Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2011, 12:35 AM   #1
Clare
Mouseketeer

What to use for Fish Extender Holder?

We are doing our first cruise on Nov. 3, and we're excited to be participating in the FE gift exchange!

My question: What are some ideas for do-it-yourself FE holders? Could I just hang a cute canvas bag there or will I be laughed off the ship?

I've seen lots of gorgeous, custom versions on etsy & e-Bay, but I'm not prepared to spend the money for something I won't really use once we're home. But....obviously, I will need something for people to put our goodies in.

Ideas? Photos? Help!
Clare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:12 AM   #2
Chicogirl
Mouseketeer

I have seen some made out of hanging locker organizers, and some made out of mini tote bags tied together with faberic paint added for style. I wish you luck.
Chicogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-11-2011, 01:22 AM   #3
Chicogirl
Mouseketeer

Look at fish extender thread #81. they have a lot of samples there.
Chicogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:46 AM   #4
Clare
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicogirl View Post
Look at fish extender thread #81. they have a lot of samples there.
Great! Sorry to be so technically challenged, but where would I find that thread?
Old 10-11-2011, 09:49 AM   #5
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

I just hung a plain blue tote bag. It worked for us and no one could look inside easily. It wasn't even a canvas or fabric one, but the reusable ones that stores for selling for a dollar or two or some stores even use them for purchases now.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:52 AM   #6
nlginny
Mouseketeer

We used a 4 pocket over the door organizer we bought in Toys r us in the baby section. It worked perfect!
Old 10-11-2011, 09:53 AM   #7
Clare
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilljill View Post
I just hung a plain blue tote bag. It worked for us and no one could look inside easily. It wasn't even a canvas or fabric one, but the reusable ones that stores for selling for a dollar or two or some stores even use them for purchases now.
Good to know! Thanks so much!
Old 10-11-2011, 10:02 AM   #8
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clare View Post
Good to know! Thanks so much!
You are welcome. We did ziptie it to the fish.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:21 AM   #9
kcashner
DIS Veteran

I have 2 handmade FEs (one for 2 people, one for 4). However, on one trip I forgot to bring it. I just hung out a bag--worked fine, not so cute!
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:49 AM   #10
lds0191
DIS Veteran

FE Bag

We are getting ready (for the 2nd time) to use a small red canvas bag from Michaels. I laminated an oval Mickey picture I copied from the internet and added our names to it and glued it to the front of the bag. A couple of Disneys trading pins attached to it and we will be good to go. It is small but DD checks it so often I don't think it's size will be a problem. I had intended on using the 'no sew fish extender' instructions but got lazy. I was a little embarassed first cruise since there were some really great looking FE's. But, I am so not crafty or artsy and this little bag worked fine for us.
lds0191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:08 AM   #11
dizzi
DIS Veteran

i have seen so many things as fish extenders..........

plastic pumpkins from Halloween
stocking
gift bag or two hung together if more than on kid
purse
sand bucket decorated with disney stickers
carry on bag
back packs

use your imagination u can use anything your heart desires
Old 10-11-2011, 11:29 AM   #12
Clare
Mouseketeer

Thanks you guys! I feel better now!

I think I'm going to get a cheap canvas bag from Hobby Lobby & iron on a Minnie head out of cute fabric. Maybe tie on a couple ribbons to the handle, and we'll be good to go.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:31 AM   #13
PrincessMer
Mouseketeer

The first time I participated in the FE I used a nice Disney canvas bag and I used a ziptie to secure it to the fish holder. The second time around I just used a blue DVC bag I got and I didn't bother to secure it. It worked out just fine!

Have a great cruise!
Meredith
Old 10-11-2011, 11:51 AM   #14
marciemouse
Raised on Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlginny View Post
We used a 4 pocket over the door organizer we bought in Toys r us in the baby section. It worked perfect!
I love this idea! How did you hang yours off the fish? (The Koala Baby brand one I saw online has over-the-door hooks.)

Cruisin' With Mickey! Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera March 2012 Trip Report
Double Dip on the Disney Wonder ~ September 2014 Trip Report

Ramada Maingate February 2014--First time as a family of five! Ramada Maingate July 2013--Last time as a family of four! Ramada Maingate December 2012--Club 33! Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera November 2012--We're addicted! Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera March 2012--First Cruise! Ramada Maingate September 2011--First Trip as a family of 4! Anaheim Hilton March 2011--Last Trip as a Family of 3! Marriott Anaheim December 2010--Grandpa Jim's First Trip Marriott Anaheim October 2010--Celebrating Our 1 Year Adoption Anniversary Marriott Anaheim July 2010--Isabel's 3rd Birthday Trip Marriott Anaheim May 2010--First Time at Disneyland & First Trip with Isabel! Off Site May 2009--Quick getaway with my two favorite guys, DH and Dad Pop Century September 2008--My first solo trip! Pop Century May 2008--Finally just DH and me again! All Star Sports September 2006--With Dad and The Otters All Star Movies October 2005--Pressed penny collecting trip on the heels of Hurricane Wilma! Off Site December 2004--One last trip with Mom...bittersweet memories Off Site April 2003--With Mom & Dad Off Site May 2000--First trip with DH! And way more trips than I can count while living in Florida and then visiting after we moved!
marciemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:51 PM   #15
marciemouse
Raised on Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlginny View Post
I forgot to also ask... Was this too wide for the space? Like did it sort of hang crooked?

Cruisin' With Mickey! Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera March 2012 Trip Report
Double Dip on the Disney Wonder ~ September 2014 Trip Report

Ramada Maingate February 2014--First time as a family of five! Ramada Maingate July 2013--Last time as a family of four! Ramada Maingate December 2012--Club 33! Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera November 2012--We're addicted! Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera March 2012--First Cruise! Ramada Maingate September 2011--First Trip as a family of 4! Anaheim Hilton March 2011--Last Trip as a Family of 3! Marriott Anaheim December 2010--Grandpa Jim's First Trip Marriott Anaheim October 2010--Celebrating Our 1 Year Adoption Anniversary Marriott Anaheim July 2010--Isabel's 3rd Birthday Trip Marriott Anaheim May 2010--First Time at Disneyland & First Trip with Isabel! Off Site May 2009--Quick getaway with my two favorite guys, DH and Dad Pop Century September 2008--My first solo trip! Pop Century May 2008--Finally just DH and me again! All Star Sports September 2006--With Dad and The Otters All Star Movies October 2005--Pressed penny collecting trip on the heels of Hurricane Wilma! Off Site December 2004--One last trip with Mom...bittersweet memories Off Site April 2003--With Mom & Dad Off Site May 2000--First trip with DH! And way more trips than I can count while living in Florida and then visiting after we moved!
marciemouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: