Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2011, 06:31 PM   #1
Sapper383
DIS Veteran

4 become 10....Travel and arrival

Index

Day 1
Day 2
Day 3
Day 4
Day 5
Day 6

We only got back on Friday morning but thought I would get started....two reasons....I've never written a trip report before, so not sure how it's going to turn out and I'm trying to fend off the Disney blues

The cast:

Me: Sam 35
DH: Rich 37
DS: Ieuan 12
DD: Moli 6

My Mum: Chris 59
My Dad: Stuart 62

My Sister: Theresa 40
Her partner: Andrew 41
My Neice: Bethan 16
Nephew: Dafydd 10

This is all of us:

We had a minibus to take us to the Travelodge, Gatwick. It picked us up at 5pm on Wednesday 21st September. We arrived at the travelodge at 9pm, checked in and then went to the bar for a drink and some food.

I wasn't feeling well, I had had a bad cold for the last few days and couldn't wait to go to bed.....but typically spent the whole night tossing and turning and checking the clock!!!!.......it was also stuffy in the room and the windows were nailed shut!

The alarm went off at 7.30....but I was already awake

We got the shuttle bus at 8.30 to Gatwick Airport......we managed to negotiate the works that is going on outside the airport and got checked in straight away as there was no line. We had already prebooked our seats and had row 64....one row from the back

Checkin was smooth and we made our way to Frankie and Bennys for some Breakfast.

DH had the full works

I had a Breakfast roll, I still wasn't feeling great and only managed a few mouthfulls.....

....off to Boots to stock up on some much needed drugs.....I got some decongestant tablets and vicks nasel spray......this brought tears to my eyes, but it was good stuff, just felt like it was stripping the skin from my nasel passage

We had a look around duty free and I got some Clinique eye gel and some Byonce purfume.....the funny thing was....my flu had rendered me with no smell, but I hadn't packed any purfume as I had intended on buying some more in duty free.....DH tried to advise me but I decided to check with my niece and I'm glad I did.....she nearly threw up when I asked her to smell the one DH chose......she then chose Byonce for me, which once my smell came back, I liked

The flight was on time and we started bording at 12, after upper and priemium we were the first lot to be borded. The flight took off on time, at 1pm....but boy it was a bumpy take off and scared the life out of me........the whole flight was pretty bumpy with a large stretch of it where we had to keep our seatbelts on.

I didn't watch any of the films as I was still feeling rough, I tried to have a sleep, but no joy....DD6 was so excited and didn't stop talking.

We were given pretzels just after take off....I love these

we also had a skinny cow chocolate covered chocolate icecream half way through the flight.....this was great as by now I had a sore throat, so this helped to sooth it

We landed in Orlando international at 5.30pm and it was raining

We were last off the plane, so at the end of the imigration line.....but it still only took us an hour to get through and our bags were waiting for us

We were on our way to collect our car from Alamo...we had already done online checkin....we bumped into a virgin rep, she had been looking for us as they were worried that we hadn't picked up our Universal Tickets and everyone else had come through

We collected our tickets from the virgin desk that is located in the car park and we went to pick our car....the choice was a Ford E350....or a Ford E350....or another Ford E350, all white.....guess what we chose???

We piled in the cases and we were off....Virgin had given us directions but DH said he knew a quicker way....this worried me...I should have had more faith....after 30mins, we arrived at Animal Kingdom Lodge, Jambo House......we were greated straight away and doors were opened and the staff removed our cases for us and we arranged for bell service to take our cases.

We walked into Jambo house.....and....it was spectacular...pictures just don't do it justice

we were given room 4202, just above reception...

..we had an obstructed savanna view....we hadn't paid for one, so not a problem.....we had bunk beds and the kids were made up with this.

Bell service bought our cases within minutes, I started doing a bit of unpacking but needed to go and get a drink as my throat was getting worse........as we were about to leave, the fire alarm went off.....we were directed to the front of the building and had to wait there for quite a while..........It turned out, and my sister saw this happen as she was in Mara......a little boy pressed the fire alarm, he was playing with it and his mother told him to stop, he didn't but she didn't say anything else to him, then he set it off....the firebrigade came but they came to the back of the building and we never saw them at the front.

later that night we had a message on the phone to appologise.

When we were alowed back in we went straight to Mara, we purchased the refilable mugs and we had counter service.....we found Mara to have a limited amount of options but what they did have was good.....we got zebra dome's for desert but took them back up to the fridge.

It was 10pm and time for bed

Last edited by Sapper383; 10-18-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Sapper383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:37 PM   #2
Sapper383
DIS Veteran

Some more photos from Jambo House

Artwork on the stairwell

end of our hallway

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-09-2011, 12:42 AM   #3
jtlover
DIS Veteran

Glad you were ok on the flight, last time I flew with a cold I thought my head was going to explode as it affected my ears really badley!

Looking forward to the rest of the trip report
Old 10-09-2011, 06:18 AM   #4
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Can't wait to hear more, hope the cold has cleared up
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:05 AM   #5
PJB71
DIS Veteran

Great pics, looking forward to reading more, and hope you were soon feeling better
Old 10-09-2011, 04:31 PM   #6
buzz for boys
Certified Serious Stitch Stalker

Fab start Sam - Ill race you to finish your trippie before I finish mine!! lol

buzz for boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:39 PM   #7
dixonsontour
DIS Veteran

Great start - i've got my DD the same pink bag from the disney store for the plane.
20+ trips to USA 1997 onwards including All Star Movies Dec 2009 with DDP, OKW Oct 2010 with DDP, Floridays Resort Oct 2011, Bahama Bay resort May 2012, OKW Oct 2012 with DxDDP, All Star Movies Oct 2013 with DDP, Cabana bay and Universal Oct 2014

DH 40 Me 39 DD 8

Perfectly Princess Tea Party Review Disney Dining 2010 Review
Dining on a budget - $100 a day with coupons All new Dining on a Budget of $100 May 2012
Dixons go Deluxe Oct/Nov 12
dixonsontour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:13 AM   #8
DISWolves
Dreams really can come true !!!!

I like the story of DH perfume choice
Jambo house looks nice.....
Looking forward to the next instalment
DISWolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:51 PM   #9
chocolateMinnie
DIS Veteran

great review, so sorry you started your holiday ill though. We go to akl for the first time this trip (fingers crossed)

chocolateMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:14 PM   #10
jockey
Repeat after me....I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's!!!!!!

Great start

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: