Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 12:51 PM   #241
LadyBeBop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minniefamily13 View Post
We are in south east Michigan, the northern suburbs of Detroit.
OK, the 12 hour mark will put you just south of Atlanta; the 13 hour mark will put you somewhere near Macon; the 14 hour mark will put you just north of Cordele. Keep in mind, these are without rest, gas or food stops. However, all three places are good places to stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
What? 2019 or 2020? Say it ain't so!

You must "sneak in a day" next year. That's an order!
Old 11-11-2011, 01:32 PM   #242
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
"Around" DC? Never.

Once we cross the DE Memorial Bridge it's I-95 all the way to Exit #260-B in FL: I-4.

Since we departed early last month (at 12:35 a.m.) we reached DC at 3:53 a.m. No problem with traffic and no need to go around DC.

[BTW: When driving on I-95 you actually drive through a tiny corner of DC as you cross the Wilson Bridge!]

If you leave home at 6:00 a.m. on a workday, you will confront some big-time rush hour traffic in NYC and NJ. We are sure you are well aware of that. Be patient.

Have a great I-95 journey.

All the best.
Nice to know BC! So, if we leave at 4 am on a Saturday in January, we should be fine just sticking to 95 if we hit DC around 6:30, right? That's our plan, for sure we will NOT use 495 West!!!

Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-11-2011, 02:07 PM   #243
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadoc View Post
Nice to know BC! So, if we leave at 4 am on a Saturday in January, we should be fine just sticking to 95 if we hit DC around 6:30, right? That's our plan, for sure we will NOT use 495 West!!!

Since you're from Montgomery County, getting through/past Philly should not be a problem on a Saturday if you depart at 4 a.m. Likewise, I-95 should not be a problem by the time you reach the Wilson Bridge. [No need for I-495.]

Morning shoppers in the Fredericksburg-Woodbridge-Lorton area may be noticeable on the highway, though, by the time you drive through northern VA.

Your major concern at that time of the year is the weather. Even a drizzle the night before turns into "back ice" before dawn. Of course, it's also the middle of winter.

Travel wisely and with caution.

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (38 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:47 PM   #244
annabelle125
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Do you sleep well the night before? If not, you might want to get e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g ready the evening before and have yourselves showered before bedtime. If you are too excited to sleep and wake at say, 2 a.m., you can rally the troops and hop in the car to get a jump on things. Not that I have personal experience with this or anything.

The roads are open 24 hrs a day, and nothing wrong with taking advantage of a little insomnia if it comes your way.

We WERE (notice past tense) planning on leaving at 4:30-5 am tomorrow (Sat 11/12). DH now wants to move it back-- seriously, every time the man opens his mouth, we are leaving even earlier. I'm sure we will be out of the house no later than 3:00 am .

Oh well, I didn't think the kids would sleep tonight anyway (yeh, the kids thats it....)

Anne

Old 11-11-2011, 06:42 PM   #245
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabelle125 View Post
We WERE (notice past tense) planning on leaving at 4:30-5 am tomorrow (Sat 11/12). DH now wants to move it back-- seriously, every time the man opens his mouth, we are leaving even earlier. I'm sure we will be out of the house no later than 3:00 am .

Oh well, I didn't think the kids would sleep tonight anyway (yeh, the kids thats it....)

Anne

If you do leave around 3 a.m. you'll make tremendous progress in your drive. Stay alert and be safe!

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (38 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:43 PM   #246
alenushka
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nono View Post
Do you sleep well the night before? If not, you might want to get e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g ready the evening before and have yourselves showered before bedtime. If you are too excited to sleep and wake at say, 2 a.m., you can rally the troops and hop in the car to get a jump on things. Not that I have personal experience with this or anything.

The roads are open 24 hrs a day, and nothing wrong with taking advantage of a little insomnia if it comes your way.

We usually pack almost everything the night before (except last minute items such as our picnic bag, pillows, etc). Yes, insomnia is well known to ME, but not to DH and he is the primary driver. So, even if I am not sleeping I would not dare waking him up before his alarm clock. I wish he was more enthusiastic about Disney, but he is not... and I better let him sleep But, you made a very good point...just in case he is awake a little earlier I will jump at that opportunity.
We used to leave at 9 pm and drive through the night with a short nap somewhere in NC, but last time it was too hard for both of us driving through the night and this option does not work for us any more
Old 11-12-2011, 06:27 AM   #247
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabelle125 View Post

Anne

7:30 a.m. now so you are surely on the road. Have a wonderful trip!
Old 11-12-2011, 05:59 PM   #248
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
7:30 a.m. now so you are surely on the road. Have a wonderful trip!
Annabelle125 has not replied. No doubt, she and her family are too busy enjoying the magic.

All the best.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:58 PM   #249
Calle&Jakesmom
DIS Veteran

New England Drivers

Did a "trial" drive through Worcester yesterday at the same time on a Friday that we will be going in February (around 4:15). Wasn't too bad- but it was Veteran's Day so not exactly what we'd see on a regular Friday afternoon. Traffic was heavy, but nothing that slowed us down.

Our plan will be to leave Southern NH around 3:15 and head through Worcester. We've always done this and gone the Mass pike to 84 and then through Hartford 91 to 95. We're thinking this time to do 395 from Worcester to 95. Seems to us given the time of day this might be a better bet.

Any thoughts or experience would be appreciated.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:06 AM   #250
nono
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenushka View Post

We usually pack almost everything the night before (except last minute items such as our picnic bag, pillows, etc). Yes, insomnia is well known to ME, but not to DH and he is the primary driver. So, even if I am not sleeping I would not dare waking him up before his alarm clock.
Have him sleep in the car the night before and bribe him with the fact that you'll drive the early hours!

Seriously, have a great drive!!!!
Old 11-13-2011, 07:43 AM   #251
laura428
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2maggie View Post
I didn't think I could join this thread, but I just mapped it out, and between my driveway and our resort at Coronado Springs it is EXACTLY 1,000 miles. So I guess that means our round trip drive will be EXACTLY 2,000 miles.

This will be our 3rd drive down from central Indiana - 2009, 2010, and now 2012!
We're just north of you, east of South Bend. Hi neighbor!

Depending on how far east or west central you are, I'm assuming that you'll eventually be hooking up to 65 south, correct? Google maps is suggesting we do 31 South (oh joy!) - 465 East - 65 South - 24 East - 75 South, for a total of 2,254 miles round trip. I'm starting to re-think this, though, with what I've seen on this thread about the bridge construction around Louisville.

We've built in a few days on either side of WDW to make it more bearable for our DS8 and DD6 (and DH... ). We'll be leaving early Friday, December 30th, and staying in Nashville that night after 8 hours plus pitstops. Saturday will have us driving another 8 or so hours (plus stops) to Valdosta, GA. On Sunday, we'll drive another 4 hours or so to Orlando. We'll spend the day at Downtown Disney, check in off-site for the night, then get up early Monday the 2nd, check into POR, then hit the parks!

Leaving Friday the 6th after lunch, driving back 6 hours (plus stops) to Macon, GA. On Saturday, we'll drive 8 1/2 hours (plus stops) to Louisville. Then Sunday we'll drive home (another 5 1/2 hours plus stops).

I'm tired just thinking about it! But just as excited.

My only concern is the weather. The first week of January is great for us because the kids don't go back to school until the 9th. I just hope the driving conditions are ok. I drive a ton for work (3 1/2 to 4 hour commute everyday), and the weather can add lots of time to the trip. Fingers crossed.
2014 Princess Half Marathon
Old 11-13-2011, 03:42 PM   #252
alenushka
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nono View Post
Have him sleep in the car the night before and bribe him with the fact that you'll drive the early hours!

Seriously, have a great drive!!!!

Thank you!
Old 11-13-2011, 05:07 PM   #253
WendyKris
Earning My Ears

I have started to take 395 to 95 myself. I pick it up in Oxford and sail right down to 95. I used to take the Pike to 84, but I hate, hate, hate, going through Hartford at any time of the day or night.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:41 PM   #254
skoba-nelson
Back Off, I'm Grumpy

Just got home today. From Lorain, Ohio and back 2214 on the trip odometer. Only drove a tiny bit extra. Drove to Winter Summerland for mini-golf from Pop Century, drove to the Contemporary and then DtD before heading out Friday, and all 3 overnight stays (1 SB, 2 NB) were within eyesight (and earshot) of the highway.
05/07 PC******************12/07 ASM
12/07 AKL***********05/08 FW
11/09 HH*******11/11 PC
Old 11-14-2011, 07:44 AM   #255
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoba-nelson View Post
Just got home today. From Lorain, Ohio and back 2214 on the trip odometer. Only drove a tiny bit extra. Drove to Winter Summerland for mini-golf from Pop Century, drove to the Contemporary and then DtD before heading out Friday, and all 3 overnight stays (1 SB, 2 NB) were within eyesight (and earshot) of the highway.
Sounds like a busy, cool, fun time!

Get ready for your next drive!

All the best.

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: