Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2011, 05:07 PM   #181
AKL LOVER
Are we there yet??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyciemc View Post
I need some help! I'm sure my very knowledgeable and wonderful readers can assist me...

I've been looking at the Tables in Wonderland card, and it definitely seems to make sense. Most of the places we plan to eat at are part of the program, and 20% is a good savings, especially with 4 adults worth of food and alcohol!
Do any of you have experience with it? Do you recommend it? And what may be a stupid question: is it good for a year?

I'll be getting an AP this spring, so this is the first time I've been eligible for one. Though I did hear that they are going to be making them available to DVC members as well (not sure what the price will be in that case). It just seems too good to be true, so I was hoping to hear from folks that have used it!

Your May plans are really shaping up!

I'm also interested to see what people say about the TIW card because I'm going to get one too. Since I'm doing 2 trips next year, I will also be buying my first ever AP in April. I figured if I'm going to get an AP I might as well take advantage of the TIW card instead of the dining plan. I think we'll save more.

So while I can't offer any advice up yet, I can in April once I come back...which would actually be before you go in May

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUTHERNtinkerBELLE View Post
Day 2 sounds like fun!

We had the Tables in Wonderland card and loved it! It cost us $75 (if I remember correctly) and I think they're actually good for 13 months. Not sure why. It pretty much paid for itself after a couple of meals since dining at Disney is so expensive. I'd say that if you've got two trips planned within the year and you're going to be buying drinks, you can't go wrong with the card. It also adds 18% gratuity automatically, which I liked because it meant I didn't have to figure out the tip! There was only one restaurant that we went to that didn't accept it, and that was Yak&Yeti. I know there are others, but it seems like most of the restaurants do take it now. Oh, and you can use it for yourself and up to 10 guests (or maybe it's 10 people total) so that would be great for your trip in October with your friends.

I'm bummed to hear that Yak and Yeti doesn't take the TIW card. We were planning on eating here again, but I'm wondering if I should take full advantage of the TIW card and eat somewhere else in AK that takes it. But this was one of our favorite meals last trip, so it's hard to pass up!
AKL LOVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:15 PM   #182
smile4stamps
DIS Veteran

Location: Still in CA for work but my home and heart is in Colorado!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKL LOVER View Post
I'm bummed to hear that Yak and Yeti doesn't take the TIW card. We were planning on eating here again, but I'm wondering if I should take full advantage of the TIW card and eat somewhere else in AK that takes it. But this was one of our favorite meals last trip, so it's hard to pass up!
I believe Yak & Yeti offers an AP discount though!
smile4stamps is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-15-2011, 07:24 PM   #183
Nermel9
DIS Veteran

Your Day 2 plans for May look great! I can't believe how many princesses you met! I'm so nervous to talk to them...still!

I considered getting a TiW card for this past trip and my upcoming May or September trip, but I realized, not having the dining plan does not work for us! It's SO hard for us to budget money for food, it's easier to have it all prepaid for. But that's just us. For people good with budgeting, I'm sure it's great! I really wanted to get it, since you get a discount on appetizers and alcohol, but unfortunately, it just wouldn't work for us!

Many family trips offsite~9/08 ASMu~11/09 WL~Disneymoon 5/10 BC~11/10 POR~10/11 WL~12/11 Pop~5/12 BC~11/12 AoA/POR~2/13 AKL/BLT
Nermel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:13 PM   #184
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUTHERNtinkerBELLE View Post
Day 2 sounds like fun!

We had the Tables in Wonderland card and loved it! It cost us $75 (if I remember correctly) and I think they're actually good for 13 months. Not sure why. It pretty much paid for itself after a couple of meals since dining at Disney is so expensive. I'd say that if you've got two trips planned within the year and you're going to be buying drinks, you can't go wrong with the card. It also adds 18% gratuity automatically, which I liked because it meant I didn't have to figure out the tip! There was only one restaurant that we went to that didn't accept it, and that was Yak&Yeti. I know there are others, but it seems like most of the restaurants do take it now. Oh, and you can use it for yourself and up to 10 guests (or maybe it's 10 people total) so that would be great for your trip in October with your friends.
Yak&Yeti isn't on my list of ADRs for May or October, so that works out good. It definitely seems more than worthwhile! Thanks, Courtney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa79 View Post
Oh another trip! I'm a little late but joining in now! I've been in October two years in a row and the weather was fantastic. Hopefully you'll get Boardwalk, you can't beat the location and it's beautiful!
Welcome! This will be my first October trip, and I am sooooo excited! I've been in early Sept a bunch and it is usually HOT. I'm hoping the weather on this trip will be a bit more comfy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smile4stamps View Post
I've been going over whether to get a Dining Plan, TIW or pay OOP. In trying to decide I came across a thread on a different message board where someone created a spreadsheet to determine based on what you would order what is the better deal..

The thread is http://www.mouse*owners.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=49186 (remove the asterisk from the middle!)
That spreadsheet is amazing
I know for sure that we won't be doing a DP, since we spend so much money on alcohol. Which sounds bad. But it's true!
Joyciemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:19 PM   #185
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Your May plans are really shaping up!

I'm also interested to see what people say about the TIW card because I'm going to get one too. Since I'm doing 2 trips next year, I will also be buying my first ever AP in April. I figured if I'm going to get an AP I might as well take advantage of the TIW card instead of the dining plan. I think we'll save more.

So while I can't offer any advice up yet, I can in April once I come back...which would actually be before you go in May
Hellooooo Melissa! You're going back in April?! Too bad our trips don't line up again...
Very excited for you that you also get two trips next year

The TIW just sounds like a great deal- the last time we had the DP, Ben and I spent SO much money on extra TS meals, appetizers and alcohol... Dining Plan just wasn't worth it for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9 View Post
Your Day 2 plans for May look great! I can't believe how many princesses you met! I'm so nervous to talk to them...still!

I considered getting a TiW card for this past trip and my upcoming May or September trip, but I realized, not having the dining plan does not work for us! It's SO hard for us to budget money for food, it's easier to have it all prepaid for. But that's just us. For people good with budgeting, I'm sure it's great! I really wanted to get it, since you get a discount on appetizers and alcohol, but unfortunately, it just wouldn't work for us!
I get all weird and awkward when I interact with the face characters, but once I met Belle with no line, I was on kind of a roll!

Ben and I also have a hard time budgeting money for food. I very much have a 'it's vacation, I am not going to go without' mentality- which makes settling up our room charges a painful experience! But even with the DP, we just ended up paying OOP for anything extra we wanted.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:56 PM   #186
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

Look at my ticker! It's less than 10 months till the October trip! Time is flying by amazingly fast... too fast! I have a very, very busy next few months coming up and not enough time to do it all!

Ben and I just got home from his office holiday party. Since he is the only one in the Boston office (which is actually a room in our house ), the company just pays for us to go out to a nice meal. We went to a super fancy restaurant in Boston called Menton. The food was delicious and the service was great; I was a little out of my element- the highlight being when I dropped a hunk of foie gras down my dress and had to fish it out.
We do not normally eat food like this (or drop that kinda dough on a meal!!), but it was a nice treat.

Thanks to everyone for input on the TIW card! I am definitely going to get one in May, along with a shiny new AP. Yay!

Next up, Day 3 plans!
This morning we will be heading to DHS. I don't know Mark's feelings on TSMM, so there is a chance I may actually have to take part in the ridiculous ritual sprint. But once that is over, we'll have time for the REAL fun:

Doesn't that look like fun? I remember taking that picture, and it was because we were the only people in that part of the park. We spent a while taking bizarre photos.

Looks like Mark decided to get in on the meet n' greets. Must just be the princesses that scare him!

I spent a lot of time on that trip interacting with inanimate objects

We both love ToT, so I am sure we will be spending a lot of time at the Hollywood Tower Hotel!

Lunch is going to be at 50s Prime Time Cafe- another place I wanted to visit again that Ben doesn't mind missing.

In the afternoon, we will probably scoot over to Epcot. On our last trip, Mark made me watch the Circle of Life movie (is that what it's called? The one in the Land with Timon and Pumbaa) and I was not happy:

No big plans for Epcot, just some hanging out on benches eating snacks and making faces:

Going through these pictures makes me very happy to be taking another trip with Mark- he's a lot of fun!
Old 12-16-2011, 04:06 AM   #187
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

That's pretty awesome that Brian's office party is a nice dinner out for you guys! Don't feel bad, whenever we go somewhere nice, I always end up doing SOMETHING ridiculous (knocking over a drink, having the waiter constantly coming over to see if everything is okay just because I keep looking at the decor - am I the ONLY one that this ALWAYS happens too??? It's so awkward..."no, I'm just looking at your funky lamps...I'll just stare at my napkin...")

LOL at your picture from the Circle of Life video! That pretty much looks like EXACTLY the face I'd be making too! (I think that face already comes out for yet another round on that Backlot Tour at DBF's request!)
Stringbean&Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:16 AM   #188
AKL LOVER
Are we there yet??

Quote:
Originally Posted by smile4stamps View Post
I believe Yak & Yeti offers an AP discount though!
Sweet! Thanks for the tip

Quote:
Hellooooo Melissa! You're going back in April?! Too bad our trips don't line up again...
Very excited for you that you also get two trips next year

The TIW just sounds like a great deal- the last time we had the DP, Ben and I spent SO much money on extra TS meals, appetizers and alcohol... Dining Plan just wasn't worth it for us.
I am stoked to have 2 Disney trips planned for next year--April (girls only) and June (family)!

No May trip for us this year which makes me sad. But it's for a good reason...DH and I are going to St. Thomas at the end of April and I couldn't take a week off for that plus another week for Disney in May. So this new trip has eased the pain of putting off our family trip to June.

I am so with you on the alcohol discount. I know that probably makes DH and I sound like a couple of drunks. I think it sounds even worse because we have the kids, so you should not even feel bad at all! But I don't really think that it has much to do with the amount that we drink--it's more about the COST to drink down there. It's just so expensive!! (That reason makes our indulgences sound more acceptable, right?!? ) So, I have ALWAYS wanted to get a TIW card....but I could never justify the extra $$ to get an AP to get the card with only one trip a year. 2 trips next year was the perfect excuse to do this because we will actually be saving $$ by me getting the AP and then we will continue to save $$ with the TIW card.
AKL LOVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 02:07 PM   #189
Tracy161
DIS Veteran

Plans sound great!!! The trip(s) will be here in no time!
Tracy161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:25 AM   #190
jenny105
DIS Veteran

I'm guessing you are not a TSM fan? Day 3 sounds like fun!

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Sept 2015 ASMu ~ August 2013 GF ~ Oct 2012 AKL ~ April 2011 DL Paradise Pier ~ Oct 2010 POP ~ Sept 2009 WL/DCL/BCV ~ Nov 2008 RPR Universal ~ Jan 2008 POP ~ April 2007 POP ~ Jan 2006 POP
jenny105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:58 PM   #191
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
That's pretty awesome that Brian's office party is a nice dinner out for you guys! Don't feel bad, whenever we go somewhere nice, I always end up doing SOMETHING ridiculous (knocking over a drink, having the waiter constantly coming over to see if everything is okay just because I keep looking at the decor - am I the ONLY one that this ALWAYS happens too??? It's so awkward..."no, I'm just looking at your funky lamps...I'll just stare at my napkin...")

LOL at your picture from the Circle of Life video! That pretty much looks like EXACTLY the face I'd be making too! (I think that face already comes out for yet another round on that Backlot Tour at DBF's request!)
Ben's company used to fly me out to California for their party. One year, I flew out just in time for the party, and came back the next morning. I was in CA for less than 24 hours!

I have a similar picture of Mark... when I forced him to watch the Country Bears again

Quote:
I am stoked to have 2 Disney trips planned for next year--April (girls only) and June (family)!

No May trip for us this year which makes me sad. But it's for a good reason...DH and I are going to St. Thomas at the end of April and I couldn't take a week off for that plus another week for Disney in May. So this new trip has eased the pain of putting off our family trip to June.

I am so with you on the alcohol discount. I know that probably makes DH and I sound like a couple of drunks. I think it sounds even worse because we have the kids, so you should not even feel bad at all! But I don't really think that it has much to do with the amount that we drink--it's more about the COST to drink down there. It's just so expensive!! (That reason makes our indulgences sound more acceptable, right?!? ) So, I have ALWAYS wanted to get a TIW card....but I could never justify the extra $$ to get an AP to get the card with only one trip a year. 2 trips next year was the perfect excuse to do this because we will actually be saving $$ by me getting the AP and then we will continue to save $$ with the TIW card.
Have an awesome trip to St. Thomas!! That's an island I haven't been to yet, but if we can stop going to WDW for so many vacations, I'd love to visit there someday!

Hey, trust me- there is no way you drink more than Ben and I... we actually do have something to be embarrassed about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy161 View Post
Plans sound great!!! The trip(s) will be here in no time!
I currently feel like they are both so far away! But I'm very busy with other stuff, so I think time will go by quick...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny105 View Post
I'm guessing you are not a TSM fan? Day 3 sounds like fun!
Nope! I don't hate it, but I don't think it's fantastic. And certainly not worth the hype. It doesn't help that I made us wait 2 hours for it cause I thought it would be worth it and I had heard that the line was fun to look at. It wasn't, and Mr. Potato Head was super repetitive and annoying. Yikes, that was a mini-rant! Sorry about that!
Old 12-20-2011, 10:58 PM   #192
debrapagliasotti
DIS Veteran

Your May trip plans sound great!

And I am totally laughing at the name "Gurgling Suitcase". Sounds like fun!
Old 12-21-2011, 08:56 AM   #193
jenny105
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Nope! I don't hate it, but I don't think it's fantastic. And certainly not worth the hype. It doesn't help that I made us wait 2 hours for it cause I thought it would be worth it and I had heard that the line was fun to look at. It wasn't, and Mr. Potato Head was super repetitive and annoying. Yikes, that was a mini-rant! Sorry about that!
I love TSM but you're right, it's definitely not worth the long wait it has all the time. The game for Wii was on sale for $10 and I bought it. I need to practice!

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Sept 2015 ASMu ~ August 2013 GF ~ Oct 2012 AKL ~ April 2011 DL Paradise Pier ~ Oct 2010 POP ~ Sept 2009 WL/DCL/BCV ~ Nov 2008 RPR Universal ~ Jan 2008 POP ~ April 2007 POP ~ Jan 2006 POP
jenny105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:32 AM   #194
klacey1
DIS Veteran

Hahah you and your snowman boyfriend look very happy together.
I love looking at past trip pictures! It's fun to see how the parks have changed through the years!
klacey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:12 PM   #195
Joyciemc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by debrapagliasotti View Post
Your May trip plans sound great!

And I am totally laughing at the name "Gurgling Suitcase". Sounds like fun!
Thanks! Gurgling Suitcase is a great place! OKW has a completely different feel than other Disney resorts I've been to, realy looking forward to staying longer than 1 night this time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny105 View Post
I love TSM but you're right, it's definitely not worth the long wait it has all the time. The game for Wii was on sale for $10 and I bought it. I need to practice!
Practice is a good idea!! I think if I had been better at the game, maybe I wouldn't have been so annoyed by it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klacey1 View Post
Hahah you and your snowman boyfriend look very happy together.
I love looking at past trip pictures! It's fun to see how the parks have changed through the years!
My snowman boyfriend is the best!
I know what you mean about looking back- I have wasted hours searching for MK construction/opening pictures... it is fascinating!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: