Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 08:01 PM   #1651
Amirah95
I'm ALLLLLLMOST there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieTink View Post
We are here now. From northern NJ it cost us $193 in gas.
Great! What's the weather like right now?

Proud Disboards.com Member! Park Commando & Roadtripping Family! Mom of 2 Girls! I my Grandboy!
Maleficent/Dr. Facilier/Oogie Boogie/Scar/Yzma Villains Pin Collector & Trader *WDW Planning Nut*
Packing for Kids Roadtrip Menu Stroller Debate Rider Switch Primer NJ Roadtrippers 2,000+ Mile Roadtrippers - II-III-IV
Old 08-29-2012, 09:08 PM   #1652
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
yup, sorry, they made me an offer i just couldnt refuse. i did happen to see it pull into the dealer a few weeks later and there was a "retired aged" women driving it. so i bet it will see some florida time.
i didnt think they would be intrested in it to much because the place only sold audi, porche and mercedes but they gave me a real good deal. i paid less for the mercedes than i paid for the van.
Well then good! You must have caught them at the end of the month

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-30-2012, 01:12 AM   #1653
StayCool
DIS Veteran

We are planning to drive to Disney next August from near Binghamton, NY. I'm figuring it is going to take us about 20 hours to get there. We are hoping to get really close to Florida on the first day so that we don't have to drive long the next day.

My questions are: What time should we leave? I work at night so I don't have a problem driving until the sun comes up. Hubby is the morning person and will take over then.

Next, we have 2 adults and 3 kids going. How difficult will it be to get a room for all of us or should I count on having to get 2 rooms?

Route suggestions? I live near 81. Mapquest has me going on the Penn. turnpike. Yuck. Too narrow for my comfort.

I know I'm being crazy for planning soooo early, but college starts in a week and then no more planning until January!

Thanks for your help!!

Sept/Oct. 2014 - First Disney trip and finished the TOT 10 miler!!! Can't wait to go back.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:42 AM   #1654
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayCool View Post
We are planning to drive to Disney next August from near Binghamton, NY. I'm figuring it is going to take us about 20 hours to get there. We are hoping to get really close to Florida on the first day so that we don't have to drive long the next day.

My questions are: What time should we leave? I work at night so I don't have a problem driving until the sun comes up. Hubby is the morning person and will take over then.

Next, we have 2 adults and 3 kids going. How difficult will it be to get a room for all of us or should I count on having to get 2 rooms?

Route suggestions? I live near 81. Mapquest has me going on the Penn. turnpike. Yuck. Too narrow for my comfort.

I know I'm being crazy for planning soooo early, but college starts in a week and then no more planning until January!

Thanks for your help!!
General rule #1: Try and avoid rush hour traffic areas as much as possible. The greater DC area is particularly brutal, especially when taking the I-95 route.

Allow three hours from the GA/FL border to get to WDW.

Allow five hours from the SC/GA border to get to WDW.

However, you'll have plenty of time to plan your drive if you're not departing for another 12 months.

Hopefully, others can provide suggestions to your other questions.

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (40 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk
Old 08-30-2012, 12:29 PM   #1655
tink_n_pooh
my TP isn't going anywhere. I can start the TP underground, anyone who is interested just let me know
I'm happy my underwear are clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
A number of NJ residents who live in the northwest prefer the inland route, but if you leave at the right time (to avoid all rush hour traffic) I-95 is probably your best route, especially if you are headed to Myrtle Beach.

All the best.
Sounds like we may be skipping Myrtle Beach and opting for a hotel on the way down instead. We are hoping to get close to GA before stopping for the night. DD will be 4 months old so we will need to make pretty frequent stops. If we leave around 4am we will arrive in the DC area around 8am or 9am on Saturday. How bad is traffic at that time on a Saturday morning?
DD (2014)
Old 08-30-2012, 06:25 PM   #1656
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
we will be on the road on tuesday the 11th!!! if you happen to see us, blow the horn and wave!!!! have a good trip!!!

Hey, I could do like the NASCAR fans do and set up a lawn chair overlooking 81 and wave and holler when you go by. (I couldn't believe it the first time I saw all the people lined up along 81 with their lawn chairs and coolers and was told, "Why, they're just waitin' fer the haulers to come through." Really? People sit around for hours just to see the NASCAR haulers?) What time should I expect you through the Chambersburg area?
Old 08-30-2012, 07:29 PM   #1657
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
Hey, I could do like the NASCAR fans do and set up a lawn chair overlooking 81 and wave and holler when you go by. (I couldn't believe it the first time I saw all the people lined up along 81 with their lawn chairs and coolers and was told, "Why, they're just waitin' fer the haulers to come through." Really? People sit around for hours just to see the NASCAR haulers?) What time should I expect you through the Chambersburg area?
3:30am on the 11th.
if they want to see haulers, i get stuck behind them twice a year around here.
so what exit will you be sitting in your lawn chair as i come by?
Old 08-31-2012, 07:53 AM   #1658
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
3:30am on the 11th.
if they want to see haulers, i get stuck behind them twice a year around here.
so what exit will you be sitting in your lawn chair as i come by?
Shoot, I'll be checking out the inside of my eyelids then. But IF I could come, it would be somewhere between Shippensburg and Greencastle. Just start waving east as you go by.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:08 PM   #1659
tink_n_pooh
my TP isn't going anywhere. I can start the TP underground, anyone who is interested just let me know
I'm happy my underwear are clean

Quote:
we will be on the road on tuesday the 11th!!! if you happen to see us, blow the horn and wave!!!! have a good trip!!!

We will have to wait to wave until we see you at WDW. We are checking in to BWV on the 9th
DD (2014)
Old 08-31-2012, 04:44 PM   #1660
monica9
DIS Veteran

We are driving from Fairfield Connecticut area in November. Trying to decide if we should leave on a Friday mid afternoon or night or leave 3 am sat morning. Trying to get to Orlando by noon time on Sunday.
Disney as a child: '82 CR,'84, CR,'85 CR,'87 CR,'88 CR,'89 CR....Disney as an adult: '03 off property, '04 off property, '10 1 day off cruise, '11 CBR (DD first trip!), 2012 WL, 2013 December 2013 BC Hoping for Fall 2015
DH(40) : Me(34) DD(6)
Old 08-31-2012, 05:43 PM   #1661
nono
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica9 View Post
We are driving from Fairfield Connecticut area in November. Trying to decide if we should leave on a Friday mid afternoon or night or leave 3 am sat morning. Trying to get to Orlando by noon time on Sunday.
Fridays just make me twitchy, so my vote is for Sat. early. Get some sleep on Friday!
Old 08-31-2012, 08:24 PM   #1662
DisMom1981
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica9
We are from the same area and trying to decide the same for April. I WANT to leave Friday, but the thought of NY and DC rush hours/travel traffic is not pretty. But I'd like the kids to sleep through a big chunk of the ride so thinking of leaving around 7 or 8 pm maybe???

August 2014 Trip Report (In progress) http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3324325

Pre -Trip Report for August 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3215904

July 2012 Disney Fantasy
August 2013 Walt Disney World - Pop Century
Old 08-31-2012, 09:44 PM   #1663
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
Shoot, I'll be checking out the inside of my eyelids then. But IF I could come, it would be somewhere between Shippensburg and Greencastle. Just start waving east as you go by.
ill blow the horn from harrisburg till i hit the maryland state line.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:45 PM   #1664
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink_n_pooh View Post
We will have to wait to wave until we see you at WDW. We are checking in to BWV on the 9th
Old 08-31-2012, 09:49 PM   #1665
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMom1981 View Post
We are from the same area and trying to decide the same for April. I WANT to leave Friday, but the thought of NY and DC rush hours/travel traffic is not pretty. But I'd like the kids to sleep through a big chunk of the ride so thinking of leaving around 7 or 8 pm maybe???
just remember the kids sleep through a big chunk of it and mom and dad dont. kids are rested and ready to go and mom and dad are ready to sleep. some mom and dads can get a bit cranky without the proper sleep.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: