Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2012, 10:54 PM   #826
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

Thank you for that lovely holiday escape!! Such pretty pictures! You managed to get some good rides in that morning!!

Thanks also for the OKW info. I think we'd like to be near all the "stuff" since that will probably be our last day or two, and we will be enjoying the resort. If our dang closing ever happens!!! They said it was some weird thing about the seller having to waive the extension offer officially.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:54 PM   #827
KatMark
DIS Veteran

MaryEllen, what a great multi-update.

I noticed that our "welcome mat" at OKW was backwards too. Do you think they do this for a reason???? Yes the bus stop at the HH is the last stop picked up and dropped off. I have to say the buses were ecellent while we were there...we never waited more than 3 or 4 minutes.

Love your photos at MK. It looks pretty darn empty and you got some great shots. I agree with you on the poinsettas...so festive and I love the bright red.

for trying pictures on BTMRR...I have yet to try that.
Register to remove

Old 01-01-2012, 11:27 PM   #828
tinacaplan
DIS Veteran

WOW! You have seriously outdone yourself with these pictures...and you're just getting started. Its great seeing all the decorations for the holidays. I love any moment you can steal at Disneyworld where there are very few people, so I loved your OKW pics. And the poinsettia tower was a sight to behold. I don't think I've ever seen so many in one place in my life. My husband is still laughing about that one.

And Happy New Year, too!
AofA - 2012
SSR - 2012
OKW - 2012

Old 01-02-2012, 02:04 AM   #829
rndmr2
DIS Veteran

Great start to your MK day! That's good you went off on youre own that morning, who knows what time you would have gotten there. I love the Christmas decorations on Main Street USA. That is a big tree, I remember when they used a real tree, it was real when I was there in 89 and there was a sign in front that said what kind of tree it was and where it came from.

Great BTMRR pics, I took a couple on there when I was there last year. I tried to take a couple on the HM but the only one that came out was Madame Leota's head..

8/1985--Days Inn Sand Lake Rd, 8/1987-- Wilson World, 12/1987-- Contemporary, 8/1989-- Caribbean Beach, 12/1989-- Port Orleans (now POFQ), 7/1990-- Caribbean Beach, 6/1991-- Carribbean Beach (Senior Week!), 8/1992-- Port Orleans (Now POFQ), 9/1995--All Star Music, August 1998-- Dixie Landings -Alligator Bayou (now PO Riverside), 7/1999-- All Star Movies, 11/2004-- Pop Century, 5/2010 POR Magnolia Bend, 5/2011 Saratoga Springs Resort
Old 01-02-2012, 06:12 AM   #830
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

I like your summer plans so far -- I think a two-week road trip would be lots of fun.

What a fun Magic Kingdom morning! Love all your pictures, but I especially like the ones you took of all the Christmas decorations! Just gorgeous!
Old 01-02-2012, 06:46 AM   #831
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryAz View Post
Great update. good thing you went on your own in the morning-those boys toook a looong time! Fun pics on BTMR-though i thhink would freak out if it stopped.
I never expected them to get to the park until about 10am, so when Nick texted me at 845am that they were leaving, I was quite surprised. At one point he even sent me a text that said, "on the bus to Epcot". He was hoping I would freak out, but I just took it in stride. It wouldn't surprise me if they went to the wrong park.

I was a little unnerved when it stopped because all I could think about was that BTMRR accident they had in DL several years ago. Not a great feeling, that's for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Teens! K&T are just as bad.

Nick was actually REALLY good the rest of the trip. He is bad when it comes to home, but he did a great job getting up and getting ready this trip. I was pleasantly surprised. But at school - wow - he can procrastinate forever.

Quote:

I have a love/hate relationship with them. In principle they bother me tremendously. This is due to working for Starbucks for for 13 years, many of which they swore up and down they'd NEVER make instant coffee, NEVER make flavored coffee. Playing coffee purist all the way. Quality and marketing aside it really sticks in my craw that they went there. In a big big way. But that's my issue. If they'd never said never, it wouldn't bug me.

Taste wise? It's ok. It is great for cooking with if you are making tiramisu or other things that might call for instant coffee. It has a texture that I don't love but it is certainly a bazillion times better than disney coffee.

Convenience? In many ways, can't be beat. We did take a bunch of it on the cruise, it is great for travel. However you need to remember it's designed for a 6 oz cup so if you do it in a refillable mug, you need 2 packets. It is a bit messy though and easy to spill so just make sure the packet is all the way in the mug.

I still (vastly) prefer brewed coffee but would take Via in a heartbeat over the regular WDW and DCL offerings.

That's interesting that they sold out. I guess they were just looking for another way to make a buck because didn't the vias come out after keurig, but before the finally made K-cups. Maybe it was some type of intermediate step to complete.

I am sort of curious about taste and I do like the convenience factor, so I may try them just for the heck of it. I just wish Disney would put keurigs in all the rooms, but that will never happen for a long time. Then my problem would be solved. I'd just pack a bunch of k-cups!

Quote:
Great great update, I am cracking up over the TV at the gym and the hour + delay to get ponchos and go to the bathroom, so very like what Jeff and the kids would do (and did on our August trip).
I never did go back to the gym because the weather was so perfect for running outdoors and I really enjoyed running there. I knew I would be coming back to lots of treadmill time.

Denny - ugh - he can be worse than Nick. At least when Nick is ready to go he doesn't need to go back to the room. Denny can make 5 trips back for various things. But even he improved vastly over the next several days.

Quote:
Gorgeous gorgeous pictures...I really hope someday I can see it during the holidays.
I hope you get a chance to do that because it really should be seen, at least once, during the holidays. If I go again during the holidays I am going to make sure I have an early morning ADR at CP so I can walk down main street without the morning crowds and congestion. I really need to see it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkocto View Post
Those guys! Girls dont even move that slow!
Let me just say I am SO glad I didn't wait for them. But in their defense it was me who forgot the ponchos originally. I stuck them in the closet and in my excitement to storm the castle, I totally forgot.

Quote:
Let me ask you, did you have to show DH and DS's IDs to prove they live with you or did the CM even ask? I don't know if I messed up when buying ours. Also, how did you find out about the great rate at HHI, I keep meaning to ask.
I did not have to show ID. Now Denny is listed as a DVC owner as well, so perhaps that's all in the computer (at least I would think). But all I had to do was give their names and exact dates of birth. This was the first time I bought an AP for Nicholas, but both Denny and I have had several.

Re: HHI. I knew the girls wanted to go in October and I knew I did not have enough points to cover the stay, so I went on line to see what it would cost through expedia. That's when I saw this phenomenal rate of $188 night starting October 24th. I think that's when off season officially starts down there. Then it became a no brainer. So I called member services to see what their rate was. I seriously thought it was going to be higher than expedia, but it wasn't. Even the person who booked me was shocked at that great rate. I really hope the same thing happens in 2013 when I go back with Denny.

I look at a lot of RCI properties because I am always considering doing an exchange, but I have found that it is often cheaper to just pay their rack rate vs using my points. I figure you probably want a room to be at least $250 before shelling out points. I haven't done the math, but for 30 or so points a night that's what I would like to see minimum. It just made NO sense to spend 32 points on a room I could get for $150.

Quote:
Wonderful update, you got in quite a few rides that morning!
Thanks! I'm pretty pleased I was able to get the big 3 in plus a few others before lunch!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 01-02-2012, 07:21 AM   #832
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Your potential plans for June sound like so much fun!

You definitely got a lot done that morning! Wow! That is strange that the treadmills were facing away from the TV, I've never seen that before. I haven't been on BTMRR in years, but from what I remember, those are some very impressive pictures! I was bouncing and sliding all over the place!
Old 01-02-2012, 07:47 AM   #833
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
Thank you for that lovely holiday escape!! Such pretty pictures! You managed to get some good rides in that morning!!
Glad you liked the pics. I so enjoyed the decorations at the MK and since I'm a poinsettia freak - well I was in my glory.

I am pretty pleased with all the rides I got in before lunch. Worked out great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post

Thanks also for the OKW info. I think we'd like to be near all the "stuff" since that will probably be our last day or two, and we will be enjoying the resort. If our dang closing ever happens!!! They said it was some weird thing about the seller having to waive the extension offer officially.
I think you will like the Hospitality House area, although I bet the area near the turtle shack is nice too. That's another pool with a little snack bar area. I think I took cell phone pictures later during the week during one of my runs.

I hope you get to closing soon. That must be so frustrating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
MaryEllen, what a great multi-update.
Thanks!

Quote:

I noticed that our "welcome mat" at OKW was backwards too. Do you think they do this for a reason???? Yes the bus stop at the HH is the last stop picked up and dropped off. I have to say the buses were ecellent while we were there...we never waited more than 3 or 4 minutes.
I wonder if that you want you to walk outside and think "welcome home" because you are walking out into the "world". I almost switched the mat around, but decided to leave it as is.

I am glad you had great bus service. That was the only time we took the bus so I have nothing for comparison. I did like how quickly we got to MK. That was great.

Quote:

Love your photos at MK. It looks pretty darn empty and you got some great shots. I agree with you on the poinsettas...so festive and I love the bright red.
Thanks! It's funny, because I usually buy a lot of poinsettias for the house, but this year I only bought two probably knowing that I was going to see hundreds at Disney.

Quote:

for trying pictures on BTMRR...I have yet to try that.
It was a little awkward, but kinda fun. Having that impromptu stop definitely helped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinacaplan View Post
WOW! You have seriously outdone yourself with these pictures...and you're just getting started. Its great seeing all the decorations for the holidays. I love any moment you can steal at Disneyworld where there are very few people, so I loved your OKW pics. And the poinsettia tower was a sight to behold. I don't think I've ever seen so many in one place in my life. My husband is still laughing about that one.
Thanks Tina! I really enjoyed taking the holiday pictures. I started off pretty slow with the picture taking. I usually have my camera out before we even hit the departing airport, so I'm glad I made up for not taking any real pictures the first day.

Those poinsettia trees are different, aren't they? My favorite was the display at the bus stop. I love that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinacaplan View Post

And Happy New Year, too!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rndmr2 View Post
Great start to your MK day! That's good you went off on youre own that morning, who knows what time you would have gotten there. I love the Christmas decorations on Main Street USA. That is a big tree, I remember when they used a real tree, it was real when I was there in 89 and there was a sign in front that said what kind of tree it was and where it came from.
There is NO way I could have waited for the boys to get ready. I would have been a crazed lunatic. I knew ahead of time that I had a very low threshold for leaving without them. I just made it seem like it was their idea.

I can't imagine how beautiful the MK must have been with a real tree. I do love real trees, but I totally understand why they go artificial. It makes everything so much easier and visually it is still as stunning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rndmr2 View Post
Great BTMRR pics, I took a couple on there when I was there last year. I tried to take a couple on the HM but the only one that came out was Madame Leota's head..
Usually I do get the madame, but because I was fooling around so much with my shutter speed settings I totally missed her. Well, actually what I got of her wasn't worth posting. I am glad that I figured out my camera well enough to not need a flash for the bride. That was a big accomplishment for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
I like your summer plans so far -- I think a two-week road trip would be lots of fun.
It really is something we have never done before. I think our longest trip to florida was probably 9 or 10 nights. If we do it, I think I'm leaning more towards just staying at Daytona. Charleston was so beautiful in October and I want to be able to walk around and not worry about the heat in June. we'll see.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 01-02-2012, 07:52 AM   #834
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
Your potential plans for June sound like so much fun!
I'm still not completely convinced I can do a road trip with Denny. We tend to get on each others nerves while driving. I don't like the way he drives (too slow) and he doesn't really like the way I drive (too careless and fast according to him) and he tends to be a back seat driver. Plus I hate his music and I really only like to listen to music for short spurts, so having a pair of ear buds in constantly won't work. I like quiet in the car. That's just me. But, I did make it to Tennessee with him so I guess we should try it. I will keep everyone posted as our plans evolve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post

You definitely got a lot done that morning! Wow! That is strange that the treadmills were facing away from the TV, I've never seen that before. I haven't been on BTMRR in years, but from what I remember, those are some very impressive pictures! I was bouncing and sliding all over the place!
I'm happy with all I got done that morning.

I have no idea why the treadmills were positioned that way. They did look outside, which I guess can be mildly entertaining. If I could have worked the treadmill TV things would have been fine, but I'm still glad I ran outside.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:46 AM   #835
tinacaplan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
That's interesting that they sold out. I guess they were just looking for another way to make a buck because didn't the vias come out after keurig, but before the finally made K-cups. Maybe it was some type of intermediate step to complete.

I am sort of curious about taste and I do like the convenience factor, so I may try them just for the heck of it. I just wish Disney would put keurigs in all the rooms, but that will never happen for a long time. Then my problem would be solved. I'd just pack a bunch of k-cups!
I'll cop to purchasing some Via packets over the last year. They're OK. Like Cynthia said, much better than what passes for coffee at most places in the world.

Keurigs everywhere would be awesome! Problem solved.
AofA - 2012
SSR - 2012
OKW - 2012

Old 01-02-2012, 09:02 AM   #836
Nermel9
DIS Veteran

Great update! Your 2 week trip sounds great! I would love to drive down to FL someday with Brandon, but right now, I don't want to use up all those extra days driving!

I love your castle pics, I love that view from off to the side too!

That BTMRR with the water is amazing!! I tried to take pics while I was on that ride, but it was too dark! I can't believe I ignored it for so long, it's so much fun! Getting stuck sounds a little scary, though!

Many family trips offsite~9/08 ASMu~11/09 WL~Disneymoon 5/10 BC~11/10 POR~10/11 WL~12/11 Pop~5/12 BC~11/12 AoA/POR~2/13 AKL/BLT
Old 01-02-2012, 09:21 AM   #837
mickeysmyboy

DIS Veteran

I think no matter what you do your trip in June will be fabulous! The beach sounds lovely but Charleston is soooo beautiful!

What a lovely morning you had! Your morning jog at OKW looks so nice and relaxing! I just can imagine how nice it must have been to run along in complete solitude!

Geeze, it took the guys a long time to get to MK! But, anytime spent exploring on your own speed is fabulous! At least to me! LOVE you BTMRR pics! Fabulous job!

Can't wait for your your lunch and Dis Meet update!
Old 01-02-2012, 09:46 AM   #838
15isto2
DIS Veteran

I might have missed it but I remember when you took your nephew ?LJ with you that he had a younger brother, did he ever go with you or were you not allowed to have access to the kids again after letting LJ do thrill rides

Old 01-02-2012, 10:15 AM   #839
Disney_Jill
DIS Veteran

GREAT photos! Thank you so much for posting them! I miss MK and those helped a lot.
11/10 POP
2/11 POP *Mom got us APs
5/11 ASMo
6/11 SSR *APs are burning a hole in our pockets!
7/11 CBR
10/11 Pop: Food & Wine and 40th Anniversary!!
10/11 Pop: MNSSHP (mother-son trip)
12/11 Bonnet Creek: Mother-daughter Christmas lights trip!!
2/11 CSR: Mother-son birthday trip
6/11 BLT/POR (renewed APs!)
Old 01-02-2012, 10:47 AM   #840
Queenofallthings
DIS Veteran

What a great start to your December trip! Your pictures are gorgeous as per usual I laughed when you mentioned forgetting the coffee filters...I almost did that in August but remembered at the last minute to throw them in!

I can't get over how gorgeous the sky looks in all your pics...nothing like a bright blue FLorida sky morning!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: