Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 07:39 AM   #1531
BC1836
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=sharadoc;45793769]Hi.

All the best on your upcoming drive!
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (40 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk
Old 08-13-2012, 08:03 AM   #1532
LadyBeBop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allieran3 View Post
Hey all-

So here our plan but we need some help with a route, hotel, and other things

We are traveling from the Lehigh Valley area of Pa. We will be leaving Sunday Nov 25th @ about 6-7 am (first question is this to later of a start?)
Ouch. You know that's one of the busiest travel days of the year. People will be driving home from the Thanksgiving holidays. I'll be on he roads.

Anyway can you start out on Saturday instead? Traffic is a lot lighter.

Quote:
We want a route that will take us to Atlanta Georgia (third question how long will it take us to get here? Any inexpensive hotel that are nice? And finally how far is WDW from here?)
From Lehigh Valley, PA??? You know that's several hundred miles out of your way? Unless you have friends in Atlanta, or there is a pressing reason why you want to go to Atlanta, I'd wouldn't go. At least, not on this trip.

If you insist, it's about 13 hours from Lehigh Valley without traffic, and going the shortest route (which is not the Chesapake Bridge. And I'd stop south of Atlanta for the night, so you'll avoid Monday morning rush hour.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
What? 2019 or 2020? Say it ain't so!

You must "sneak in a day" next year. That's an order!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-13-2012, 08:31 AM   #1533
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hey all-

We are traveling from the Lehigh Valley area of Pa. We will be leaving Sunday Nov 25th @ about 6-7 am (first question is this to later of a start?)

We would like a route that takes over the Chesapake Bay Bridge (second question is this even a good ideal?)

We want a route that will take us to Atlanta Georgia (third question how long will it take us to get here? Any inexpensive hotel that are nice? And finally how far is WDW from here?)

TIA for the help
Wow, that sounds like a very convoluted route to me. Why go east then west when you can just go south? You are adding on hours and hours of travel time. If you really want to do both, then I would suggest you take one route on the way down (coastal or inland) and the other route on the way back (inland or coastal).
Old 08-13-2012, 09:56 AM   #1534
pattibehan
Mouseketeer

Just filled up the van for our trip tomorrow..gas is 3.79 in Albany NY...hope it goes down as we go south..my husband keeps track of prices...he always asks if anyone on DIS has mentioned how much gas is at the DTD Hess! !

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

Me(57)DH(56)DS(18)DS(17)

2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010(two trips), 2011 (three trips), 2012(three trips) 2013(three trips) 2014 (one down, one to go !)
Old 08-13-2012, 12:03 PM   #1535
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hey all-

We would like a route that takes over the Chesapake Bay Bridge (second question is this even a good ideal?)

TIA for the help
hello, im in nazareth. ive taken the drive a few times. we go a few ways but i tend to use i78/i81/i77/i26/i95/i4 the most. we leave no later than 3am and we arrive at wdw around 7-7:30pm. it takes me 16 -16 1/2 hours. we dont do any sight seeing on the coast. over the years, ive seen all i want sitting on i95 in traffic but if you have time. that 16- 16 1/2 is not stopping for sit down meals. short stops every two-three hours or so for gas and welcoming centers. the only place i tend to hit traffic is i78 and rt100.
have a good trip.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:02 PM   #1536
rotlex
Is it summer yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
hello, im in nazareth. ive taken the drive a few times. we go a few ways but i tend to use i78/i81/i77/i26/i95/i4 the most. we leave no later than 3am and we arrive at wdw around 7-7:30pm. it takes me 16 -16 1/2 hours. we dont do any sight seeing on the coast. over the years, ive seen all i want sitting on i95 in traffic but if you have time. that 16- 16 1/2 is not stopping for sit down meals. short stops every two-three hours or so for gas and welcoming centers. the only place i tend to hit traffic is i78 and rt100.
have a good trip.
Ditto on all that to the original question! (From Whitehall here). We do the same route evey year, well almost, and find it quick, less traffic, toll free etc. etc. Roughly the same timing too, although sometimes an overnight in Georgia, around Kingsland, is needed if the kids are truly going stir crazy!

Getting ready to head out this coming Sunday morning as a matter of fact........

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
- Dr. Seuss

Old 08-13-2012, 03:30 PM   #1537
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattibehan View Post
Just filled up the van for our trip tomorrow..gas is 3.79 in Albany NY...hope it goes down as we go south..my husband keeps track of prices...he always asks if anyone on DIS has mentioned how much gas is at the DTD Hess! !

If I recall correctly, it was $3.59 last week at WDW Hess.

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (40 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk
Old 08-13-2012, 06:02 PM   #1538
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Live Road Report!!

Hey everyone,

First time logging on today, I wanted to catch you all up on the first day:

Left home at 9:15 AM as planned, with Dunkin Donuts in hand
9:55 am Delaware state line, Delaware toll 10:15, $4.00
10:17 am Maryland state line
11:15 Baltimore toll $3.00
12:08 pm Virginia state line
12:35 first rest area stop
Traffic in a couple of stops, slow down to 40, lost about 20 minutes
3:42 North Carolina border
4:25 Dinner stop Highway diner, Rocky Mount NC Delicious!! Will post more info and some pics, real diner, real food, nothing fancy, perfect for us.
5:35 out to gas station, getting 24.8 mpg in a 2005 Grand Caravan, not too loaded, but running front and back A/C
5:40 back on the road to North Savannah, GA, expected arrival time 11 pm

All in all it's been a great day so far. We're relaxed, not "rushed" to get anywhere. DD just finished up a weekend of 4 shows of her summer play so she's exhausted and not cranky and complaining ALL the time, just some of it

Already got our confirm call on our golf cart tomorrow and grocery order. Expect to hit the fort by 1, and MK by 4. Talk to you all soon!

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
Old 08-13-2012, 06:25 PM   #1539
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadoc View Post
Hey everyone,

4:25 Dinner stop Highway diner, Rocky Mount NC Delicious!! Will post more info and some pics, real diner, real food, nothing fancy, perfect for us.
5:35 out to gas station, getting 24.8 mpg in a 2005 Grand Caravan, not too loaded, but running front and back A/C

All in all it's been a great day so far. We're relaxed, not "rushed" to get anywhere. DD just finished up a weekend of 4 shows of her summer play so she's exhausted and not cranky and complaining ALL the time, just some of it

Already got our confirm call on our golf cart tomorrow and grocery order. Expect to hit the fort by 1, and MK by 4. Talk to you all soon!
Cool road info; state border times are essential in any report. Thanks!

Don't forget to pay your respects to Davy Crockett when you get to Fort Wilderness.

All the best.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:50 PM   #1540
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
Cool road info; state border times are essential in any report. Thanks!

Don't forget to pay your respects to Davy Crockett when you get to Fort Wilderness.

All the best.
I will be sure to raise a glass at Crockett's Tavern in his (and your) honor!

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
Old 08-13-2012, 06:59 PM   #1541
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I will be sure to raise a glass at Crockett's Tavern in his (and your) honor!
Thank ya kindly! And don't forget Fess Parker in those toasts [see photo to the left]!

All the best.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #1542
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hey everyone,

Old 08-13-2012, 10:28 PM   #1543
Allieran3
Live in my magical Disney bubble with Grumpy and a teenager!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
have a good trip.
If we want to stop along the way overnight where is a good place to do so?

Well this route take you near South of the Border or Mytle Beach?

Thank you for all the help
Old 08-14-2012, 07:41 AM   #1544
pattibehan
Mouseketeer

[quote=dvczerfs] Quote:

Originally Posted by sharadoc

Hey everyone,

[/quote

Hope you arrive safe and sound...

We left Albany at 705...diet pepsi in hand! !

I will update when I am not driving, weather is foggy and a cool 66

Me(57)DH(56)DS(18)DS(17)

2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010(two trips), 2011 (three trips), 2012(three trips) 2013(three trips) 2014 (one down, one to go !)
Old 08-14-2012, 07:54 AM   #1545
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
If we want to stop along the way overnight where is a good place to do so?

Well this route take you near South of the Border or Mytle Beach?

Thank you for all the help
No. You would need to take I-95 route for that. If you really want to see the ocean, you might want to consider stopping somewhere between St. Augustine and Daytona Beach

If you take the inland route (81-77-26-95), try to get past Charlotte before stopping for the night. We pushed to get to Orangeburg one trip and that was perfect for us. (We can't leave until after church on Sunday, so we lose a good six hours of travel time, so getting to Orangeburg was pretty good for us.)
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: