Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2011, 12:33 PM   #196
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

Merry Almost-Christmas!!

Does everyone have festive celebratory plans? The highlight for us is our annual Christmas Eve Bar Crawl. C'mon, are any of you surprised?
It started last year, when we recruited a few local friends for some daytime drinking on Christmas Eve. We've got a couple more attendees this year, and it should be a lot of fun! What's better than being in a townie bar on Christmas Eve? Not a whole lot!

Trip related-wise, we got our gift for referring Mark to DVC and used that towards paying our dues. We'll also be getting our reward card from our Disney Visa soon and I plan on using that toward my AP. It's not a huge amount, but I'll take it!

Here are the Day 4 Plans for the May trip:

We're starting early at MK, hoping to make rope drop. If you want to see me cry, stand near me at this ceremony. Waterworks, guaranteed.

More MK fun featuring Mark and Joyce, circa 2006:

Mark was very helpful in directing folks to the restroom

Remember my pouty face at Circle of Life? I think Mark did better:

This picture makes it look like I love Small World. While I do enjoy riding it from time to time, I am not sure where this sooper-happy face came from

Mark really likes the Carousel of Progress. I do too, but he really likes it!

This was the same Jasmine I met in World Showcase earlier. Since Aladdin was there, I managed to get Mark in the picture. And he actually interacted! When Mark asked where Abu was, Aladdin and Jasmine started wandering around calling for the monkey. It was really funny!!

Later on, we'll head over to Epcot. Dinner is at San Angel Inn. I had an awesome meal here with Ben on our last trip, but Mark has never eaten at this restaurant. Hope he likes it! Mexico is one of my favorite pavilions.
I the Mariachi Band!

I found this picture, it is stumped me for a while...

But then it came to me: it was a kaki gori. When it melted, we thought it looked like poop. Yup, we're mature

DHS has EMH this night, but I doubt we'll partake. It will be tempting, since this our last full day, but I think relaxing at OKW will win out!
Joyciemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:01 PM   #197
jenny105
DIS Veteran

IASW gives me nightmares. The song drives me nuts, Epic Mickey made the ride creepy, and reading about the children attacking people in the Kingdom Keepers series freaked me out. So yeah, I'm over IASW.

Everything else looks fun!

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Sept 2015 ASMu ~ August 2013 GF ~ Oct 2012 AKL ~ April 2011 DL Paradise Pier ~ Oct 2010 POP ~ Sept 2009 WL/DCL/BCV ~ Nov 2008 RPR Universal ~ Jan 2008 POP ~ April 2007 POP ~ Jan 2006 POP
jenny105 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-21-2011, 10:13 PM   #198
SOUTHERNtinkerBELLE
DIS Veteran

Haha - your Christmas Eve bar crawl sounds like a blast. I hope Mark enjoys SAI! After our great meal there on the honeymoon it is one of our favorites.
SOUTHERNtinkerBELLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:32 AM   #199
Imagineer5
DIS Veteran

I love your day-by-day plans and how you impart pics from previous trips. Great idea! Sounds like it's going to be a fantastic trip...now I'm going to get all caught up!
Old 12-22-2011, 08:05 AM   #200
Imagineer5
DIS Veteran

Ok all caught up!! Now I understand your day-by-day plans and how you already know the hours! They're for your May trip!! That's sooo awesome that you get to go twice next year - prompting an AP and possibly a TiW card. If I had a TiW card I would NOT miss V&A's as that meal basically pays for the card in the savings you get! I don't think I can convince my DH we *have* to return within a year of our Oct trip though LOL. Oh well...

Have a great New Years pub crawl!! I think those days are behind us LOL. We've done a few first nights though (Boston & Providence) and have enjoyed them. This year we're taking it easy (I'll be about 5 weeks to due date) at a friends house. I've never been big on new years though anyway, christmas is def our holiday!
Old 12-22-2011, 09:53 AM   #201
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny105 View Post
IASW gives me nightmares. The song drives me nuts, Epic Mickey made the ride creepy, and reading about the children attacking people in the Kingdom Keepers series freaked me out. So yeah, I'm over IASW.

Everything else looks fun!
I still have a little nostalgia-factor for IASW, and the fact that there is no wait often means we end up riding it when we are hot at need to sit down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUTHERNtinkerBELLE View Post
Haha - your Christmas Eve bar crawl sounds like a blast. I hope Mark enjoys SAI! After our great meal there on the honeymoon it is one of our favorites.
Ben and I loved our meal at SAI, so I am excited to go back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagineer5 View Post
Ok all caught up!! Now I understand your day-by-day plans and how you already know the hours! They're for your May trip!! That's sooo awesome that you get to go twice next year - prompting an AP and possibly a TiW card. If I had a TiW card I would NOT miss V&A's as that meal basically pays for the card in the savings you get! I don't think I can convince my DH we *have* to return within a year of our Oct trip though LOL. Oh well...

Have a great New Years pub crawl!! I think those days are behind us LOL. We've done a few first nights though (Boston & Providence) and have enjoyed them. This year we're taking it easy (I'll be about 5 weeks to due date) at a friends house. I've never been big on new years though anyway, christmas is def our holiday!
This extra May trip is very exciting! The only down-side is that Ben can't take any more time off work, so he can't go.
I would imagine V&A is a great use of the TIW card! We don't do fine dining well (our recent foray into Boston to eat at Menton had mixed results...), so I think the experience would be wasted on us!

Our bar crawl is Christmas Eve- so the local bars are fairly empty and it's mostly just our friends enjoying time together until we have to go to our respective families.
New Year's is spent at home. We'll have people over here so we don't have to deal with the craziness of going out!

I'm sure you'll have an extra special holiday season, knowing that your little girl will soon be here!
Old 12-22-2011, 11:03 AM   #202
Imagineer5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyciemc View Post
I still have a little nostalgia-factor for IASW, and the fact that there is no wait often means we end up riding it when we are hot at need to sit down!

Ben and I loved our meal at SAI, so I am excited to go back!

This extra May trip is very exciting! The only down-side is that Ben can't take any more time off work, so he can't go.
I would imagine V&A is a great use of the TIW card! We don't do fine dining well (our recent foray into Boston to eat at Menton had mixed results...), so I think the experience would be wasted on us!

Our bar crawl is Christmas Eve- so the local bars are fairly empty and it's mostly just our friends enjoying time together until we have to go to our respective families.
New Year's is spent at home. We'll have people over here so we don't have to deal with the craziness of going out!

I'm sure you'll have an extra special holiday season, knowing that your little girl will soon be here!
Sorry I didn't see you do the bar crawl on christmas eve!! LOL. So much for getting all caught up, I must have really been skimming...

LOL about your trip to Menton. We haven't eaten out much in Boston, as we live closer to Providence. I loveee eating out at fancy places BUT with being such a picky eater I rarely have options. Even vegetarian menus don't excite me as I don't really like veggies that much. LOL. (Yes, my poor DH has to put up with my horrible eating habits, and I do feel pretty bad for him but oh well!).

It sounds like you're going to have a fantastic time in May even w/o Ben - I wish I had a friend who loved disney so much to go with! You're lucky!
Old 12-22-2011, 07:25 PM   #203
klacey1
DIS Veteran

Haha I love that you can tie a bar crawl to any holiday! Our Christmas Eve is spent running around-- brunch in the Bronx with my dad, dinner with my uncle and his family, party/overnight with Zach's parents and extended family. No time for daytime boozing! (Although I make up for that when we get to Zach's parents' place!)
I've seen some very yummy plates at San Angel. Hope your meal is fabulous! Um yup, don't think I've ever been to an MK rope drop at which I DIDN'T bawl!
klacey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:59 PM   #204
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

Joyeux Noel to the both of you!!
ronnmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:22 AM   #205
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

I think I have dd in this same pose. Too funny!

Looks like your plans are really starting to come together. What fun to go with a friend!
annmarieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:11 AM   #206
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Hope you guys had a great Christmas bar crawl!!!

I love tormenting DBF by going on it's a small world!!
Stringbean&Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:24 PM   #207
Nermel9
DIS Veteran

I hope your bar crawl was fun! We used to go to the bar every Christmas when this band we used to see would play, but that stopped a couple of years ago, but it was SO much fun!

Haha...oh man, you're mature just like my friends and I are, taking pictures of the melted kaki gori because it looks like poop...that is so something we would do!

Many family trips offsite~9/08 ASMu~11/09 WL~Disneymoon 5/10 BC~11/10 POR~10/11 WL~12/11 Pop~5/12 BC~11/12 AoA/POR~2/13 AKL/BLT
Nermel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:53 AM   #208
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagineer5 View Post
Sorry I didn't see you do the bar crawl on christmas eve!! LOL. So much for getting all caught up, I must have really been skimming...

LOL about your trip to Menton. We haven't eaten out much in Boston, as we live closer to Providence. I loveee eating out at fancy places BUT with being such a picky eater I rarely have options. Even vegetarian menus don't excite me as I don't really like veggies that much. LOL. (Yes, my poor DH has to put up with my horrible eating habits, and I do feel pretty bad for him but oh well!).

It sounds like you're going to have a fantastic time in May even w/o Ben - I wish I had a friend who loved disney so much to go with! You're lucky!
Ben's family is in N Attleboro and Woonsocket and the friends we are going to WDW with in May live in Pawtucket, so we are in RI fairly often- any places you'd recommend?

I am lucky to have friends that 'get' Disney. I am responsible for Mark, though- I made him tag along on a trip I took years ago with my boyfriend-at-the-time. He became addicted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klacey1 View Post
Haha I love that you can tie a bar crawl to any holiday! Our Christmas Eve is spent running around-- brunch in the Bronx with my dad, dinner with my uncle and his family, party/overnight with Zach's parents and extended family. No time for daytime boozing! (Although I make up for that when we get to Zach's parents' place!)
I've seen some very yummy plates at San Angel. Hope your meal is fabulous! Um yup, don't think I've ever been to an MK rope drop at which I DIDN'T bawl!
Of course we can! Our families are just far enough away that we don't get together on Christmas Eve, but we have friends that live in the same city, so this tradition is perfect! Plus, there's beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnmel View Post
Joyeux Noel to the both of you!!
Thanks, Mel! Hope you and Ron had a wonderful holiday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post

I think I have dd in this same pose. Too funny!

Looks like your plans are really starting to come together. What fun to go with a friend!
Great minds think alike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
Hope you guys had a great Christmas bar crawl!!!

I love tormenting DBF by going on it's a small world!!
We had a blast, thank you!
Hope your holidays were fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9 View Post
I hope your bar crawl was fun! We used to go to the bar every Christmas when this band we used to see would play, but that stopped a couple of years ago, but it was SO much fun!

Haha...oh man, you're mature just like my friends and I are, taking pictures of the melted kaki gori because it looks like poop...that is so something we would do!
Yup, our friends are a troop of kids pretending to be grown-ups. It's pretty great. Glad to hear we're not the only ones!
Old 01-05-2012, 11:33 AM   #209
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

Holy cow, it's 2012!! I cannot believe how quickly time is going by. My past few weeks have been insane, with Christmas and New Year's.
I figure a little life update to cover the past few weeks I've been MIA is in order:

Our Christmas Eve bar crawl was a lot of fun

Before heading out, my friends exchanged gifts... which we've never really done before but without even discussing it, we all bought for each other. And we ended up with some great stuff!
I got a miniature version of the leg lamp from a Christmas Story!

One of our friends got this super-cool pair of sunglasses, which Jake is modeling here.

Side note: Jake is a morbidly obese cat that I am fostering in hopes of getting some of that weight off of him. He's pretty awesome, but can't move very well because he is so big. We're working on it!

Christmas was fairly low-key, and I had to work in the afternoon. Some of my awesome friends came with us and helped walk the dogs, so we were done pretty quickly.

New Year's Eve was a party at our house. Lots of Twilight Zone, beers, and fun! We had a blast! Mark was there, as were Hilde and Sebastian, so there was quite a bit of WDW talk. This all made me super-super excited for both of my upcoming trips!

Now that the holidays are over, though- I am freaking out a bit.
My best friend is getting married in March, and her shower is in 3 weeks at my house Only a tiny portion of people have RSVP'ed, so I have no clue who to expect. And coordinating with the other bridesmaids has been a big pain. They won't answer emails sometimes, and I just have to make decisions and hope for the best. But then I get a call from the bride's sister freaking out because I didn't answer her email immediately (hello, it was New Year's- I was busy!). Drama I am not at all used to!

Then there is our February trip to Puerto Rico. And it seems we finally have a plan, of sorts. At least a house rented. I plan on spending every day at the beach, so that's easy enough.
In preparation for this trip, I realized that I need to seriously start doing something about the weight I've gained in the past few months. I don't fit in a lot of my clothes, so there is no way I will fit in my bathing suits!
Enter P90X! I did the first day yesterday, and I am sore! But in a good way, I think I'll be able to stick with it...

The wedding is in March, and that is the last of the craziness, I hope! By then it will be almost time for WDW in May!

I still don't have a flight, because they are just so expensive! Mark wants to wait till the trip is closer to see if flights go down, but I want it settled. We'll see what happens!

For the big trip in October, the next big event will be in 2 months when we can try to switch our booking to the Boardwalk. Hilde and I were talking and while we'd like switch, she is very excited about staying at Bay Lake Towers if we can't. We also agreed that a split stay would be an option, if that's how the availability works out.

AND.... in other news... I think there will be a 3rd trip squeezed out of the AP I plan on getting! Ben and I tossed around the idea of a trip to St.Lucia next year, and asking our friends to see if anyone would like to go. But then Ben realized that it would make a lot more sense financially to take another WDW trip while I still had the AP, and do a non-Disney trip after that.
Right after we had this talk, Ben immediately sent an email out to our group of friends asking them if they are interested. I guess it's safe to say Ben is officially addicted to WDW.
Because 'normal' people don't plan vacations over a year out (bizarre, I know!), no one is able to commit yet but they seem interested. So we'll see!
Old 01-05-2012, 12:19 PM   #210
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Those are pretty awesome sunglasses! They look great on Jake!

You definitely have some busy months ahead of you! But that'll make your trip come even sooner!!
Stringbean&Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: