Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2012, 11:50 PM   #1111
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
I didn't mean that to come across as bashing at all, I think it can totally make sense for some folks and agree completely, they are yours and you should absolutely do as you please! For us it wouldn't make sense. If I look at our 4 nighter, it'd be 704 points. Beyond the fact that even with banking and borrowing I don't have that many, once I add in the change free it's about a wash. I do include MF though when looking at total per point cost. However, if I had the points available and hadn't planned other trips I'd have zero issues with using them! And if you weren't looking at peak seasons, etc I can definitely see where it might work much better for certain cruises. I would definitely explore the concept of partial usage in the future. I think you can do that, one person or whatever on points and some with cash. I know for a fact that we will likely do RCI trades at some point and most people bash that as well.
No no no, I didn't feel you were doing that at all. I really meant totally different threads. I guess I assumed Mary Ellen was looking at the points charts and I was just saying using points can save money on cruises too. I can see it working either way.

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14
Old 02-04-2012, 12:02 AM   #1112
Pinkocto

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Soooooooooooooooooo - I talked to the Denster about future plans and he is totally on board with a cruise in 2013 followed by a DVC stay! But more importantly, he says he is willing to consider a late November/early December trip to WDW before our AP expires.

Where's that EASY button! Don't forget - you saw it here first! Woo Hoo!

Nick is at the Sixers/Miami Heat game now, so we are watching it on TV just in case we catch a glimpse of him. His GF bought the tickets for his Xmas present.
Double excellent news!!!!

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-04-2012, 06:03 AM   #1113
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
I think since you posted that Denny agreed to your plan then it's a done deal! We read it on the DIS!
I agree! AND I told him that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post

I hope they still have pomegranate lemonade at OKW in October! I will be ALL OVER that!!! I'll have to bring something special to mix in...
It makes an excellent mixer, but I also have to recommend the turtle crawl at the Gurgling Suitcase. That was hands-down one of my favorite drinks at WDW. It's tropical with just the right amount of sweet and the right amount of adult beverage. I can't stand a drink that is all calories and sugar but no alcohol. This was perfect - you MUST try it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicket's Mom View Post
Wohoo for the cruise & future trips in the upcoming yeat & the next!
I used to be OK with just one trip planned, but now I feel like I "must" have two or three trips planned. I think its the DVC points. I am always trying to decide what to do next. It's a disease, that's for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicket's Mom View Post
Wohoo for the cruise & future trips in the upcoming yeat & the next!
I totally have to hit Denny when he is in the right mood. The funny thing is I have no idea when that's going to be. You can't tell from his outside mood. You just have to go for it and see what kind of response you get. It's always a mystery! I think when Denny starts dreaming of his retirement his mood improves tremendously!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkocto View Post
No no no, I didn't feel you were doing that at all. I really meant totally different threads. I guess I assumed Mary Ellen was looking at the points charts and I was just saying using points can save money on cruises too. I can see it working either way.
I am waiting for my break even point. I should go back and calculate out how much I would have spent on reservations vs. how much I have spent on my contracts and annual dues. Then I would have a better idea if I have broken even yet. I think I have a few more years to go. I do like that I have seen the rack rates increase on all the rooms which is what I wanted to see when I bought DVC. Not that I want people to pay more for rooms. I just want to see that I am getting more value for my DVC dollar which is one of the DVC selling points.

Quote:
Double excellent news!!!!
I'm so glad Denny is on board for the cruise. And if I can get another trip out of my AP I will be happy. Of course, I will have to borrow points for that trip so I don't want to do anything too soon. I've used all my 2012 points for the treehouse, BWV, and the girl's trip in October. I don't want to borrow points yet for December, but I sure wouldn't mind a couple nights at VWL!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW

Last edited by MEK; 02-04-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:02 AM   #1114
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

You know, even after all these years, I don't think I have EVER seen the backside of Bo! I had no idea he had a handkerchief in his back pocket! Love that Nick posed with him as well!
Old 02-04-2012, 08:40 AM   #1115
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
You know, even after all these years, I don't think I have EVER seen the backside of Bo! I had no idea he had a handkerchief in his back pocket! Love that Nick posed with him as well!
I'm always looking for new angles and I don't recall seeing too many pictures of Bo's backside either.

Nick knew he needed to take on for the team on that shot. I told him it was going right to the DIS boards!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 02-04-2012, 10:53 AM   #1116
Pinkocto

Quote:

I used to be OK with just one trip planned, but now I feel like I "must" have two or three trips planned. I think its the DVC points. I am always trying to decide what to do next. It's a disease, that's for sure!
I'm right there with you. The points changed me! In a fabulous way of course

Quote:

I'm so glad Denny is on board for the cruise. And if I can get another trip out of my AP I will be happy. Of course, I will have to borrow points for that trip so I don't want to do anything too soon. I've used all my 2012 points for the treehouse, BWV, and the girl's trip in October. I don't want to borrow points yet for December, but I sure wouldn't mind a couple nights at VWL!
WL was so beautifully decorated, we thought it felt the most like Christmas.

I will definitely be doing a TR for the cruise. I have to first start the December one

Old 02-04-2012, 11:15 AM   #1117
manntra
DIS Veteran

Love the picture of you and Nick together!
Your pictures of OKW make me wish I stayed there longer than one night
Woo hoo for cruising!!! You will absolutely love it!!! I am dying to go on another one

Tracy
Old 02-04-2012, 12:37 PM   #1118
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Soooooooooooooooooo - I talked to the Denster about future plans and he is totally on board with a cruise in 2013 followed by a DVC stay! But more importantly, he says he is willing to consider a late November/early December trip to WDW before our AP expires.
Woohoo! Glad y'all are planning on a cruise. I tried to talk our crew into that for our trip this May but they wanted to see Harry Potter and swim at DC so we are staying at VWL and gallivanting about Orlando & Kennedy Space Center. I guess we'll survive. Any idea on dates in 2013 yet? DW and I will be at WDW in May for F&G and then Sep or Oct for F&W. Hmmmm...maybe a possible meet up since we missed out at HHI?

DL - 1967 | WDW - 1973 (Orlando) | WDW - 1980 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1985 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1997 (Contemporary) | WDW - 2007 (Old Key West)
DVC - May2010 - OKW | Nov-Dec2010 - AKV/BWV | May2012 - BLT/VWL | Sep2012 - Aulani (30th anniversary) | Dec2012 - Aulani (DD honeymoon) | Oct2013 - BCV | Jun2014 - BWV | Oct2014 - DCL/BCV | Aug2015 - DCL Alaska | Dec2015 - BWV

The "Don't mess with the CMs/take less photos TR" Jun14 @ BWV
Oct13-BCV - MNSSHP, F&W, Wild Africa Trek
Sep12-Aulani - Sharks, horses, a submarine scooter, luau & Mickey
May12-BLT/VWL - Don't tell Mickey! It's NOT a bug's life! That's a dolphin's WHAT? Where's the ER? Is that a body? Seaworld, Discovery Cove, IoA, Space Center
Nov/Dec10-AKV/BWV - Backstage Magic Tour; V&A; Lots of pics and video
May10-OKW - DDP cost analysis; Wishes Dessert Party; Fantasmic
Old 02-04-2012, 05:10 PM   #1119
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm right there with you. The points changed me! In a fabulous way of course

Right on sister!

Quote:

WL was so beautifully decorated, we thought it felt the most like Christmas.
I did get over there one night, but I was disappointed when I had to change my VWL ressie in December. It was a date thing.

Quote:
I will definitely be doing a TR for the cruise. I have to first start the December one
Well what the heck are you waiting for. I am anxious to hear all about it! Can't wait to hear about the cruise too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manntra View Post
Love the picture of you and Nick together!
Thanks! Nick was good about getting his picture taken! He's really alot of fun at Disney world because he loves it and he's flexible!

Quote:
Your pictures of OKW make me wish I stayed there longer than one night

Tracy
Even with the peep hole? The pool area was super nice and I forgot to mention that there is a sauna in that little lighthouse.

Quote:
Woo hoo for cruising!!! You will absolutely love it!!! I am dying to go on another one

Tracy
I think an anniversary cruise in 2013 will be perfect. I am going to book the one that takes place during our anniversary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintstickets View Post
Woohoo! Glad y'all are planning on a cruise. I tried to talk our crew into that for our trip this May but they wanted to see Harry Potter and swim at DC so we are staying at VWL and gallivanting about Orlando & Kennedy Space Center. I guess we'll survive. Any idea on dates in 2013 yet? DW and I will be at WDW in May for F&G and then Sep or Oct for F&W. Hmmmm...maybe a possible meet up since we missed out at HHI?
I tried to talk Nick into a cruise for a graduation present and he didn't want it (that would be spring of 2013). Go figure! I will admit that DC sounds pretty cool except Denny can't swim and I know he wouldn't do the dolphin swim. He hates water unless he can stand with his feet on the bottom (which I'm sure you can), but the idea of anything potentially making him lose his balance is not good.

For 2013 I am thinking of the 4 night dream cruise that leaves october 20th. That would put us in Disney on the 24th until????? Denny's B-day is the 31st so it would be an anniversary/birthday celebration. I just hope it doesn't conflict with any parent's days for whatever school Nick ends up attending. Let's hope that's early in the month. I'm thinking it would be fun to stay at AKL and what's the chance of the grand flo DVC (which isn't really a DVC resort ) being opened then? I would love to spend a couple nights there.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:59 PM   #1120
MEK
DIS Veteran

A Grand Evening!

In my last update we had just spent a relaxing afternoon at the OKW pool! I got some quality hot tub time and some quality adult beverage time while touting the attributes of a HHI stay to some other DVCers.

Back to the room we all got buffed and puffed. I really can't remember what I wore that night because I have no picture of *me*. Oh well.

I think our ADR was at 7:25 at the Cali Grille! I chose this restaurant because I really thought Nick would enjoy it. He loves to eat and has a pretty mature palate. We could have attended the Christmas party on this evening, but I thought the money would be better spent on dinner. Denny and I have attended a sold out Christmas party and, although it was fun, I didn't feel like fighting the crowds. So I thought the best alternative was dinner at the Cali Grille and Wishes from the observation deck.

We arrived at the Contemporary around 6pm and proceeded to enter a long line of traffic to get in. I remember at one point still being out on the main street unable to even enter the parking lot. Once we finally reached the guard he had to find our name on the "list". Fortunately this happened quickly and we were IN!

We cruised up to the monorail

We were on a mission to go visit the Christmas decorations at another resort.

No surprise where that was!

Nick had never been in the GF before (and Denny has only been there once), so they were both suitably impressed with the place.

The Christmas tree was HUGE

Have I seen this girl before on Toddler and Tiaras? Kidding - she is really cute!

I love these decorations. I'm totally into hydrangeas on Christmas trees.

some miscellaneous decorations.....

But what we really came here to see was THIS......

I've seen tons of pictures of the gingerbread house, but this was my first time seeing it in person.

Nick doesn't look too thrilled in this picture.

The line wasn't very long

but I didn't get any treats, although those little gingerbread houses did look pretty cool.

The gingerbread house came complete with its own Santa!

It was around this time that Nick handed me this

to which I replied, "You didn't break that off did you??????" He said he found it on the outside of the house. It reminds me of Melissa's experience with the teenagers who she saw actually rip pieces of gingerbread off the house. I bet that have to repair that thing every night!

Continued in Next Post........

Old 02-04-2012, 06:15 PM   #1121
MEK
DIS Veteran

Continued......

Apparently I was quite fascinated with the santas

and the miniature doll house in the gingerbread house

Oh - and in case you were wondering about the ingredients.....

Moving on from the gingerbread house I took a few more photos

I wandered into one of the shops and sort of lost track of Denny and Nick, but I found some fun garments

Cute shirt, but perhaps I should have straightened it.

When I finally did find Nick and Denny they were outside

I think he was probably texting his GF, being Friday night and all

I tried to take a few outside pics

I like this one

I over edited this one (too late now)

ahhhhh.....much better

Even though it was chilly this pool looked very inviting

I think that's Citricos up there. I am saving that restaurant for a couples trip. I never hear too much about it, but I have been wanting to try it for awhile.

Hello hot tub

I like this one too

Maybe I should post a couple of these on the GF picture thread

I see that Nicholas changed spots

The wall where the *not a DVC resort* is being built

I sure as heck hope I DO get to have some future enjoyment here

With the big barrier being in the way it was hard for me to get any closer to the wedding chapel

Continued in Next Post........

Old 02-04-2012, 06:44 PM   #1122
MEK
DIS Veteran

Continued.......

When I do get a chance to stay at the *not a DVC resort* I will make certain to enjoy this pool

For some reason I felt compelled to bring my camera in the bathroom and take pictures. this is such a pretty BR

And with that final picture we headed back to the monorail and our ADR at the Cali Grille

But we still had a few minutes to explore the Contemporary

Bonus!!!!! There was a high school (I think) choir performing there

They were really quite good but the acoustics in that part of the building were horrendous and I actually felt bad for them having to perform in such a terrible spot

As a musician it is very frustrating to perform when you know the acoustics stink. It's a disservice to the music and to the performers.

But they did have an audience

Because the sound was terrible and the boys lost interest quickly we left to head up to our ADR a few minutes early.

We were taken up the elevator quickly, but told they were running behind about 20 minutes so we took a seat at the bar. And the second my drink arrived our buzzer went off.

I selected this pumpkin martini

As you can see I wasted no time in tasting it!

For apps we had the California Roll and a flatbread. Denny does not eat sushi so Nick and I shared the Cali Roll. Both the roll and the flat bread were delicious.

Yum!

Double yum!

I actually wanted to order both the sushi and the flat bread for my entree, but since we shared I was then faced with the decision on what to order for dinner. This was a tough one because I didn't feel like eating either fish or beef. Odd.

But I had no trouble deciding on a glass on Conundrum which Cynthia and Tracy turned me on to. I this wine

Denny must have been getting into the picture taking when he suggested I take a picture of the bread.

I took all the dinner pictures with my cell, so they are not the best. This picture gives you an idea of where we were seated. We had a bird's eye view of the chefs at work and BOY did they work. They seriously never slowed down.

So what did I finally decide on......

Well - unfortunately there is no description for this on Allearsnet, but it was a vegetable lasagne which was quite good but VERY rich. Our waiter told me that no one ever finishes it, but I sure gave it a try.

This was Denny's entree

Pacific Halibut - with House-Made shrimp dumpling, stir-fry vegetables, Chinese long beans, shiso broth $39

He liked it but said it was a little too salty.

And Nick had

Florida Snapper - dungeness crab risotto, Zellwood corn, snap peas and sauce choron $39

It's possible that I got Nick and Denny's entrees confused because looking back now I'm not sure who had what. Oh well

But Dessert was easy. Nick decided on

S'Mores Valrhona Chocolate Cake - Warm chocolate cake w/molten center, Tahitian vanilla marshmallow, graham cracker sable, and peanut butter gelato $13

I guess the peppermint bark was seasonal.

Dinner was quite enjoyable. We had an awesome waiter, which seems to be the case at the Cali Grille. Seriously good and very professional.

When dinner was finished we had about 15 minutes to wait until it was time for you know what. We headed to the observation deck and enjoyed the night air.

And with that I will leave you one teaser picture

Up Next.....Wishes!

Old 02-04-2012, 06:51 PM   #1123
dawnbu40
DIS Veteran

What a wonderful evening you had! WDW is so beautiful at Christmas! I love all the decorations and your pictures are so lovely

Great update!

Old 02-04-2012, 06:59 PM   #1124
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Whenver I see the Grand Floridian all I can think about is that lady in Philly a couple of years ago who called 911 and said that she had been abducted, but it turned out she ran off to DisneyWorld and was arrested at the Grand Floridian.

Great shot of the MK from Cali Grill...I can't wait to see your Wishes photos.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:04 PM   #1125
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Great evening. The GF is one of my favorite resorts to just wander around. And I love the gingerbread house for sure.

I will definitely be staying there when the *ahem* expansion opens up. But I heard it was confirmed it was a DVC resort already?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: