Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2011, 10:48 AM   #16
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieBea View Post

I'm in ...
Welcome!
Old 10-17-2011, 10:58 AM   #17
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

4 DAYS!!!!!!!

Plans are already changing.

Originally I thought my husband was working until 5:00PM on Friday but plans changed. He had to go out of town for work on Saturday - won't be home until Friday morning.

Which is a good thing. My Fridays tend to be half days at the moment - so we'll get to be on the road to Disney by 1:00PM at the latest. Which even with traffic, will get us to Disney by 7:00PM.

Of course that means I need to find some place to eat on Friday around 8pm.

Our choices are:
Kona Cafe (haven't been here in forever for dinner just desserts)
Raglan Road (loved it on our honeymoon
Artist Point (went here in May with my friend and loved it)
Wave (never been)

I think I'm leaning towards Artist Point or the Wave.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-17-2011, 11:10 PM   #18
cbg1027
I knew I had converted him when he started pointing out hidden Mickeys to me!

Sorry DH has to go out of town but at least there is a silver lining of getting to leave earlier!

I'd go with The Wave for the reason you have it in the lineup - never been before!
cbg1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:14 PM   #19
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbg1027 View Post
Sorry DH has to go out of town but at least there is a silver lining of getting to leave earlier!

I'd go with The Wave for the reason you have it in the lineup - never been before!
I think that's what I'm leaning towards; however, I decided I'll just check the mobile website on the drive down and see what we truly are in the mood for. I'm sure my husband is going to be specific in what he wants due to the take out & fast food he's been enduring this week for work. I'll let him be in charge of these plans since I picked everything else.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:44 PM   #20
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Rough Start

I'm going to preface the report for today's food with stating today was not a good day.

Between issues with work (including have to spend time on Monday trying to get ahold of R&D since they never returned my calls), and discovering my brain apparently forgot some various important vacation items, I kinda want a do-over.

We got on the road from home around 12:45 and continued until 3:00pm for our usual road trip lunch at Chick-Fil-A at exit 5. Lunch was ok - normal greasy food that didn't seem to hit my stomach right & I was eating Tums on the rest of the car ride.

We hit some bad traffic around Ocala which took about 20 minutes of our time & we finally arrived at Coronado Springs around 6:15pm to check in. Check in went well and we discovered we got a really good location for not requesting anything. We're in 8A and super close to the bus stop along with being close to the main pool too. The only thing we don't like about the room is the door to the bathroom has this weird hinge thing that I've never seen before. I'll have to take a picture of it tomorrow.

While unpacking, we discovered I have no idea where my brain is.
I've apparently forgot to pack most of my husband's toiletries, my park going flip flops, our swimsuits, and most importantly, our TIW card. I get to visit guest services tomorrow while my husband is picking up his park ticket.

Last edited by Dis_Yoda; 10-21-2011 at 11:14 PM.
Dis_Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:13 PM   #21
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Artist Point

During our drive down, I used the mobile site to figure out our dining plans for the evening. My husband mentioned to me he really wants halibut or crab legs. Well he didn't want a buffet. Fulton's didn't have any openings until about 9:50pm. So looking at allears, we discovered they had just updated the menu for Artist Point from their last visit in October 2011. They had halibut! Sweet! We booked it for 7:40pm and thought we were golden.

Flash forward to 7:30pm - we check in and they stated they are sitting table close to reservation times and it should only be a few minutes.

A little before 8, we are seated and greeted by our waiter. He takes our drink order & food order and walks away. They didn't have halibut for my husband but it happens as sometimes menu change.

15 minutes later, we get our waters and bread.

10 minutes later, he cleans up the bread, the bread plates and silverware for appetizers.

We assumed that meant our entrees were coming soon.

30 minutes later, they finally came.

Roasted Pork Tenderloin - with sweet corn pudding, caramelized figs, piquillo pepper relish, and serrano ham crisp

My husband said it was eh. The best part of it was the serrano ham crisp.

Grilled Swordfish w/ Lobster Mushroom Hash & Meyer Lemon Emulsion

I really like swordfish generally when I get it at other places around our home. This well wasn't good. There was very little seasoning to the fish. Part of it could have been because I was just annoyed it took so long.

Our waitor never came and checked on the meal. Since service was so slow - I just pulled out our room charge and he just took it when he cleared the table as we told him we weren't going to do dessert. (Why would we - we didn't want to be there for another hour)

I think I lost it in a delirious laughter when I saw the check.

Apparently they really did just switch out the halibut for the swordfish (or couldn't get it from a supplier)

We realize part of the reason our service was so slow was because our server was also in charge of a 20 person party next to us and an 8 person party. This is the restaurant's fault for giving the waiter another table with having that large of parties to deal with. I know I should have talk to the manager but frankly, I just didn't have it in me today.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:21 PM   #22
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Cafe Rix

After our dinner, we returned to the hotel. We needed to pick up my husband's items I forgot at home. I decided to go into Cafe Rix and see if anything sweet caught our eyes.

Both my husband and I picked up a slice of cake.

My husband's choice

He devoured it in about a minute flat after I took that picture. I think he liked it.

I went with the cookies & cream cake.

It was really good.

Both of the cakes were only 3.99 each. We thought that was a good deal for the size they were!
Old 10-22-2011, 12:38 AM   #23
cbg1027
I knew I had converted him when he started pointing out hidden Mickeys to me!

Sorry the trip got off to a bad start. I hope they will replace the TIW card and not make you buy another.

I had a mixed experience at AP...my entree was really lacking, but I had a wonderful app, dessert, and service.
That was really a huge screw up on the management and/or seater's part to give your server a huge party plus other tables. Not an acceptable practice in any restaurant. But I understand about not even wanting to bother complaining.

Tomorrow will be a new day so the rest of trip should go well!
cbg1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:40 AM   #24
ChildAtHeart82
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry you had such a rough start. I hope it gets better!

March 2012 TR October 2012 PTR
Mar 2012: Coronado Springs; Mar 2011: French Quarter; Dec 2010: Port Orleans French Quarter; Oct 2008: All Star Movies - Disneymoon; June 2005: Pop Century; July 2004: Offsite; 1993: Contemporary; 1992: DL (offsite); 1991: Offsite; 1989: DL (offsite); 1987: DL (offsite)
ChildAtHeart82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:55 AM   #25
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

I had the same pork dish at AP and was equally underwhelmed. We had our best meal ever at AP in 2009 but were very disappointed this past trip. Hopefully this isn't a trend.

Also hoping today is a better day for you!
- Mom and Son Going Back -Another 10 days of Deluxe Dining 8/25 - 9/5/2011
Mom and Son Eat the World -11 days of Deluxe Dining ~Mom and Son Eat the World Part 2-With Dad this Time

Offsite 1987, 1988, 1990; Grand Floridian - 1991 (Honeymoon); Port Orleans French Quarter - 1993, 1994; Animal Kingdom Lodge - July 2004 (DS's First Trip); Wilderness Lodge - July 2005; Yacht Club - August 2006; Mom & Son Weekend @ Contemporary Resort - April 2007; Port Orleans Riverside - August 2007; Mom & Son Trip to POP - August 2008; Family trip to POP - December 2009; Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel - July 2010; Pop Century - August 2011; AKL/CSR/ASMo - August 2012; Mom & Son Food & Wine Trip to ASMu - November 2012; Mom & Son Trip to Art of Animation - March 2013; Mom & Son Trip to Caribbean Beach - August 2013; Disney Dining Diva Trip at Pop - December 2013
GoofySon'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 02:59 PM   #26
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbg1027 View Post
Sorry the trip got off to a bad start. I hope they will replace the TIW card and not make you buy another.

I had a mixed experience at AP...my entree was really lacking, but I had a wonderful app, dessert, and service.
That was really a huge screw up on the management and/or seater's part to give your server a huge party plus other tables. Not an acceptable practice in any restaurant. But I understand about not even wanting to bother complaining.

Tomorrow will be a new day so the rest of trip should go well!
They made me pay $50 to replace it. I should have gotten a new one instead but I wasn't thinking.

At least today is going better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildAtHeart82 View Post
I'm sorry you had such a rough start. I hope it gets better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofySon'sMom View Post
I had the same pork dish at AP and was equally underwhelmed. We had our best meal ever at AP in 2009 but were very disappointed this past trip. Hopefully this isn't a trend.

Also hoping today is a better day for you!
My husband and I ate here in 2008 and had a bad time too. I ate here in May with a friend of mine and it was great! Seems mixed to me :/. Hopefully the next time you get to go its amazing!
Old 10-22-2011, 04:29 PM   #27
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Cafe Rix

Breakfast this morning was at Cafe Rix. We thought it would be quick and easy before heading to Animal Kingdom where I got to talk with Guest Services and my husband purchase his ticket.

He went with the Bacon, Egg & Cheese Croissant

He said it was ok. He didn't like that the cheese was folded within the egg.

Nothing really caught my eye & I really wanted a cupcake I had seen in the Disney Food Blog at Ak so I just went with a plain Croissant.

It was alright.

We headed to Animal Kingdom.

Well - the bakery wasn't selling their cupcakes yet so no Cottontop Tamarin Cupcake for me.

I did find someone celebrating F&W at Animal Kingdom thought...

We were quickly done with AK. We realized we didn't want to stick around for our Yak & Yeti reservation and decided to head somewhere else.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:00 PM   #28
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Beaches and Cream

After Animal Kingdom, we debated on where we would be headed - Hollywood Studios or EPCOT. I decided to put off deciding & lets each lunch at Beaches & Cream since he had never been and its between the two places!

We got there right after 11AM & were immediately seated at one of the round tables.

I went for a Vanilla Ice Cream Soda.

Amazing! I loved it.

My husband went for a Root Beer Float.

He loves them & it had been over a year since he last had a float so he was happy.

As for meals, my husband went for the Cheeseburger.

He liked how the bun didn't immediately fall apart like the last burger he had at Disney did.

I went for the All Beef Hot Dog - Add Cheese and Add Bacon

I think I found something that competes with what I get from Five Guys on rare occasion. It filled me up to the point where I didn't really touch my fries.

We will return there as all our food was great!
Old 10-22-2011, 05:21 PM   #29
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Food & Wine Booths

After our lunch, we decided to head to EPCOT to walk off our lunch and see if there was anything we really wanted to wait in crazy Saturday lines for.

We had now been on vacation for almost a full day & still hadn't had any alcohol. I wanted to fix that! I was going to stop by France but the line was insane so we skipped that.

Our next stop was Belgium.

We selected the Godiva Iced Coffee & the Truffles

We liked the truffles for the price (only $1.75) and I enjoyed my coffee.

My husband got excited by the Mimosa in Morocco and he wanted to have that.

He enjoyed it. Hopefully, the more he has stuff like that, the more he'll branch into other wines.

Next on our stop was the Fife & Drum stand in America. I wanted my Jim Beam Red Stag Frozen Lemonade.

Loved the non-frozen version last year & love the frozen version this year!

Our last booth we visited was the Cheese Booth.

I went for the Cheese Fondue.

I really enjoyed it. I know its swiss cheese/white wine based so I can see why some people might not like it but it was perfect for me.

I had wanted to go visit the Ditch and get some tequila but the pavilion was insanely overpacked. We fought the crowds out of the World Showcase - we visited Club Cool to get some samples. Well, China was out completely. I was also shocked by another drink that was out.

I guess people enjoyed playing pranks on their friends a bit too much.

After visiting Figment & Captain EO, I was about done with the crowds and we headed back to the resort.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:51 PM   #30
janabananas
DIS Veteran

Subbing. We are going in 10 days for F&W so I am excited to see more pics.

We are also going in Jan. for our anniversary and making a special meal out of AP. I hope the svc and food improve. Dbf is looking forward to the buffalo, and I am looking forward to the mushroom soup.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: