Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2011, 06:50 PM   #31
Tdubswife
Mouseketeer

I am on the front end of your food review! Yayyy meee!!!! Looking forward to reading all your reviews!

Last edited by Tdubswife; 10-22-2011 at 07:15 PM.
Tdubswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:50 PM   #32
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by janabananas View Post
Subbing. We are going in 10 days for F&W so I am excited to see more pics.

We are also going in Jan. for our anniversary and making a special meal out of AP. I hope the svc and food improve. Dbf is looking forward to the buffalo, and I am looking forward to the mushroom soup.
You're going to have so much fun during your F&W trip.

I had the buffalo back in May and loved it! I wasn't in the mood for red meat last night that I didn't go that route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdubswife View Post
I am on the front end of your food review! Yayyy meee!!!! Looking forward to reading all your reviews!
Thanks for joining in! I have way more in store for the week. Hopefully I can keep on top of them all so it will be completed quickly.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-22-2011, 09:01 PM   #33
Busymom85
Mouseketeer

Enjoying your review. Thanks for posting.

Nov. 1995 Fort Wilderness
Oct. 1997 Fort Wilderness
Dec. 2007 All Star Music
Sept. 2009 All Star Music

Busymom85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:14 PM   #34
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Shula's

After relaxing in the room and by the pool (since the maid didn't come to clean our room until about 3:45pm), it eventually became time for our dinner at Shula's. We hop in the car and drive down and discover there is a sign - Dolphin Self Parking Full with an attendant there telling people to turn around. I told him why we are here and he's telling me to go to valet. I look at him and say, if I do that, the valet isn't getting a tip as I have no cash on me at this moment. With that, he let me attempt to find a spot in their very very overcrowded lot. I lucked out and as we were going down the first row, a car was pulling out so yay!

As we were walking towards the front entrance, we were amazed at how overpacked it was. There were cars pulled up on sidewalks. Cars on both side of the drop off area in the front. Literally everywhere there could possibly be a car, there was. It made me really happy I didn't take that room at the Dolphin as if I had to deal with that with coming back to my hotel after dinner, I might have thrown a fit.

We checked in for dinner and were quickly seated in the back at a cozy table for 2.

Our waiter was quick in greeting us (in fact before we could even decide on what cocktails we would want) and we were given a few minutes to look that over.

He did his presentation of the meat & we placed our orders.

For the beverages, I went with a glass of wine while my husband went with the Pineapple Mojito.

Our freshly baked bread arrived quickly.

I seriously love their bread - it was very fresh out of the oven hot.

For our appetizers, my husband went with the Caesar Salad.

He declared it one of the best caesar's he has had including the croutons.

I went another route for my choice - BBQ Basil Wrapped Shrimp

Its jumbo shrimp wrapped in basil wrapped in bacon with a wonderful bbq sauce with a bit of a kick to it. I don't know how you can go wrong with that! It also is rather heavy hitting on the stomach so that influenced my entree selection.

For my entree, I just had a bowl of French Onion Soup.

So good! The amount of cheese to onion to bread ratio is just right for me.

My husband well had to get steak in a steak place. He selected the 16 ounce New York Strip.

Seeing as he didn't leave a piece of meat on the plate, I'll say he loved it.

We went with the completely overdone in many nicer restaurants, Chocolate Lava Cake.

It really is great here, especially with their sauce on the top. Both my husband and I couldn't even finish it though as we were so full from our earlier selections.

Our servers were on top of things and overall it was a wonderful meal.

Upon leaving the Dolphin, well, we had an unpleasant experience. The self parking exit well wouldn't open. It wouldn't take our tickets. It took about 4 separate tries to get someone on the assistance button to not hang up. He didn't seem to believe his system isn't working on either side and there was a huge traffic issue going on. The man in the truck on the other exit got out of his truck and talked to him also as he never was able to get someone to answer either! Eventually someone from valet ran down and got them to work, but if you know you are having issues - put someone there full time.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:49 PM   #35
MickeyNicki
It is pretty darn sad when a valet picks you out as a big Boma eater

Loved your review of Shula's, we are headed there on Wed.

Going to be in Epcot tomorrow, will look for you there!

Yes the resorts are slamming, we are at the BWI and there is no self parking right now, its all valet, same thing at GF
MickeyNicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:03 PM   #36
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busymom85 View Post
Enjoying your review. Thanks for posting.
Thanks for joining in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyNicki View Post
Loved your review of Shula's, we are headed there on Wed.

Going to be in Epcot tomorrow, will look for you there!

Yes the resorts are slamming, we are at the BWI and there is no self parking right now, its all valet, same thing at GF
I know you are going to love it on Wednesday, provided Todd doesn't try to change your mind.

We'll be on the look out for you too tomorrow. I think we will be there until at least 2pm unless we decide to stay until after our flying fish reservation since parking is such an issue. I'm thinking between the PGA thing, the democratic convention and other things it's packing up all the resorts.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:28 AM   #37
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Thank you for posting pics from Shula's! They're the first I've ever seen. We really have to try it sometime, as the Swolphin restaurants definitely seem like a collection of gems (we recently tried Bluezoo and had some excellent courses).

So sorry that Artist Point was a disappointment. We had some excellent meals there over the summer, but we never tried the pork, halibut, or swordfish. Sounds like that pork dish needs to leave the menu quickly. And the service issues had to compound the issues with the food.

Looking forward to reading more of your reviews!
DonaldDoleWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:46 AM   #38
cbg1027
I knew I had converted him when he started pointing out hidden Mickeys to me!

I think these were the first photos I've ever seen of the food in Shula's.

I love a good onion soup...might have to try eating there sometime!
cbg1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:15 AM   #39
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldDoleWhip View Post
Thank you for posting pics from Shula's! They're the first I've ever seen. We really have to try it sometime, as the Swolphin restaurants definitely seem like a collection of gems (we recently tried Bluezoo and had some excellent courses).

So sorry that Artist Point was a disappointment. We had some excellent meals there over the summer, but we never tried the pork, halibut, or swordfish. Sounds like that pork dish needs to leave the menu quickly. And the service issues had to compound the issues with the food.

Looking forward to reading more of your reviews!
I really do like most of the meals I have had a the swolphn. We will probably give bluezoo a shoot again in a few years.

Your reviews also helped put AP back on the map for us but it happens. At least the rest of the trip has only been going up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbg1027 View Post
I think these were the first photos I've ever seen of the food in Shula's.

I love a good onion soup...might have to try eating there sometime!
And I took them without flash too, as the atmosphere there definately is the type of place i wouldnt use flash at. Before the trip, I purchased a 50mm/1.4 fl lens for my camera and with the pictures I'm getting from it, it was so worth the money. Granted I'm switching between using the nice camera and my cell phone pictures (for the f&w booths)
Old 10-23-2011, 09:56 AM   #40
janabananas
DIS Veteran

Thank you for your review of Shula's. We are thinking of going for our trip in Sept. and this is making decisions even harder.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:29 PM   #41
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Sorry your trip started off a bit rough! But it looks like things are picking up. Your dinner at Shula's looks amazing. Like others have mentioned, I don't think I've seen many pics of the food there, so it's much appreciated! It's also great to see the pictures of what you're getting at the F&W.

From reading a few reviews it seems really crowded in Disney right now. I would have thought October would be a bit of an off time - do you think it's just because of F&W? Or is there another reason why it's so crowded? We were just there in September and the place felt absolutely empty.
librarygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:49 PM   #42
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dis_Yoda View Post

He did his presentation of the meat & we placed our orders.
Looks like you are enjoying yourself and that was a very nice dinner.

So when you made the statement above, is this like Morton's where they have a cart of meat that they wheel around to all the tables and show you the various cuts wrapped in cellophane?

Also, I was hoping I might meet you at some of the F&W events this coming weekend, but alas I have just completed the unfortunate task of canceling my entire trip. All I have left is to call up about the Prepaid events and beg and plead on the grounds of medical emergency to get a refund.

So for another year. I will be living F&W vicariously through you!
Alison ~~~~ She said it wouldn't be Boring! | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:24 PM   #43
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by janabananas View Post
Thank you for your review of Shula's. We are thinking of going for our trip in Sept. and this is making decisions even harder.
You should definitely go there for your next trip! Its on the pricy side but very very worth it. Hopefully one of these days I'll actually be hungry enough to get my own steak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarygeek View Post
Sorry your trip started off a bit rough! But it looks like things are picking up. Your dinner at Shula's looks amazing. Like others have mentioned, I don't think I've seen many pics of the food there, so it's much appreciated! It's also great to see the pictures of what you're getting at the F&W.

From reading a few reviews it seems really crowded in Disney right now. I would have thought October would be a bit of an off time - do you think it's just because of F&W? Or is there another reason why it's so crowded? We were just there in September and the place felt absolutely empty.
Yeah everything has picked up from the rough start. I really enjoyed my dinner there & my husband can't wait to go back next year. EPCOT has been really crowded on the weekends but its typical for F&W time. My husband & I were at MK this afternoon and everything we went on was only a max 15 minute wait so I though that was pretty decent. Space Mountain was only at 40 minutes at 4pm but we're waiting to do that tomorrow morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
Looks like you are enjoying yourself and that was a very nice dinner.

So when you made the statement above, is this like Morton's where they have a cart of meat that they wheel around to all the tables and show you the various cuts wrapped in cellophane?

Also, I was hoping I might meet you at some of the F&W events this coming weekend, but alas I have just completed the unfortunate task of canceling my entire trip. All I have left is to call up about the Prepaid events and beg and plead on the grounds of medical emergency to get a refund.

So for another year. I will be living F&W vicariously through you!
Thanks, I'm definitely enjoying myself this past weekend.

Its very similar to Morton's - just they don't have a live lobster on the cart (I always feel really bad for that lobster)

I'm sorry you had to cancel your trip. I was looking forward to meeting you. I hope everything gets better for whatever the emergency is. Hopefully Disney will give you a refund for the events you had!
Old 10-23-2011, 10:25 PM   #44
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Pepper Market

This morning my husband wanted eggs cooked his way. Luckily the Pepper Market has a station that cooks eggs as you want, so we headed that way for breakfast.

It was mostly empty for a Sunday morning. I guess since they have the Cafe Rix now, not as many people have to eat at the Pepper Market.

My husband went for the Eggs - Scrambled.

They came with potatoes & bacon.
The one good thing - the bacon was real - non of that microwave/pre-cooked crap Disney tries to pass off as bacon.

As my husband completely cleared his plate, he enjoyed it all. I guess its pretty standard fare no matter where one gets it.

I went with one of my staple breakfast choices - Chocolate Crossiant & when I saw it was real bacon, a Side of Bacon

They were enjoyable enough. Probably a bit too much bacon for the morning, I should have just stolen my husband's from his plate.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:41 PM   #45
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Coral Reef

After our breakfast, we headed to open EPCOT.

We headed to Soarin then Living with the Land as we were right there

We grabbed our FP for Test Track and got Mission:Space & Spaceship Earth out of the way before heading back there. Next up was Living Seas w/ Nemo & finally it was time for our lunch. We checked in a little early so they hadn't opened yet. (Coral Reef opens at 11:30am)

We were very quickly seated after opening right in front of the window in the far side of the restaurant. Our server was very friendly & as we knew exactly what we wanted to order, we were all set. We wanted to eat a lighter entree as we knew we had the culinary demo at 1pm & didn't want to be too full to enjoy it.

Our service here was extremely quick. 10 minutes after ordering, a runner was out with our food.

My husband is boring & went with the Grilled Chicken Caesar.

He said it wasn't as good as last night's but was fine for a sit down lunch.

I ordered off the appetizer menu & had their Fried Shrimp w/ Coral Reef Slaw.

This is a perfect lunch portion for me today! The shrimp were nicely cooked & I enjoyed the kick to the sauce for them.

My husband enjoyed the Very Berry Punch to drink while I had the Black Cherry Twist (I really love that Red Stag)

One of the reasons I do keep Coral Reef on our dining rotations is my love of a certain dessert.
Jack Daniel & Bailey Mousse

They have had a few different variations of this over the past few years. I think I like this most recent one the best.

My husband for some reason didn't get his cheesecake that he tends to always get no matter the restaurant. He went with the Chocolate Wave.

Overall he enjoyed it.

This meal was quick but not overly so. We were in and out within 35 minutes but we didn't really feel rushed. Our server was great & friendly. We'll probably return next year when we want a sit down lunch on an EPCOT day.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: