Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2011, 10:35 AM   #286
Nermel9
DIS Veteran

Welcome home, sounds like you had a great trip!

Loved the Busch Gardens update, I can't tell you how many family vacations I took there when I was a kid! The Loch Ness Monster was my first upside down roller coaster! Escape to Pompeii had just opened one year we were there and we waited in such a long line to go on it!

I love roller coasters, but I might have skipped that Griffon coaster too, that looks terrifying!

Many family trips offsite~9/08 ASMu~11/09 WL~Disneymoon 5/10 BC~11/10 POR~10/11 WL~12/11 Pop~5/12 BC~11/12 AoA/POR~2/13 AKL/BLT
Old 10-29-2011, 12:37 PM   #287
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
We are Home! Much too short of a trip. I was hoping to come home tomorrow. I had wanted to spend the better part of another day there and stay somewhere on the way home tonight, but the powers to be did not cooperate. So we left HHI around 11am today and got around 10pm tonight.

It was a great trip and I am confident I will get an update in sometime this weekend. My only regret (my usual regret) - was that the trip was much too short. But HHI is so wonderful that I actually considered changing my summer reservation to go back there. Yes - it was that good. I didn't realize how much I would love having the Disney touch while I was out doing other fun things that didn't include traipsing through a theme park. I love the beach. I love nature. I love pretty trees. I love outdoor activities. I love good food. I love nice scenery. I love touring historic places. I got to do all that, and more.

So stay tuned as I make you yearn for a low country vacation.

Here's a special shout out to a few DISers - Jackie (Charleston Princess) for all her wonderful suggestions regarding Charleston. This was truly the most beautiful city I have ever had the pleasure of visiting. How fortunate you are to be a princess from such a fabulous gem of a city. Ellen (Podsnel) for all her wonderful information about the Disney HHI resort, restaurants, activities, and cast members. Ellen said it best when she told me that HHI is "really a special place". And Bill (saintstickets) for sending me a restaurant.com gift certificate that we gratefully enjoyed. Thank you Bill. I am so sorry your plans changed, but I did have both a margarita and a martini for you that evening.
So glad y'all had a great time. I can't wait for your TR and all the details. Hopefully what happened at HHI won't stay at HHI!

DL - 1967 | WDW - 1973 (Orlando) | WDW - 1980 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1985 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1997 (Contemporary) | WDW - 2007 (Old Key West)
DVC - May2010 - OKW | Nov-Dec2010 - AKV/BWV | May2012 - BLT/VWL | Sep2012 - Aulani (30th anniversary) | Dec2012 - Aulani (DD honeymoon) | Oct2013 - BCV | Jun2014 - BWV | Oct2014 - DCL/BCV | Aug2015 - DCL Alaska | Dec2015 - BWV

The "Don't mess with the CMs/take less photos TR" Jun14 @ BWV
Oct13-BCV - MNSSHP, F&W, Wild Africa Trek
Sep12-Aulani - Sharks, horses, a submarine scooter, luau & Mickey
May12-BLT/VWL - Don't tell Mickey! It's NOT a bug's life! That's a dolphin's WHAT? Where's the ER? Is that a body? Seaworld, Discovery Cove, IoA, Space Center
Nov/Dec10-AKV/BWV - Backstage Magic Tour; V&A; Lots of pics and video
May10-OKW - DDP cost analysis; Wishes Dessert Party; Fantasmic
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-29-2011, 01:03 PM   #288
norybell
DIS Veteran

Can't wait to hear all about HHI! I loved the Busch Gardens update -- it's always nice to hear about one "dark side" or another!
DISNEY TRIPS: 1977 - Vacation Villas 1978-1992 - many trips, all Vacation Villas or Treehouse Villas 1996 - Saratoga Springs August 2001 - YC May 2004 - YC April 2009 - YC October 2009 - CR/YC May 2010 - POR/GF/BWI October 2010 - POR/CSR/Poly January 2011 - CBR/WL April 2011 - Pop/GF/BC May 2011 - Disneyland GCH September 2011 - Poly October 2011 - AKL January 2012 - CR February/March 2012 - POFQ/Poly August 2012 - GF/BWI May 2013 - GF/BWV Sept 2013 - BCV Sept 2014 - ???

TRIP REPORTS:Nory Report III: In the Third Person! Nory and Simba CRAWL through the World: A Sept/Oct 2013 PTR Fleeing Wedding Showers for Epcot Flowers It's a SO-LO trip report!

Old 10-29-2011, 06:06 PM   #289
mickeysmyboy

DIS Veteran

The cruise looks and sounds fabulous!!! LOVE IT! I honestly think itís pretty funny that lack of power cancelled the ghost tour!! I think that picture is an orb!! I watch a lot of ghost shows!!! I think thatís what it is!!

Sounds like an enjoyable day at Busch Gardens! I love the pic of your reflection in the phone booth! I think that should be called a hidden MEK!
Old 10-29-2011, 06:15 PM   #290
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Welcome back, MEK. I can't wait to hear all about it.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:12 PM   #291
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxychica7 View Post
Great update of BG! My very first upside down roller coaster was Alpengeist on a band trip in 2000! When we moved to VA Beach in 2009, we got a 1 year 2 park season pass. BG is a beautiful park, they get rated every year as one of the most beautiful landscaped parks..in the springtime their tulips and lillies are outstanding. Blake's family lives about 25 mins from BG, and they say Griffon isn't as bad as Apollo's Chariot, but I have riden Lochness and it's not that bad at all and I'm totally not a roller coaster rider! We would go sometimes just to do the Celtic Show and walk the park, it's just a great park overall!
I find it hard to believe that Griffon is not as bad as Apollo's chariot, but I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion. that statement does give me hope that I may someday work up the courage to try it. I saw there was some dinner celtic show which looked pretty neat. I bet the spring is beautiful there.

Quote:

I hope you girls have a blast in HH!! We lived about 3 miles from the VA Beach oceanfront before we moved back to Maryland so I'm interested in what all you saw there!
We had a fantastic time. Great trip! Loved it! Can't say enough good things about the whole area.

I am actually still editing my VA Beach pictures. I need to get moving on that.

Quote:
BTW...Salisbury today..OMG, Seagull Square is HUGE!! The bookstore was open today for parents weekend and I stocked up on new tshirts, looks like Nike picked them up and they had an awesome selection! Have a great trip!!
I'm so glad you had such a nice visit to Salisbury. Seagull Square is very pretty, although Brian told me he wants to live at the other place - university ??? I forget the name now. Of course, tonight I got a random text from him telling me he was going to apply to UD for a possible transfer there next year. I think there is a part of him itching to go to a bigger school. And what can I say, UD is cheaper. Brian changes his mind at the drop of a hat, so we shall see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartDDuck View Post
That's very cool that you started to really look into coasters. I've never been on a B&M that I didn't like either. Apollo's Chariot is basically a replica of Raging Bull, which is at Six Flags Great America (which is the park in Chicagoland that I worked at). While I worked there, we did the commercial shoot for the ride, and I rode it 68 times in one day! Talk about an experience. But it's still on of my favorites. I got to meet some of the individuals that worked for B&M because I also worked the media day. It was very cool.
I can not imagine riding a coaster 68 times in one day. WOW! What did you average - 10 rides per hour. That sounds like such a cool experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartDDuck View Post

Most coasters, B&M included, can be identified by their track. It's like a signature. If you compare the track of all the B&M's that you know, they're all the same or similar. It's how the companies identify themselves I guess. Yup, I'm a dork.
All the B&M looping coasters are that I have ridden are definitely similar. I can usually tell those, but I'm not so great at identifying the other coasters. I should update my coaster reading! Not a dork at all. It's physics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
The Dis ate my other reply.

I am a roller coaster geek. I am not well versed but the whole engineering of them fascinate me.

Oh No! I hate when I lose a reply! Pat - just tell me - am I ten pages behind on your TR?

I know you are a roller coaster queen! I agree - the whole science behind a coaster is so amazing. It's so cool to defy gravity, yet not fall out! That whole thing is so cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post

ME- have a safe, wonderful, restful trip.
It was a fabulous trip. Not necessarily restful, but definitely more relaxing than some Disney trips I've taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydog View Post
Okay I got here I am here! At least I get to send you off!!! HHI YAY! We were there for ONE night in Late January, I can imagine how quaint it will be in nice fall weather! ENJOY!!!
It was wonderful and the weather was absolutely fabulous. As soon as we got out of the car on the island it was instant summer. Just perfect. I really can't wait to go back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkocto View Post
What a fun fun day at BG! I can't do the jerky coaster either, but I really love the others.
There is nothing like a nice smooth coaster with lots of speed and flips! Love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkocto View Post

Have a fabulous trip at HHI!!! I know I don't need to say this, but take lots of photos for us
I don't even want to tell you how many pictures I took. Close to 1000. I spent yesterday cleaning up my hard drive so I could download them. WE had a marvelous trip. It was perfect and I highly recommend it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
One of my students was actually telling me about the Pompeii ride on Friday, so it was funny to see your pictures so soon afterwards!
That is a coincidence. You did note, however, that I did not go anywhere near that ride (except to take pictures). I just wasn't up for a shower in the middle of the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
Happy travels today!!!
Thanks. We had such a great time and thank you again for all your suggestions. We did not get to eat at Hyman's because we were all the way down by the battery park at lunch time. But you saw we got Kaminiski's on the way back, which was a huge hit. All I can say is - I am definitely going back to Charleston and I WILL eat at Hyman's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenofallthings View Post
Great update! Jasmine has always wanted to do Busch Gardens or a Six Flags, but we never have...I know once she sees this update, she'll be on me again

Oh my - Jas definitely needs a theme park visit. What is closest to you? How about Cedar Point? That place looks crazy! BG really was beautiful. Maybe you could build Tampa BG into one of your future trips. Of course, if you do you east coast tour BG and W-burg will be waiting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenofallthings View Post

I hope you have the most wonderful time in HHI!!! We'll be thinking of you and awaiting all your pictures and stories when you get home....be safe!
We had a wonderful time! I took way too many pictures and I have so much editing to do, but I promise to get going soon! It was an excellent trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinacaplan View Post
Even your phone pictures come out pretty good! I'm sure you're on the road by now, but have a wonderful trip and needless to say, we'll be here to hear all about it when you get back!
Thanks Tina! I was really working the phone that day. We had a great time in HHI and the south! It was wonderful and I can't wait to tell you all about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanzUnited99 View Post
I have fallen a bit behind so am catching up. Hope you are having a lovely time at HHI Mary Ellen - can't wait to hear all about it!

I had an absolutely stellar time. I can't wait to write all about it. I think I found my new retirement spot. It was that good!

Quote:

Love that you got the beets salad and enjoyed it as well. Great shopping pics and yay on Disney following you. I have to admit I have never heard of Nehi soft drinks

I love beets and beet salads. Denny grows the most fabulous beets every year. They are so incredible. I eat beet salads whenever I can. I had never heard of Nehi sodas either, but apparently Denny remembers them from his childhood, so they have been around for quite awhile.

Quote:

Great photos of Busch Gardens! Oh no on BG's version of Soarin' - doesn't sound good.

Glad you liked the pics. As far as Flying over Europe or whatever it was called. Let's just say it would be a good attraction to get out of the heat.

Quote:

Yummy candy pics and I at the phone booth pics - hilarious!!
The candy choices were quite good and I was so surprised they had phone booths, despite the fact that they were missing the phone.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 10-30-2011, 09:22 PM   #292
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlezar View Post
Wishing you safe travels and a fantastic time in HHI!!
Thanks! We did have a fantastic time! Even the drive wasn't horrible!

Quote:
I have to say that we love BG. It's definitely not Disney but it's great to have season passes and it's only 45 miles from driveway to parking lot! We don't do a full day unless someone's visiting. We get there at opening and are out by 2 or 3 and only hit what we want.
I would love to be that close to a major theme park. I would really enjoy being able to go to BG so frequently. I definitely think a lot of AP people came in at night because the crowds went way up.

Quote:
Europe in the Air ~ my gf and I both said it was BG's version of Soarin' ~ it's ok and my 5 yr old LOVES it so we end up on it every visit.

Alpengeist & Lochness ~ I can do them if I'm towards the front. Generally the back half I feel like I'm thrown around too much.

Apollo & Griffon ~ No problems sitting anywhere. LOVE the hang time on Griffon! I've done the front row, I've done the entire ride hands up (just to freak out my sister, LOL) and I prefer 2nd or 3rd row because first row is way too much wind ~ this is gonna sound ridiculous, but I feel like my eyelids are "fluttering" if that makes any sense!
Yes Europe is just OK. I would do it again, but not wait in a line for it. I don't enjoy being in the back of coasters either. I'll actually ask to be move. Yes - I am a wimp!

I can't imagine hands-up on Griffon, so kudos to you! If I ever work up the nerve for it, my eyes will probably be closed tight during the hand time. That would freak me out. Eyelids fluttering - I can picture that happening.

Quote:
Did you do Mach Tower? I love the Mix It Up show (in Italy), Pet Shenanigans show and Das Festhaus is definitely a fave restaurant on the rare occasion we eat at the park.

I did NOT do Mach Tower. I really don't like those dropping rides. I can do ToT because of the drop sequences and the great theming, but I have never liked straight down drops.

The Mix it up show was great and I totally missed the pet show. bummer!

Quote:
I know you said it was low crowds when you went and there were only 2 of you, so it may not have been anything you'd notice, but I hate that BG doesn't have someone directing people to rows on the coasters ~ not so much Griffin, but the other ones. It's irritating to be in a group and switching spots with other people so everyone ends up on the same ride. Too many empty seats too.
Oh - I totally noticed it and its a big complaint I have about the park. They need someone to queue the lines. There should never be empty seats on a coaster. It didn't affect us because of the low crowds, but its just silly and unnecessary!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 10-30-2011, 09:24 PM   #293
MEK
DIS Veteran

Sorry I have to stop with replies now. I am way tired. I never did get an update in because I (1) could not get my pictures to download yesterday, so it took me a bunch of time to troubleshot and (2) I went to see my parents today and give my dad his flu shot. Now I have to get ready for returning to work tomorrow. Yuck!

Be back with replies tomorrow!

Old 10-30-2011, 09:37 PM   #294
Poolrat
I am alive, sometimes I wonder too!
I probably would be glued to the side

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Oh No! I hate when I lose a reply! Pat - just tell me - am I ten pages behind on your TR?

I know you are a roller coaster queen! I agree - the whole science behind a coaster is so amazing. It's so cool to defy gravity, yet not fall out! That whole thing is so cool.
I think you are only 4 pages back.

As for coasters if I feel safe and tighly fastened in I am OK. I am always pulling the shoulder harness on RnR down for just one more click.

Glad you had a great trip and we are here when you get settled and can share.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL
Can't wait to go back
Old 10-31-2011, 05:49 AM   #295
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

I feel the same way about work this morning. I think it is the thought of the kids being all hyper because it is Halloween.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:40 AM   #296
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
Great BG pictures ME! We love that park too. My DH had one of his first real jobs there - I think at Das Festhaus. My MIL and FIL used to make us always go there for lunch! They have a lot of fun shows.
So funny that your DH worked at Das Festhaus! I am drawn to that place, as you can see. It's the beer, I tell ya!

Quote:
I agree - Lochness is Brain Rattling!!! That did it for me. I was in pain the rest of the day.
I was ready for some brain rattling until that CM (or whatever they are called) talked me out of it!

Quote:
Hope you're having a wonderful trip at HHI!! Can't wait to see and hear all about it!
I had such a fabulous time there. I can't wait to go back. If I could leave tomorrow, I would!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
MEK, I hope you have a wonderful time at HH. Will be anxious to hear all about it and see your beautiful pictures.
I had an absolutely wonderful time. It was the perfect combo for me - Disney, outdoor activities, and history. Loved it!

Oh - and I took a TON of pictures - shocking - I know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Great MEGA update on BG, MEK. I remember one thing I didn't like about it was that they opened the park in phases. I was planning to go to the back of the park and work my way toward the front to try to avoid some of the crowds, but their system of opening the park thwarted my efforts. Looks like you were there at a less-busy time, so that must have been nice!
When I was there with the kids they opened it in phases. This time everything opened at the same time. I guess because they opened later. I liked this so much better because I had the same experience as you. And I did not understand their park opening system at all. If I go back to BG it will definitely be during the low season. It was almost like being in a different park. I don't like crowds and confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie826 View Post
Enjoying your TR! I highly suggest the platinum pass from BG. We use it several times a year for BGW and Water Country and love to visit Orlando/Tampa for Sea World and BGT!! I can also tell you why you didn't get the Dark Castle story... When it first opened there was a pre-ride movie that they would show in a little room before you boarded the ride. It gave the whole back story. They no longer show it. I'm not sure why...probably held up the line too much.

Leslie! I was very close to upgrading to the platinum pass. Believe me, I was tempted. But then I realized it would probably be smarter if I waited a year to do it because we are buying new AP's this December. I figured I could wait until next August to purchase it, then when my AP expires I could do an Orlando trip and just visit the Busch parks and do a party at WDW. It really is a good deal and I would like to use it at all their parks! Plus free parking!

Well, I'm glad to know they once had a movie explaining the back story. I'm not as clueless as I thought!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMomAmy View Post
I think I missed you & you are off on your HHI trip! Have a great time! I loved the BG pictures. We went to BG in Tampa last spring & thought it was OK. I rode Sheikra which is very much like Griffon. The hang nearly gave me a heart attack! So scary!
We had a wonderful time. I promise to get started soon, so you should have HHI pictures to look at when you get back!

That's what I'm afraid of - the hang. I think I would be OK with the rest of the ride. But I would definitely have to close my eyes for that hang. And I pity the person who sits in front of me to hear me scream!

Old 10-31-2011, 09:44 AM   #297
Roxychica7
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=MEK;43105606]

I'm so glad you had such a nice visit to Salisbury. Seagull Square is very pretty, although Brian told me he wants to live at the other place - university ??? I forget the name now. Of course, tonight I got a random text from him telling me he was going to apply to UD for a possible transfer there next year. I think there is a part of him itching to go to a bigger school. And what can I say, UD is cheaper. Brian changes his mind at the drop of a hat, so we shall see.

University Park? That's where I lived Junior and Senior year. It was nice, had a lot of space since it has a 2x2 floor plan or a 4x4 floor plan. 2 people to a bathroom with the 4x4..each has a full size kitchen and living room. Although, I think Seagull Square is like that now too, it's just actually on campus instead of the 1 mile away. Ack! Well good luck on his decision, I know UD has a great biology program there too!
Jess (Me)-29 Blake (DF)-28 Our Italian Greyhound and our salt water tank
WHY did you do it? 2010
Upcoming Trip: Pop Century!
Old 10-31-2011, 09:54 AM   #298
DWGal210
DIS Veteran

Welcome home!! I'm glad you had a great time!!
Old 10-31-2011, 10:14 AM   #299
LilAnn
DIS Veteran

Welcome back from your trip! Can't wait to hear all about it and see all of the amazing pictures.

Now back to my thoughts from your last update....

The William & Mary bookstore - looks exactly the same as when I went there years ago. I think I might still have an old W&M tee shirt somewhere that my friend got me.

nehi drinks - loved those as a kid. My favorite was the nehi grape - kind of like grape Fanta.

Alpengeist - absolutely loved that roller coaster when it came out! I remember back in the day when it was the tallest inverted coaster at the time and the line to sit in the front row was insanely long.

Miss the Big Bad Wolf ride too. I loved how it went through the trees and swung you from side to side.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:33 AM   #300
jeremysdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Welcome Home! It sounds like you had a great time. I can't wait to read all about it.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: