Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 08:52 AM   #1951
amcnj
DIS Veteran

Only 9 miles west of AC where apparently Sandy made landfall. Experienced the "eye" phenomenon, where it became calm and no rain for a while and then the winds actually got worse than they had been and were going northward instead of south as they had been previously. We had suffered through that derecho on June 30, and I guess that took out most of the trees prone to fall, so we fortunately did not lose power, just cable and phone. Some of the scenes from the barrier islands here in NJ, especially the Seaside Heights roller coaster now in the ocean are eerie. Hope everyone else made it through OK, and that you find things fine at home BC.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:37 PM   #1952
Allieran3
Live in my magical Disney bubble with Grumpy and a teenager!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveysbydesign
Got back Mon. night around 7:30p.m. from our drive We were planning to take the Autotrain home this time to try it out. Howevere at 1:30pm. on Sun, as we were checking in Amtrak got word all th erailways were closed by CSX. We hit the road immediately upon findng out! So by 2p.m. on Sun. were were on the road to adventure trying to outdrive Sandy to get to PA!!!

The drive on Sun. was uneventful other then being rushed and stressed trying to get as far north as possible as we were worried about snow in the mountains. Part of I95 was already closed north of NC so we had to go 95-26-77-81-78. That is the way we typically go anyway but we usually leave early in the morning and we felt rushed as we were concerned about snow. We only made it to Rock Hill NC Sun. night as we were exhausted and hadn't hit the road til 2p.m. We atayed athte The Country Inn & Suites, got an amazing rate of 2 connecting rooms with 2 Q beds for under $150 including taxes.
The 2nd day we had good weather for the 1st 2 hours and the last 9 were dreadful! High winds, rain, snow showers...saw 2 tractor trailers tipped over off the side of the roaud on 81 and 78 once we got to PA as the storm had worsened by then and we were only doing a max. speed of 45mph due to restricions. It was eerie once we hit Hamburg Pa as we were the only car on the road...made it a bit less stressful but still weird.
Thanks for the info about SoftB, and glad you made it home safely )
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-31-2012, 06:10 PM   #1953
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcnj View Post
Only 9 miles west of AC where apparently Sandy made landfall. Experienced the "eye" phenomenon, where it became calm and no rain for a while and then the winds actually got worse than they had been and were going northward instead of south as they had been previously. We had suffered through that derecho on June 30, and I guess that took out most of the trees prone to fall, so we fortunately did not lose power, just cable and phone. Some of the scenes from the barrier islands here in NJ, especially the Seaside Heights roller coaster now in the ocean are eerie. Hope everyone else made it through OK, and that you find things fine at home BC.
We made it home safe and sound, and our house is safe and secure as well. The power returned. Thank God!

The Jersey Shore that existed when we departed fro WDW no longer exists. Our hearts go out to the scores of thousands whose lives and homes have been devastated.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (40 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk
Old 10-31-2012, 07:36 PM   #1954
LadyBeBop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
We made it home safe and sound, and our house is safe and secure as well. The power returned. Thank God!
That is good news.

Quote:
The Jersey Shore that existed when we departed fro WDW no longer exists. Our hearts go out to the scores of thousands whose lives and homes have been devastated.
That is not good news. However, I'm sure the shore will rebuild better than before.

Quote:
What? 2019 or 2020? Say it ain't so!

You must "sneak in a day" next year. That's an order!
Old 11-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #1955
amcnj
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Glad to hear you made out OK there in my former town. Although I am sure the people near the bay may have had problems. Areas north of where Sandy made landfall seem to have borne the brunt of it. Some of the photos of those towns are difficult to accept.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:21 PM   #1956
cruisingkat
DIS Veteran

On our way to FL. Gas prices all over the place. One exit in KY had $3.05, next exit $3.39
Old 11-01-2012, 09:48 PM   #1957
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisingkat View Post
On our way to FL. Gas prices all over the place. One exit in KY had $3.05, next exit $3.39
If you complete your 4th round trip drive to WDW this year, please alert me and I'll amend the all-time record page.

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (40 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk
Old 11-01-2012, 10:47 PM   #1958
thumbalyna
DIS Veteran

51 days til we make our Xmas trip. Ive never driven down at that time of year. Hope the weather cooperates
Past Trips:1981 Off Site -1987 Off Site - 1996 AS Sports - 1997 Howard Johnson Enchanted Land - 1998 Celebrity Resorts - 2001 Westgate Towers and HRH - 2007 Sheraton Vistana and HRH - 2008 Parkway International and RPR - 2009 AS Sports - 2010 Westgate Vacation Villas
Old 11-02-2012, 09:57 AM   #1959
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBeBop View Post
I'm sure the shore will rebuild better than before.
It will rebuild, but so much of the charm comes from the "old time-y" feel of the shore towns. That's what really sad, just like the governor of NJ said, it will be rebuilt but it will never be the same.

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
Old 11-02-2012, 01:46 PM   #1960
BC1836
DIS Veteran

For those veteran drivers who are outside of NJ and metro NY:

Hurricane Sandy has devasted New Jersey and continues to have an increasingly negative impact on the state. For the most part, the established Jersey Shore of homes, businesses and attractions no longer exists. Many roads are damaged and some have disappeared. In addition to the billions of dollars in damage and deaths, electric outages remain pervasive; as a matter of fact, hundreds of thousands are still without power. Approximately 75% of the refineries and gas stations can't pump because they lack electricity. Some gas station lines are over a mile long, and the situation doesn't seem to be improving according to this morning's local news. Certain food items are hard to come by; milk, orange juice, bread and eggs were unavailable in our closest supermarket. Water restrictions (from boiling water to limiting its use) are in effect in parts of the state. Despite the images you see in newspapers, online or on TV, it's much worse. Furthermore, unseasonably colder temperatures and an approaching Nor'easter next week will only add to the widespread pain and suffering. Miraculously, our home was spared...and we have electricity.

All the best.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:12 PM   #1961
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

good evening everyone.
just checking in. it has been a ruff week around here. we lost power monday night around 4pm. the roof came off around 10pm monday night.
we are well and the roof can be put back on. we were in a hotel near allentown from tuesday morning till sat. morning.our power came back on.
we went shopping and refilled our fridge and freezer that we lost.
we had a home cooked meal tonight for a change.
in other news, dd19, briana, auditioned to dance at wdw a few weeks ago in philly. she got an email tuesday afternoon, after we lost our roof and sitting in a hotel, she did not get the part. shes fine....... i took it harder than she did. she said no big deal, she had fun doing it and will try again in 6 months when the auditions start up again.
so, we are some what back to normal.
prayers for the people on the coast. i spent alot of time as kid on long beach island nj. (sea shell motel, beach haven.) sad to see it wiped out like it is. tammy and i got engaged at the sea shell in 1983. the hotel was on the beach and im sure not much of it is left.
ill check in later. have a good week!
Old 11-04-2012, 11:50 PM   #1962
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
good evening everyone.
just checking in. it has been a ruff week around here. we lost power monday night around 4pm. the roof came off around 10pm monday night.
we are well and the roof can be put back on. we were in a hotel near allentown from tuesday morning till sat. morning.our power came back on.
in other news, dd19, briana, auditioned to dance at wdw a few weeks ago in philly. she got an email tuesday afternoon, after we lost our roof and sitting in a hotel, she did not get the part. shes fine....... i took it harder than she did. she said no big deal, she had fun doing it and will try again in 6 months when the auditions start up again.
prayers for the people on the coast. i spent alot of time as kid on long beach island nj. (sea shell motel, beach haven.) sad to see it wiped out like it is. tammy and i got engaged at the sea shell in 1983. the hotel was on the beach and im sure not much of it is left.
We are terribly sorry to hear of your situation. Sandy's devastation has affected millions. May things improve for you as quickly as possible.

All the very best to you and your family.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:42 AM   #1963
nono
DIS Veteran

dvczerfs!

Don't worry about us at the coast. You lost your roof! Hope you get everything sorted out soon, and can get back to normal as quick as possible.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:54 AM   #1964
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Good to hear from you but sorry to know that you are going through stuff because of Sandy. I'm glad you are all safe.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:55 AM   #1965
loveysbydesign
I can pinch a penny so hard you can hear it scream for miles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
good evening everyone.
Sorry to hear about your roof! I'm in Alburtis if you need anything! Hang in there!

May 2006-1st family trip to WDW! Loved Windsor Hills! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$1800
Nov. 13-22 2007-2nd trip to WDW with Baby Hartley #3-it's a boy!!! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$2200
May 2009- 3 nights in a 2 bedroom at SSR and then our 1st Disney cruise on the Magic! Total cost for 2 Cat. 12's -upgraded to Cat. 10's=$2900

June 11-20 2010- Our super cheap, surprising the kids, 1st time driving, celebrating Ryan's 3rd birthday trip! Total cost=$950
Nov.12-22, 2010 Took our in-laws along for their 1st trip ever! Stayed at Indian Creek and had a blast!
Oct.10-15, 2011 Crazy Columbus Crowds(did YES program) & cruised on the Dream Oct. 16-20
Oct. 19-29, 2012 Our trip re-do w/the in-laws, swam w/ the manatees & drove home through Sandy!
June 21-30, 2013 Celebrating our 17th anniversary!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: