Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 02:01 PM   #2596
nono
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadoc View Post
We stayed in a Country Inn and Suites off 95/Savannah. It was great, really nice breakfast and very nice staff. It's a great location, you have plenty of time to drive at a leisurely pace, stop at the Florida Welcome Center for your free OJ, and get to WDW by check-in time!
The Hampton Inn there at Exit 109 in GA is good too. You can zip into Savannah for dinner if you'd like from that area too, but will be right at the entrance ramp of I95 for when you want to leave in the morning. Highly recommend the location.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:37 PM   #2597
nlyons75
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedplumber View Post
We stayed in Savannah GA at Holiday Inn Express Savannah Airport. It is right off of I95 and about a 5 hour drive to Disney from there.
We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express off of I95 in Savannah when we drove down in August too. Includes a continental breakfast. We left there on a sunday morning around 8-8:30AM and were pulling into downtown Disney by 12:45. I would recommend it, price wasn't bad, right off of 95 so that you can hop right back on when you are ready to go, and it was pretty clean.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-03-2013, 01:50 PM   #2598
theyoungs07
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddluvsdisney View Post
Thanks!

I know I can lock the bikes to the rack, but the rack is not locked to the car- can be just pulled off. Was wondering what kind of lock people use.
If you bike rack is hitch-mounted you can buy a hitch pin that locks...that is what I've done in the past when traveling with something hitched to my vehicle. Search for "Master Lock Hitch" on a major shopping site and you'll find plenty of options.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:03 PM   #2599
ddluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungs07 View Post

If you bike rack is hitch-mounted you can buy a hitch pin that locks...that is what I've done in the past when traveling with something hitched to my vehicle. Search for "Master Lock Hitch" on a major shopping site and you'll find plenty of options.
Thank you!!! That's exactly what I was looking for!
February 2014*December 2013*October2013 F&W *September 2013*July 2013-Our condo.*April 2013- Our condo!!*April 2012- Sheraton Vistana*August 2011-Poly & HRH/CL Mom's 40th B-Day*November 2010- Bonnet Creek* August 2010-BC/CL & HRH/CL Mom's B-Day trip* April 2009- Orange Lake Resort* August 2008- GF/CL (Anniversary trip kid free)*April 2008- Orange Lake Resort* June 2007- Orange Lake Resort(2DS b-day trip)* April 2005- Orange Lake Resort* May 1995- CBR (honeymoon)* April 1988 off property* July 1978 off property
Old 04-04-2013, 09:53 AM   #2600
BC1836
DIS Veteran

So...who is next on the road to WDW, besides glo who is departing on 4/10?

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (40 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk
Old 04-04-2013, 11:58 AM   #2601
harris family
Earning My Ears

We prob not next but...lol we leave may 3rd from nw Indiana 29 days !!!!!
Old 04-04-2013, 12:00 PM   #2602
armsom
Earning My Ears

Leaving 4/17 from CT
Old 04-04-2013, 01:07 PM   #2603
Mandilyn
Earning My Ears

We are driving from OKC to WDW at the end of May. DH, me, and 4 kids. We have driven to Destin before, but this will be our first time driving to WDW. Have fun on your trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OklahomaTourist View Post
Anyone here planning a drive from the midwest, eg Oklahoma/Texas/Kansas vicinity in the near future?

Have done it a few times, now...and looking forward to ours later this summer, just looking for road trip war stories from fellow travelers.

Our family loves the trip, I've got the drive all-but memorized....can hardly wait.

Port Orleans - 1992
Pop Century - May 2008
Offsite - May 2013

Old 04-04-2013, 02:06 PM   #2604
cruisingkat
DIS Veteran

We are leaving sometime after April 15 as soon as hubby finishes his last tax client and I get the okay from my doctor following foot surgery.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:25 PM   #2605
OklahomaTourist
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandilyn View Post
We are driving from OKC to WDW at the end of May. DH, me, and 4 kids. We have driven to Destin before, but this will be our first time driving to WDW. Have fun on your trip!
Awesome!! How long are you planning for your drive down? Looking like we're both coming from the central part of OK!!!
Old 04-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #2606
Mandilyn
Earning My Ears

Quote:

Awesome!! How long are you planning for your drive down? Looking like we're both coming from the central part of OK!!!
Originally, we were planning on 2 days, with a stop around Mobile. Now DH is wanting to do it straight through. We will have a 1 year old and 2 year old with us. Hoping they will sleep if we drive straight through. When are you going?

Port Orleans - 1992
Pop Century - May 2008
Offsite - May 2013

Old 04-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #2607
OklahomaTourist
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandilyn View Post
Originally, we were planning on 2 days, with a stop around Mobile. Now DH is wanting to do it straight through. We will have a 1 year old and 2 year old with us. Hoping they will sleep if we drive straight through. When are you going?
Sounds like you're taking the route I always promise myself I'll take next time . Now a straight-through drive is brave!!! We've done 14 hours from OKC to Macon, GA, then the next day about 6 hr into WDW proper the last few times and its worked out pretty well.

Sneaky parent trick we learned when we took our kids the first time: If you leave in the weeeee hours of the AM, wear them out the evening before, let them get excited, wake 'em up long enough to get them in the car, and once you hit the road they'll be out like a light inside an hour - maybe even less since yours are even younger than ours were the first time. Worked like an absolute charm for us, and the kiddos didn't wake up until we were pulling into a McD's for breakfast about four hours later.

This time, we're heading out middle part of June. Can't wait!
Old 04-04-2013, 03:14 PM   #2608
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
So...who is next on the road to WDW, besides glo who is departing on 4/10?

All the best.
Hitting the road after church 4/14..
Old 04-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #2609
letthewookiewin
"That's 'cause droids don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookiees are known to do that."-Han Solo
"I see your point, sir. I suggest a new strategy, R2: let the Wookiee win."-C-3PO

Quote:
Sounds like you're taking the route I always promise myself I'll take next time . Now a straight-through drive is brave!!! We've done 14 hours from OKC to Macon, GA, then the next day about 6 hr into WDW proper the last few times and its worked out pretty well.

Sneaky parent trick we learned when we took our kids the first time: If you leave in the weeeee hours of the AM, wear them out the evening before, let them get excited, wake 'em up long enough to get them in the car, and once you hit the road they'll be out like a light inside an hour - maybe even less since yours are even younger than ours were the first time. Worked like an absolute charm for us, and the kiddos didn't wake up until we were pulling into a McD's for breakfast about four hours later.

This time, we're heading out middle part of June. Can't wait!
Which way are y'all driving to WDW?

Luckily, our DS were 13 & 14 at the time of the trip, so we didn't have to worry about them being too hyper in the minivan. We just had to change out their movie in the DVD and they were quiet. We only had an issue with the boys once and that was over the ice chest. My DH made the youngest DS "King of the Ice Chest". Which basically meant, if someone wanted a drink from the ice chest, it was the youngest DS's job to get it. Well the oldest DS wanted a drink, but didn't want to bother the youngest since he could reach the ice chest just as easily. The youngest was not too happy about the oldest getting his own drink.

We're driving to WDW again in September from Justin, Texas, which is between Fort Worth and Denton on 35. Last year, as soon as the DSs got out of school, we left and drove straight through to just the other side of Memphis on the first night. We were stopping to see one of my DH's cousin's on the way to WDW. After visiting with his cousin's family most of the day, we drove to Tallahassee before stopping for the night. Then we made it to Orlando the next day, which was the day before checking into our WDW resort. The first night we attempted to find a room in Memphis, but couldn't find anything until New Albany, MS thanks to a huge baseball tourney. Then we had a hard time finding a place to stay in Tallahassee thanks to the same issue.

Like last time, we'll leave as soon as the DSs get out of school. Then we'll take 20 to Shreveport, 49 to Lafayette, 10 to the Gulfport/ Buloxi area. We'll take a night there to tour the Jefferson Davis house. Once back on the road we'll stay on 10, until we get to 75, and then 91 into Orlando.

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
Old 04-04-2013, 03:33 PM   #2610
OklahomaTourist
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by letthewookiewin View Post
Which way are y'all driving to WDW?

Luckily, our DS were 13 & 14 at the time of the trip, so we didn't have to worry about them being too hyper in the minivan. We just had to change out their movie in the DVD and they were quiet. We only had an issue with the boys once and that was over the ice chest. My DH made the youngest DS "King of the Ice Chest". Which basically meant, if someone wanted a drink from the ice chest, it was the youngest DS's job to get it. Well the oldest DS wanted a drink, but didn't want to bother the youngest since he could reach the ice chest just as easily. The youngest was not too happy about the oldest getting his own drink.

We're driving to WDW again in September from Justin, Texas, which is between Fort Worth and Denton on 35. Last year, as soon as the DSs got out of school, we left and drove straight through to just the other side of Memphis on the first night. We were stopping to see one of my DH's cousin's on the way to WDW. After visiting with his cousin's family most of the day, we drove to Tallahassee before stopping for the night. Then we made it to Orlando the next day, which was the day before checking into our WDW resort. The first night we attempted to find a room in Memphis, but couldn't find anything until New Albany, MS thanks to a huge baseball tourney. Then we had a hard time finding a place to stay in Tallahassee thanks to the same issue.

Like last time, we'll leave as soon as the DSs get out of school. Then we'll take 20 to Shreveport, 49 to Lafayette, 10 to the Gulfport/ Buloxi area. We'll take a night there to tour the Jefferson Davis house. Once back on the road we'll stay on 10, until we get to 75, and then 91 into Orlando.
I've gotten pretty darned comfortable taking I-40 to Memphis, then I22/US78 all the way to Birmingham, then looping around to I-20 toward Atlanta, then south on I-75 to Macon for the first leg, then from Macon on into Orlando/WDW the next day. The first day is a little long, but it makes the second day short and ramps up the anticipation for getting into WDW in the middle of the day.

Tried to reconcile avoiding Atlanta, but that inevitably led me through a bunch of lesser-known Georgia highways and byways, and I frankly did not want to test any rural speed trap legends. Only had one really really bad time going through Atlanta, and our GPS got us around the worst of it, so I'm keeping Ye Olde Fingers crossed!

Never been brave enough to not have hotel booked both ways (the one night out/back). I remember as a kid riding in my folks car to the NE where we didn't have reservations, and a snowstorm booked up everything from our stopover to the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. That taught me well.

The key for us is to keep the 17-year-old DS OUT of the ice chest long enough to let everyone ELSE have a snack before HE confiscates it all!!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: