Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 05:45 PM   #2611
PEImom
Earning My Ears

Leaving April 19th from Prince Edward Island looking forward to the drive.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:15 PM   #2612
chipper10
Disney Obsessed

We leave on May 2nd from the St. Louis area. I'm getting a little nervous on how our just tuned 2 year old will handle the drive. .
28 days!

Next Trip -- May 2013
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-05-2013, 02:40 AM   #2613
nono
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipper10 View Post
We leave on May 2nd from the St. Louis area. I'm getting a little nervous on how our just tuned 2 year old will handle the drive. .
28 days!
Make a foot rest out of a smaller bag. It helps keep shorter ones much more comfortable along the way.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:22 AM   #2614
MamaJessie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nono View Post
Make a foot rest out of a smaller bag. It helps keep shorter ones much more comfortable along the way.
I have never thought of that, wonder if my youngest had somewhere to rest her feet she wouldn't kick the back of DHs seat on long road trips. Thanks for the tip!

Old 04-05-2013, 01:51 PM   #2615
linzbear
Flirts with Chip

All right, I've been lurking long enough! We're driving from eastern MA in one month! I'll be doing most of the driving (I usually make the 6-7 hour drive to my in-laws solo), with DH subbing in when I need it. My 4 and 2 year old boys will be with us.
So, are there any playgrounds along rt 95 besides at McDonald's and Chick-fil-a? We'll be stopping to let them run off energy a few times, I'm sure!
04/92 - CBR | 03/94 - Offsite | 03/03 - VWL | 05/05 - BWV | 05/06 - DLR | 12/06 - VWL | 04/07 - BCV | 10/07 - OKW/AKV | 12/07 - VWL | 09/08 - OKW | 10/09 - AKV | 11/10 - AKV/VWL | 10/11 - BLT/Swan | 5/13 - VWL
Planned:
11/14 - AKV
Old 04-05-2013, 04:41 PM   #2616
letthewookiewin
"That's 'cause droids don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookiees are known to do that."-Han Solo
"I see your point, sir. I suggest a new strategy, R2: let the Wookiee win."-C-3PO

Quote:
Originally Posted by OklahomaTourist View Post
I've gotten pretty darned comfortable taking I-40 to Memphis, then I22/US78 all the way to Birmingham, then looping around to I-20 toward Atlanta, then south on I-75 to Macon for the first leg, then from Macon on into Orlando/WDW the next day. The first day is a little long, but it makes the second day short and ramps up the anticipation for getting into WDW in the middle of the day.
When we went last year, we took I-40 to Memphis. That drive between Little Rock and Memphis was such a terrible drive. It might have been since there was a lot of construction.

Quote:
Tried to reconcile avoiding Atlanta, but that inevitably led me through a bunch of lesser-known Georgia highways and byways, and I frankly did not want to test any rural speed trap legends. Only had one really really bad time going through Atlanta, and our GPS got us around the worst of it, so I'm keeping Ye Olde Fingers crossed!
I don't blame you. I would rather be on major roads than on lesser known roads, unless it's an area you are used to. Fingers crossed you get through Atlanta without any major traffic or construction headaches.

Quote:
Never been brave enough to not have hotel booked both ways (the one night out/back). I remember as a kid riding in my folks car to the NE where we didn't have reservations, and a snowstorm booked up everything from our stopover to the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. That taught me well.
I wasn't comfortable with it either. It was the DH's idea. He wanted to be able to drive as far as we could. His thinking was that if we booked a hotel, we were stuck with only going that far. If we didn't book one, and we felt that we could keep going, we could. We're night owls anyway, so as long as we have Monsters, we're good to go. I think when we finally got a hotel in Tallahassee it was about 2:30 AM.

Quote:
The key for us is to keep the 17-year-old DS OUT of the ice chest long enough to let everyone ELSE have a snack before HE confiscates it all!!
As far as drinks go, we made sure we over bought and actually had some left over when we got home. With the snack food, we didn't put it all in one place. The middle row in our minivan has two captains chairs. The oldest sat in one and most of the snacks were in the other. The stuff we wanted to make sure the kids didn't eat all of was put up front with me. The DH was afraid they would just eat and eat until it was all gone while they were watching a movie as we drove, so the DH made a rule about snacks. If the DSs got a snack without permission and we caught them eating said snack, we would pull over, through all the snack away, and the cost of the wasted snacks would be taken out of their spending money.

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
Old 04-06-2013, 04:06 PM   #2617
Goofygirl17
DIS Veteran

Just booked our two weeks at Disney for July! 98 days until our 4th ladies only road trip! Poor DH has to work.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:20 PM   #2618
Goofygirl17
DIS Veteran

Where's my countdown signature?

nvm- it's here

Last edited by Goofygirl17; 04-06-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:33 PM   #2619
OklahomaTourist
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by letthewookiewin View Post
When we went last year, we took I-40 to Memphis. That drive between Little Rock and Memphis was such a terrible drive. It might have been since there was a lot of construction.
On our very first trip in 2001, the entire length of I-40 through Arkansas was being entirely rebuilt. It was in various stages of reconstruction across the state. Parts of it were three or four feet differing in elevation as the lanes were being reconstructed, parts of the surface were really rough, and there were very short (if any) shoulders. Didn't go last year, so didn't know there was any construction along the way. Here's hoping its clear this time around!

Quote:
I don't blame you. I would rather be on major roads than on lesser known roads, unless it's an area you are used to. Fingers crossed you get through Atlanta without any major traffic or construction headaches.
Yeah, I'm going in optimistic.
Quote:
I wasn't comfortable with it either. It was the DH's idea. He wanted to be able to drive as far as we could. His thinking was that if we booked a hotel, we were stuck with only going that far. If we didn't book one, and we felt that we could keep going, we could. We're night owls anyway, so as long as we have Monsters, we're good to go. I think when we finally got a hotel in Tallahassee it was about 2:30 AM.
Ugh. First night for us is Macon, GA or bust. First time we went, we made the drive out three days instead of two, because we stopped to take the kids to the Huntsville, Alabama Space Center. It was every bit of a half-day, but a little disappointing for me. Lots of abandoned or forgotten "historic" sites from the space program, left to overgrow, rust, and spoil. Most exciting thing was a prairie dog who jumped out along side the tour bus and raced us for a time. So the 1st night was Huntsville, 2nd night was Birmingham, then on to Orlando. Its been a two-day trip ever since.

Quote:
As far as drinks go, we made sure we over bought and actually had some left over when we got home. With the snack food, we didn't put it all in one place. The middle row in our minivan has two captains chairs. The oldest sat in one and most of the snacks were in the other. The stuff we wanted to make sure the kids didn't eat all of was put up front with me. The DH was afraid they would just eat and eat until it was all gone while they were watching a movie as we drove, so the DH made a rule about snacks. If the DSs got a snack without permission and we caught them eating said snack, we would pull over, through all the snack away, and the cost of the wasted snacks would be taken out of their spending money.
[/quote]

LOL Great strategy!!!

Have a great trip!
Old 04-07-2013, 10:30 PM   #2620
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Another two-cent drop in the price of regular in these parts. We're hoping for one more drop by next weekend.

We need three full tanks to get to WDW.

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (40 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk
Old 04-08-2013, 10:11 AM   #2621
amcnj
DIS Veteran

Gas prices had stagnated for a few weeks, but over the past few days I have been seeing $2.29 popping up here and there.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:16 AM   #2622
goofyfigment
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcnj
Gas prices had stagnated for a few weeks, but over the past few days I have been seeing $2.29 popping up here and there.
I'd be in heaven, gas hasn't dropped below 3.50 here
1984 First Visit Off Site 1987 Off Site 1996 All Star Sports 1997 Howard Johnson Enchantedland 1998 The Spas @ Resort World 2001 Westgate Towers and HRH 2007 Sheraton Vistana Villages and HRH 2008 Parkway International and RPR 2009 All Star Sports 2010 Westgate Vacation Villas 2011 Club Seville 2011 All Star Sports 2012 Sheraton Vistana Resort and Windsor Hills 2012 Westgate Leisure Resort and POP 2013 Westgate Vacation Villas 2013 Birthday trip Royal Pacific 2013 Portofino Bay 2013 POP 2013 All Star Movies 2014 Wilderness Lodge Villas 2014 Vacation Villas At Fantasyworld2014 Boardwalk Villas2014 Vacation Villas At Fantasyworld2014 Bay Lake Towers2014 Wilderness Lodge Villas2014 Saratoga Springs2014 Fantasy World Vacation Villas2014 Disney All Star Sports2014Royal Pacific Resort
Old 04-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #2623
NJRRK
DIS Veteran

Cheapest around here is $3.25

4/76 - offsite, 4/77 - CR, 4/78 - CR, 4/79 - FW Trailer, 5/80 - CR, 5/82 - Disney Inn, 12/82 - FW Trailer, 5/83 - DL California, 12/83 - CR, 9/84 - CR, 1/85 - CR, 3/88 - Disney Village suites (later Disney Institute, where SSR is now), 8/96 - DxL (POR), 8/07 - CR, 10/08 - CR Atrium
Old 04-08-2013, 02:27 PM   #2624
OklahomaTourist
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcnj View Post
I'm sure you mean $3.29.

Watched a video the other day of our trip from 2009, and I was bragging that I'd filled up the night before our departure at $1.97..

Given its in the $3.20's, now, that's what, a 65% increase in 4 years...

Have noticed some post-Easter backing-off on prices, and what few refiners haven't yet finished gearing up for their summer gasoline formulations should be doing so shortly, so hopefully things continue to moderate at least some.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:55 PM   #2625
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Ugh. Gas prices just went up two cents in this neighborhood. And they had gone down two cents just a few days ago.

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (40 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: