Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2011, 03:21 PM   #1
TheMaxRebo
DIS Veteran

Faint hearts never won fair lady - or got all the ADRs *Update 12/1 - F&WF Kiosks*

Hello everyone and welcome to my dining report. This is my second attempt at this and I promise I will not run out of steam with this one like I did a few years ago

The members of this trip are the same as last time, with some modifications

Me: The planner of the group. Big time foodie and big time drinker (wait, that came out wrong)

DW: Puts up with my Disney obsession but enjoys it when we get here. She also loves to eat and drink ... but being that she is 7 months pregnant on our trip I will have to drink for her as well (wait, this is still coming out wrong)

DD: 2 years and 8 months for the trip (but going on about 12) - loves princesses and Playhouse Disney (sorry, Disney Jr.). She's often an adventurous eater but also likes her pizza and chicken nuggets

MIL: Comes along to spend time with her granddaughter. Not a very adventurous eater but enjoys eating out on vacation

Ratings scale: I opted to base it on characters from my favorite Disney animated movie (which is also one of the ones most criminally neglected) - Robin Hood

Robin Hood .... so good it feels like stealing from the rich and giving to the poor

Little John .... Really enjoyable but not a staring event

The kids .... A good time and enjoyable but not ready for prime time

Sir Hiss .... not really good, but could be worse, at least some laughs maybe

Prince John .... just bad, not good, and not even a strong bad, just bad

We stayed off site so some meals will be off Disney property, but I will probably just stick with the Disney meals unless people have questions about places. We will also be hitting up a lot of the Food & Wine Festival kiosks

Meal Schedule:

Saturday 10/8 (arrival day)
Dinner: Raglan Road

Sunday 10/9
Lunch: Joe's Crab Shack - offsite
Dinner: California Grill

Monday 10/10
Lunch: Akershus
Afternoon Drinks: La Cava del Tequila & Craft Beer Kiosk
Dinner: Rose & Crown

Tuesday 10/11
Lunch: Flame Tree Bar-b-q
Dinner: 'Ohanas

Wednesday 10/12
Breakfast: Chrystal Palace
Lunch: Columbia House Harbor
Dinner: Main St. Bakery - don't judge me ;o)

Thursday 10/13
Lunch: Rainforest Cafe
Dinner: Wolfgang Puck Cafe

Friday 10/14
Breakfast: Hollywood & Vine
Lunch: F&WF Kiosks
Dinner: Bahama Breeze - Offsite

Final thoughts - Summary, best/worst, etc.

**In Progress** Wait, weren't you just at Disney World? An August '14 Pre-Trip Report - A Pre-Trip Report: 8/25 - 8/29
Ooh-de-lally! A dining heavy October '13 Trip Report - A Trip Report: 10/11-10/18/13
Faint hearts never won fair lady - or got all the ADRs you wanted. - A Dining Review 10/8/11 - 10/15/11
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" - A Dining Review 10/24/09 - 10/31/09

Last edited by TheMaxRebo; 12-01-2011 at 03:52 PM.
TheMaxRebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:06 PM   #2
bonzarella
DIS Veteran

cant wait for your F&W opinions.
4/08 Star Island [12/07 Xmas @ Ft. W cabins 11/07 at Bonnet Creek 10/07 at Silver Lakes F&W&W&W&W 9/07 Bouncedback w/FDP @Pop at Bonnet Creek 6/07 Bonnet Creek OKW-offsite 3/07 Proud Parents of AKV 2/07 OKW-Pirate & Princess Party 11/06-OKW-MVMCP with KB! 9/06-Pop Century/FDP/Bonnet Creek 3/06-OKW-Spring Break10/05-OKW/MNSSHP 7/05-OKW/Vero Beach/OKW 3/05-Regal Palm 10/04-DVC MEMBERS
7/04-Fort Wilderness Cabins-1st Family trip

[
bonzarella is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2011, 07:22 PM   #3
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

Have a great trip! Looking forward to your reviews -- love the rating system!

Mom & Son - The Last Time? August 2013 ~ Mom & Son Take on Spring Break - March 2013
Mom & Son Head to Food & Wine - November 2012 ~ Mom & Son - One More Time with Dad! August 23rd - Sept 3rd 2012
Mom and Son Take on the Land! - July 2010 Trip Report
- Mom and Son Going Back -Another 10 days of Deluxe Dining 8/25 - 9/5/2011
Mom and Son Eat the World -11 days of Deluxe Dining ~Mom and Son Eat the World Part 2-With Dad this Time

Offsite 1987, 1988, 1990; Grand Floridian - 1991 (Honeymoon); Port Orleans French Quarter - 1993, 1994; Animal Kingdom Lodge - July 2004 (DS's First Trip); Wilderness Lodge - July 2005; Yacht Club - August 2006; Mom & Son Weekend @ Contemporary Resort - April 2007; Port Orleans Riverside - August 2007; Mom & Son Trip to POP - August 2008; Family trip to POP - December 2009; Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel - July 2010; Pop Century - August 2011; AKL/CSR/ASMo - August 2012; Mom & Son Food & Wine Trip to ASMu - November 2012; Mom & Son Trip to Art of Animation - March 2013; Mom & Son Trip to Caribbean Beach - August 2013; Disney Dining Diva Trip at Pop - December 2013
GoofySon'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:31 AM   #5
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

I'm in!
Dis_Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:28 PM   #6
deenbrad
DIS Veteran

I'm in too!
off-site many times 1989-2009 (including half of our honeymoon in 1996!), Pop Century May 2011
deenbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:03 PM   #7
TheMaxRebo
DIS Veteran

Welcome aboard everyone!

We are here now in rainy FL - it was so bad today we actually rearranged or scedule and didn't go the a park today.

I'll write more when I have internet access. We had a really nice meal at Raglan Road last night and are heading to California Grill right now.

**In Progress** Wait, weren't you just at Disney World? An August '14 Pre-Trip Report - A Pre-Trip Report: 8/25 - 8/29
Ooh-de-lally! A dining heavy October '13 Trip Report - A Trip Report: 10/11-10/18/13
Faint hearts never won fair lady - or got all the ADRs you wanted. - A Dining Review 10/8/11 - 10/15/11
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" - A Dining Review 10/24/09 - 10/31/09
Old 10-09-2011, 06:15 PM   #8
TigerKat
HOPE YOUR DAY IS FILLED WITH JOY AND HAPPINESS !!
Blow some of that cool air down here
Warning! Getting a tag is hazardous to my mouse

Signing on! Sorry about the weather.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:45 PM   #9
annie1995
I have not used mine outside the house yet
CM's always tell me that's not how it works

I'm in too!! Hope the weather clears up for you soon!!
Old 10-09-2011, 07:47 PM   #10
Jonesloonybin
DIS Veteran

Can't wait to read the reviews! I would love for you to review the off site places as well. We have thought of eating off site but I just cannot find very many reviews for any.

Terri

Trips: May 2011 Pop/May 2012 Pop/February 2013 POFQ
Dining report:May 2011
May 2012 PTR: Don't tell them we are going back!
Jonesloonybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:13 PM   #11
Disneybrenda
Earning My Ears

Subbing. I would also like to hear about off site restaurants. Thanks.
Disneybrenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:39 AM   #12
TheMaxRebo
DIS Veteran

everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzarella View Post
cant wait for your F&W opinions.
We hit them hard the last day we were there and a lot of good food. Researched helped a lot )

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofySon'sMom View Post
Have a great trip! Looking forward to your reviews -- love the rating system!
We had a great trip - though it was way more crowded than I expeted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyNicki View Post
Count me in for this one!
Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dis_Yoda View Post
I'm in!
Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesloonybin View Post
Can't wait to read the reviews! I would love for you to review the off site places as well. We have thought of eating off site but I just cannot find very many reviews for any.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneybrenda View Post
Subbing. I would also like to hear about off site restaurants. Thanks.
We wound up not eating off site too often, but I will have reviews up on Joe's Crab Shack and Bahama Breeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie1995 View Post
I'm in too!! Hope the weather clears up for you soon!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerKat View Post
Signing on! Sorry about the weather.
Thanks! The weather did clear up but Sunday evening and turned really hot for rest of the week

Quote:
Originally Posted by deenbrad View Post
I'm in too!
welcome!

Well, we just returned from a great (if tiring) week at The World. I really could not believe the crowd levels.

But we did have a ton of good food and just about all of my planning worked out so I am happy about that.

Should have the first review (which is for Raglan Road) up shortly

Old 10-18-2011, 11:12 AM   #13
TheMaxRebo
DIS Veteran

Raglan Road (Dinner: Saturday, October 8th)

We made it down to raining, dreary Orlando ... but I guess a rainy day at Disney still beats most other days

For our first night we decided to go with a restaurant that was new for us last trip and we wound up enjoying way more than expected: Ragland Road

* Quick note before the first review starts - I will highlight any special drinks (i.e., good beer, wine, etc.) but otherwise assume we just got water, ice tea, pommagranate lemonade, etc. to drink for all meals. *

After my daughter examined every single item at The World of Disney (and us getting out of there with only buying some hair clips) we made our way through the rain to Raglan Road. Despite the weather (or perhaps because of if) it was very crowded and we made our way to the hotess stand.

We were there just a few minutes early for our 7:15 ADR. We were given a pager and called in about 15 mins ... and led to a table literally touching the stage where the band would start to play shortly. Thinking this was probably not the best loation for a 2 year old we asked to be put at a different table. We were given another pager and recalled in another 15 minutes and led to a nice table away from the stage.

Meals here start with dark Irish Soda Bread with a dipping sauce with a guiness reduction in it. We all enjoyed this - especially DD who enjoys anything you can dip

We knew what we were going to get for our appetizer, so that was easy: Crock o' Pate. (Rustic chicken liver pate served with an apricot chutney). Just like last time this was very good. Realy nice flavor and very smooth and the chutney adds a lot to it. The only negative is that the bread was so crusty and chewy that it was a little hard to eat. It is also a large portion - plenty for 3 of us to share (DD, to her credit, tried it, but pronounced the chicken liver pate as "yucky")

DD ordered the Kids Chicken which was lightly battered (which was nice) but fairly tasteless (which was not nice). I appreciated that they had a number of options for side meals for the kids. My daughter request a side salad which she then ignored.

I went for the Bangers and Booz (Guinness & onion bangers on mash, topped with caramelized onions & beef stew) This was a really nice dish with the "Bangers" being the real star. very flavorful with some interesting spices. The lamb stew part almost didn't need to be there - though is resulted in a nice sauce for the potatoes.

DW ordered the Lambo (Lamb shank braised in rosemary jus with mash, leeks, ****ake mushrooms & baby carrots). She really like this but felt it didn't come with enough sauce. Fortunately the waitress was more than happy to bring out extra.

DMiL decided she just wanted a cup of cream of mushroom soup. She liked this but felt it was very one note and really just a puree and didn't have much texture

I had a pint of Guiness when we were waiting for our table (no picture) and for my meal ordered a flight of the Orlando Brewing Company's beers (Blonde, Pale, Red, Brown). I hadn't had any of their beers before but really enjoyed them. They were quite good (and this is from someone who writes a beer blog) with the blonde being the absolute highlight.

For dessert we couldn't pass up the Bread Pudding. Really, it is tough to not order this when you start seeing it delivered to neighboring tables. This was a great dessert with excellent sauces. This was another huge portion that was more than enough for all of us to share.

Overall, Raglan Road was great again and is becoming a bit of a favorite of ours. Our service was very good and the entertainment (step dancers, band, etc.) add quite a bit. A couple of dishes failed to blow us away along with having to wait for a second table prevent this from being a Robin Hood meal, but it is a sold Little John

Last edited by TheMaxRebo; 11-02-2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:31 AM   #14
bowbat
DIS Veteran

Great start! Can't wait to read the rest. My child also likes to tease us by ordering something healthy like salad and not eating it. Kids.
Wilderness Lodge – 10/2011, 11/2012, 11/2013
Boardwalk Inn – 11/2011, 3/2014
Grand Floridian – 2/2012
Yacht Club – 6/2013
bowbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:43 PM   #15
Tracerr00
DIS Veteran

I'm joining in!! I enjoyed Raglan Road last month as well and pretty much gave it the same rating. I can't wait to hear more reviews!
Tracerr00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: