Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 02:36 PM   #1786
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

gas this morning at the hess stations on property are at $3.67 for reg. unleaded.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:04 PM   #1787
loveysbydesign
I can pinch a penny so hard you can hear it scream for miles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
gas this morning at the hess stations on property are at $3.67 for reg. unleaded.
wow that's cheap! It's 3.89 here at the cheapest place and 4.00 at the most expensive

May 2006-1st family trip to WDW! Loved Windsor Hills! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$1800
Nov. 13-22 2007-2nd trip to WDW with Baby Hartley #3-it's a boy!!! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$2200
May 2009- 3 nights in a 2 bedroom at SSR and then our 1st Disney cruise on the Magic! Total cost for 2 Cat. 12's -upgraded to Cat. 10's=$2900

June 11-20 2010- Our super cheap, surprising the kids, 1st time driving, celebrating Ryan's 3rd birthday trip! Total cost=$950
Nov.12-22, 2010 Took our in-laws along for their 1st trip ever! Stayed at Indian Creek and had a blast!
Oct.10-15, 2011 Crazy Columbus Crowds(did YES program) & cruised on the Dream Oct. 16-20
Oct. 19-29, 2012 Our trip re-do w/the in-laws, swam w/ the manatees & drove home through Sandy!
June 21-30, 2013 Celebrating our 17th anniversary!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-21-2012, 03:45 AM   #1788
disneymarie
Its a rumour about the donuts...
Can we play Nancy Drew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
That's good to hear, we will be adding few more miles this trip. Will see my gf that has a shop in winter park, and thinking of Lego land. Cost will be deciding factor. Safe travels!

Still paying $4.00 for midgrade at home.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:23 PM   #1789
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymarie View Post
That's good to hear, we will be adding few more miles this trip. Will see my gf that has a shop in winter park, and thinking of Lego land. Cost will be deciding factor. Safe travels!

$3.81 (regular) at the local Wawa station. Unchanged price for a week.

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (38 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian
Old 09-22-2012, 05:13 PM   #1790
AaronInWI
Mouseketeer

We just returned Thursday night from our first ever Disney road trip from Wisconsin. It was about 2560 miles round trip. I say "about" because we took two different routes - on I-65 through Indiana and Kentucky on the way down. And on I-57 through Illinois on the way home. These are the drive times for the trip down. (I apologize that I didn't keep track on the way home...)

Left home from Wisconsin, about an hour north of Milwaukee, at 3:43 am.
Illinois - 5:04 am
Indiana - 6:30 am
Kentucky - 10:42 am
Tennessee - 2:19 pm
--- Time Zone Change from Central to Eastern ---
Georgia - 5:08 pm
We stopped for the night in Morrow, GA.
We left Morrow, GA hotel at 7:30 am.
--- Numerous stops for pecans, peaches, and lunch at Cracker Barrel ---
Florida - 1:06 pm.

Traffic was great. We only had three short delays on the way down. Once in Kentucky, when we got behind a slow moving military convoy. We ran into some construction around the Titans' stadium in Tennessee. And we hit a brief t-storm in Florida that slowed traffic to a crawl. Otherwise it was smooth sailing. The drive home through Illinois was beautiful, but quite a bit more construction. Overall though, it was a great experience. I'm absolutely, 100% sold on driving. I LOVED it! I honestly can't see myself ever flying there (or just about anywhere else in the Lower-48) again. I was on my own schedule. We didn't have to worry about luggage weight, which is important when buying souvenirs. We got to see parts of the country we'd never get to see flying over it. I'm just sad that it'll be another three years before I get to do it again.

I saw a lion he was standing alone
With a tadpole in a jar
Old 09-22-2012, 09:21 PM   #1791
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronInWI View Post
We just returned Thursday night from our first ever Disney road trip from Wisconsin. It was about 2560 miles round trip. I say "about" because we took two different routes - on I-65 through Indiana and Kentucky on the way down. And on I-57 through Illinois on the way home. These are the drive times for the trip down. (I apologize that I didn't keep track on the way home...)

Left home from Wisconsin, about an hour north of Milwaukee, at 3:43 am.
Illinois - 5:04 am
Indiana - 6:30 am
Kentucky - 10:42 am
Tennessee - 2:19 pm
--- Time Zone Change from Central to Eastern ---
Georgia - 5:08 pm
We stopped for the night in Morrow, GA.
We left Morrow, GA hotel at 7:30 am.
--- Numerous stops for pecans, peaches, and lunch at Cracker Barrel ---
Florida - 1:06 pm.

Traffic was great. We only had three short delays on the way down. Once in Kentucky, when we got behind a slow moving military convoy. We ran into some construction around the Titans' stadium in Tennessee. And we hit a brief t-storm in Florida that slowed traffic to a crawl. Otherwise it was smooth sailing. The drive home through Illinois was beautiful, but quite a bit more construction. Overall though, it was a great experience. I'm absolutely, 100% sold on driving. I LOVED it! I honestly can't see myself ever flying there (or just about anywhere else in the Lower-48) again. I was on my own schedule. We didn't have to worry about luggage weight, which is important when buying souvenirs. We got to see parts of the country we'd never get to see flying over it. I'm just sad that it'll be another three years before I get to do it again.
Thanks for the detailed report!

We're glad you had a "great experience" with your 2,000+ mile round-trip drive.

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (38 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian
Old 09-23-2012, 12:07 AM   #1792
cruisingkat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronInWI View Post
I feel the same way - flew to Disneyland a few weeks ago (DD was running the half marathon there for a Coast to Coast and went there to cheer her on) and hated it. getting toiletries in 3 oz sizes - making sure luggage is the correct size and weight - having to get up early - go through security - take off your shoes and put them back on - wait for boarding - then wait for the Disneyland Express bus (not free like WDW) was really stressful.
Love packing up the car the night before - having plenty of room for tossing in those last minute things that you forget to pack - and the convenience of having our own car at the resort and then as you said, not worrying about luggage size and weight and having plenty of room for souvenirs. Driving is the only way to go!
Old 09-23-2012, 06:39 AM   #1793
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymarie View Post

the price of gas drops .30-.40 per gallon once you hit virginia.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:22 AM   #1794
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisingkat View Post
I feel the same way - flew to Disneyland a few weeks ago (DD was running the half marathon there for a Coast to Coast and went there to cheer her on) and hated it. getting toiletries in 3 oz sizes - making sure luggage is the correct size and weight - having to get up early - go through security - take off your shoes and put them back on - wait for boarding - then wait for the Disneyland Express bus (not free like WDW) was really stressful.
Love packing up the car the night before - having plenty of room for tossing in those last minute things that you forget to pack - and the convenience of having our own car at the resort and then as you said, not worrying about luggage size and weight and having plenty of room for souvenirs. Driving is the only way to go!
We agree with your comments. Of course, that's why this thread was created!

Besides everything you mentioned about flying (and there are other items you could have easily added), there's nothing quite like our last pre-drive activity before we leave from our garage: placing the Mickey Mouse antenna character in place!

Ah, later next month for us....

All the best.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #1795
DisMom1981
DIS Veteran

What is the least amount of time you have stayed in WDW when driving approx 20 hrs to get there?

We are staying 5 nights in WDW + 2 on the way down for short visits and 1 on the way back. I realize our travel time will be as long as our current park hopper pass (thinking of upping to 4 day hopper but with DS 4 and DD 1 I feel like 3 day hopper will be ok....). My parents think we should fly for that amount of time but I feel like the point is just to get away and not as much is the drive worth it for the amount of time going.....

August 2014 Trip Report (In progress) http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3324325

Pre -Trip Report for August 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3215904

July 2012 Disney Fantasy
August 2013 Walt Disney World - Pop Century
Old 09-23-2012, 12:25 PM   #1796
wuzzy6
Mom to the Fab 4

I think it's definitely a matter of personal preference! We are staying 6 nights at WDW plus 2 nights on the road - we have 5 day tickets and will be on the road for 4 days.

FL Native and habitual day-tripper: since 1971; Apr 2002: PO-R; Mar 2014: CSR ; Apr 2014: WL; May 2014: PO-R and FW-cabin; Aug 2014: YC CL+DxDP; What's next?!
Old 09-23-2012, 09:24 PM   #1797
BC1836
DIS Veteran

This thread (now in version III) topped the 100,000+ views mark today.

All the best.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:28 AM   #1798
amcnj
DIS Veteran

Gas prices are finally starting to drop a little by me in southern NJ. They had been around 3.79, and now several are at 3.69. Let's hope it continues and spreads to other states!
Old 09-24-2012, 11:14 AM   #1799
dort
Mouseketeer

wish they would drop where i am (upstate ny), i paid $4.05 yesterday.....ouch
Old 09-24-2012, 03:17 PM   #1800
Valley Twin
Chief Curmudgeon

Coming from Philly. Still high here, but down about $0.02 in the last week. Premium down to $4.14 now

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: