Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2011, 01:07 PM   #16
amberg@eastlink.ca
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarfieca View Post
Le Cellier is great - keep it. I've heard that you can get the Cheddar Cheese soup to go but have never tried it. Maybe add a Counter Service spot that serves the soup and some other quick items - like poutine.

The movie kind of skips over the prairies - Manitoba and Saskatchewan. That's a sore spot to me.

Tell the real life story of Winnie the Pooh.

I'm not fussy about the lumberjack outfits but what would be a better Canadian costume.

I love Off Kilter but I don't think there's any Canadians in the group.

Sell Winnipeg Jets jerseys and Smoked Goldeye; Goldeye is a fish in Manitoba.

Brenda
from MB
<7 monthes til Treehouse Villas>
actually off kilter does have a canadian now! he's the fiddler from ontario. i was pleasantly surprised to find this out last yr. totally agree with winnie the pooh(huge fan!)

i havent seen oh canada in awhile, but was so upset when they showed the east coast of canada. they made us out to sound like coutry hicks! now granted the gentleman that did the voiceover in that part was from the south shore of ns and you can tell that by the way he speaks, but it made us sound uneducated! not many of us city "snobs" for lack of better word sound like that.

how about alexander keiths? or show halifax's citadel hill. how about our strong military presence from coast to coast(my army wife roots are showing!), julies music house, heart shaped pond, can't remember if peggys cove was shown or not. anne of green gables!

funny enough on fb yesterday on a mommy chat group i was haivng a convo with several american moms who didnt understand that our thanksgiving was in october, not november. once i gave her the run down on it she replied it doesn't sounds much different than ours. there are so many bad sterotypes about us, including that we all live in igloos cus of the snow 365 days a yr. disney has the chance to show it how it really is and should do something fab with it.

oh yeah and bring back the beaver tails!!!!

1985- off site1986- off site2003- off site2004- off site2005- allstar movies!2009- allstar movies!-tenth wedding anny trip! 2010 split stay! asmovies andwl! 2011-bay lake(feb) 2011 ssr(may) 2011 bay lake(dec) 2013 kidani, aoa(dec/jan) 2014 pop(feb-race!)
amberg@eastlink.ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:18 PM   #17
snarfieca
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberg@eastlink.ca View Post
actually off kilter does have a canadian now! he's the fiddler from ontario. i was pleasantly surprised to find this out last yr. totally agree with winnie the pooh(huge fan!)

i havent seen oh canada in awhile, but was so upset when they showed the east coast of canada. they made us out to sound like coutry hicks! now granted the gentleman that did the voiceover in that part was from the south shore of ns and you can tell that by the way he speaks, but it made us sound uneducated! not many of us city "snobs" for lack of better word sound like that.

how about alexander keiths? or show halifax's citadel hill. how about our strong military presence from coast to coast(my army wife roots are showing!), julies music house, heart shaped pond, can't remember if peggys cove was shown or not. anne of green gables!

funny enough on fb yesterday on a mommy chat group i was haivng a convo with several american moms who didnt understand that our thanksgiving was in october, not november. once i gave her the run down on it she replied it doesn't sounds much different than ours. there are so many bad sterotypes about us, including that we all live in igloos cus of the snow 365 days a yr. disney has the chance to show it how it really is and should do something fab with it.

oh yeah and bring back the beaver tails!!!!
Oh' I hadn't heard about the new fiddler. A token Canadian -good to hear.

Beaver tails are so good. Are they still around? Yes please bring 'em back - with Timmies coffee. Now that would be great.
snarfieca is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2011, 01:22 PM   #18
amberg@eastlink.ca
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarfieca View Post
Oh' I hadn't heard about the new fiddler. A token Canadian -good to hear.

Beaver tails are so good. Are they still around? Yes please bring 'em back - with Timmies coffee. Now that would be great.
yes im not sure when he joined, but i think branford ontario. that name seems to ring a bell. i was kinda stunned, cus its the running joke, off kilter and none are canadians.

beavertails are here in halifax! we have them on the waterfront for the summer crowd, and in the metro centre(concerts, comedians, etc). i never got to enjoy one in disney, but bring em back!

1985- off site1986- off site2003- off site2004- off site2005- allstar movies!2009- allstar movies!-tenth wedding anny trip! 2010 split stay! asmovies andwl! 2011-bay lake(feb) 2011 ssr(may) 2011 bay lake(dec) 2013 kidani, aoa(dec/jan) 2014 pop(feb-race!)
Old 10-10-2011, 01:29 PM   #19
iluveeyore
DIS Veteran

I vote for beaver tails - that was our favourite when we go to Epcot! And please get rid of the totem poles! A small version of the CN Tower and a mini Niagara Falls would be great - more hockey, Winnie the Pooh and less igloos and Indians would be great!
iluveeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:39 PM   #20
BACON
Mouseketeer

I asked a cast member working the Canadian pavilion about Tim's and beaver tails back in 2009. He said since Tim's is owned by Wendy's and Disney does a lot of work with McDonald's, it's unlikely you will ever see it on Disney property.
He also said they couldn't keep up with the demand from beaver tails so they stopped serving it. There's funnel cake at the American pavilion which is almost the same thing.

All I'd like to see is poutine and more beer. Nothing wrong with Keith's, but it'd be great to see more options.
BACON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:43 PM   #21
amberg@eastlink.ca
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACON View Post
I asked a cast member working the Canadian pavilion about Tim's and beaver tails back in 2009. He said since Tim's is owned by Wendy's and Disney does a lot of work with McDonald's, it's unlikely you will ever see it on Disney property.
He also said they couldn't keep up with the demand from beaver tails so they stopped serving it. There's funnel cake at the American pavilion which is almost the same thing.

All I'd like to see is poutine and more beer. Nothing wrong with Keith's, but it'd be great to see more options.
wendys connection makes total sense once you think about it.

i know im not a keith's girl....moosehead baby! lol however if keiths was served hubby might enjoy his trip more.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:17 AM   #22
thehowells
Mouseketeer

there are many great canadain beers, you may have to rotate them
tim hortons is no longer owned by wendy's it is completely canadian owned, so it's do-able, but i don't drink coffee, so no big deal

now remember the story of winnie the pooh, the bear is not from winnipeg or even manitoba, it was from white river ont, and believe me they don't like you climbing the statue

what i could go for is good homemade pancakes and maple syrup

thehowells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:45 AM   #23
twokids0204
DIS Dad #561
I control the universe.... scared yet?

Quote:

I am not sure how accurate the information this cast member gave you is.

I've heard from a few sources, that it is due to the contract with Coca-Cola, and Coke is in a joint venture with Nestle's, and Nestle's has put the coffee curse on all of WDW with it's Nescafe.

Me (Brian) DW (Sheri) DD12 DS9
Member #561
twokids0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:22 PM   #24
BACON
Mouseketeer

Well, I learned two things after posting:
-Tim Horton's became a publicly traded company in 2006.
-There's a story of Winnie the Pooh originating in Ontario and not Winnipeg, even though there's a statue of a bear with the a similar story in Winnipeg's zoo. That would be fun to research.

Maybe Disney can toss a couple of potholes in the pavilion.
BACON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:28 AM   #25
SmilingGrump
Dis Dads Club Member #584

The mention of Beaver Tails has raised a question ... are Beaver Tails Canadian? While they were quite delicious, no one I have talked to had ever had or heard of them until they went to WDW ... and that included the Canadian CMs. Poutine is widely known throughout Canada, Ginger Beef is known throughout Western North America and Asia (it's an Albertan creation), but I always thought Beaver Tails were just WDW's way of selling funnel cakes with a (very) slight Canadian twist. Are they a regional snack that just never made it out West ... which would be surprising considering I grew up surrounded by Newfies and Nova Scotians?
DL '77, DW '79, DW '00, DW '01, DW '06, Magic '08, DW '08, DW '09, Wonder '10, DW '10, Wonder '11, Aulani '12, DDC#1 (WDW '13)

me DW DD DD
SmilingGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:31 AM   #26
Disney Daniel
Aw.....FIDDLESTICKS!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilingGrump View Post
The mention of Beaver Tails has raised a question ... are Beaver Tails Canadian? While they were quite delicious, no one I have talked to had ever had or heard of them until they went to WDW ... and that included the Canadian CMs. Poutine is widely known throughout Canada, Ginger Beef is known throughout Western North America and Asia (it's an Albertan creation), but I always thought Beaver Tails were just WDW's way of selling funnel cakes with a (very) slight Canadian twist. Are they a regional snack that just never made it out West ... which would be surprising considering I grew up surrounded by Newfies and Nova Scotians?
The Beaver Tail chain is Canadian and they are available in select places throughout the nation (Halifax, Moncton and Banff come off the top of my head where I have seen them). I believe the concept however would be more difficult to pin point, other than saying North American because they seem to have different names by region. I have heard people on the DIS referring to them as "Elephant Ears" for example and a quick Google search turned up about ten other names for them (Wikipedia just calls fried dough a North American creation for the record).
Disney Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:38 AM   #27
twokids0204
DIS Dad #561
I control the universe.... scared yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilingGrump View Post
Beavertails is a Canadian Chain, mainly in the East Coast.

They originated in Ottawa, but can be found alot of places now.

The Toronto Zoo has a Beavertails that is opened year round.

Me (Brian) DW (Sheri) DD12 DS9
Member #561
twokids0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:58 AM   #28
SmilingGrump
Dis Dads Club Member #584

Okay, thanks for that! I've heard of Elephant Ears, the carnies brought them up from the States a long time ago. Probably something that's near impossible to trace the origins of but at least I now know that WDW didn't just rebrand funnel cakes with a more Canadian sounding name
DL '77, DW '79, DW '00, DW '01, DW '06, Magic '08, DW '08, DW '09, Wonder '10, DW '10, Wonder '11, Aulani '12, DDC#1 (WDW '13)

me DW DD DD
SmilingGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:05 AM   #29
CdnCarrie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well, I learned two things after posting:
-Tim Horton's became a publicly traded company in 2006.
-There's a story of Winnie the Pooh originating in Ontario and not Winnipeg, even though there's a statue of a bear with the a similar story in Winnipeg's zoo. That would be fun to research.

Maybe Disney can toss a couple of potholes in the pavilion.
The army vet who adopted the bear cub was from Winnipeg and named the cub after the city. The cub was found in Ontario and moved to the London Zoo. Pretty well known info in Winnipeg where Milne and his son Robin saw him.

Don't think they will do anything at the Canadian pavilion over Winnie as he's already next door at the UK pavilion. Would be confusing for everyone.
CdnCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:22 PM   #30
amberg@eastlink.ca
DIS Veteran

not that i eat them, but donairs? but then again that's an east coast thing.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: