Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2012, 10:03 AM   #1291
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Hi Mary Ellen! Sorry I've missed the last couple of updates. Things have been crazy here and I haven't been on the DIS much. I'm all caught up now and I love your AK pictures! Even if you couldn't find the animatronic sleeping lion.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:41 PM   #1292
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

Great safari pictures - tell Nick he did a good job! I always think we're going too fast to get good ones. Unless a Rhino is in the road! Once we had a giraffe walk in front of us.

Lost on Safari is my kind of drink. I will be getting one next time I go to AK.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2012, 03:03 PM   #1293
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.

Koodos to Nick for some great shots! That rhino had some fun in the mud earlier. I think they are just so cool.

I would have been mesmerized by the hippo also. It's almost a good thing they don't have many seats on the trails because I would just sit and gaze forever sometimes. Well, sometimes I do anyway...

That Jungle Juice is so delicous

I also have a gold fish that I'm quite attached to, name of Geraldine, she's about 3 years old. And I did cry when another one died. I don't know what it is, I'm just a big softy.

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14, AKV/BCV 10/14
Old 02-22-2012, 03:34 PM   #1294
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnbu40 View Post
Nick did a nice job with the safari pics
Thanks! I love the way Nick's pictures turned out and I loved that I sat back and relaxed and put my obsession with the camera away for awhile!

Quote:
Lily is so cute! We've never seen her so I hope we catch a glimpse of her on our trip
I so hope you guys find her. I'm so glad I asked a CM where she was. I may have walked right by her because she was pretty far back from the edge of the trail.

Quote:
Sounds like you were having a great day!
It was such a fun day! I'm glad we decided to open and close the park. I've never done that before and it was the perfect day to do it.

Have an awesome trip Dawn & Caitlin!!!!!! 24 hours from now! Woo Hoo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekathepony View Post
Those fish in with the hippos are called African cichlids and they're surprisingly easy to keep, if you get a good mix! They're freshwater and tropical. Pretty neat, I have some (google Ps. Acei "Tanzania Black") I call my purple puppies, they act like puppies and will chase me around the tank and jump out of the water for food, nibble my hands when I'm doing maintenance. They just had 17 babies too
Goldfish can have a really long life span I think, like 10-15 years! They're so hardy too, and can deal with bacteria blooms (and the preceding ammonia spike!) better than some fish.
That is so interesting. They are such beautiful fish. That's what I need - an easy fish to take care of. So cute that they act like that when its time to be fed and I can't believe they had THAT many babies.

How big is your tank? I only have a 20 gal starter tank. I got it for Nick originally, but he lost interest. I did a lot of reading to learn how to maintain. It actually took my tank about 6 weeks to cycle originally because I bought the gold fish and THEN read about cycling. DOH! I would change my water every three days because the ammonia spikes were so bad. But I kept all 3 goldfish alive a long time. The smaller ones just died in the last year. I read that goldfish need something like 5 - 10 galloons of water each. Is that true.

Quote:
Anyway, I'm finished hijacking your thread now!
Totally NOT a hijack because I am very interested in fish and I would like to add one or two to my tank. Any suggestions what I should buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
Tell Nick that he did a great job on the safari pics! I love it when you go on the safari and there are lots of animals roaming around. Oh and don't feel bad about not getting a good lion or lioness picture. I haven't gotten one yet.
Thanks. I will tell him. I thought the variety of animals was really good. I know I've not taken any pictures of warthogs that were that close before.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who keeps missing the lion. Epic fail!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
Awww, you got to see Lily! Apparently, on our last trip, she wasn't out and about so we didn't get to see her. She looks so cute!
She is adorable. I saw her in May 2010 when she was a baby and its so cool to see her as she grows. Its really one of the things I love about Disney. To so many people she is just another gorilla, but to me she is Lilly and I will always check in on her whenever I am there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Hi Mary Ellen! Sorry I've missed the last couple of updates. Things have been crazy here and I haven't been on the DIS much. I'm all caught up now and I love your AK pictures! Even if you couldn't find the animatronic sleeping lion.
No worries Mark. I know from FB that you have had a lot going on. I hope Julie's mom is recuperating. I didn't do much FB today.

That is totally what they need - an animatronic lion! Splendid idea. You need to contact someone at AK and tell them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
Great safari pictures - tell Nick he did a good job! I always think we're going too fast to get good ones. Unless a Rhino is in the road! Once we had a giraffe walk in front of us.
Thanks! I am very proud of Nick's pictures. He did good!

That was probably pretty cool to have to stop for a giraffe. I wonder if a drive has ever accidently hit an animal. It seems like it could happen. I wouldn't want to be a driver. It doesn't look as easy as some of the other Disney jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
Lost on Safari is my kind of drink. I will be getting one next time I go to AK.
It is quite yummy. Definitely gets my seal of approval!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkocto View Post
Koodos to Nick for some great shots! That rhino had some fun in the mud earlier. I think they are just so cool.
Thanks! I am so pleased with Nick's shots. I really didn't even do much cropping. Pretty much just edited color!

Quote:
I would have been mesmerized by the hippo also. It's almost a good thing they don't have many seats on the trails because I would just sit and gaze forever sometimes. Well, sometimes I do anyway...
Yeah - I hear ya! I could have hung out watching that hippo forever. I wonder how long he actually continued doing the same circle? It was really cool.

Quote:
That Jungle Juice is so delicous
Especially with a little Captain Morgans and white rum!

Quote:
I also have a gold fish that I'm quite attached to, name of Geraldine, she's about 3 years old. And I did cry when another one died. I don't know what it is, I'm just a big softy.
It's just sad when they die because I swear mine gets all excited when I go over to feed him. I never named him because I was certain his was going to die in the first two weeks and I didn't want to get attached. I guess its probably too late to name him now.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 02-22-2012, 04:05 PM   #1295
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
That is so interesting. They are such beautiful fish. That's what I need - an easy fish to take care of. So cute that they act like that when its time to be fed and I can't believe they had THAT many babies.

How big is your tank? I only have a 20 gal starter tank. I got it for Nick originally, but he lost interest. I did a lot of reading to learn how to maintain. It actually took my tank about 6 weeks to cycle originally because I bought the gold fish and THEN read about cycling. DOH! I would change my water every three days because the ammonia spikes were so bad. But I kept all 3 goldfish alive a long time. The smaller ones just died in the last year. I read that goldfish need something like 5 - 10 galloons of water each. Is that true.
17 babies is actually pretty low for these guys, it was this mom's first time. Usually they have 20-50 but I have one female who has 90-100 every two months!

I have a 20 gallon (guppies), 30 gallon (baby fish) and 55 gallon (my Africans) freshwater and a 32 gallon and a 50 gallon saltwater. lmao, I love it. I had fish for probably 8 years before I learned about the ammonia cycle, so you're way ahead of me! Hahaha, of course I was 8 years old when I first got fish and there was no internet!
Old 02-22-2012, 08:24 PM   #1296
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
17 babies is actually pretty low for these guys, it was this mom's first time. Usually they have 20-50 but I have one female who has 90-100 every two months!
90- 100 babies! What do you do with them? Do you sell them to a fish store. How fascinating that must be to see baby fish born every month or so. Wow! Great hobby!

Quote:
I have a 20 gallon (guppies), 30 gallon (baby fish) and 55 gallon (my Africans) freshwater and a 32 gallon and a 50 gallon saltwater. lmao, I love it. I had fish for probably 8 years before I learned about the ammonia cycle, so you're way ahead of me! Hahaha, of course I was 8 years old when I first got fish and there was no internet!
That is quite the array of tanks. Very cool!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 02-22-2012, 08:45 PM   #1297
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Yes, I agree -- Nick did a great job taking pictures!

Did you see on the news recently that a couple gorillas escaped from their enclosure at a zoo? After seeing those big boys along the Pangani trail, could you imagine that?

What that hippo was doing, swimming up to the window and then disappearing, sounded really cool. Kudos to you for moving along so others could see....I hate it when people hog the spot at the window for a long time.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:24 PM   #1298
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

We had a rhino do that on the safari once too! We got all backed up as well because no one could drive past.

I will have to try that drink you got. I love jungle juice! I also like *ahem* libations with some kick.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:02 PM   #1299
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Yes, I agree -- Nick did a great job taking pictures!
Thanks! I love the pictures he took. I think I will give him more photography duties in June! Maybe Nick can be my personal photopass guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Did you see on the news recently that a couple gorillas escaped from their enclosure at a zoo? After seeing those big boys along the Pangani trail, could you imagine that?
OMG! That would be SO scary. I can't even imagine coming face to face with a real live gorilla! Yikes! I'm actually surprised they don't lose any animals at AK. That must be a hell of an inventory every day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartDDuck View Post
We had a rhino do that on the safari once too! We got all backed up as well because no one could drive past.
That was just the craziest thing. I guess the rhinos don't really care, which is a good thing because I would hate to anger one of them! That would NOT be good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartDDuck View Post
I will have to try that drink you got. I love jungle juice! I also like *ahem* libations with some kick.
This was a nice drink, but I read on that Party in the Parks website that the Harambe Cooler is the one that really packs a punch because its made with African star rum. I guess that's some strong, dark rum. I think I may need to try that next time!

Old 02-23-2012, 04:09 PM   #1300
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123

OMG! That would be SO scary. I can't even imagine coming face to face with a real live gorilla! Yikes! I'm actually surprised they don't lose any animals at AK. That must be a hell of an inventory every day!
How many people would approach the gorilla wanting a picture and thinking it was someone in costume! YIKES! Oh well, you can't idiot-proof the world!

DL - 1967 | WDW - 1973 (Orlando) | WDW - 1980 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1985 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1997 (Contemporary) | WDW - 2007 (Old Key West)
DVC - May2010 - OKW | Nov-Dec2010 - AKV/BWV | May2012 - BLT/VWL | Sep2012 - Aulani (30th anniversary) | Dec2012 - Aulani (DD honeymoon) | Oct2013 - BCV | Jun2014 - BWV | Oct2014 - DCL/BCV | Aug2015 - DCL Alaska | Dec2015 - BWV

The "Don't mess with the CMs/take less photos TR" Jun14 @ BWV
Oct13-BCV - MNSSHP, F&W, Wild Africa Trek
Sep12-Aulani - Sharks, horses, a submarine scooter, luau & Mickey
May12-BLT/VWL - Don't tell Mickey! It's NOT a bug's life! That's a dolphin's WHAT? Where's the ER? Is that a body? Seaworld, Discovery Cove, IoA, Space Center
Nov/Dec10-AKV/BWV - Backstage Magic Tour; V&A; Lots of pics and video
May10-OKW - DDP cost analysis; Wishes Dessert Party; Fantasmic
Old 02-23-2012, 04:34 PM   #1301
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintstickets View Post
How many people would approach the gorilla wanting a picture and thinking it was someone in costume! YIKES! Oh well, you can't idiot-proof the world!

The thought of that freaks me out even more! Hopefully it wouldn't take them too long to figure out it was one very, very realistic costume!

Old 02-23-2012, 04:37 PM   #1302
Poolrat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Tell me about it. That LOS just tasted so good and I was so thirsty. It went down much too easily and when I stood up I was like....Woooooooo!
EXACTLY

Quote:
I'm so glad we had no immediate plans so I could just sit and chill. I was so disabled I didn't even get up and dance with the African dancers!
After 2 quickly I would be so disabled I WOULD get up and dance with the African dancers.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL
Can't wait to go back
Old 02-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #1303
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
EXACTLY
Not one of my finest moments of judgment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
After 2 quickly I would be so disabled I WOULD get up and dance with the African dancers.
I wanted to get up but that was when the drinks really hit my head all at once and I thought it would be wise if I just stayed put! Once the alcohol leveled off a bit the dancers were done.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:59 AM   #1304
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

Quote:
90- 100 babies! What do you do with them? Do you sell them to a fish store. How fascinating that must be to see baby fish born every month or so. Wow! Great hobby!
That is quite the array of tanks. Very cool!
Sometimes if I get desperate, more often though I just advertise them for sale online and they sell very fast. Having new tiny babies every few months is fascinating, definitely one of my favourite parts of the hobby.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:10 AM   #1305
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Sometimes if I get desperate, more often though I just advertise them for sale online and they sell very fast. Having new tiny babies every few months is fascinating, definitely one of my favourite parts of the hobby.
I bet. That really is so cool. I think you may have posted some pictures of them in your TR. I'll have to go back and look at your fish pictures! I remember they were quite nice!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: