Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2011, 11:41 PM   #1
TheHundredth
Mouseketeer

Videoing in the World? I have questions

ok. i want to make a family vacation video. like the typical vacation documentary.

but i have questions.

what rides can you have video cameras on?

has anyone done this? if so any tips?

i've never videoed ANYTHING before. odd to say but true. i just want to make a video as this will (sadly) be my last trip to WDW before i go to college and i need something to remember it by.
TheHundredth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 02:31 AM   #2
baseballmickey
DDC #644

You can videotape just about anywhere. There are only a handful of places you can't. My advice is: unless you hear them tell you not to videotape, then go for it. And don't confuse the restrictions like "no external video lighting" and "no flash photography" with no photography or video at all. That's not the same.

Tips: bring extra batteries/some way to charge your camera. Depending how much your camera can store, consider bringing a laptop to dump your video on to at the end of the day. I don't know what kind of camera you are using, but make sure you know how to use it. Consider bringing a tripod, something small and lightweight. You won't want to use it all the time, but it's good for parades, fireworks, and shows where you are sitting/standing for a while. If your camera has "manual focus" than learn how to switch between that and auto focus. This will mostly be useful at night and inside dark rides and shows. In the dark situations, while in auto focus, zoom in to the tightest (most zoomed) shot you think you will use, let the camera focus, and then switch it to manual focus. This will allow you to keep your focus set as the lighting changes around you. Also in dark rides/shows, if the camera has a flip screen, don't use it. Using the viewfinder is more polite to those around you, and it saves you battery power. When walking around, or on rides, stay wide (zoomed out), this will make things less shaky, and you'll miss less. If you are taping and want to pan around, do so nice and smoothly (unless you know you will edit it out)... you don't want people to get sick watching it later. On thrill rides or anything where your camera could fall, make sure you have it secured to yourself somehow so you don't lose it. On the losing it note, you might want to tape yourself saying your name/number/address so if you do lose the camera, your information is recorded.

The rest is planning. If you have ideas, write them down to remind yourself. Try to position yourself so you can not only shoot what's going on, but your family and their reactions as well. Don't shoot your family just posing for pictures with characters or in front of attractions. IT'S VIDEO! DO SOMETHING!! Wave, dance, goof around, etc. Always be ready to record.

And always make sure you know if you are recording or not. Make a mental note to verify this each time. The worst thing is thinking you are recording when you are not, and recording the inside of your bag for an hour because you thought you stopped recording, but you actually started. This happens to me at least once a trip.

Most of all. Shoot as much as you can, and have fun!! Don't forget you to be part of the vacation as well! I hope some of this helps. Have a great time!

Numerous Trips as a kid from 1974-1993. WDWCP MK Custodial Spring '94. Off Property, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001. Land/Sea @ ASMR/Wonder 2002. CBR 2003. POR 2006. Off Property 2007. DVC @ SSR since 2007.. SSR 2008, 2009.. BWV March 2010. SSR December 2010.
BLT/DCL Dream/BCV July/August 2012. AKL/Vero July 2013. runDisney OKW Jan 2014. SSR/Vero/Pop July 2014. runDisney AoA Nov 2014.
DISDad #644
I'm Going Away... FOREVER! Oh, Great! Could You Get Me a Sandwich? A TR Interrupted
My First Trip Report - Escape from New York, Dec 26, 2010 - Jan 1, 2011 - COMPLETED!
Our Disney Blog: "Home is Where the Mouse is"

Treguna Mekoides and Trecorum Satis Dee
baseballmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-04-2011, 11:48 AM   #3
TheHundredth
Mouseketeer

way to answer every question!

im gonna be using a kodak playsport camera. the thing is awesome. waterproof up to 10 feet deep and impact resistant up to a 12 foot drop. it works like a flip camera only it uses removable sd memory instead of internal memory. so i will have SEVERAL SD cards.

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE HELP!
TheHundredth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:28 PM   #4
twooley2
DIS Veteran

we video taped and took lots of pics my daughter made a video and put music to it and it and once we uploaded to you tube it was o.k. to do but when we tried to put it on Facebook they said no way because the songs belonged to other artist. I am not sure how others get away with it. I see it done all the time too.
twooley2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
family, video, videography

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: