Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 01:17 AM   #2581
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyholic View Post
When in April? We will be getting in on the 15th, going on a DCL cruise on the 18th, back to WDW for 1 night on the 21st and then driving home.
It appears that our paths will cross...briefly.

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (40 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk
Old 03-31-2013, 07:50 AM   #2582
joedplumber
Love Vacationing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OklahomaTourist View Post

Two days down for 20 hours is eminently doable, if I understood you correctly. Actually, one tip I have picked up after trying it on my second drive down from OK was to make the first day a bit longer when you split up the drive. For us, central OK to WDW is a 20-hour drive, too, but I don't split it up 10-and-10. I push our first day to 14 hours - really the max I'm comfortable pushing a single day - which leaves me only 6 hours the next day, getting us into WDW proper a few hours early and not leaving you anywhere near as fatigued after that second-day drive.

We followed this strategy the last three trips and its really worked out nice for us; although in 2011 our early arrival was botched because WDW's computers were being overhauled *the day we arrived* and *everyone's* check in was being delayed - it took us *four hours* to get our room, scuttling our plans to spend our first afternoon in Downtown Disney . But we were comped for the first night, fortunately. But that's an aside. The point here is that splitting the drive heavy on the first day was a bonus on the second day.

For your route, it appears that Nashville is a down-the-middle split 10/10. If you pushed the first day two more hours to Chattanooga, you'd only have an 8-hour drive the next day; if you pushed it just a tad further, to Marietta, GA, that's about 13-1/2 hours, leaving only 6-1/2 the next day. Might be worth considering!
Right on! We do the same coming from CT. Drive to GA the first day and then the second day is a short ride to Disney. Also my wife and I split the ride 50/50 each of us swapping drivers at each stop. Really reduces the driving fatigue.

When I'm not working I'm planning my next WDW trip!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-31-2013, 08:22 AM   #2583
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyholic View Post
When in April? We will be getting in on the 15th, going on a DCL cruise on the 18th, back to WDW for 1 night on the 21st and then driving home.
We are arriving on the 15th also. Leaving south-central PA around noon on Sunday the 14th (depends on how long-winded the preacher is -- my dh is the preacher, lol), one night hopefully in the Orangeburg, SC area and hope to arrive at POFQ in the early afternoon.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:52 AM   #2584
ddluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedplumber View Post

Right on! We do the same coming from CT. Drive to GA the first day and then the second day is a short ride to Disney. Also my wife and I split the ride 50/50 each of us swapping drivers at each stop. Really reduces the driving fatigue.
How long does it take to get to GA for you? We are coming from MA and we can only get to NC. SC would be pushing it- I would be to tired to help DH drive. I wish we could get all the way to GA. Have a safe trip!
February 2014*December 2013*October2013 F&W *September 2013*July 2013-Our condo.*April 2013- Our condo!!*April 2012- Sheraton Vistana*August 2011-Poly & HRH/CL Mom's 40th B-Day*November 2010- Bonnet Creek* August 2010-BC/CL & HRH/CL Mom's B-Day trip* April 2009- Orange Lake Resort* August 2008- GF/CL (Anniversary trip kid free)*April 2008- Orange Lake Resort* June 2007- Orange Lake Resort(2DS b-day trip)* April 2005- Orange Lake Resort* May 1995- CBR (honeymoon)* April 1988 off property* July 1978 off property
Old 03-31-2013, 09:13 AM   #2585
joedplumber
Love Vacationing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddluvsdisney View Post

How long does it take to get to GA for you? We are coming from MA and we can only get to NC. SC would be pushing it- I would be to tired to help DH drive. I wish we could get all the way to GA. Have a safe trip!
We left southern CT at 4am and arrived in Savannah GA a little after 8pm.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:06 PM   #2586
conefrog
Earning My Ears

Quote:

Two days down for 20 hours is eminently doable, if I understood you correctly. Actually, one tip I have picked up after trying it on my second drive down from OK was to make the first day a bit longer when you split up the drive. For us, central OK to WDW is a 20-hour drive, too, but I don't split it up 10-and-10. I push our first day to 14 hours - really the max I'm comfortable pushing a single day - which leaves me only 6 hours the next day, getting us into WDW proper a few hours early and not leaving you anywhere near as fatigued after that second-day drive.

We followed this strategy the last three trips and its really worked out nice for us; although in 2011 our early arrival was botched because WDW's computers were being overhauled *the day we arrived* and *everyone's* check in was being delayed - it took us *four hours* to get our room, scuttling our plans to spend our first afternoon in Downtown Disney . But we were comped for the first night, fortunately. But that's an aside. The point here is that splitting the drive heavy on the first day was a bonus on the second day.

For your route, it appears that Nashville is a down-the-middle split 10/10. If you pushed the first day two more hours to Chattanooga, you'd only have an 8-hour drive the next day; if you pushed it just a tad further, to Marietta, GA, that's about 13-1/2 hours, leaving only 6-1/2 the next day. Might be worth considering!
Thanks! This is exactly what we have planned. Chattanooga or Marietta. Have checked trip advisor for hotels. Two drivers, me and my husband
Old 03-31-2013, 08:57 PM   #2587
ddluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

I have a kinda stupid question...
Has anybody ever travelled with a bike rack before? I've never had one before, never mind driven to FL with one.

Do I get a lock and lock them for the overnight on our way down?
February 2014*December 2013*October2013 F&W *September 2013*July 2013-Our condo.*April 2013- Our condo!!*April 2012- Sheraton Vistana*August 2011-Poly & HRH/CL Mom's 40th B-Day*November 2010- Bonnet Creek* August 2010-BC/CL & HRH/CL Mom's B-Day trip* April 2009- Orange Lake Resort* August 2008- GF/CL (Anniversary trip kid free)*April 2008- Orange Lake Resort* June 2007- Orange Lake Resort(2DS b-day trip)* April 2005- Orange Lake Resort* May 1995- CBR (honeymoon)* April 1988 off property* July 1978 off property
Old 04-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #2588
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddluvsdisney View Post
I have a kinda stupid question...
Has anybody ever travelled with a bike rack before? I've never had one before, never mind driven to FL with one.

Do I get a lock and lock them for the overnight on our way down?
We've seen a number of bikes on bike racks heading south before. But if you are staying overnight at any hotel or motel (unless 24-hour security is offered), lock the bike.

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (40 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk
Old 04-01-2013, 01:27 PM   #2589
LadyBeBop
DIS Veteran

Quote:

One problem about stopping in Marietta. If you're arriving at Disney on a weekday (Monday through Friday), you'll start off your day going through Atlanta during morning rush hour. Might as well travel the extra 30-45 minutes, and get south of Atlanta. Either that, or don't take off until after rush hour (about 9 AM).

Even if you're stopping in Chattanooga, you still could hit the tail end of Atlanta if you leave early enough. I wouldn't leave Chattanooga until at least 7:30 AM.

Of course, all this is moot if you're travelling during the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
What? 2019 or 2020? Say it ain't so!

You must "sneak in a day" next year. That's an order!
Old 04-01-2013, 04:54 PM   #2590
ddluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post

We've seen a number of bikes on bike racks heading south before. But if you are staying overnight at any hotel or motel (unless 24-hour security is offered), lock the bike.

All the best.
Thanks!

I know I can lock the bikes to the rack, but the rack is not locked to the car- can be just pulled off. Was wondering what kind of lock people use.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:55 AM   #2591
Lilysmom
Mouseketeer

Hi all! I'm looking for some suggestions for where to do a one night stop along the way. This will be our 6th drive down in the past three years but we normally go straight through the night. I'm up by the central NJ shore. We usually leave around 3pm in the afternoon and get into Disney around lunch time the following day. I think this time I'd like to leave earlier in the day, do the bulk of the driving day one and stop for the night somewhere maybe 6 or so hours from Florida. I'm thinking maybe the GA area? If any one has someplace that's tried and true I'd love a recommendation.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:34 AM   #2592
joedplumber
Love Vacationing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilysmom View Post
Hi all! I'm looking for some suggestions for where to do a one night stop along the way. This will be our 6th drive down in the past three years but we normally go straight through the night. I'm up by the central NJ shore. We usually leave around 3pm in the afternoon and get into Disney around lunch time the following day. I think this time I'd like to leave earlier in the day, do the bulk of the driving day one and stop for the night somewhere maybe 6 or so hours from Florida. I'm thinking maybe the GA area? If any one has someplace that's tried and true I'd love a recommendation.
We stayed in Savannah GA at Holiday Inn Express Savannah Airport. It is right off of I95 and about a 5 hour drive to Disney from there.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:04 AM   #2593
hebbynan
Chase and Eli's Mom

Quote:
We stayed in Savannah GA at Holiday Inn Express Savannah Airport. It is right off of I95 and about a 5 hour drive to Disney from there.
There is a Days Inn right off I-95 in Savannah...I recommend that you DO NOT stay there. DH and I stayed there last October when we drove to Miami for a cruise and it was awful!! We won't make that same mistake this September when we head to WDW!!

WL February 2017 for DS high school band trip * WL 2013*ASMo 2011/2010/2006*FW 2007*SoG 2000*Off Site 1998
Old 04-02-2013, 01:28 PM   #2594
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilysmom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hebbynan View Post
There is a Days Inn right off I-95 in Savannah...I recommend that you DO NOT stay there. DH and I stayed there last October when we drove to Miami for a cruise and it was awful!! We won't make that same mistake this September when we head to WDW!!
We stayed in a Country Inn and Suites off 95/Savannah. It was great, really nice breakfast and very nice staff. It's a great location, you have plenty of time to drive at a leisurely pace, stop at the Florida Welcome Center for your free OJ, and get to WDW by check-in time!

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
Old 04-02-2013, 01:36 PM   #2595
glo
"Has a heart bigger then all of Cuba" :)

We are leaving Boston at 4 pm on a Wednesday night 4/10. Going to drive straight through with 4 people driving, but only 2 can drive at night. Just ordered a Sun Pass we hope gets here in time for next Wednesday. Has anyone ordered one to MA? How long did it take? We are onsite using DVC two nights, then staying at the Comfort Inn Cocoa Beach with pay and Park for one night. Getting on the Disney Dream for 4 nights, then back for three nights at Wilderness Lodge. Then heading home on Saturday afternoon to be back in Boston by Sunday 4/21. We are so excited. We will not be taking 95S, but the alternate route of 90W to 84 to 81 to 77 to 26 to I4 ( or the alternate there too). Can't wait for this vacation to start!

(me) (DH) (DD23) (DD17) (DD17)
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: