Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 06:59 AM   #1666
BC1836
DIS Veteran

September has arrived! For us, it's next month for our next drive. We can't wait!

As for now, dvczerfs has eight days to go.

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (38 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:17 PM   #1667
miprender
Michelle Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kteesmumma View Post
Ok all you Driving Vets...help a newbie out. I am considering driving for our trip next April from just outside of Worcester, Ma. I expect to do a one night stay somewhere, but want to be able to get to Disney by mid day on our arrival day. Most likely leaving on a Friday. I know BAD IDEA LOL...but what would be the best time of day to leave and what should we expect for a stopping time and place to be able to make it to Disney mid day on Saturday
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMom1981 View Post
Hi! I need some encouragement! I was planning on our first WDW family vacation in April to be a driving situation. We are coming from CT with DH, DS ( will be 4) and DD (will be almost 2). Am I crazy??? I don't want to spend $1000 to fly and I loathe flying anyway. Has anyone done this successfully with small children? We are planning to buy a nice mini van in the next couple months.
Also planning to stay with relatives in MD one night and in NC another night..... Though I was more recently considering bypassing the MD stop. Thoughts?
Well since we have MA & CT going in April.... I figure we should have someone from RI too

We are seriously thinking of driving to WDW for the 1st time. The cost of airfare for April vacation is just too much and the amount that we can save driving is too hard to resist. The longest car ride my family has done was 6hrs in traffic going to Maine. But I think we can do it. So I will be lurking on this page for any tips and information you can give.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-02-2012, 12:28 AM   #1668
DisMom1981
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miprender

Well since we have MA & CT going in April.... I figure we should have someone from RI too

We are seriously thinking of driving to WDW for the 1st time. The cost of airfare for April vacation is just too much and the amount that we can save driving is too hard to resist. The longest car ride my family has done was 6hrs in traffic going to Maine. But I think we can do it. So I will be lurking on this page for any tips and information you can give.
My husband keeps saying we are saving a few hundred by spending thirty grand in a car haha. I finally booked the trip....wish we has a few extra days but I'm a teacher so we have to get back by Saturday or Sunday the latest. I think it will be tough with the kids but we won't know until we try! How old are yours ?

Pre -Trip Report for August 2014 (In progress)
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3215904

July 2012 Disney Fantasy
August 2013 Walt Disney World - Pop Century
Old 09-02-2012, 02:59 AM   #1669
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miprender View Post

why lurk? ask away. theres alot people on here from your area that can answer your questions. which way to go, when to leave, what to watch for.

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!
2000+ MILE ROUND TRIP DRIVING THREAD.. DOUBLE DIAMOND DRIVER!

Old 09-02-2012, 03:00 AM   #1670
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
September has arrived! For us, it's next month for our next drive. We can't wait!

All the best.
cars loaded bc!!!

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!

Old 09-02-2012, 05:40 AM   #1671
miprender
Michelle Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMom1981 View Post
My husband keeps saying we are saving a few hundred by spending thirty grand in a car haha. I finally booked the trip....wish we has a few extra days but I'm a teacher so we have to get back by Saturday or Sunday the latest. I think it will be tough with the kids but we won't know until we try! How old are yours ?
We already have the minivan so at least we are saving there But I did promise the kids some portable DVD players that attach to the back of the seats.

My husband's also a teacher so I think we would leave Florida on Friday to make it home on Saturday or Sunday. My kids are DD9, DS7 & DS4 plus I think we would have my mother with us too. We haven't told her we are thinking of driving though

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
why lurk? ask away. theres alot people on here from your area that can answer your questions. which way to go, when to leave, what to watch for.
Thanks I definitely will.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:41 AM   #1672
magsmum
Mouseketeer

Quote:

I'll join in. Seriously considering driving from MA in Feb. I'd be driving alone with 3 kids and DH would fly down and meet up (his ticket will be paid for by business). "Am I crazy?" is the question running through my mind. I'd leave on a Thursday afternoon and hope to be at the Dolphin by mid-day Saturday. Is this a reasonable plan? I'm most concerned about DC traffic as I think there is no way around it timewise and I am going to get stuck in it!
Old 09-02-2012, 05:46 AM   #1673
miprender
Michelle Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by magsmum View Post
I'll join in. Seriously considering driving from MA in Feb. I'd be driving alone with 3 kids and DH would fly down and meet up (his ticket will be paid for by business). "Am I crazy?" is the question running through my mind. I'd leave on a Thursday afternoon and hope to be at the Dolphin by mid-day Saturday. Is this a reasonable plan? I'm most concerned about DC traffic as I think there is no way around it timewise and I am going to get stuck in it!
It sounds doable though I have never driven down myself yet. That would give you two days with stops. How old are your children?
Old 09-02-2012, 07:44 AM   #1674
magsmum
Mouseketeer

Quote:
It sounds doable though I have never driven down myself yet. That would give you two days with stops. How old are your children?
14, 12, and 6. The 14 year old will be my co-pilot. Generally, they love to travel and I've flown with them alone many times. We've taken them as far as Peru and I took the older two from Cusco to Machu Picchu alone when they were 9 and 11. The six year old is the wild card. She can be very difficult (or very good- it just depends on where she's at) and has a hard time with self-regulation/sleep. My ability to get a decent night sleep is going to be key- she can nap in the car, I can't! I'd love to fly her home with DH, but he's going to be working at a show when I'd need to leave on Friday and he can't deal with the wild card factor while breaking down a show!
Old 09-02-2012, 09:39 AM   #1675
happily single
Left foot first!

Quote:

Welcome fellow RI'er! I've made the trip twice alone with the three kids in April. The first time was an absolute breeze so we decided to do it again the following year. To be honest the cost factor about equalled out.

Rented a car-$141 for 10 days (an absolute freaking awesome deal);

hotel in NC for the night ($100 each way);

GAS (huge expense)

small snacks when we stopped (I did bring lots of drinks and snacks but somewone always wanted something different

Misc. things to keep them occupied on the way down (window markers, coloring books, some arts and crafts (silly me)

I would suggest giving the DVD players to the kids as an X-mas gift! Rent movies are redbox, there are plenty along the trip

We left RI about 3:00 a.m. and drove through to Lumberton,NC which is right on the SC border. Woke up about 6:00 am. and got back on the road-beleive we arrived in Orlando about 2:30p.m. And that was only because I got off EVERY SINGLE EXIT looking for a Dunkin Donuts FYI. You won't find one until FL!

If you have any questions feel free to ask
PS: I highly recomend purchasing the book "DRIVE 95" its full of useful tips and breaks each exit down by what services (Burger King, McDonald's, Dunkin) are at each exit. I bought mine at Borders

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
Old 09-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #1676
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post

All the best.

IT ALL FIT BC!!!!! THE REAR BUMPER ISNT EVEN ON THE GROUND!!!
going from a minivan to a cross over, i may need two ownerlockers.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:36 AM   #1677
SmallWorld71
DIS Veteran

Quote:
If you are crazy, then so am I. I drove by myself from SW Florida to MA with DS13 and DD9. DS13 was my co-pilot and DD9 was in charge of the toll money. They did better than I ever would have imagined. One thing that really helped was the portable DVD player (I got one pretty cheap at BJ's that has 2 separate screens). We also played a lot of "Disney" 10 No's where we would think of something at Disney and you would ask yes or no questions to figure out what it was.

We brought food in the cooler and kept some snacks on hand.

The trip took us 30 hours and we broke it up over 3 days. We could have done it in 2, but we didn't hit the road each day until about 9 am and we did stop at Downtown Disney for about 4 hours as well. We also had nothing but rain from VA to MA which slowed us down. The only traffic we hit was in CT and NY. But, we went by the DC area on Sat. eve.

Even though I'm used to driving in Boston, I did find it very stressful driving in the DC/ Alexandria area and the Baltimore area. I don't think the roads are crazier than Boston, just unknown to me. Plus the weather was atrocious which added to my stress level. From Richmond south was very easy (albeit boring) driving.

We drove the route recommended by AAA which was primarily 95 with a few exceptions. In NY we went over the Tappen Zee instead of going through the city, in NJ we did a combo of the Parkway and the Turnpike and we also took 195 for a while in VA.

After I drove it, I said never again, but I really want to head back to FL in the spring/ summer and the airfare is SO bad. So, I imagine I'll be eating my words.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:40 PM   #1678
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:

My goodness, what all do you take? Did I miss the kitchen sink?
Old 09-02-2012, 12:42 PM   #1679
miprender
Michelle Boo Boo

Quote:
14, 12, and 6. The 14 year old will be my co-pilot. Generally, they love to travel and I've flown with them alone many times. We've taken them as far as Peru and I took the older two from Cusco to Machu Picchu alone when they were 9 and 11. The six year old is the wild card. She can be very difficult (or very good- it just depends on where she's at) and has a hard time with self-regulation/sleep. My ability to get a decent night sleep is going to be key- she can nap in the car, I can't! I'd love to fly her home with DH, but he's going to be working at a show when I'd need to leave on Friday and he can't deal with the wild card factor while breaking down a show!
That's my problem, I can't drive when I am tired so DH will probably do most of the driving but I can't really sleep in the car either. I always afraid to close my eyes incase something happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happily single View Post
Welcome fellow RI'er! I've made the trip twice alone with the three kids in April. The first time was an absolute breeze so we decided to do it again the following year. To be honest the cost factor about equalled out.

Rented a car-$141 for 10 days (an absolute freaking awesome deal);

hotel in NC for the night ($100 each way);

GAS (huge expense)

small snacks when we stopped (I did bring lots of drinks and snacks but somewone always wanted something different

Misc. things to keep them occupied on the way down (window markers, coloring books, some arts and crafts (silly me)

I would suggest giving the DVD players to the kids as an X-mas gift! Rent movies are redbox, there are plenty along the trip

We left RI about 3:00 a.m. and drove through to Lumberton,NC which is right on the SC border. Woke up about 6:00 am. and got back on the road-beleive we arrived in Orlando about 2:30p.m. And that was only because I got off EVERY SINGLE EXIT looking for a Dunkin Donuts FYI. You won't find one until FL!

If you have any questions feel free to ask
PS: I highly recomend purchasing the book "DRIVE 95" its full of useful tips and breaks each exit down by what services (Burger King, McDonald's, Dunkin) are at each exit. I bought mine at Borders
Thanks for the tip on "Drive 95" and how scary no DDs I can't live without my DD coffee so we always bring some to brew in our room when down at Disney.

We live in Warwick so we are not too far from you. Our plan is to hit the road at 2-3am on Friday April 12th. I just can't believe how expensive the airfare will be for April. We have gone in 2009 & 2010 and never paid that much.

What time did you arrive in Lumberton,NC?
Old 09-02-2012, 01:01 PM   #1680
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Very cool photos, dvczerfs!

I thoroughly enjoy packing up our CRV. It signifies that a departure to WDW is only minutes away.

Packing for the two of us: Two large suitcases, three smaller bags and a computer case. Last item in: the cooler with the beverages, and the tote bag with the sandwiches and snacks.

We're thinking of a staying a couple of days in Savannah on the way home. I'll be making a separate post in the future seeking recommendations about what to do, what to see and where to dine in Savannah's historic district.

I haven't been there since working on Glory in 1988.

Until then....

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (38 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: