Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2011, 11:44 AM   #1
t_catt11
Pin Trading Addict

Hallowen Party 10/6/2011 - a review

Last week, we attended Mickey's not so Scary Halloween Party on Thursday, October the 6th.

Summary: crowds were pretty heavy - moving around the park was much more difficult than at any point during any day of our trip. That being said, we had a lot of fun, and got to do pretty much everything we had wanted to do. We saw lots of cool costumes, and really enjoyed the Halloween music and atmosphere.

Myself, DW, and the four older kids all went as pirates. DS4 months was dressed as our parrot (complete with eyepatch and "earring" on his parrot hat).

We had originally planned on a Crystal Palace breakfast at 9:05 AM, but decided to cancel the breakfast in favor of a somewhat later arrival. I hated to do this - we wanted to do CP on the last trip, and had been lookign forward to it for this one - but rope drop to midnight just isn't practical with three kids ages four and under.

So, we did a rather light half day at Magic Kingdom, bussed back to Coronado Springs, took a short break, changed into costume, and bussed back to the park by about 5:30.

We decided that it would be better to eat before the actual party began, so we started looking for likely places. We ended up settling for Pecos Bill's - we'd had Columbia Harbor House for lunch, Tortuga Tavern was already closed (?), we wanted to be close to Frontierland, and we didn't want to risk table service.

Pecos Bills was even slower than usual... there was a ten plus minute stretch where not one bite of food was served, period. The line just kept stacking up. After a half hour in line (with only four families ahead of me), I got our food, which we wolfed down.

We got to the Seven Dwarfs line at 6:35 or so to discover a good 80-90 people already in line. Rats. We waited for a few minutes, when DD15 made a very compelling argument.

"Why," she asked, "are we standing in this line? This is going to take forever! No one in this family particularly likes Snow White, anyway. Are we doing this for any reason except that you can't get a photo with the dwarfs other times?"

We decided that she had a point, and left to go to Jack Sparrow's line, where we were about family number five.

Jack spent a solid ten minutes with the first girl in line - which I'm sure made her day (mom had told us that he was the one thing she wanted to do), but the rest of the line was getting restless. We had our meet and greet with him, and he was cool (we were harried... little boys were getting tired of waiting... 20 minutes for four families seems like a long time when you are used to the quicker interactions).

From there, we headed toward the hub. We had thought to meet Tarzan and/or Jane, but this location consisted of... Terk. Who we had already met at AK earlier in the week. Timon and Rafiki? Rafiki, naturally. We continued to the hub.

We hopped into Gaston's line and had a great meet with him - he was fantastic, so deliciously vain. DD wanted to see the next M&M show, so she split off from us, as did DS13. We took the little boys and hopped into Lotso's line and got a pic with him.

From there, we did some trick or treating, then came the time for the first parade. Crowds were absolutely insane for this, so we made a run to Frontierland and Brer Rabbit's candy patch, meeting up with DD on the way (DS13 was still chasing rides).

We did the candy trail, got lost trying to make it to the castle via Fantasyland (couldn't find a way to Fantasyland, ended up going back through Libery Square to the castle). We all met back up and watched a M&M show from the extreme left end of the stage, then got into Maleficent's line. Here was my biggest complaint for the party - it is impossible to meet all of the M&M characters. In fact, you basicaly get to meet only one of them per show, and that's if you know where to stand during the show.

Fortunately, we were lucky enough to have been standing close enough to get in line for Maleficent, and we got a quick pic just before she left.

Hallowishes came next. We didn't have the most perfect seats - some of the fireworks were blocked on the left side of the castle (which is where more of them went off, as it turns out) by a building. Still, it was a great show.

Now was the time to gameplan. We agreed that we'd really like to meet Dr. Facilier, so we decided to grab a snack and stake out a spot for the 10:05 M&M and his line. From there, we'd just turn around and move up to see the 2nd parade at 10:30. This turned out to be a great strategy - we had a really nice spot for the show, were second to meet Facilier, and were able to get our stroller right up to the curb for the parade. Incidentally, Facilier was a blast to meet - so smooth, so perfectly in character! Also, a fantastic dancer (from the show).

As has been widely reported, Frollo does not have a line - he simply mingles with the crowd, most of whom do not recognize him. We were able to easily get a pic with him while waiting for the parade - in fact, our first pic turned out badly, so we went back to him and he graciously posed with us a second time. I bought a light up skull for DS4 and some light up hair for DD15, and we watched the parade.

Easily the best parade we have seen - good music, good energy, superb floats and characters. Bad thing: seems like FOREVER between seeing the headless horseman and the arrival of the parade. Also, the Clara Cluck float cracks me up!

DS4 wanted to trick or treat a little more before we left, but the big kids were done - we let them bus back to the resort. DS2 was in the process of falling asleep in the stroller.

We did some more trick or treating and gave DS4 the option of hitting a dance party, but he didn't want to do that. We passed by Aurora's line (pretty short) but skipped this, as well. We did let the little guy ride Tomorrowland Speedway twice - it was walk on, and that's a ride I have a tough time standing in a long line for during the day.

We didn't stay in the park quite until midnight, but left only a few minutes before. Crowded bus meant that it was 12:30 before we were back at the resort.

All in all, it was a great night, and well worth doing. I wish that the crowds hadn't been quite so heavy, and I wish that the M&M characters were more accessible, but I don't guess that I can really complain about seeing two M&M shows with primo seats, seeing Hallowishes, seeing the parade, getting two full bags of candy, and meeting six characters who are unavailable outside of the party.

Last edited by t_catt11; 10-14-2011 at 11:58 AM.
t_catt11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:07 PM   #2
anne60
DIS Veteran

Thanks for posting this - I am going on Thursday with my daughter and her best friend (they are in their 20s). Your post reinforces the point that you need to prioritize and not try to do it all or you are setting yourself up for frustrations. I plan to have a rough strategy going in to the night, and then be flexible (like your daughter with Snow White) based on how things are rolling.
anne60 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-14-2011, 12:13 PM   #3
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne60 View Post
Thanks for posting this - I am going on Thursday with my daughter and her best friend (they are in their 20s). Your post reinforces the point that you need to prioritize and not try to do it all or you are setting yourself up for frustrations. I plan to have a rough strategy going in to the night, and then be flexible (like your daughter with Snow White) based on how things are rolling.
Good plan.

FastPass+ Basic Information, Suggested Priorities, And Strategies--Part II
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:44 PM   #4
t_catt11
Pin Trading Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne60 View Post
Glad this was helpful for you.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:14 PM   #5
brerdawg
Disney Commando

Sounds like a great time. I can't wait until we're there next year!

Tree House Villas 1997
Pop Century 2005
Coronado Springs 2008, 2012
Beach Club 2010

brerdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 03:55 PM   #6
jms1022
Earning My Ears

i'm so excited! As you can see from my ticker 7 days and counting til we drive on down! Me (13) and my sis (19) will be going to the party on the 27th. We are being fairies, me Silvermist, and her just a fairy cuz she wanted an orange dress.
Disney dad Disney mom Disney sister Me! Disney dog Gunner trips: October 2005 Port Orleans my first trip! ( i was 6) December 2007 Wilderness Lodge my second trip ( i was 8) October 2011 Wilderness Lodge my third trip (I turned 13 while we were there)
jms1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:17 PM   #7
MARsMama
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_catt11 View Post
Last week, we attended Mickey's not so Scary Halloween Party on Thursday, October the 6th.

Summary: crowds were pretty heavy - moving around the park was much more difficult than at any point during any day of our trip. That being said, we had a lot of fun, and got to do pretty much everything we had wanted to do. We saw lots of cool costumes, and really enjoyed the Halloween music and atmosphere.

Myself, DW, and the four older kids all went as pirates. DS4 months was dressed as our parrot (complete with eyepatch and "earring" on his parrot hat).

We had originally planned on a Crystal Palace breakfast at 9:05 AM, but decided to cancel the breakfast in favor of a somewhat later arrival. I hated to do this - we wanted to do CP on the last trip, and had been lookign forward to it for this one - but rope drop to midnight just isn't practical with three kids ages four and under.

So, we did a rather light half day at Magic Kingdom, bussed back to Coronado Springs, took a short break, changed into costume, and bussed back to the park by about 5:30.

We decided that it would be better to eat before the actual party began, so we started looking for likely places. We ended up settling for Pecos Bill's - we'd had Columbia Harbor House for lunch, Tortuga Tavern was already closed (?), we wanted to be close to Frontierland, and we didn't want to risk table service.

Pecos Bills was even slower than usual... there was a ten plus minute stretch where not one bite of food was served, period. The line just kept stacking up. After a half hour in line (with only four families ahead of me), I got our food, which we wolfed down.

We got to the Seven Dwarfs line at 6:35 or so to discover a good 80-90 people already in line. Rats. We waited for a few minutes, when DD15 made a very compelling argument.

"Why," she asked, "are we standing in this line? This is going to take forever! No one in this family particularly likes Snow White, anyway. Are we doing this for any reason except that you can't get a photo with the dwarfs other times?"

We decided that she had a point, and left to go to Jack Sparrow's line, where we were about family number five.

Jack spent a solid ten minutes with the first girl in line - which I'm sure made her day (mom had told us that he was the one thing she wanted to do), but the rest of the line was getting restless. We had our meet and greet with him, and he was cool (we were harried... little boys were getting tired of waiting... 20 minutes for four families seems like a long time when you are used to the quicker interactions).

From there, we headed toward the hub. We had thought to meet Tarzan and/or Jane, but this location consisted of... Terk. Who we had already met at AK earlier in the week. Timon and Rafiki? Rafiki, naturally. We continued to the hub.

We were there the same night, and were actually only about 2-3 families behind you!! I remember b/c I commented to dh about the baby as the parrot!
We also went to Pecos Bill to eat before the party and found it really crowded, the 5 of us ended up sitting at a small table waaaay back from the toppings bar!
From supper we went right to Jack, changing from our original plan to go to see the Seven Dwarfs, which sounds like it was a better idea. Sounds like we followed you for a bit too as we went from Jack to see if we could get Tarzan or Jane, and it was Terk who we had. Then walked by Rafiki as we had already seen him at AK too. We see Gaston, but the kids didn't want to get in his line.
We were on the wrong side to catch Maleficent, so we got a photo with Cruella Deville, but missed her the first time around and went back after Hallowishes where we caught her the second time being first in line
We enjoyed the parade a lot, and Hallowishes, but I also wish the M&M characters were more accessible. We didn't do any trick or treating as we found those lines just way too long, however, the kids did get some candy on the way out of the park.
All in all we had a great evening and we, too, only left a bit before midnight.

March 2009: Our 1st Disney Vacation - ASMu
September 2011 - POR

My First PTR
MARsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:50 PM   #8
kpm76
DIS Veteran
Charlie Brown is competing with my college basketball game

We were there on the 6th as well. We had a GREAT time!! I got in line for the Dwarfs at about 6:15 and DH let our DS1 and DD4 play in the playground close by. It was great because they were able to release some of their energy, I got to have 45 min to myself and we got a great pic. We did tons of T or T, yes the lines were long but they moves very fast. DD got to meet Aurora and Prince Philip, Gaston, Lotso, stepsisters, alladin and genie, tarzan and terk, jafar and a few others I forgot. We waited for the second parade and had a great spot. All in all, it was an awesome night
kpm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:29 PM   #9
Joanna71985
Characters are my friendsSuper CP to the rescue!
I was mostly in Fantasyland

I went on the 11th. Had a blast! I am leaning towards going again
Aug 1998- POR March 2003- HS band trip (offsite) Aug 2003- POR Jan 12-Aug 5, 2005: CP Jan 1-5, 2006: AS Sports (solo) May 24, 2006- Jan 5, 2007: CP Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007: Solo (offsite) March 1-3, 2007: Dad+me (offsite) May 16-Aug 10, 2007: CP Aug 10-12, 2007: GF May 21-Aug 15, 2008: CP Aug 15-18, 2008: AKL March 25-29, 2009 (offsite) Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: CP Jan 3-May 14, 2010: CP May 16, 2010~ FT Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012 Fantasy: Oct 20-27, 2012 (East) Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013 Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014 Dream: 3-6, 2014 (for now)
Joanna71985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: