Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 10:53 AM   #196
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyholic View Post
We are planning on leaving on New Years Eve this year to drive down. I'm hoping the weather is as good as 2004-2005 or at least not bad so we have a reasonable drive down & back. Wish us luck. I haven't booked anything yet, cause I want to see how November & most of December pan out.
A New Year's Eve drive has that built-in factor of probably more than usual DWI/DUI drivers in the early morning hours of the new year. Take care.

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (40 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk
Old 11-08-2011, 11:22 AM   #197
patclairesmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
Question for those who make a one-night stayover in Savannah: If you are not doing anything other than securing a room for an overnight sleep on the way to WDW, why are you stopping in Savannah? Doesn't it add about a hour to your total drive? Wouldn't it be better to reserve a hotel/motel room a few hundred yards off an I-95 exit? Savanah's a great place to spend some time in but it appears to be a bit off the path when considering time.

Please advise. [We're actually planning an extended stay in Savannah.]

All the best.
I think when people are saying they are stopping in Savannah they mean right off of I95, not going into the city. There are tons of hotels on I95 that are in "Savannah".

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-08-2011, 11:34 AM   #198
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
All Decembers are not created equal in Lake Buena Vista and early December is a bit warmer that late December.

During our Dec. 5-11, 2011 visit it was shorts every day for me, even a short sleeve shirt one day. Most of the time it was a long sleeve shirt or a light pullover during the day, but we needed jackets or light coats at night. And one night during MVMCP we needed multiple layers. But it seeemed to be the appropriate clothing once the "snow" starting fall on Main Street!

During the drive down, the temperatures increased. And at each stop we could sense approaching Florida.

All the best.
We were there last year Dec 4-11 and it was brutal! I guess you're anticipating something warmer this year But seriously, when were you there in December? We froze all last year at Christmastime, based on the photo of DVCZerfs and me - we are all bundled up as much as could be, I think I have three sweatshirts on at the time! We had to leave the Candlelight Processional after 15 minutes because we couldn't stand the cold and wind.

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
Old 11-08-2011, 11:36 AM   #199
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patclairesmom View Post
I think when people are saying they are stopping in Savannah they mean right off of I95, not going into the city. There are tons of hotels on I95 that are in "Savannah".
It's more expensive around the Savannah exit, though. Depends on what you need to feel comfortable.

The good thing about Savannah is that we can take the girl scout troop for a pilgrimage to the birthplace of Scouts, then Disney World is just a few hours away!! Convenient!

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
Old 11-08-2011, 11:48 AM   #200
hsembrick
DIS Veteran

Well, I am taking the plunge and joining this thread! We will be making our second driving journey to the World this December! I think we have finally decided to that we are going to leave around 3 am on December 9 and drive straight through from Bryan/College Station TX. Joining me on this adventure will be my mom, my dad, DD(9), DS(11) and DD(5). I honestly can not wait to get this roadtrip started!!

Any suggestions on how to keep the car as clutter free as possible? We are driving my Expedition and are planning on having all the luggage in a roof rack bag. There is not much room behind the third row so it will consist of an umbrella stroller, and food that we are carrying down for our family suite along with any thing else we can cram back there!!

So looking forward to reading this thread and see how all you "professional" road trippers handle the drives!

* 2006 - AKL * 2007 - Off site * 2008 - OKW * 2009 - ASMo
* 2010 - WL * 2011 - POP * Dec 2011 - ASMu

Old 11-08-2011, 12:10 PM   #201
mom2maggie
DIS Veteran

I didn't think I could join this thread, but I just mapped it out, and between my driveway and our resort at Coronado Springs it is EXACTLY 1,000 miles. So I guess that means our round trip drive will be EXACTLY 2,000 miles.

This will be our 3rd drive down from central Indiana - 2009, 2010, and now 2012!

Me DH DD8 DD4
Old 11-08-2011, 12:34 PM   #202
Disneyholic
Official Disneyholic! CM Wannabe! I'll Never Grow Up!

Quote:
A New Year's Eve drive has that built-in factor of probably more than usual DWI/DUI drivers in the early morning hours of the new year. Take care.

All the best.
When we drove down New Years Eve 2004-2005, we did the turnpike to 95 and straight through to Orlando. We left at around 1 am on January 1 and after getting on the turnpike we saw only 2 other cars and no tractor trailers till we hit Georgia in the morning and even then it wasn't that busy. I think that was our fastest time to Georgia ever. Hopefully this trip will be as smooth although we will hopefully be leaving a little earlier this time.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:42 PM   #203
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2maggie View Post
I didn't think I could join this thread, but I just mapped it out, and between my driveway and our resort at Coronado Springs it is EXACTLY 1,000 miles. So I guess that means our round trip drive will be EXACTLY 2,000 miles.

This will be our 3rd drive down from central Indiana - 2009, 2010, and now 2012!
add in bathroom breaks and gas stops and you'll be over 2000.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:38 PM   #204
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyholic View Post
When we drove down New Years Eve 2004-2005, we did the turnpike to 95 and straight through to Orlando. We left at around 1 am on January 1 and after getting on the turnpike we saw only 2 other cars and no tractor trailers till we hit Georgia in the morning and even then it wasn't that busy. I think that was our fastest time to Georgia ever. Hopefully this trip will be as smooth although we will hopefully be leaving a little earlier this time.
An interesting observation, to be sure!

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (40 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk
Old 11-08-2011, 08:12 PM   #205
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadoc View Post
We were there last year Dec 4-11 and it was brutal! I guess you're anticipating something warmer this year But seriously, when were you there in December? We froze all last year at Christmastime, based on the photo of DVCZerfs and me - we are all bundled up as much as could be, I think I have three sweatshirts on at the time! We had to leave the Candlelight Processional after 15 minutes because we couldn't stand the cold and wind.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:11 AM   #206
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadoc View Post

Just checking our notes from that trip: the mornings were the coldest: Orlando tied its low temp for Dec. 6 with 38-degrees [1981]. And Orlando's low temp on Dec. 8 was 30-degrees. On Dec. 9 it reached a high of 63-degrees. But the days were nice and, after all, Lake Buena Vista is much farther south than Orlando!

All the best.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:24 AM   #207
hsembrick
DIS Veteran

Has anyone ever used a receiver hitch cargo carrier/basket for your luggage? We are thinking about packing our stuff in rubbermaid tubs and using a cargo carrier but just wanted to see if anyone has any experience with it. TIA

Old 11-09-2011, 10:54 AM   #208
pmdeve
DIS Veteran

We plan on staying one night at POFQ before we check into the BC for our December trip. Would you empty all of your luggage, or leave it in the car until you move to the next hotel?

I know that you can have the luggage transferred for us but it we probably won't get to POFQ until 7 or 8 Pm and it seems easier to just leave it in the car and bring it with us. What do you do?
Old 11-09-2011, 11:03 AM   #209
hsembrick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmdeve View Post
We plan on staying one night at POFQ before we check into the BC for our December trip. Would you empty all of your luggage, or leave it in the car until you move to the next hotel?

I know that you can have the luggage transferred for us but it we probably won't get to POFQ until 7 or 8 Pm and it seems easier to just leave it in the car and bring it with us. What do you do?
We are planning on doing the same thing but different hotels and are just going to pack on over night bag with pj's, toiletries and clothes for the next day. We probably won't arrive at our resort til around 8pm and it will just be easier to grab one bag then to try and unload everything that evening.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:56 PM   #210
Glenn&Sharon
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsembrick View Post
Has anyone ever used a receiver hitch cargo carrier/basket for your luggage? We are thinking about packing our stuff in rubbermaid tubs and using a cargo carrier but just wanted to see if anyone has any experience with it. TIA
We use one on the back of our motor home. It works for us.
We did have one stolen once, while we were napping at a rest stop in WI. Now we have a locking receiver pin.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: