Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #841
2xcited2sleep
DIS Veteran

While I can't say I'm personally a big fan of the roadtrip, I think turning your summer vacation into a two week adventure sounds AWESOME!!

As always, positively gorgeous pictures with such striking colors! So fun to look through. I'd love to get back there for the holidays sometime. The decorations are so pretty. And experiencing them in the FL sunshine can't hurt!!

Very mysterious block of time between them first setting out and finally arriving at the MK. Good thing you weren't waiting around for them in the villa!

Looks like Nick is getting excited with a grin on his face in the queue.

Thanks for noting you took your HM pics with no flash. Would hate to think you were one of THOSE people...

Old 01-02-2012, 11:42 AM   #842
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

Well, as you know from my last TR, I had sworn off long road trips, but time has a tendancy to make the mind forget about the bad aspect of it and now all I remember is the extra fun we were able to have by taking the car and being able to make multiple stops and set our own schedule - sooooo, I say go for the road trip!!

Your morning sounds fabulous, how awesome that you were able to knock out all three mountains before lunch!

Your pictures are stunning, as always!
Register to remove

Old 01-02-2012, 11:58 AM   #843
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Now - get ready - because in this mega extra long update I decided to do something I have not done before. Yes - that's right - I TOOK PICTURES on BTMRR. I figure if Glennbo can do it, so can I.
Y'all are much braver than I am to take pictures on the ride. I can't hold on and take the picture too! And this is coming from someone that had relatives that owned a traveling circus and midway ride fair so I lived on the ferris wheel, scrambler and tilt-a-whirl when I was younger! Sighhhh....it's sad to get old. How am I going to survive at Universal in May?

Love your TR (as usual). Keep it coming!

DL - 1967 | WDW - 1973 (Orlando) | WDW - 1980 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1985 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1997 (Contemporary) | WDW - 2007 (Old Key West)
DVC - May2010 - OKW | Nov-Dec2010 - AKV/BWV | May2012 - BLT/VWL | Sep2012 - Aulani (30th anniversary) | Dec2012 - Aulani (DD honeymoon) | Oct2013 - BCV | Jun2014 - BWV | Oct2014 - DCL/BCV | Aug2015 - DCL Alaska | Dec2015 - BWV

The "Don't mess with the CMs/take less photos TR" Jun14 @ BWV
Oct13-BCV - MNSSHP, F&W, Wild Africa Trek
Sep12-Aulani - Sharks, horses, a submarine scooter, luau & Mickey
May12-BLT/VWL - Don't tell Mickey! It's NOT a bug's life! That's a dolphin's WHAT? Where's the ER? Is that a body? Seaworld, Discovery Cove, IoA, Space Center
Nov/Dec10-AKV/BWV - Backstage Magic Tour; V&A; Lots of pics and video
May10-OKW - DDP cost analysis; Wishes Dessert Party; Fantasmic
Old 01-02-2012, 02:45 PM   #844
manntra
DIS Veteran

I totally get what you are saying about OKW...it does have that vibe of being an owner and having a carefree vacation. I really liked it there...the space...double beds....everything but the peephole.
What a great start to your trip....glad you didn't wait around for them to finally get ready. Ponchos...bathroom trips.... Pictures of my Florida blue sky Happy that you had some time to walk around and
I am not a fan of afternoon/evening flights either....I think it does give you much more time to worry about what you may have forgotten But we must roll with when we can get the most affordable and sometimes that isn't always the time we want...
I think it is time for an OL...just sayin You would always have your filters.

Tracy
Old 01-02-2012, 03:43 PM   #845
Roxychica7
DIS Veteran

Awesome update!!! It really was a nice beautiful day wasn't it!? Really loving OKW, reminds me of CBR, but kinda BC too. First time staying at that one?

Denny's face is TOO funny on Splash! We did thankfully wear our ponchos on our splash day. The only problem is trying to manuever so that you avoid "wet butt"

Funny that you got stopped on BTMR, but you scored some great pictures!!
Jess (Me)-29 Blake (DF)-28 Our Italian Greyhound and our salt water tank
WHY did you do it? 2010
Upcoming Trip: Pop Century!
Old 01-02-2012, 04:05 PM   #846
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinacaplan View Post
I'll cop to purchasing some Via packets over the last year. They're OK. Like Cynthia said, much better than what passes for coffee at most places in the world.
Good to know that you guys have the same opinion of them. I probably order some off of Amazon the next time I need to make a purchase - and I truly will be doing it for research purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinacaplan View Post

Keurigs everywhere would be awesome! Problem solved.

Disney is making tons of money right now, right???? They should definitely be cutting into those profits and start putting the single cup keurigs in their deluxe resort, don't you think? I would that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9 View Post
Great update! Your 2 week trip sounds great! I would love to drive down to FL someday with Brandon, but right now, I don't want to use up all those extra days driving!
Since we can take extra time off from work I don't mind the idea of driving. I think you need to have at least 10 days off before driving really makes sense. I'm surprised that Denny is on board for a 2 week vacation, so I'm all over that. Even if we decide to fly I am now planning on an extra long vacation.

Quote:

I love your castle pics, I love that view from off to the side too!
I love the view of the castle from the side, too. It's always been one of my favorite views.

Quote:

That BTMRR with the water is amazing!! I tried to take pics while I was on that ride, but it was too dark! I can't believe I ignored it for so long, it's so much fun! Getting stuck sounds a little scary, though!
I totally lucked out on the picture, but I had a feeling it was good the moment I took it.

I don't do any automatic modes when I am inside. I just adjust shutter speed.

Getting stuck was definitely scary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeysmyboy View Post
I think no matter what you do your trip in June will be fabulous! The beach sounds lovely but Charleston is soooo beautiful!
After a couple days to think about it I think staying at Daytona and skipping Charleston would be the best. I really want to go back to Charleston when I go back to HHI and I'd rather have it be when the weather is cooler. Plus, if we decide to fly it will work out better logistically.

Quote:
What a lovely morning you had! Your morning jog at OKW looks so nice and relaxing! I just can imagine how nice it must have been to run along in complete solitude!
I really enjoyed my morning runs. One morning it was actually chilly, so I didn't stop for anything because I would have gotten too cold. It really was a nice place to run and everyone was so nice and would wave and say "hello".

Quote:

Geeze, it took the guys a long time to get to MK! But, anytime spent exploring on your own speed is fabulous! At least to me! LOVE you BTMRR pics! Fabulous job!
I guess with not one, but two trips back to the room and then just missing a bus - well, I'm not surprised it took them that long. Slow pokes.

Quote:

Can't wait for your your lunch and Dis Meet update!
Well, I'm not gonna lie when I tell you I ate so fast I barely remembered to take pictures. So you are going to see half eaten food. The DIS meet was fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15isto2 View Post
I might have missed it but I remember when you took your nephew ?LJ with you that he had a younger brother, did he ever go with you or were you not allowed to have access to the kids again after letting LJ do thrill rides
You've got a good memory! LJ had such a wonderful time on that trip and has not been back since, but this summer the whole family will be joining us at the treehouse villas, so it will be LJ and at least 2 of his brothers. It's going to be crazy! And LJ should be able to get his "thrill ride" on again this trip.

c
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Jill View Post
GREAT photos! Thank you so much for posting them! I miss MK and those helped a lot.
Thanks Disney Jill and welcome. I agree that photos of my happy place really help when I am missing the world. I guess its not surprising that I already can't wait to go back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenofallthings View Post
What a great start to your December trip! Your pictures are gorgeous as per usual I laughed when you mentioned forgetting the coffee filters...I almost did that in August but remembered at the last minute to throw them in!

Hey GF - missed you and glad you're back on the boards again. Well, you've got me beat if you remembered yours. I think I left them on the spare bed with all the christmas stuff that needed to be wrapped and then I threw a quilt over the whole mess. So that's my excuse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenofallthings View Post
What a great start to your December trip! Your pictures are gorgeous as per usual I laughed when you mentioned forgetting the coffee filters...I almost did that in August but remembered at the last minute to throw them in!

Well, it definitely got more overcast as they day wore on, but it was still a lovely day. Heck - our whole 5 days were awesome and not a drop of rain. We lucked out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcited2sleep View Post
While I can't say I'm personally a big fan of the roadtrip, I think turning your summer vacation into a two week adventure sounds AWESOME!!
Well, the beauty of staying at Daytona after Disney (if that's what we decide0, is we can always change our minds and fly. I'm going to keep looking for good air fair, just in case.

Quote:
As always, positively gorgeous pictures with such striking colors! So fun to look through. I'd love to get back there for the holidays sometime. The decorations are so pretty. And experiencing them in the FL sunshine can't hurt!!
thanks. I'm so glad you enjoyed the pictures. The decorations at Christmas really can't be beat. I would like to see them during a less crowded time. say right after T'giving or right after New Years. Just another reason to plan another trip!!!!

Quote:
Very mysterious block of time between them first setting out and finally arriving at the MK. Good thing you weren't waiting around for them in the villa!
With my peeps nothing is surprising. When Nick first texted me that they were leaving I knew they would never get there quickly and I was totally right! shock! They really were good the rest of the trip, so I forgive them.

Quote:
Looks like Nick is getting excited with a grin on his face in the queue.
Nick had a great time this trip. I'm so glad he enjoyed it. He was a lot of fun to be around.

Quote:
Thanks for noting you took your HM pics with no flash. Would hate to think you were one of THOSE people...
I'm not going to lie and say I have never taken a flash picture when I shouldn't have. But I totally know how to use my camera now to the point where I don't need a flash. And if its that dark than its something I don't want a picture of.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 01-02-2012, 04:25 PM   #847
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerGirl View Post
Well, as you know from my last TR, I had sworn off long road trips, but time has a tendancy to make the mind forget about the bad aspect of it and now all I remember is the extra fun we were able to have by taking the car and being able to make multiple stops and set our own schedule - sooooo, I say go for the road trip!!
What was the worst part? Coming home? I do dread the idea of driving home because I usually get a little down when the trip is over. I wouldn't want the post Disney blues to set in on the way home.

How about this - was it easy to manage the mess. Denny is very sloppy and always leaves his trash in the car. That drives me crazy and I hate when things get disorganized.

Quote:
Your morning sounds fabulous, how awesome that you were able to knock out all three mountains before lunch!
I was happy we knocked them out before the lines got long. I think there were a lot of people there who knew nothing about FP, so that really worked in our favor, too.

Quote:

Your pictures are stunning, as always!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintstickets View Post
Y'all are much braver than I am to take pictures on the ride. I can't hold on and take the picture too! And this is coming from someone that had relatives that owned a traveling circus and midway ride fair so I lived on the ferris wheel, scrambler and tilt-a-whirl when I was younger! Sighhhh....it's sad to get old. How am I going to survive at Universal in May?
Holding onto the camera was a little challenging, but as soon as I took I picture I put the camera in my lap and started all over again to make sure I had a nice tight grip. I did not leave it up in the air for any length of time, so that helped.

Universal in May???? Nice! That should be fun. TR????

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintstickets View Post
Love your TR (as usual). Keep it coming!
Thanks. Now that the holidays are over I should be able to do fairly regular updates. I don't want to go too first though. I need something to do between now and June.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manntra View Post
I totally get what you are saying about OKW...it does have that vibe of being an owner and having a carefree vacation. I really liked it there...the space...double beds....everything but the peephole.
I know that in every other resort there are always some people who display a little bit of tension because they are on the hunt for the perfect vacation experience and everything has to be "just so". There was a no-stress vibe at OKW and I really liked that. That was the best part of the resort. For example, you'd go to the bar and a couple would sit at a table and just start up a conversation with the bartender and then sit and read on their computer or book. No rush man!

Everytime I looked at the peephole I cracked up. Thanks!

Quote:
What a great start to your trip....glad you didn't wait around for them to finally get ready. Ponchos...bathroom trips.... Pictures of my Florida blue sky Happy that you had some time to walk around and
I am not a fan of afternoon/evening flights either....I think it does give you much more time to worry about what you may have forgotten But we must roll with when we can get the most affordable and sometimes that isn't always the time we want...
Evening flights do tend to be a bit cheaper, but the major thing was to keep Nick is school that days as long as possible. And it was worth it to be able to have him go on the trip.

Quote:

Tracy
Actually, if I had an OL I could just get one of those one cup keurigs and then my life would be perfect. Wouldn't it surprise Cynthia if I did just that for October?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxychica7 View Post
Awesome update!!! It really was a nice beautiful day wasn't it!? Really loving OKW, reminds me of CBR, but kinda BC too. First time staying at that one?
Yes - first time at OKW and it is very similar to CBR. Very true and I love CBR and that whole beach theme. OKW is a lot more like the mods then the other DVC's are. I think even more so than SSR because OKW seems even bigger than SSR but I may have forgotten since its been a long time since I stayed there.

Quote:

Denny's face is TOO funny on Splash! We did thankfully wear our ponchos on our splash day. The only problem is trying to manuever so that you avoid "wet butt"
Did you look close and see Nick and I in the front seat struggling with our ponchos that looked more like parachutes? We were laughing so hard waiting for the water and it never came.

Quote:

Funny that you got stopped on BTMR, but you scored some great pictures!!
Do you think the ride operator knew I had to get some pictures for the DIS boards? It was perfect timing, that's for sure. ;

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 01-02-2012, 04:32 PM   #848
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Ooo, I really like this one!

Quote:
Now - get ready - because in this mega extra long update I decided to do something I have not done before. Yes - that's right - I TOOK PICTURES on BTMRR. I figure if Glennbo can do it, so can I. So let's see what I got, shall we?

Now, it wasn't so hard was it?

Quote:
Gotta love this one

I DO love this one!

Great job hanging onto your camera.

Oh, your pictures in the Haunted Mansion were really good too.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:47 PM   #849
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Ooo, I really like this one!

There is something so pretty about the reflection of a palm tree in the water!

Quote:

Now, it wasn't so hard was it?
What can I say? You inspired me!

Quote:

I DO love this one!
I love that one. Definitely a keeper!

Quote:
Great job hanging onto your camera.

Oh, your pictures in the Haunted Mansion were really good too.
Thanks!

Just wait until we get to Soarin.......

Old 01-02-2012, 04:47 PM   #850
2xcited2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Actually, if I had an OL I could just get one of those one cup keurigs and then my life would be perfect. Wouldn't it surprise Cynthia if I did just that for October?

Be careful... it's a slippery slope. I my OL but I'm already running out of space and it's just with my own crap. It has become an engineering puzzle to pack that sucker to maxium capacity. And I'm cursing the whole way through it... typically at the last minute.

Can't imagine if I had to store stuff for anyone else!! But must say that not having to worry about toiletries, a poncho, mango rum , a blender , and other "necessities" is a good feeling and has made packing much easier!

Now you have me wondering if I could fit a K cup machine in there...

Old 01-02-2012, 08:18 PM   #851
jenjolt
Loves All Things Disney!

I love the idea of a two week road trip!!! You guys will have a great time!!!

OOOH I loved your HM pictures!!! The lights are so awesome!! The second light picture is in the hallway near the doors that shake and make noise, I believe found right under the picture of the supposed "ghost host." Your bride pictures were also unbelievable!!!!

Loving the holiday decorations!!!! Your pictures are phenomenal!!

My Magical Trips to Disney:6/2012,1/2012,10/2011, 6/2011, 5/2011, 1/2011, 5/2010, 1/2010, 10/2009, 5/2009,
1/2009, 3/2007, 5/2005 , 10/1992: First Trip to Disney (Thanks Dad!)
Old 01-02-2012, 09:36 PM   #852
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't say I am a big fan of the road trip, but we drive more often than we fly. Mostly because of the ridiculous price of air fare. Here's my two cents. Driving for a short trip stinks. We just took a quickie trip to VA and spent two days driving there, two days there, and two days driving back. Do NOT do this!!! It took me two days to recover!

Taking a two week trip with at least two stops is really nice. It's not as fun if you are only stopping for one day though.

Keeping the car neat - the trick is that you keep a bag designated for trash and then every time you stop, you dump your trash. While Dave's filling up the gas tank, I gather any trash, cans/bottles and put them in the trash.

Bring some good music in the car, or audio books. My kids require DVDs, but you probably won't need that!!

Did I comment on how awesome your BTMRR pics are?? If not, I love them!!!
And your HM pics are cool! I cannot take dark pictures - too hard with my camera. Plus I can never decide what I want to do - just relax and enjoy the ride, or try to get good shots!
Old 01-02-2012, 09:56 PM   #853
Wicket's Mom
DIS Veteran

I love the photos of the pointsettias & the decorations. At least this way I get to see what WDW lookd like decorated since I will probably never visit at that time. I hate heavy crowds! I love seeing the way pointsettias are growing as hedges in Florida at my friend's neighborhood.

I want to do a roadtrip to the southwest, but my DH hates long road trips. He also drives too slow for my liking!

Your updating is making me feel guilty, I seriously need to get busy on my TR.

We got one of those Kuerigs for Christmas from our son. It's a pretty big paper weight. I can't drink coffee or hot chocolate & my husbands wants a cheaper cup of coffee! DH took the thing out of the box & used it Christmas so it can't be returned! He agrees it will be useless for us, but didn't want to disappoint our son.
(url)http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3050319
It Was the Best of Times & the Worst, But It Was the Best Trip Evah!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2811518

Last edited by Wicket's Mom; 01-02-2012 at 10:00 PM. Reason: needed to add comment
Old 01-02-2012, 10:48 PM   #854
LilAnn
DIS Veteran

Wow, you got some amazing photos on BTMRR! Impressive in my mind since I think I remember being jostled all over the place. I am bummed that it will be closed while we are there (yes! we are going back this spring!)

I absolutely love seeing all of your photos with the holiday decorations up. So pretty.

Oh, and I may need to go try to look you up on FB at some point if I remember. Jealous of all these people that have seen some of these photos already. I'm impatient, can you tell?
Old 01-02-2012, 11:06 PM   #855
thecapells
Disney Dad

Great update and pics.
I also tried to take pics on my last ride on BTMRR (which by the way was my 2nd ride on it ever - long story).
But surprisingly it wasn't too hard...

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: