Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 07:26 PM   #1846
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbo77 View Post
Guess I make #7....but I'm cheating this time and flying down on Saturday. Already done the drive three times earlier in the year so I figured I could cut myself a break for once. Will be driving down again in Jan/Feb so I hopefully still qualify for the club??
"Seven" with an asterisk! *

The unofficial rule/guideline on this thread is that 2,000+ mile round trip drivers are allowed to fly if their WDW stay is four nights or fewer. But they must have at least one drive during the same year as the flight

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (38 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:58 PM   #1847
Allieran3
Live in my magical Disney bubble with Grumpy and a teenager!!!

We're 50 days out and will be leaving northeast pa on Monday Nov. 26th. What is a good time to leave? We will be taking our time with lots of pit stops and one night in a hotel along the way. Looking to driving about 9-11 hours the first day then stop and get a room overnight, Any suggestions on a good route and where to stop for the night? Any help would be great.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2012, 10:39 PM   #1848
somanykids
Earning My Ears

We leave day after tomorrow!!!!
Old 10-08-2012, 04:32 AM   #1849
DVC-Don
DIS Veteran

Location: Saratoga County, New York and Poinciana (Solivita), Florida in the winters

Leaving in 30 minutes for the 1300 mile ride.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:41 AM   #1850
wuzzy6
Mom to the Fab 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC-Don
Leaving in 30 minutes for the 1300 mile ride.
Have a safe and wonderful trip!

FL Native and habitual day-tripper: since 1971; Apr 2002: PO-R; Mar 2014: CSR ; Apr 2014: WL; May 2014: PO-R and FW-cabin; Aug 2014: YC CL+DxDP; What's next?!
Old 10-08-2012, 07:00 AM   #1851
loveysbydesign
I can pinch a penny so hard you can hear it scream for miles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allieran3 View Post
We're 50 days out and will be leaving northeast pa on Monday Nov. 26th. What is a good time to leave? We will be taking our time with lots of pit stops and one night in a hotel along the way. Looking to driving about 9-11 hours the first day then stop and get a room overnight, Any suggestions on a good route and where to stop for the night? Any help would be great.
We live in NE PA too! Between Allentown and Kutztown. We prefer to split up our days as 10 hours the 1st day and 8 hours the 2nd. We leave by 8 a.m. at the latest, depends on what time the kids get up. They do much better in the car if they've had their "normal" night's sleep the night before
We stop over in Richburg SC as we go 78-81-77-26 and pick up 95 later!
We stay at the Motel 6...it used to be a Microtel Inn so it is mch nicer than what you think of when you think of Motel 6 and I am VERY picky about where we stay
You can get a room with 2 queen beds, or king bed and sleeper sofa and micro/fridge bar suite for $55 a night plus tax. We like it as we have 3 kids and it actually has a windowseat in the room that can be used as a bed for a small child so it sleep all 5 of us...no need to pay for 2 rooms!
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._Carolina.html
Click on the pictures on tripadvisor to see the room layout.
Also there a bunch of places to eat right near the Motel 6: McD's, Bk, KFC, Sunway, Front Porch, Waffle House etc.
Heading out for our next drive in just 11 days

May 2006-1st family trip to WDW! Loved Windsor Hills! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$1800
Nov. 13-22 2007-2nd trip to WDW with Baby Hartley #3-it's a boy!!! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$2200
May 2009- 3 nights in a 2 bedroom at SSR and then our 1st Disney cruise on the Magic! Total cost for 2 Cat. 12's -upgraded to Cat. 10's=$2900

June 11-20 2010- Our super cheap, surprising the kids, 1st time driving, celebrating Ryan's 3rd birthday trip! Total cost=$950
Nov.12-22, 2010 Took our in-laws along for their 1st trip ever! Stayed at Indian Creek and had a blast!
Oct.10-15, 2011 Crazy Columbus Crowds(did YES program) & cruised on the Dream Oct. 16-20
Oct. 19-29, 2012 Our trip re-do w/the in-laws, swam w/ the manatees & drove home through Sandy!
June 21-30, 2013 Celebrating our 17th anniversary!

Last edited by loveysbydesign; 10-08-2012 at 07:59 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:15 AM   #1852
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allieran3 View Post
If it isn't snowing or icy, you can take the inland route the PP mentioned. However, if there is a chance of bad weather through the mountains, then you want to take 95. We've done the inland route twice and 95 once. If we ever do 95 again, we will take 15 south and not cut over to 95 until we are below DC.

On the inland route, dh and I stayed in Orangeburg, SC, St. Matthews exit, the second time and that worked out great. There were a lot of hotels to choose from and little traffic. On that route, you do want to try to get past Charlotte the first day, and maybe even Columbia if you can. Orangeburg is beyond Columbia.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:23 AM   #1853
loveysbydesign
I can pinch a penny so hard you can hear it scream for miles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
If it isn't snowing or icy, you can take the inland route the PP mentioned. However, if there is a chance of bad weather through the mountains, then you want to take 95. We've done the inland route twice and 95 once. If we ever do 95 again, we will take 15 south and not cut over to 95 until we are below DC.

On the inland route, dh and I stayed in Orangeburg, SC, St. Matthews exit, the second time and that worked out great. There were a lot of hotels to choose from and little traffic. On that route, you do want to try to get past Charlotte the first day, and maybe even Columbia if you can. Orangeburg is beyond Columbia.
That's good advice
We stay in Richburg as my kids can make it past Charlotte but timewise they can't make it past Columbia Maybe when they're all older we'll be ok!

May 2006-1st family trip to WDW! Loved Windsor Hills! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$1800
Nov. 13-22 2007-2nd trip to WDW with Baby Hartley #3-it's a boy!!! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$2200
May 2009- 3 nights in a 2 bedroom at SSR and then our 1st Disney cruise on the Magic! Total cost for 2 Cat. 12's -upgraded to Cat. 10's=$2900

June 11-20 2010- Our super cheap, surprising the kids, 1st time driving, celebrating Ryan's 3rd birthday trip! Total cost=$950
Nov.12-22, 2010 Took our in-laws along for their 1st trip ever! Stayed at Indian Creek and had a blast!
Oct.10-15, 2011 Crazy Columbus Crowds(did YES program) & cruised on the Dream Oct. 16-20
Oct. 19-29, 2012 Our trip re-do w/the in-laws, swam w/ the manatees & drove home through Sandy!
June 21-30, 2013 Celebrating our 17th anniversary!
Old 10-08-2012, 07:01 PM   #1854
APB513
Wishing I was back in my Laughing Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyPoly View Post
We drive from the Philly area ... In fact we last drove in August to pick our daughter up from her DCP ... We had a van and still had to ship home 3 boxes of clothes and linens via UPS . Good luck and safe travels!
Thanks. Hopefully we won't have to ship 3 boxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBeBop View Post
Sounds like you're breaking it up 10 hours the first day and 8 hours the second day, with you stopping in Atlanta around 4 pm the first day.

I always say, get just south of Atlanta before stopping, so you won't have to deal with Atlanta traffic the next day. However, it looks like you're leaving early enough the second day, so that morning rush hour won't be a factor. And you'll get into Atlanta just at the beginning of evening rush hour.

Sounds like you have two options.

1) Leave at 6 AM on day one and stop at 4 PM just north of Atlanta (or downtown Atlanta if you want to risk the traffic). However, the second day, I'd leave no later than 6 AM.

2) Leave no later than 5:30 on day one and stop at 4 PM just south of Atlanta. That way, you can leave about 6:30 the next day.

Have you taken breaks into consideration? From Northern KY, it takes us about seven hours to get to Atlanta, including breaks. And I know you're more than three hours north of us.
Thanks for the options. I figure we will stop but not often and not for long.

1970-1980 many trips to DL, 5/1986 (offsite - MK), 12/2001 (offsite & MVMCP), 12/2002 (DLR & Paradise Pier), 9/2006 (Pop & MNSSHP, Disney Magic, AKL ), 11/2007 (Pop & MNSSHP), 12/2007 (DTD & MVMCP), 8/2008 (Loew's Royal Pacific Resort, Pop & Windsor Hills), 5/2009 (Bday Solo Trip - POFQ), 12/2009 (Loew's Portofino Bay & Pop w/FD), 8/2011 (Pop w/FD, Disney Dream & Loew's Portofino Bay), 5/2012 Disney's Travel Agent EP, Bday & Mother's Day AND Kyle starts DCP! - CSR & Contemporary, 12/2012 All Star Sports and Loew's Hard Rock Hotel, 1/2013 DLR - Disney's Travel Agent EP - Paradise Pier and Disneyland Hotel, 10/2013 Loew's Royal Pacific Resort, ASMo, Pop and CSR - Homebased Travel Agent Forum

Angela
Me DS24 DS19

Memberships: D23, Mickey Moms Club and WDW Commando Club (member #113)
Old 10-08-2012, 07:05 PM   #1855
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
Awaiting all-time record holder dvczerf's return (see post 1 on page 1) and his report.

All the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
Has anyone heard from dvczerf? I just nosed around -- he left for WDW on or around Sept. 9. Last post to the DIS was Sept. 26. That seems odd for him. I hope he and his wife are ok.
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymarie View Post
I was just checking in to see what is new, hoping all is fine and just work load. Anyone keep in phone contact?
hello all!!!!! sorry, it has been very busy around here lately. after spending two weeks in wdw, which tammy and i had a great time!!!! we spent alot of time just hanging out this trip. we could be found on many benches. i think im the only person who went to wdw for two weeks, walked about 6 miles per day and gained 10 pounds!! i dont think i missed one meal. we had 14 adrs.
i went on dumbo 5 times this trip. i never rode dumbo that much in my life.
the drives were uneventfull. 16 hours both ways. averaged 23 mpg. not bad for a 2012 mb glk350. just paid off the gas charges last night.
this weekend, my nephew got married in harrisburg pa. (exit72 off of i81) we spent the weekend and had a great time. its not often all my mom and dads kids and grandkids are in one spot at the same time. it was a tuff wedding for all of us. my sister and brother-in-law whos son got married, both had there battles with cancer. sister had breast cancer and bil had limphoma. through the grace of god, they are both still here. we lost a brother in 2000 at the age of 43 to limphoma and our parent in 81 and 84 at the age of 50 and 52 both of cancer. we have grown up with out them but they are always with us. so, planning continues on next years trips which look to be may and september. both at okw in a one bedroom. i design hvac systems and fall is a very busy time of year for me. tammy works for an insurance co and has been going into the home office in nyc alot the last few weeks. looks like she will be going in alot more. changes,changes,changes.
anyway, hope all are fine and safe travels to all!!!!

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!
2000+ MILE ROUND TRIP DRIVING THREAD.. DOUBLE DIAMOND DRIVER!

Old 10-08-2012, 07:20 PM   #1856
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

can anyone tell me why i gained ten pounds???

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!

Old 10-08-2012, 07:25 PM   #1857
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Old 10-08-2012, 07:28 PM   #1858
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

ok, now im hungry!!!! thats just what managed to have its picture taken. most didnt last long at all!!!!

Old 10-08-2012, 07:28 PM   #1859
Disney Vegas Couple
Earning My Ears

Stupid Rain

We left the east end of Toronto this morning at 5:30 am. Peace Bridge into Buffalo at 8 am, Pennsylvania at 9 am, West Virginia at 12:15 pm. Nothing but rain through the mountains so the views were terrible. Virginia at 5 pm and North Carolina at 5:50 pm. Checked into hotel south end of Charlotte at 7:40. 763 miles today and tomorrow head to Daytona for a couple of nights. Onto the Dream Thursday for a 3 night cruise then to CBR for 6 nights. Hopefully weather gets better for the next phase of the drive.

Time to say goodnight to all and fun and safety to all on the road.

DVC Owners - BCV since Oct 2012, VGF since Jun 2013
Oct 2013 BCV; May 2013 Wonder; Oct 2012 Dream, CBR; Jun 2012 POFQ; Sept 2011 CBR
Old 10-08-2012, 07:53 PM   #1860
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
ok, now im hungry!!!! thats just what managed to have its picture taken. most didnt last long at all!!!!
Where did that lovely rare beef come from? Perhaps I need to add another restaurant to our next trip. Looks like you ate a lot of carbs. I need protein and more protein.

Thanks for getting back to us. I truly was starting to worry. I stalked you today and found you posting a whole lot on some other forum. At least I knew you were alive and well.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: