Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 12:01 PM   #211
hsembrick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn&Sharon View Post
We use one on the back of our motor home. It works for us.
We did have one stolen once, while we were napping at a rest stop in WI. Now we have a locking receiver pin.
THANKS! So sorry to hear that it was stolen!

* 2006 - AKL * 2007 - Off site * 2008 - OKW * 2009 - ASMo
* 2010 - WL * 2011 - POP * Dec 2011 - ASMu

Old 11-09-2011, 12:06 PM   #212
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmdeve View Post
We plan on staying one night at POFQ before we check into the BC for our December trip. Would you empty all of your luggage, or leave it in the car until you move to the next hotel?

I know that you can have the luggage transferred for us but it we probably won't get to POFQ until 7 or 8 Pm and it seems easier to just leave it in the car and bring it with us. What do you do?
I'd go with the overnight bag also. Can't see why you would want to unload your car, haul it all to your room, only to call bell services in the morning and have them transfer it. I'm thinking -- tip to get it to the room, tip to get it out of the room, tip to get it transferred and delivered to your new room. I have better ways to spend my money!

We spend one night or two on the road and I pack an overnight bag for that. Works perfectly for us.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-09-2011, 12:16 PM   #213
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
I'd go with the overnight bag also. Can't see why you would want to unload your car, haul it all to your room, only to call bell services in the morning and have them transfer it. I'm thinking -- tip to get it to the room, tip to get it out of the room, tip to get it transferred and delivered to your new room. I have better ways to spend my money!

We spend one night or two on the road and I pack an overnight bag for that. Works perfectly for us.
when we stay over night, we do the same. pjs and one change.

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!
2000+ MILE ROUND TRIP DRIVING THREAD.. DOUBLE DIAMOND DRIVER!

Old 11-09-2011, 12:58 PM   #214
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
We plan on staying one night at POFQ before we check into the BC for our December trip. Would you empty all of your luggage, or leave it in the car until you move to the next hotel?

I know that you can have the luggage transferred for us but it we probably won't get to POFQ until 7 or 8 Pm and it seems easier to just leave it in the car and bring it with us. What do you do?
Leave it. We're doing it in the opposite direction - another hotel for the last night and we'll load up and take an overnight bag in.

On our last trip, we stayed 3 days at the Contemporary then moved to OKW. We packed separate bags for the Contemporary and left everything in the van to move it ourselves. I think it's more trouble than it's worth to unpack just to have it moved and be unsure when you'll see everything at the new place.

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
Old 11-09-2011, 12:59 PM   #215
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2maggie View Post
I didn't think I could join this thread, but I just mapped it out, and between my driveway and our resort at Coronado Springs it is EXACTLY 1,000 miles. So I guess that means our round trip drive will be EXACTLY 2,000 miles.

This will be our 3rd drive down from central Indiana - 2009, 2010, and now 2012!
Oh, we welcome those that don't fit the criteria exactly Just as long as you love driving and won't bash us for not flying!!!

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
Old 11-09-2011, 01:06 PM   #216
mom2maggie
DIS Veteran

Quote:

We do this every time - we drive down and stay at a DTD hotel the day before our resort stay starts. I pack 3 sets of bags - 1 set is our regular/resort vacation bags, packed furthest from the door, then near the door is our toiletries bag and our overnight bags for the extra day. It has pajamas and a change of clothes. I pack 2 of them in case we get tired on the drive down and find somewhere to sleep for the night.

Me DH DD8 DD4
Old 11-09-2011, 01:09 PM   #217
mom2maggie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadoc View Post
Oh, we welcome those that don't fit the criteria exactly Just as long as you love driving and won't bash us for not flying!!!
Oh, I do! We prefer to drive - yeah, its a long way, and yeah, we have to add at least a day (or two) to each end of our trip, but we have our van with us, I don't have to fret about how to pack, and I can bring as much shampoo with me as I want - more than 3oz, thats for sure Plus, isn't it part of the fun? Who doesn't love a good road trip?

Me DH DD8 DD4
Old 11-09-2011, 01:51 PM   #218
angwill
I just want to live at WDW!

Quote:

I have a small suitcase with all the necessities for all of us to get by a couple days and only take that one in leaving the rest of the luggage in the trunk. This way has always been easiest for us.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:09 PM   #219
BC1836
DIS Veteran

We are also of the "overnight bag" club. We also take a few extra bags with us (especially the computer) when we check in to that pre or post-WDW hotel/motel. The rest of the luggage is kept out of sight in our vehicle by a removable shelf.

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (38 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:28 PM   #220
minniefamily13
Earning My Ears

I'm glad to join this great thread! We are planning our 1st trip driving down in April 2012. We have only been to Disney once (in 2009) but we flew down.

We are excited to drive this time. Anyone out there from Michigan, have advice on driving down I 75?

We are planning to leave on a Sunday around 5:00 am and try to drive as far as possible but at least 12-14 hours. Any advice on where to stop for the night? It will be me, DH, DD8 and DD6.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:26 PM   #221
alenushka
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
Question for those who make a one-night stayover in Savannah: If you are not doing anything other than securing a room for an overnight sleep on the way to WDW, why are you stopping in Savannah? Doesn't it add about a hour to your total drive? Wouldn't it be better to reserve a hotel/motel room a few hundred yards off an I-95 exit? Savanah's a great place to spend some time in but it appears to be a bit off the path when considering time.

Please advise. [We're actually planning an extended stay in Savannah.]

All the best.
I don't know why they call hotels right off I-95 "Savannah"; it is very confusing When we book a hotel on I-95 near Savannah, I always ask/check directions to make sure it is right off the highway. Thank you for your previous comments to my questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patclairesmom View Post
I think when people are saying they are stopping in Savannah they mean right off of I95, not going into the city. There are tons of hotels on I95 that are in "Savannah".
Agree!
Old 11-09-2011, 10:59 PM   #222
disneymarie
Its a rumour about the donuts...
Can we play Nancy Drew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsembrick View Post

Any suggestions on how to keep the car as clutter free as possible? We are driving my Expedition and are planning on having all the luggage in a roof rack bag. There is not much room behind the third row so it will consist of an umbrella stroller, and food that we are carrying down for our family suite along with any thing else we can cram back there!!

So looking forward to reading this thread and see how all you "professional" road trippers handle the drives!
For our recent drive down I had the guys pick up a tail gate hitch cargo carrier. It was at Harbor Freight for under $100. For a few dollars picked up a set of working lights not to have a problem with visibility or laws for them. I had the stroller, largest luggage bag in a plastic cover, and cooler. It will hold 500 lbs. this was a great way without the cargo carrier on top to travel. The harder part was deciding to stow it in our room instead of leaving it in the back of the Van. Not for everyone but it really worked out well for us.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:59 AM   #223
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymarie View Post
For our recent drive down I had the guys pick up a tail gate hitch cargo carrier. It was at Harbor Freight for under $100. For a few dollars picked up a set of working lights not to have a problem with visibility or laws for them. I had the stroller, largest luggage bag in a plastic cover, and cooler. It will hold 500 lbs. this was a great way without the cargo carrier on top to travel. The harder part was deciding to stow it in our room instead of leaving it in the back of the Van. Not for everyone but it really worked out well for us.
what are the dates for your next trip?

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!
2000+ MILE ROUND TRIP DRIVING THREAD.. DOUBLE DIAMOND DRIVER!

Old 11-10-2011, 08:26 AM   #224
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minniefamily13 View Post
I'm glad to join this great thread! We are planning our 1st trip driving down in April 2012. We have only been to Disney once (in 2009) but we flew down.

We are excited to drive this time. Anyone out there from Michigan, have advice on driving down I 75?

We are planning to leave on a Sunday around 5:00 am and try to drive as far as possible but at least 12-14 hours. Any advice on where to stop for the night? It will be me, DH, DD8 and DD6.
Glad to see you decided to join us over here. I know someone will have answers for you.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:30 AM   #225
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2maggie View Post
Plus, isn't it part of the fun? Who doesn't love a good road trip?
We drive because dh refuses to fly. I am not a good road-tripper. I have to admit that I don't trust dh to be as alert as I think he needs to be nor do I trust the others on the road around us, I'm constantly watching. I am a small-town girl that likes country roads. I would love to enjoy the trip but I just don't.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: