Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  


Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-03-2012, 03:06 PM   #2041
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran
 
pwdebbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: between Chambersburg and Gettysburg, PA
Posts: 3,054

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyfigment View Post
Thanks. We usually go 81-66-17-15-95 so fingers crossed there is no snow.
I'm trying to follow that route on a map and I'm just not seeing it. We live near 15 and have taken 15 to 17 when going to Williamsburg which puts us on 95 for a bit. I have considered that route to get to 95 for the next trip instead of 81. Just not sure of the timing, 15 seems like it would add some time to the trip because of all the towns we go through. But you say you pick up 95 from 15, so that must be farther south. I lose 15 in Durham. 'Splain it to me, Luuucy.
pwdebbie is offline  
Old 12-03-2012, 03:12 PM   #2042
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran
 
pwdebbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: between Chambersburg and Gettysburg, PA
Posts: 3,054

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyfigment View Post
Another question. Do you usually book a road hotel in advance or just stop when you get tired
We've driven three times and never made reservations. On the last trip I took someone's hint about using the magazines at rest stops for cheaper room rates and that worked out great for us. When one place said they had no more rooms at that rate, I looked at dh and said, "Well, we'll just go over to that hotel (pointing out the door) and see if they have any rooms at this advertised rate." Voila, they suddenly were able to find us a room at the rate in the magazine.
pwdebbie is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-03-2012, 04:01 PM   #2043
Jakesmom504
DIS Veteran
 
Jakesmom504's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 857

Quote:
Originally Posted by patclairesmom View Post
We made great time driving today. What a difference in traffic compared to going over Easter week. We left our home at 6am and picked up my son's friend. Got on the parkway about 6:17. Stopped right before the turnpike on 195 (Great Adventures exit) and had a quick breakfast at McDonald's. Despite those 2 setbacks we made it to Santee at @ 5:15pm.
Wow that is great time! I haven't been on here in a few days but curious as to how the rest of your drive went!
__________________
Me: DH DS8

POP...Dec 2012 POP...Sept 2008 Jake's First Trip!
POR...Dec 2000 Honeymoon! CBR...July 1991 OFFSITE...Aug 1985 POLY...July 1982...my first Disney trip!
Jakesmom504 is offline  
Old 12-03-2012, 07:46 PM   #2044
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran
 
dvczerfs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lehigh Valley Pa.
Posts: 9,467

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
I'm trying to follow that route on a map and I'm just not seeing it. We live near 15 and have taken 15 to 17 when going to Williamsburg which puts us on 95 for a bit. I have considered that route to get to 95 for the next trip instead of 81. Just not sure of the timing, 15 seems like it would add some time to the trip because of all the towns we go through. But you say you pick up 95 from 15, so that must be farther south. I lose 15 in Durham. 'Splain it to me, Luuucy.
LUUUUUCY, IM HOOOOOME!!!!

hello everyone!!! its been some time since i have been on the boards. welcome new comers to the thread.
alot has been going on. tammy (dw) new york city office was flooded out by sandy. (they didnt name it water street for nothing) they are going to be out of that building till summer as of now.
we are busy at work.
briana (dd19) is sporting a heart monitor. her heart races and they are having a hard time finding what the problem is. she is going in for two types of stress test.
the roof is back on the house.
my older brother (59) had a knee replaced today. doing well
my oldsest brothers wife is having a hard time. (needs some prayers)
and last but not least..........................







tammy called me last tuesday on her way home from work crying. she got a 240lb 7 pointer!!!!!
this is her dvc cruiser. she had it since new in 2001 and loved this car. she would rather drive this then her 2012 mercedes glk350. today, the insurance company totaled it. shes not happy.

so, what has everyone else been doing???
__________________
Driven 1100 miles each way, each year at least once a year since 1973. Started staying on property in 1987. Joined DVC in 1999. 41 years, 59 trips, 430 days and still counting!!!!

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!
2000+ MILE ROUND TRIP DRIVING THREAD.. DOUBLE DIAMOND DRIVER!

dvczerfs is offline  
Old 12-03-2012, 08:19 PM   #2045
NJRRK
DIS Veteran
 
NJRRK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Garfield, NJ
Posts: 2,423

On the brighter side - venison all winter!
__________________
"Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving!"- Mame Dennis

4/76 - offsite, 4/77 - CR, 4/78 - CR, 4/79 - FW Trailer, 5/80 - CR, 5/82 - Disney Inn, 12/82 - FW Trailer, 5/83 - DL California, 12/83 - CR, 9/84 - CR, 1/85 - CR, 3/88 - Disney Village suites (later Disney Institute, where SSR is now), 8/96 - DxL (POR), 8/07 - CR, 10/08 - CR Atrium
NJRRK is offline  
Old 12-03-2012, 09:49 PM   #2046
goofyfigment
DIS Veteran
 
goofyfigment's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,154

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie

I'm trying to follow that route on a map and I'm just not seeing it. We live near 15 and have taken 15 to 17 when going to Williamsburg which puts us on 95 for a bit. I have considered that route to get to 95 for the next trip instead of 81. Just not sure of the timing, 15 seems like it would add some time to the trip because of all the towns we go through. But you say you pick up 95 from 15, so that must be farther south. I lose 15 in Durham. 'Splain it to me, Luuucy.
We take 81 to 66 to 17 to 15. We get on 95 i believe in fredericksburg va. Ill double check in the morning and let you know for sure.
__________________
1984 First Visit Off Site 1987 Off Site 1996 All Star Sports 1997 Howard Johnson Enchantedland 1998 The Spas @ Resort World 2001 Westgate Towers and HRH 2007 Sheraton Vistana Villages and HRH 2008 Parkway International and RPR 2009 All Star Sports 2010 Westgate Vacation Villas 2011 Club Seville 2011 All Star Sports 2012 Sheraton Vistana Resort and Windsor Hills 2012 Westgate Leisure Resort and POP 2013 Westgate Vacation Villas 2013 Birthday trip Royal Pacific 2013 Portofino Bay 2013 POP 2013 All Star Movies 2014 Wilderness Lodge Villas 2014 Vacation Villas At Fantasyworld2014 Boardwalk Villas
goofyfigment is offline  
Old 12-04-2012, 12:46 AM   #2047
cruisingkat
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,460

Leaving tomorrow for our 5th drive to Disney this year. Suitcases are packed and car partially loaded. Spent part of the evening watchiing our granddaughter's pom routine at her junior high basketball game - we missed all the games in Nov due to our Disney and Thanksgiving with the family in TX- so glad we were able to see her perform at least once.
Got tickets for MVMCP on the 6th and Candlelight Processional package on the 7th. Had a hard time getting the CP package - we wanted the 8:15 show and it kept showing no availability. Booked the 6:45 show, but kept checking. Three days ago, they showed no availability for the 8:15 when I checked at 9am and 3pm. Went back in around 7pm, and all of a sudden there were multiple openings for the 8:15 performance at 8 different locations - got one of our choices for restaurant. But I still keep checking for an opening at our top choice - next morning - no availability but at 7pm availability at the same 8 restaurants. Same results yesterday. I wonder if something is haywire with the reservation system.
cruisingkat is offline  
Old 12-04-2012, 06:09 AM   #2048
LadyBeBop
DIS Veteran
 
LadyBeBop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northern Kentucky, right outside Cincinnati
Posts: 1,462

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
and last but not least..........................
tammy called me last tuesday on her way home from work crying. she got a 240lb 7 pointer!!!!!
this is her dvc cruiser. she had it since new in 2001 and loved this car. she would rather drive this then her 2012 mercedes glk350. today, the insurance company totaled it. shes not happy.
Looks familiar. Day after Halloween, my DH hit a deer as well. Smashed in the passenger's side. Looks like Tammy struck the deer on the drivers side. Was she hurt?

Deer caused $5,000 damage to our car. At least, we still had collusion on our car, so we only had to pay the $500 deductable. It's a 3 1/2 year old car, so it's worth more than $5K. I'm assuming, due to the age of your car (11 years old), that it wasn't worth $5K; that's why it was totaled.



Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRRK View Post
On the brighter side - venison all winter!
I wish. The deer limped off into the woods
__________________
Next trip: When my next grandchild turns five. Probably around the turn of the next decade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
What? 2019 or 2020? Say it ain't so!

You must "sneak in a day" next year. That's an order!
LadyBeBop is offline  
Old 12-04-2012, 06:24 AM   #2049
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran
 
pwdebbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: between Chambersburg and Gettysburg, PA
Posts: 3,054

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRRK View Post
On the brighter side - venison all winter!
Unless she took the deer, no venison. And a deer that hits a car often doesn't have a lot of good meat left. BTDT. Then again, the deer might have been able to keep on going. BTDT too! (ETA -- Just saw that Dave said the deer limped off into the woods.) Almost had me three deer last week. I came around a corner in Shippensburg, PA, in town, a block off of Rt. 11, and there were three deer in my headlights. Hit the brakes quick and avoided them.

Dave, I'm sorry Tammy has had this big disappointment. Not a good month for her. Hopefully she'll get a car that she likes even better. Where is she working at this time? Still in NYC or is the office set up somewhere else?

I hope everything is ok with your daughter. Perhaps it is the stress of college life? (I thought you said before that she is a freshman.) My sister has worn the Holter Monitor a few times but they never seem to catch whatever it is she says she is experiencing -- and my sister is a cardiac care nurse, so she knows what she is talking about.

Yay for your roof being on, the work being busy, and your brother's surgery going well. Praying for your sil.

Keep us updated!
pwdebbie is offline  
Old 12-04-2012, 06:26 AM   #2050
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran
 
pwdebbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: between Chambersburg and Gettysburg, PA
Posts: 3,054

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisingkat View Post
Got tickets for MVMCP on the 6th and Candlelight Processional package on the 7th. Had a hard time getting the CP package - we wanted the 8:15 show and it kept showing no availability. Booked the 6:45 show, but kept checking. Three days ago, they showed no availability for the 8:15 when I checked at 9am and 3pm. Went back in around 7pm, and all of a sudden there were multiple openings for the 8:15 performance at 8 different locations - got one of our choices for restaurant. But I still keep checking for an opening at our top choice - next morning - no availability but at 7pm availability at the same 8 restaurants. Same results yesterday. I wonder if something is haywire with the reservation system.
There was an announcement that the reservation system would be down from Dec. 3 - 5.
pwdebbie is offline  
Old 12-04-2012, 09:56 AM   #2051
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran
 
dvczerfs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lehigh Valley Pa.
Posts: 9,467

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBeBop View Post
Looks familiar. Day after Halloween, my DH hit a deer as well. Smashed in the passenger's side. Looks like Tammy struck the deer on the drivers side. Was she hurt?

Deer caused $5,000 damage to our car. At least, we still had collusion on our car, so we only had to pay the $500 deductable. It's a 3 1/2 year old car, so it's worth more than $5K. I'm assuming, due to the age of your car (11 years old), that it wasn't worth $5K; that's why it was totaled.





I wish. The deer limped off into the woods
she was fine. shoock up, but fine. i looked up the blue book value and it was $3200.00 in excellent condition. i didnt carry collision on the car but i did have comprehensive. the comprehensive part kicked in, no deductable and they gave me $5500 for the "car". i think we are going to look for something new. the price of good used cars is what you can buy a new car for. i dont need anything fancy, we have the glk which is new. i just need something with four wheels and a good warrenty.
__________________
Driven 1100 miles each way, each year at least once a year since 1973. Started staying on property in 1987. Joined DVC in 1999. 41 years, 59 trips, 430 days and still counting!!!!

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!
2000+ MILE ROUND TRIP DRIVING THREAD.. DOUBLE DIAMOND DRIVER!

dvczerfs is offline  
Old 12-04-2012, 09:59 AM   #2052
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran
 
dvczerfs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lehigh Valley Pa.
Posts: 9,467

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyfigment View Post
We take 81 to 66 to 17 to 15. We get on 95 i believe in fredericksburg va. Ill double check in the morning and let you know for sure.
we take 81/66/17/95 alot. 17 hit 95 in fredricksburg va (exit 133) i think 15 and 17 run into each other and become the same road in spots.
__________________
Driven 1100 miles each way, each year at least once a year since 1973. Started staying on property in 1987. Joined DVC in 1999. 41 years, 59 trips, 430 days and still counting!!!!

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!
2000+ MILE ROUND TRIP DRIVING THREAD.. DOUBLE DIAMOND DRIVER!

dvczerfs is offline  
Old 12-04-2012, 10:08 AM   #2053
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran
 
dvczerfs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lehigh Valley Pa.
Posts: 9,467

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
Unless she took the deer, no venison. And a deer that hits a car often doesn't have a lot of good meat left. BTDT. Then again, the deer might have been able to keep on going. BTDT too! (ETA -- Just saw that Dave said the deer limped off into the woods.) Almost had me three deer last week. I came around a corner in Shippensburg, PA, in town, a block off of Rt. 11, and there were three deer in my headlights. Hit the brakes quick and avoided them.

Dave, I'm sorry Tammy has had this big disappointment. Not a good month for her. Hopefully she'll get a car that she likes even better. Where is she working at this time? Still in NYC or is the office set up somewhere else?

I hope everything is ok with your daughter. Perhaps it is the stress of college life? (I thought you said before that she is a freshman.) My sister has worn the Holter Monitor a few times but they never seem to catch whatever it is she says she is experiencing -- and my sister is a cardiac care nurse, so she knows what she is talking about.

Yay for your roof being on, the work being busy, and your brother's surgery going well. Praying for your sil.

Keep us updated!
didnt keep the deer. the cops were fighting over it. tammy just clip the rear end of it and from what they tell me it didnt bleed that much. im not a hunter or even like the stuff. beef and pork for me, sometimes if the planets line up i eat chicken.
tammy works in the bethlehem office. looks like they are renting a building in jersey city till they can get ny back and running.
all of brianas test are neg. we think its stress. she tends to fill up her days for some reason. she is a full time sophmore, works 25-29 hrs per week at panera and teaches 3 tap classes on monday nights. she is giving upo the tap classes so we will see how things go. the kid has a 3.8 gpa so i cant use that as a point.
__________________
Driven 1100 miles each way, each year at least once a year since 1973. Started staying on property in 1987. Joined DVC in 1999. 41 years, 59 trips, 430 days and still counting!!!!

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!
2000+ MILE ROUND TRIP DRIVING THREAD.. DOUBLE DIAMOND DRIVER!

dvczerfs is offline  
Old 12-04-2012, 12:28 PM   #2054
Lizzybean
Mouseketeer
 
Lizzybean's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Chicagoland
Posts: 421

Curious about who drives from the Midwest during the winter months...we are making our first drive down during the off season the last week of January from Chicago. I'm a little concerned about the weather--snow in Indiana, sleet in KY or even TN. What have your experiences been?
__________________


June 2014: Beach Club!
Jan/Feb 2013 at POR
July/August 2012: Fort Wilderness FUN
July 2011: Offsite
90s: Offsite



I'm addicted to the pixie dust!


ME DH DS15 DD10 DD6
Lizzybean is offline  
Old 12-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #2055
GusGus77
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 547

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzybean
Curious about who drives from the Midwest during the winter months...we are making our first drive down during the off season the last week of January from Chicago. I'm a little concerned about the weather--snow in Indiana, sleet in KY or even TN. What have your experiences been?
We drove from bloomington last December without incident. But it was a pretty mild winter. I think just watch the forecast and plan to be a little flexible in case of snow anywhere on the route.
GusGus77 is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.



You Rated this Thread: