Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  


Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-13-2013, 10:36 AM   #2401
armsom
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmdeve
Will be doing 81/77/26/95 route and want to stop overnight in Georgia. We were thinking about stopping in Brunswick, Ga. Any hotel suggestions and is Brunswick a good stopping place or is ther a better place to stop?
Make sure to stop at the Denny's in Brunswick with the bowling alley to eat. Novelty on our drives for our family.
armsom is offline  
Old 02-13-2013, 03:05 PM   #2402
BC1836
DIS Veteran
 
BC1836's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: The Jersey Shore
Posts: 2,282

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmdeve View Post
Will be doing 81/77/26/95 route and want to stop overnight in Georgia. We were thinking about stopping in Brunswick, Ga. Any hotel suggestions and is Brunswick a good stopping place or is ther a better place to stop?
We are planning to make our overnight April stop in Brunswick for the first time (we've done 28 drives so far since 2002 including 12 "straight-through" drives). We will probably stay at the Holiday Inn Express.

Fill us in on your Brunswick experience.

All the best.
__________________
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (38 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian
BC1836 is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-13-2013, 03:42 PM   #2403
disneymarie
Its a rumour about the donuts...
Can we play Nancy Drew?
 
disneymarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,616

Quote:
Originally Posted by feet1 View Post
I am trying to figure out how long it will take is realistically with potty stops and a lunch break. I see you're from the Lehigh Valley area...I'm in Hershey, not far at all...if I look at google maps, it has me going down route 15 to I270 in MD then I295 around DC then I95 the rest of the way. Seems that we miss the whole 95 around Baltimore and DC with where we are staring. And we plan on leaving at 2am. Google maps tells us 14 hrs 36min. So I'm thinking with stops it will before like 16 hours. Does this seem acurate? Would you still recommend 81/77/26/95 over us starting on rt15 to I270/295/95?

It's me and mg husband driving. My mom is going too but doesn't feel comfortable driving our minivan.
Hi feet 1
We are north of you an hr and half, on I 81. Our few drives have been down to. Gettysburg on 15, somewhere end up on I 95 after the 295 bypass and area.
That seems like your trip. But our timing sucked hitting about 3 pm traffic. Mostly it was moving, we entered at Lorton, I think after GPS must have rerouted us. It was a stop for dinner going down just before getting on i 95, and hit long traffic, It really creeped. But to continue the GPS detour would have added miles and time anyway.

We drive about 8 hrs each day. Stopping for the night around nth / South Carolina border. I think Florence one trip, can't remember the last one. Then drive 8 hrs he next day to arrive. The is several potty stops, dinner day one, breakfast and Togo mini mart stop on day 2. When we arrive by the I 4 if it is supper time there are places we can stop before arriving check in and fire works.

I really get exhausted doing nothing, lol. I think it is all he extra packing and thing s I fill the car with. I think I am packing only what we need, but it seems ridiculous compared to flying?
Have fun.
__________________

Last edited by disneymarie; 02-13-2013 at 03:55 PM.
disneymarie is offline  
Old 02-13-2013, 04:07 PM   #2404
disneymarie
Its a rumour about the donuts...
Can we play Nancy Drew?
 
disneymarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,616

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
hi feet1!!!.
ill be in your area on march 9th, dw and i have resis. at the progress grill in harrisburg!!! we are driving to harrisburg for lobster!!!
have a safe trip!
Hello dvszerfs,
Have a great dinner, I thought we were crazy going from I 80 I 81 junction to Tamaqua for Italian dinners. We did Allentown several times, at Bucca Di Beppe, and grand ol trips to the old spaghetti warehouse in Phila.

No trips planned yet this year, but we are going, June or Sept. our cruise is May instead of Labor Day week this year. My son is having cervical fusion at Hershey next week so not sure about a June trip.

Maybe we'll pass in Sept.
__________________
disneymarie is offline  
Old 02-13-2013, 07:16 PM   #2405
feet1
Mouseketeer
 
feet1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chocolatetown...Hershey PA
Posts: 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymarie

Hi feet 1
We are north of you an hr and half, on I 81. Our few drives have been down to. Gettysburg on 15, somewhere end up on I 95 after the 295 bypass and area.
That seems like your trip. But our timing sucked hitting about 3 pm traffic. Mostly it was moving, we entered at Lorton, I think after GPS must have rerouted us. It was a stop for dinner going down just before getting on i 95, and hit long traffic, It really creeped. But to continue the GPS detour would have added miles and time anyway.

We drive about 8 hrs each day. Stopping for the night around nth / South Carolina border. I think Florence one trip, can't remember the last one. Then drive 8 hrs he next day to arrive. The is several potty stops, dinner day one, breakfast and Togo mini mart stop on day 2. When we arrive by the I 4 if it is supper time there are places we can stop before arriving check in and fire works.

I really get exhausted doing nothing, lol. I think it is all he extra packing and thing s I fill the car with. I think I am packing only what we need, but it seems ridiculous compared to flying?
Have fun.

My parents are in Clarks Summit! About 2 hours north of me! You must be near Wilkes Barre! I was talking with a friend who drives down frequently, they live up by Scranton too. They take 81/83/95. Since we plan on leaving at 2am we will definitely miss rush hour around the big cities. I'm still not sure what route to take. We have a few months to figure it out! I know I want it to be the quickest route...I need to see Mickey!!!
__________________
-Laura


1984 (I was 9) - off site 1989 - off site 1992 -CBR 2006 - POFQ 2007 - WL
Sept 19-27 2013 POFQ

feet1 is offline  
Old 02-14-2013, 10:32 PM   #2406
kjpotter
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 285

Are there any good recommendations for a hotel around Macon?
__________________
Me (37), DH (37), DD (10), and DD (7)
2010 6 adults + 6 kids + 8 days at WDW = one tired trip planner
2013 Pop Century Resort
kjpotter is offline  
Old 02-15-2013, 03:46 PM   #2407
DSLRuser
Age is a state of mind
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: midwest
Posts: 1,005

Step 1, determine what time of day you want to arrive.

Step 2 determine how long it takes to drive straight through

step 3, subtract step 2 from step 1.

i refuse to rent a hotel for 6-8 hours to sleep. the kids (6 and 12) can sleep in the acr, so does the wife.

it takes us about 16 hours, or 1,008 miles.

so we leave at 5:00pm. I let the wife drive as long as she can. 3 hours maybe. Then I fill up the car, the kids get in PJ's. and i drive all night.

we stop in ocala around 8:00am for break fast. then the wife takes the last 3 hours to disney. we usually hit the world around 10:00am.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

we do the same thing when we go home.

..........

so many benifits to driving all nights.

- kids and wife sleep while dad listens to old beastie boyz songs from the 80's

- mom is sleeping so she cant get a ticket for speeding

- traffic is very very light so dad doesnt have to honk at as many people for driving 55 in the left lane.

- saving money on a hotel room
__________________
*****30+ trips since 1993*****
Wilderness Lodge x 5
Beach Club x 4
Port Orleans FQ x3
Coranado Springs
Caribbean Beach Club
Contemporary Resort
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Yacht Club
Polynesian Resort
<<Disney Wonder>>
Marriot Sable Palms x 4
Marriot Royal Palms x 4
Bonnet Creek x 3
Marriot Cypress Harbor x 2
Marriot Grande Vista
DSLRuser is offline  
Old 02-15-2013, 07:04 PM   #2408
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran
 
dvczerfs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lehigh Valley Pa.
Posts: 9,566

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSLRuser View Post
Step 1, determine what time of day you want to arrive.

Step 2 determine how long it takes to drive straight through

step 3, subtract step 2 from step 1.

i refuse to rent a hotel for 6-8 hours to sleep. the kids (6 and 12) can sleep in the acr, so does the wife.

it takes us about 16 hours, or 1,008 miles.

so we leave at 5:00pm. I let the wife drive as long as she can. 3 hours maybe. Then I fill up the car, the kids get in PJ's. and i drive all night.

we stop in ocala around 8:00am for break fast. then the wife takes the last 3 hours to disney. we usually hit the world around 10:00am.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

we do the same thing when we go home.

..........

so many benifits to driving all nights.

- kids and wife sleep while dad listens to old beastie boyz songs from the 80's

- mom is sleeping so she cant get a ticket for speeding

- traffic is very very light so dad doesnt have to honk at as many people for driving 55 in the left lane.

- saving money on a hotel room
you forgot dad dont have to listen to mom. "move over, slow down, watch that truck!!!
we stopped doing the over night driving. we leave 2:30-3am and its about 15 1/2/ - 16 hours pending on which car we take.
you can tell when its 8am on the road, all the crown vics are out and in the left lane.
__________________
Driven 1100 miles each way, each year at least once a year since 1973. Started staying on property in 1987. Joined DVC in 1999. 41 years, 59 trips, 430 days and still counting!!!!

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!
2000+ MILE ROUND TRIP DRIVING THREAD.. DOUBLE DIAMOND DRIVER!

dvczerfs is offline  
Old 02-15-2013, 07:50 PM   #2409
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 12,838

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
you forgot dad dont have to listen to mom. "move over, slow down, watch that truck!!!
we stopped doing the over night driving. we leave 2:30-3am and its about 15 1/2/ - 16 hours pending on which car we take.
you can tell when its 8am on the road, all the crown vics are out and in the left lane.

I actually do better starting early, too. Leaving at midnight right after work used to work for me when I worked second shift but not anymore. Brother in law and I once made 1,085 miles leaving at 4 or 5 am and that worked real well
__________________
Gumbo4x4 is online now  
Old 02-15-2013, 10:18 PM   #2410
cruisingkat
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,463

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjpotter View Post
Are there any good recommendations for a hotel around Macon?
We usually stop at the Holiday Inn Express in Byron - just outside of Macon on 475 (75 goes into Macon - 475 goes straight).
cruisingkat is offline  
Old 02-16-2013, 09:47 AM   #2411
Dis_Dreamin
Mouseketeer
 
Dis_Dreamin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 482

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjpotter View Post
Are there any good recommendations for a hotel around Macon?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisingkat View Post
We usually stop at the Holiday Inn Express in Byron - just outside of Macon on 475 (75 goes into Macon - 475 goes straight).
We usually stop in Byron as well. Our stop is the Comfort Suites off of exit 149.
(http://www.comfortsuites.com/hotel-b...urce=gglocalai).

Our last trip down, we discovered Georgia Bobs BBQ just up the road from the Comfort Suites. Really enjoyed their food for dinner.
(http://www.georgiabobs.com/)
__________________
DIS Dad's Club Member #621 (since 2011)

June 2008 - Port Orleans French Quarter (First Trip)
May 2010 - Caribbean Beach Resort
June 2012 - Caribbean Beach Resort
April 2013 - Coronado Springs Resort (Mom and Dad only Anniversary trip!!)
October 2014 - Coronado Springs Resort
June 2015 - DISDads Dream Cruise



Dis_Dreamin is offline  
Old 02-16-2013, 11:50 AM   #2412
cruisingkat
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,463

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dis_Dreamin View Post
We usually stop in Byron as well. Our stop is the Comfort Suites off of exit 149.
(http://www.comfortsuites.com/hotel-b...urce=gglocalai).

Our last trip down, we discovered Georgia Bobs BBQ just up the road from the Comfort Suites. Really enjoyed their food for dinner.
(http://www.georgiabobs.com/)
We don't have to worry about dinner - as we leave our house in the morning, we stop at Subway and get a breakfast sandwich and regular foot long for each of us - that gives us breakfast, lunch (half the footlong) and dinner (the other half of the footlong - we pick out different footlongs so we can switch for dinner) and we don't have to worry about finding someplace to eat. I bring chips and other munchees for the road and stay ( I use old Disney popcorn buckets for the munchees - the different colored lids and handles make it easy to select the right munchee plus the buckets help keep the chips fresh in FL humidity) as well as a cooler with drinks and water.
We usually leave our house around 9am and arrive in Byron around 9pm so finding someplace for dinner that late is a pain. It's great to just get to the hotel, settle in and eat our half sandwich and get a good nights rest.
cruisingkat is offline  
Old 02-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #2413
MIChessGuy
Mouseketeer
 
MIChessGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Posts: 431

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjpotter View Post
Are there any good recommendations for a hotel around Macon?
On my trip down last month, I priceline'd the LaQuinta Inn (I-75 Exit 169) for a total of $46.25, including "taxes and fees." I had won this hotel for my January 2012 trip for about a dollar more and knew it was likely I'd get them again. In-room wireless internet and breakfast are included. I especially appreciated the waffle maker at breakfast.

Of course there is never any guarantee of winning any particular Priceline hotel. I have succeeded twice with bids in the mid-30s for the Macon (North) zone.
MIChessGuy is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 06:59 AM   #2414
Calle&Jakesmom
DIS Veteran
 
Calle&Jakesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 794

It's finally almost time!! We're leaving this Friday on our drive from southern NH. Can't wait! Just hoping the weather remains cooperative.

Planning on diverting from our regular straight-down 95 route and instead taking 84 to 81 in PA with an overnight stay in Gettysburg ($52 deal at the Days Inn). From there over to the DC beltway and back on 95 (with 295 around Richmond).
Seems like the travel time will be about the same, but $$ in tolls will be avoided as well as some heavy traffic in and around NYC, Jersey, and Baltimore.
__________________
Calle&Jakesmom is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 08:49 AM   #2415
MaestroTK
Mouseketeer
 
MaestroTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 143

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSLRuser View Post

it takes us about 16 hours, or 1,008 miles.

so we leave at 5:00pm. I let the wife drive as long as she can. 3 hours maybe. Then I fill up the car, the kids get in PJ's. and i drive all night.

we stop in ocala around 8:00am for break fast. then the wife takes the last 3 hours to disney. we usually hit the world around 10:00am.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

we do the same thing when we go home.

..........

so many benifits to driving all nights.

- kids and wife sleep while dad listens to old beastie boyz songs from the 80's

- mom is sleeping so she cant get a ticket for speeding

- traffic is very very light so dad doesnt have to honk at as many people for driving 55 in the left lane.

- saving money on a hotel room
This is our same plan/strategy. Let the kids sleep! We do it in about the same 16 hours/1000 miles.
__________________
ME DW DD(8) DS(6)
1984 (May) - WDW - Fort Wilderness
1996 (August) - WDW - Offsite - Hyatt Orlando
2003 (July) WDW - Offsite - Vacation Village at Parkway (RCI)
2006 (July) WDW - Offsite - Summer Bay Resort (RCI)
2006 (May) - DL - Carousel Inn
2007 (July) - WDW - Offsite - Vacation Village at Parkway (RCI)
2008 (March) - WDW - All Star Sports
2010 (June) - DL - Desert Palms

2011 (August) - WDW - Beach Club Villas
2013 (July) - WDW - Villas at Wilderness Lodge
2014 (April) - DL - Desert Palms
2014 (May) - DL - Desert Palms

2015 (August) - WDW - Villas at Wilderness Lodge or Beach Club Villas
MaestroTK is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.



You Rated this Thread: