Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2011, 10:43 AM   #301
manntra
DIS Veteran

Welcome home Loved your FB updates and pictures. Looks like you had a wonderful time and am looking forward to hearing about your low country adventure. Charleston and the surrounding area is someplace I have always wanted to visit so maybe I will someday make use of some points there

Tracy
Old 10-31-2011, 10:48 AM   #302
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicket's Mom View Post
Have a great time at HH. I love the pics of BG, I've never been there, been to BG in Tampa & liked it. I just can't do the roller coasters that go upside donw. It's the one ride that make sme sick!
We had such a wonderful time at HHI! It was great! Can't wait to tell "ya all" about it!

I'm glad you liked my BG pics. I know you aren't its biggest fan! I have all my W-burg historic district pics edited, so I should be posting them soon.

Quote:
We are leaving Tuesday for Gatlinburg, so need this short trip! Not Disney, but will do for now.
Oh - I bet Gaitlinburg is beautiful this time of year! What a great time to visit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by podsnel View Post
That was all fabulous!! I have always wondered what BG was like....and now I know! Very charming! Like Epcot with rollercoasters (ahh...wouldn't that be great if Epcot would add some coasters! ).

The whole European country theme did remind me a lot of Epcot. It really was a lovely park. If you visit, I definitely recommend late August. The only kids there were from NJ and NY! Great time to visit!

Quote:
And you were very wise to get the locker for your phone- iphone falling 15 feet on Sum of All Thrills, no problem. iphone falling from Alpengeist...not so much!

Your iphone story was the great motivator for me in getting a locker. I kept envisioning you waiting for the park to close and the anticipation of not knowing if they would find your phone. Nope - couldn't take a chance of that happening.

Quote:

So nice to text with you this morning- I am glad you have arrived in HHI safely and are enjoying your time there! I am REALLY looking forward to hearing all about that one! Also so happy the weather is nice for you- I love it there even in the heat and humidity of July & August- but I sure would like to see what it's like in October!
Ellen - it was absolutely gorgeous. Perfect, perfect weather! Warm enough to swim, but cool and comfortable at night. You were so right - the place is so special. I really can't wait to go back. I think I liked it better than Vero simply because there is so much to do on the island. I barely scratched the surface. Originally I was thinking we would go back in two years (me & Denny), but now I think it might be a great place to take Nick for his HS graduation (which is still too far away).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Or, "Where We Are Forced To Go Because Disney Has No Theme Parks in the Mid-Atlantic Region."

Seriously! Disney SHOULD put a theme park in the midatlantic region. Wouldn't that be great????? If only it didn't get so darn cold here in the winter.

Quote:
...what some people do when forced to ride these death machines.

Not think I haven't thought the same thing!

Quote:

Philly style!
Yawh Baby!!!!!

Quote:

No, thanks! You know, that Big Thunder Mountain is a great ride.
That it is!

Quote:
Have an awesome time!
We had such a great time! It was a true road trip. I'm not sure if we saw the same number of cool things you did while on the road, but I did have my first-ever visit to South of the Border. That has to count for something, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lallie View Post
Great pictures from BG. I didn't realize it was so themed. Very cool.
It was very nicely themed. Certainly not your typical Six Flags!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lallie View Post
I hope you are having a fabulous trip.
WE had such a great trip! Couldn't have been any better! So MUCH FUN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessCaitlin View Post
Hi!

I am finally all caught up! I loved your pictures of BG! I went there when I was younger and chickened out on most of the rides

Oh No! You chickened out? That park is beautiful without the rides. Who needs them!

So glad you got caught up. Make sure you come back and read when I update on HHI. Such a cool place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessCaitlin View Post

I hope you are having an amazing time at HHI! I love seeing your Facebook pics
We had such a great time! I loved the last picture I posted before I left. I'll have to upload that to photobucket and post it here. thanks for the reminder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feyrerm View Post
Those pictures of BG bring back so many memories of being there as a kid. Its probably been over 25 years and I think its time to return! Loved the pictures.
Oh - you should definitely return sometime soon! I love places that bring back childhood memories. So glad you liked the pictures. I really rushed through that update. And I still have 200 pics left that I took on my final W-burg day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWGal210 View Post
What a fun day at Busch Gardens!! Looks like a blast!'
It really was a perfect day. Hey - if you can't be at a Disney theme park, then I actually couldn't think of a better place to be!

Quote:
Have a GREAT trip to HHI!! Can't wait to hear all about it!!
HHI was amazing! I definitely recommend it to anyone who loves a Disney resort but also wants to chill at the pool, visit the beach, tour, and do outdoor activities. So much to do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremysdisneymom View Post
Busch Gardens looks like lots of fun! I have always wanted to give them a try.
It is really fun! I definitely recommend late August as the time to visit. I was there in June and it was crowded. Late August was absolutely perfect. Can't wait to go back.

Quote:
Sorry I missed you send off! Hope you are having a great time!
Thanks! We had an absolutely great time. I am so excited to tell everyone about my stay. I wish I could start right now, but I must be patient and finish the W-burg trip!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW

Last edited by MEK; 11-01-2011 at 08:16 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-31-2011, 12:32 PM   #303
Poolrat
I am alive, sometimes I wonder too!
I probably would be glued to the side

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
We had such a great time! It was a true road trip. I'm not sure if we saw the same number of cool things you did while on the road, but I did have my first-ever visit to South of the Border. That has to count for something, right?
Can't wait to hear all about that part.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL Feb '15 -AKVK May '15 EEC- July'15 Big Birthday blowout ............ Can't wait to go back
Old 10-31-2011, 12:56 PM   #304
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rndmr2 View Post
Recently found this new TR and just got up to date (thanks to the links!!)
rndmr2! I'm glad the links were helpful in getting you up to date and you really didn't miss that much!!!!

Quote:
Loved your BG pics, it really is a pretty park. I was there a couple times as a kid, last time when I graduated HS (20 years ago OMG!!) so a lot has changed since I was there.
It's so cool how many people who are subbed to this TR have visited BG. I guess its a good location and the fact that it is such a pretty park is a huge draw!

Quote:
One thing that was there then was that Pompeii ride, it was pretty new then if I remember right and my Dad and I went on it. I remmeber it was just my parents and my grandmom and I and my dad said he and I had to go on all the rides since we didn't have any kids with us to go on them and my mom and Grandmom certainly weren't going to, LOL. The one we didn't do (and I think one of the only things still there now) was the Loch Ness Monster...back then and even now I just can't do upside down
That Popeii ride is cool - especially if you are a kid. I rode it years ago, but now I am just too adult to get wet!

I used to be scared to death to do upside down rides, but now I like them. I think they are less scary once you are actually on the ride. Watching the ride is the scary part!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnbu40 View Post
Glad to hear you're having a wonderful time! I'm enjoying the Facebook updates!
HHI was such a great place! I recommend it to every DISer who needs a beach vacation. It's perfect! Glad you enjoyed the FB updates, which was mostly pictures of booze, I think!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkocto View Post
Sounds like such fun! Glad you're having a great time
It was SO fun! I can't wait to tell you all about it. I'm really glad we went. I know I originally wanted to go to F&W, but this was so unique. No regrets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
Yay -- glad you are having a great time! Hopefully Shadow will be cooperative before you have to leave.
I got pictures of Shadow on my first full days, but then she snubbed me. She was at the window where you sign up for all the rec things and when I started making a fuss over her, she turned her back on me. Whad up with that?

Quote:
Welcome home!!!

Thanks!

Quote:

You're going to make me homesick, aren't you?
I don't know - well, yeah, probably. Although I think you got through Michelle's Charleston TR OK.

Quote:
Ah, I am so glad you fell in love with Charleston! I may be biased but it has a charm and grace that I have never found anywhere else. I was so fortunate to grow up there, and I would move back in a heartbeat if they paid their teachers more.
It truly was the most beautiful city I have ever toured. The houses are phenomenal. There is so much detail everywhere you look. I so wish I had $, because if I did I would buy one of those houses in a heartbeat. Absolutely amazing. I can't wait to go back with Denny because there is so much more I want to do. AND - I told him I now want to retire there instead of Florida. I knew I would. I'm a sucker for old historic houses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
Welcome back!!! I'm glad you had a great trip!
I can't say it enough - I loved it there!!!!! I think you guys would like it. You are foodies and there were so many wonderful places to eat everywhere we went.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 10-31-2011, 02:12 PM   #305
mickeysmyboy

DIS Veteran

Welcome home MEK!! Can't wait to hear all about your trip!!
Old 10-31-2011, 07:06 PM   #306
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanzUnited99 View Post
I'm glad you had a great trip and am looking forward to hearing all about it!
It was so great! I can't wait to start writing about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9 View Post
Welcome home, sounds like you had a great trip!
We had such a fantastic trip. I miss it already and can't wait to get back!!!!

Quote:

Loved the Busch Gardens update, I can't tell you how many family vacations I took there when I was a kid! The Loch Ness Monster was my first upside down roller coaster! Escape to Pompeii had just opened one year we were there and we waited in such a long line to go on it!
You and everyone else. I am so amazed how many people vacationed there. I didn't go there until I had kids. I feel so deprived. I can't imagine waiting in a long line to drenched! No dollar store poncho will save you from that.

Quote:

I love roller coasters, but I might have skipped that Griffon coaster too, that looks terrifying!
Doesn't it????? They took down the big bad wolf and I think they must be building some type of launch coaster in its place. Ummm...No thanks. I liked the wolf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintstickets View Post
So glad y'all had a great time. I can't wait for your TR and all the details. Hopefully what happened at HHI won't stay at HHI!

Oh - it totally won't stay at HHI! Or Charleston Or Savannah, for that matter.

Did you know the sign leaving the island says "Y'all come back"? I really hope you can reschedule your visit. It was a great island. I loved it. I can't wait to go back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norybell View Post
Can't wait to hear all about HHI! I loved the Busch Gardens update -- it's always nice to hear about one "dark side" or another!
I'm glad you enjoyed hearing about BG. It was a fun day. And HHI - I can't say enough good things about it. It was so much fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeysmyboy View Post
The cruise looks and sounds fabulous!!! LOVE IT! I honestly think itís pretty funny that lack of power cancelled the ghost tour!! I think that picture is an orb!! I watch a lot of ghost shows!!! I think thatís what it is!!

I know - please tell me why they couldn't have that tour without electricity???? We could have all held candles. Well, if you are up to date on ghost lore, then I will trust you that it was an orb. A tried so hard for another orb in Savannah, but no go.

Quote:

Sounds like an enjoyable day at Busch Gardens! I love the pic of your reflection in the phone booth! I think that should be called a hidden MEK!
A hidden MEK - I like that! Especially because I was definitely hidden in this TR. Very few pictures of MEK! I promise I will get more in December.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Welcome back, MEK. I can't wait to hear all about it.
Thanks Kathy! Good to be home, but I can't wait to go back. And I promise -you will hear all about it!

Old 10-31-2011, 07:35 PM   #307
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
I think you are only 4 pages back.
Somehow I doubt that. I am probably 10 pages back. I need to get caught up!

Quote:

As for coasters if I feel safe and tighly fastened in I am OK. I am always pulling the shoulder harness on RnR down for just one more click.
I do that too! but every once in awhile I push it down so hard that I can't move and I can barely breathe! I hate that!

Quote:
Glad you had a great trip and we are here when you get settled and can share.
It was a great trip. I know there are a lot of DISers out there that would love HHI. What a great place!

Quote:
I feel the same way about work this morning. I think it is the thought of the kids being all hyper because it is Halloween.
I never thought about it before, but today is probably NOT the best day to be a teaching. Too many hyper kids and too much tempting candy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxychica7 View Post

University Park? That's where I lived Junior and Senior year. It was nice, had a lot of space since it has a 2x2 floor plan or a 4x4 floor plan. 2 people to a bathroom with the 4x4..each has a full size kitchen and living room. Although, I think Seagull Square is like that now too, it's just actually on campus instead of the 1 mile away. Ack! Well good luck on his decision, I know UD has a great biology program there too!
Yes - that's it. University Park. I thought Seagull Square looked like a great place to live but he said the security there is crazy. Supposedly its very tight - worse than the regular dorms. But it sounds wonderful.

Today Brian texted me and told me he wants to get mail in his box. I thought that was so cute. Who would have ever thought he would want something that wasn't electronic.

Quote:
Welcome home!! I'm glad you had a great time!!
Thank you! A fabulous time was had by all!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilAnn View Post
Welcome back from your trip! Can't wait to hear all about it and see all of the amazing pictures.
Thanks. I can't wait to writing about HHI. I am so excited to share it with everyone. It was such a great vacation!

Quote:
Now back to my thoughts from your last update....

The William & Mary bookstore - looks exactly the same as when I went there years ago. I think I might still have an old W&M tee shirt somewhere that my friend got me.

nehi drinks - loved those as a kid. My favorite was the nehi grape - kind of like grape Fanta.
That was one nice bookstore. I really enjoyed looking around in there. Great marketing!

I really feel like I'm missing out on the whole nehi thing. I bet they are yummy. If I ever see them again I will have to try one!

Quote:
Alpengeist - absolutely loved that roller coaster when it came out! I remember back in the day when it was the tallest inverted coaster at the time and the line to sit in the front row was insanely long.

Miss the Big Bad Wolf ride too. I loved how it went through the trees and swung you from side to side.
Wow - hard to believe it was once so state of the art. Not that its not a great ride, but coasters have really advance so much! I don't think we went front row, but it would have been a perfect opportunity to do so. We were so spoiled that we just didn't feel like waiting that long. I guess we probably missed a great opportunity.

I loved the BBW. I remember riding it at night over and over again and it was so fun in the dark. I loved the creepy night time theme. It was so fun.

Quote:
Welcome Home! It sounds like you had a great time. I can't wait to read all about it.
Thanks! We had such a good time! I can't wait to get to writing all about it. I took a TON of pics so I have a lot of editing ahead of me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manntra View Post
Welcome home Loved your FB updates and pictures. Looks like you had a wonderful time and am looking forward to hearing about your low country adventure. Charleston and the surrounding area is someplace I have always wanted to visit so maybe I will someday make use of some points there

Tracy
Glad you enjoyed my FB updates! Lots of great food and fun drinks. You would love it there. The resort was awesome and Savannah and Charleston were so fun! It would honestly be a great place for a big DIS town meet. Plus - the member rate I got for most of my stay was astounding. $150 night for a 2BR. How can you beat that?

Quote:
Can't wait to hear all about that part.
I think when I post the pictures they will speak for themselves.

Quote:
Welcome home MEK!! Can't wait to hear all about your trip!!
Thanks Melissa! I can't wait to tell you all about it. I know you guys live near the beach so its probably not that exciting for you, but I LOVED it! I really can't wait to go back!

Old 10-31-2011, 08:40 PM   #308
Wicket's Mom
DIS Veteran

The one thing that I miss at BG is the brewery tour! They used to give free samples of all of the different types of beer!

I believe that Disney was going to build a new theme park in the east. It was to be at Gettysborg or Williamsburg, I can't remember. Anyway there was such a stink raised by preservationists because it would have been built on old battlefields. The idea was dropped by Disney.

Those ghost tours look pretty cool, but I don't know why electric is needed siince they use lanterns to guide the way. When we stayed in the middle of Williamsburg, we would sit on the benches at night & watch the tours go by.
(url)http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3050319
It Was the Best of Times & the Worst, But It Was the Best Trip Evah!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2811518
Old 10-31-2011, 09:13 PM   #309
MEK
DIS Veteran

Never Enough Hours in the Day!

Well - We are Back. I took 1000 pictures and I can't wait to tell you all about HHI, but first we have a little house keeping to take care of. I still have to tell you about my last day in Williamsburg. And I have 200 pictures to go along with that last day, so I better get cracking!

BTW - If I missed any replies, PLEASE let me know. I tried not to miss anyone, but you never know!

So its September 1, 2011 and we woke up to another gorgeous day. I did my last run through the resort, although I certainly didn't feel like it. I was a little stiff and sore from all that walking around Busch Gardens.

Before we checked out of Powhatan I took some final pictures of the resort.

For those that are interested, here is the resort map

I wish that truck hadn't been in front of the building.

Our first stop was the Historic Williamsburg Visitor Center

Truer words were never spoken

Here's another hidden MEK picture

I love topographical map they had outside. Very neat!

The entrance

The visitor center was very nicely done inside

Posters on the wall

We didn't have time to tour historic Williamsburg to any depth so we didn't purchase a ticket. But we did decide to see the movie called......

The last time I was in Williamsburg this movie was free. It's included with admission to the historic area or $3 a ticket.

Before the movie started I did a quick stop in the gift shop.

Here's what wikipedia has to say about the 35 minute film
Williamsburg: the Story of a Patriot, an orientation film produced by Paramount Pictures and the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation in 1957, has the distinction of being the longest-running motion picture in history, having been shown continually in the Colonial Williamsburg Visitor Center for over five decades.
As museum orientation films go, Williamsburg: the Story of a Patriot is a landmark, both because of its high production values and structure. Whereas the usual 35mm flat-screen 1.33:1 ratio cinematography would have been considered extravagant for an orientation film, Williamsburg: the Story of a Patriot was filmed and exhibited in VistaVision, a high definition widescreen process with approximately the same negative size as 35mm still photography. It was a unique VistaVision film in that it was shown with six-channel stereo sound, where as most films in that process were either shown in mono or in Perspecta sound. The music for the film was composed and conducted by Bernard Herrmann, who was at the time best known for scoring several Alfred Hitchcock films shot in VistaVision. Moreover, where previous museum orientation films (and many present day examples) are simple travelogues, with little or no narrative content, Williamsburg: the Story of a Patriot told the story of Virginia's role in American Independence (up to the point of voting to propose independence at the Second Continental Congress), from the point of view of John Fry (played by a young Jack Lord), a fictional Virginia planter elected to the House of Burgesses. While it was filmed almost entirely in and around the Colonial Williamsburg Historic Area, and points out a number of the historic buildings by name, it is overwhelmingly a dramatization of history, rather than a travelogue.

Here's a youtube snippet about the movie

http://youtu.be/A0VXfVhenXQ

And, of course, yours truly took a couple NONFLASH pictures during the movie:

Continued.........

Old 10-31-2011, 09:36 PM   #310
MEK
DIS Veteran

Continued.......

I really enjoyed the movie. After it was over we decided to walk into the historic district and spend about an hour walking around. I love the path that connects the visitor center to the historic district. It is so pretty. Of course, if you purchase a ticket you can ride the shuttle bus instead of walking. But who wants to miss this.

Check it out...... A walk back through time

A tunnel on the path

more path

Continued...........

Old 10-31-2011, 09:58 PM   #311
MEK
DIS Veteran

Continued.......

This is the Governer's Palace, home to seven royal governors, Patrick Henry and Thomas Jefferson.

Here are some reenactors waiting to show us around, but we don't have a ticket.

Other buildings

I think I was probably allowed in here without a ticket, but I really wasn't sure at the time

As the sign said, there are a lot of private residences in historic Williamsburg

The owner of this house was actually outside with a neighbor while I was taking pictures of her lovely residence

The ladies here were so nice. One of them tried to wait for us to join the tour, but we confessed that we did not have an actual ticket

I think she probably would have taken us in anyway. It was tempting! And right then and there I vowed that when I return I definitely tour the Colonial section of Williamsburg first with a ticket!

It was getting pretty hot out and it was definitely past lunch time. I had promised Brian we would stop at Salisbury on the way back and bring him a few things from Walmart that he wanted. We also wanted to stop in Virginia Beach. So we decided to head back to the car.

I know I shot this view on the way in, but it was just as pretty on the way out.

Up Next Virginia Beach and drum roll please........Girls Go Wild In Hilton Head!

Old 10-31-2011, 10:38 PM   #312
Poolrat
I am alive, sometimes I wonder too!
I probably would be glued to the side

What a nice walk down memory lane for me. I realize now that I never watched the movie but we did have tickets so we went in the buildings.

At least the last time we went they had a multi day pass that was good for a year. Perhaps you can make your BG annual pass and your colonial Williamsburg pass go together so you can explore.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL Feb '15 -AKVK May '15 EEC- July'15 Big Birthday blowout ............ Can't wait to go back
Old 11-01-2011, 01:25 AM   #313
rndmr2
DIS Veteran

Beautiful Colonial Williamsburg pics!

8/1985--Days Inn Sand Lake Rd, 8/1987-- Wilson World, 12/1987-- Contemporary, 8/1989-- Caribbean Beach, 12/1989-- Port Orleans (now POFQ), 7/1990-- Caribbean Beach, 6/1991-- Carribbean Beach (Senior Week!), 8/1992-- Port Orleans (Now POFQ), 9/1995--All Star Music, August 1998-- Dixie Landings -Alligator Bayou (now PO Riverside), 7/1999-- All Star Movies, 11/2004-- Pop Century, 5/2010 POR Magnolia Bend, 5/2011 Saratoga Springs Resort
Old 11-01-2011, 06:47 AM   #314
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Beautiful Williamsburg photos. How cool would it be to live in such a pretty place! I especially love the "walk back in time" plates on the ground, how interesting!
Old 11-01-2011, 08:20 AM   #315
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The one thing that I miss at BG is the brewery tour! They used to give free samples of all of the different types of beer!

I took that once and, I agree, it was fun. Plus who can resist free beer samples!

Quote:
I believe that Disney was going to build a new theme park in the east. It was to be at Gettysborg or Williamsburg, I can't remember. Anyway there was such a stink raised by preservationists because it would have been built on old battlefields. The idea was dropped by Disney.
I remember hearing something about that as well, but I didn't know if it was fact or fiction. I do wish that Disney had a theme park in the midatlantic. It would be soooooooo convenient!

Quote:
Those ghost tours look pretty cool, but I don't know why electric is needed siince they use lanterns to guide the way. When we stayed in the middle of Williamsburg, we would sit on the benches at night & watch the tours go by.
Who knows why. It could simply be some sort of safety thing with parking and meeting up for the tour. I bet it was great staying right in the colonial district. I would love that!

Quote:
What a nice walk down memory lane for me. I realize now that I never watched the movie but we did have tickets so we went in the buildings.
And I would think it would take awhile to go in all those buildings. I've barely scratched the surface in both my visits there.

Quote:
At least the last time we went they had a multi day pass that was good for a year. Perhaps you can make your BG annual pass and your colonial Williamsburg pass go together so you can explore.
Actually - buying the year pass is probably a really good idea if you know you are going back within the same calendar year. The annual pass was only a few dollars more than a 2 day pass. Smart!

Quote:
Beautiful Colonial Williamsburg pics!
Thanks! I may have gone a little overboard on the pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
Beautiful Williamsburg photos. How cool would it be to live in such a pretty place! I especially love the "walk back in time" plates on the ground, how interesting!
It would be neat to live in such a cool area, but I don't know if I would like people taking pictures of my property all the time. I guess if you can tolerate that then it wouldn't be so bad.

I really think the whole visitors center is done so nicely and those "back in time" plates are a great touch. They also had them going the opposite direction, but I didn't post those.

Gettysburg is another place that had a gorgeous, brand new visitor center with a lot of nice exhibits. It just opened in the past year.

Last edited by MEK; 11-01-2011 at 08:28 AM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: