Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reservations
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2011, 10:24 PM   #1
kellicb
Mouseketeer

Adding 1 person on when we get there?

I have all my ADR's made and then my cousin's husband decides he wants to join us on this trip. Got the room reservation changed (had to move from POFQ to POR, which is fine) but when I tried to "add" him on to the ADR's (basically they were going to cancel existing ones and book new ones), there weren't any openings left.

So, I told cousin's husband that he can tag along with us and we can ask when we get there if we can squeeze one more to the reservation/table. Has anyone had experience with this? Do you think it will work?

So, basically we have ADR's for 2 adults, 2 kids and now we'll have 3 adults and 2 kids. One of the kids can sit on our laps for all we care.

Aug '89 - Offsite, Aug '92 - Offsite, Aug '94 - The Disney Inn
Sep '99 - Dixie Landings, July '04 - Caribbean Beach, Oct '06 - Coronado Springs
Nov '08 - All Star Music, June '09 - Old Key West, Dec '10 - Port Orleans Riverside
Nov '11 - Port Orleans Riverside, Nov '12 - Caribbean Beach, Sep '13 - Port Orleans French Quarter
kellicb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:56 AM   #2
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

The answer to this question largely depends on how busy the restaurant is when you go to eat. If they have room to accommodate you, then you will probably be able to add your cousin's husband. However, if there are no available tables for five or six (usually a party of five will be seated at a six top) you might not be allowed to add him or you might be treated as a walk-up. If the restaurant is full (i.e., at capacity) then they cannot add him due to fire codes. Your best bet is to keep trying for an ADR for five or six (even numbers tend to work better) people.
figment_jii is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2011, 08:33 PM   #3
kellicb
Mouseketeer

I'll keep looking and yeah, that's what I was thinking. We're not going to put ourselves out over this. He's the one who didn't make up his mind in time. LOL
Thanks.

Aug '89 - Offsite, Aug '92 - Offsite, Aug '94 - The Disney Inn
Sep '99 - Dixie Landings, July '04 - Caribbean Beach, Oct '06 - Coronado Springs
Nov '08 - All Star Music, June '09 - Old Key West, Dec '10 - Port Orleans Riverside
Nov '11 - Port Orleans Riverside, Nov '12 - Caribbean Beach, Sep '13 - Port Orleans French Quarter
Old 10-07-2011, 08:16 AM   #4
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellicb View Post
So, basically we have ADR's for 2 adults, 2 kids and now we'll have 3 adults and 2 kids. One of the kids can sit on our laps for all we care.
Disney won't even consider that option. Each person must have their own spot at the table.

The biggest problem is that with the extra person along, you now need a bigger table than what you needed before. The restaurant thinks you need a 4 top when you really need a 6 top. Showing up and hoping they can accomodate you is taking a chance. If the restaurant is booked they won't be able to switch you to the larger table.

The best bet is to keep checking for an ADR for 5. You could get lucky and someone else cancels what you need. Otherwise you can go, and hope for the best. But you need to be prepared that the extra guest may be turned away.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:46 PM   #5
Nadjalu
DIS Veteran

To be honest be prepared for him to be turned away.

AT popular places, and if you are going during free dining you can best believe he won't get in.

Keep trying to add him, even look for a ressie for 1 around your time, then link them if you can.

But have him ready to eat at other places or grab CS.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:28 AM   #6
Bete
DIS Veteran

Wink One chance to try is

to get one child into a high chair. Whether they will cooperate or not doing so just depends. If your kids are completely passed this staged then it's going to be rough.

Change your times and restaurants some and see what you get for parties of five.

I agree with others that you may be treated as a walk-up and you will have a much longer wait. You could get lucky, too, but I just don't think so based on experienced.
Bete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:38 AM   #7
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

If they turn away the extra person having a child sit on a lap will not rectify that. Nor does it matter if a child is in a high chair. If they turn your extra person away it likely means the restaurant is at capacity for fire codes and they won't let another person in, no matter where they sit.

There's a chance this will happen. It's not a huge chance, but you need to think about what the alternatives will be if it does.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:39 PM   #8
Neverneverland
Earning My Ears

I wondered about this before hand and over the Columbus day weekend (sadly on a flight home as a type... ) they had no problem adding one to cinderellas castle 8:10 breakfast ( going from 4 to a 5 ) and no problem doing the same for 6 pm California grill - everyone on these boards pretty much told me that this would be impossible. That's my experience, holiday weekend - no problem at all .....
Neverneverland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:45 PM   #9
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverneverland View Post
I wondered about this before hand and over the Columbus day weekend (sadly on a flight home as a type... ) they had no problem adding one to cinderellas castle 8:10 breakfast ( going from 4 to a 5 ) and no problem doing the same for 6 pm California grill - everyone on these boards pretty much told me that this would be impossible. That's my experience, holiday weekend - no problem at all .....
The thing is, there is no way to know ahead of time if someone will be lucky like you and able to add people, or be turned away. It doesn't hurt to try, as long as if you are told "No" it won't ruin your day. It is totally up to chance.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:02 PM   #10
kellicb
Mouseketeer

Just an update on this so other people know. I was able to change a couple of the reservations so I only had to worry about 3 (and cousin's hubby didn't attend one of them with us). One was Crystal Palace at 4:40pm and they said no problem, you might have to wait a little longer. Less than 5 minutes later, all 5 of us were seated. The other one was at 1900 Park Fare around 6:35. Again....no problem, might have to wait a little longer and were seated 5 minutes later. The only reservation we had a LONG wait for was Coral Reef and we had a reservation for 5 ppl already LOL.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: