the greater DC area at this time but couldn't avoid it. The periodic downpours continued in every state until we reached Yulee, Florida, where we are now. The weather, traffic and a couple of highway slowdowns due to accidents added two hours to our drive.

Today, a vist with friends in Port Orange and then on to Lake Buena Vista, but not a Disney hotel: a Holiday Inn for one night (with a Downtown Disney visit) and then tomorrow the Grand Floridian.

All the best.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:27 AM   #2650
squirrel4569
DIS Veteran

I just saw this thread and thought I'd chime in. I've done two 2000+ mile round trips to Disney, but many more elsewhere. First trip to WDW via car was in 1999. Drove from Ann Arbor, Michigan straight through. I expected it to take 24 hours. It actually took 20. We left around noon and got there at 8am! We couldn't get into our hotel (we were staying off-site) and only had 4 day tickets to Disney so we improvised and went to Sea World the first day. The kids loved it because they had slept through the night. Mom and Dad weren't so excited because we had been driving all night.

Fast forward 13 years and DW2 and I took the kids to WDW for Thanksgiving. $2000+ for plane tickets was too much so we drove. This time it was from Dallas, Texas to WDW. Interestingly enough it's about the same distance. This drive was a bit more eventful as we struggled to find gas stations (or much of anything else) along I-45 in Louisiana. We had surprised the kids with the trip and left right after school let out on a Friday around 3pm. We got to AoA around noon, did our check in but our room wasn't ready. We strolled around the resort until we could get into our rooms then we hit the pool. The drive back we took a detour through Tampa so I could visit my grandparents so we were a little worn out when we finally got home.

We also routinely drive from Texas to Michigan (same distance, about 2400 miles RT) and we've discovered that if we can leave really early then we can go straight through and get there pretty late at night but still are able to check in. Then we can crash and get going the next morning.

For the next driving trip to WDW we're going to minimize our time in Louisiana. Nothing against the fine people there but the roads are rough and that makes it tough for the second driver to sleep. Also, like I said before. the lack of gas stations along I-45 makes it difficult to manage stops.

Our upcoming trip we're flying, but only because I was able to get plane tickets for $167/person RT. Considering that it costs us around $350 to drive (in gas) plus food it doesn't make sense to drive. We're planning on going in June 2014 and we may drive for that one but it should be Star Wars Weekend so we may fly just so we can catch that.
April 1981 - Holiday Inn - MK only (no other parks existed!);May 1999 - Travelodge - First adult trip;Aug 2003 - Disneyland's California Adventure;Dec 2004 - La Quinta - Christmas trip w/fiance to HS;Sep 2010 - Pop - DD1's 5th birthday;Nov 2012 - AoA - DD2's 4th birthday (KOTS trip);Aug 2013 - AoA - Just because trip

Next trip -
Old 04-13-2013, 11:23 AM   #2651
Goofygirl17
DIS Veteran

91 days
Old 04-13-2013, 02:04 PM   #2652
1disneychic
Mouseketeer

We are driving down in June from PA (81-77-26-95 route). It's been awhile since we've driven (usually fly), but it's the first time driving down with our son. We're still undecided on when to leave/how far to drive in a day. Not really sure how well he'll do driving in a car seat for so long. My question-do you think it's better to make a hotel reservation in advance or just drive as far as we can until we're tired? I'm thinking about the cost difference between reserving in advance vs. just getting a room on the road. Anyone have any experience with calling the hotel and booking vs. just walking in...cost wise? Usually everything is reserved and planned out in advance for us, but this is a new situation. Getting everyone there safely and in good spirits is the most important thing. Thanks for any advice.

Old 04-13-2013, 02:51 PM   #2653
LadyBeBop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel4569 View Post
For the next driving trip to WDW we're going to minimize our time in Louisiana. Nothing against the fine people there but the roads are rough and that makes it tough for the second driver to sleep. Also, like I said before. the lack of gas stations along I-45 makes it difficult to manage stops.
Do you mean I-45 or I-49? Because I-45 goes nowhere near Louisiana.

Regarding rough roads, I have no problems with Louisiana. I have a lot more problems with rough roads in Mississippi. I'll get carsick if I have to travel in the backseat on I-20 through MS. It's just as bad as a roller coaster.

I agree, there's few gas stops along I-45. I'd gas up and change drivers in either Shreveport or Natchitoches which is about an hour south of Shreveport. You'll have enough gas and sleep to easily make it to I-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
What? 2019 or 2020? Say it ain't so!

You must "sneak in a day" next year. That's an order!
Old 04-13-2013, 04:40 PM   #2654
squirrel4569
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBeBop View Post

Do you mean I-45 or I-49? Because I-45 goes nowhere near Louisiana.
Oops! I meant I-49. What's funny is that Google Maps doesn't even suggest that way as an option anymore for me.
April 1981 - Holiday Inn - MK only (no other parks existed!);May 1999 - Travelodge - First adult trip;Aug 2003 - Disneyland's California Adventure;Dec 2004 - La Quinta - Christmas trip w/fiance to HS;Sep 2010 - Pop - DD1's 5th birthday;Nov 2012 - AoA - DD2's 4th birthday (KOTS trip);Aug 2013 - AoA - Just because trip

Next trip -
Old 04-13-2013, 08:46 PM   #2655
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Van is packed, house is cleaned. Hope to be on the road by noon tomorrow. Planning to stop overnight in Orangeburg.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: