Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2011, 12:50 PM   #16
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
Oh, it's gonna be close - can I make page 1?? (YES!!)
I'm totally on board for another TR Mary Ellen!!!
Welcome Sheree!!!!I am so excited that you are here and I'm almost ready to get started with my first real update!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 10-03-2011, 01:23 PM   #17
jenjolt
Loves All Things Disney!

I'm here!! Can't wait to hear all about your trips!!!!

My Magical Trips to Disney:6/2012,1/2012,10/2011, 6/2011, 5/2011, 1/2011, 5/2010, 1/2010, 10/2009, 5/2009,
1/2009, 3/2007, 5/2005 , 10/1992: First Trip to Disney (Thanks Dad!)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2011, 01:27 PM   #18
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

I'm here! I need to read yet though.
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
Old 10-03-2011, 01:44 PM   #19
mickeysmyboy

DIS Veteran

Here, here, here!! I have to go back and read the intro but I'm here!!!
Old 10-03-2011, 01:52 PM   #20
Wicket's Mom
DIS Veteran

Wow! Page two already! I need to start reading. Just got an IPhone & have been playing with that!

I gotta get busy.
(url)http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3050319
It Was the Best of Times & the Worst, But It Was the Best Trip Evah!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2811518
Old 10-03-2011, 01:55 PM   #21
amazingact21
Upendi

I'm joining in! This sounds like it's going to be a great TR(s)
1998 DoubleTree /2003 Offsite /2003 Offsite /2004 Offsite /2004 Offsite /2010 Shades of Green/2011 All Star Sports/2011 Disney Magic/Pop/2012 ASSp/2012 ASMo/2012 Day Trip/2013 Pop/2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge

Current Reports: Why, My Little Guppy Has Groupies!- A December 2013 TR
Past Reports:December 2013 PTR/May 2012 TR/May 2012 PTR /May 2011 TR /December 2010 TR
Old 10-03-2011, 03:20 PM   #22
Moira222
Can't get enough of the Magic & Pixie Dust!

Hi MEK - glad I found this at the beginning or I'd never be able to keep up. I'm looking forward to your tripping esp Williamsburg, as its high on my "to do " list - but not sure my 8 YO is ready for it.

MEN
Old 10-03-2011, 05:18 PM   #23
DMGeurts
Never open texts with the "Hand Sewn Button" attachment!!!

This looks like it's going to be a fun TR... Hope you don't mind if I tag along.

D~
Old 10-03-2011, 06:22 PM   #24
mickeysmyboy

DIS Veteran

I read the intro! I think this will be fabulous!! I can't wait to hear all about Williamsburg, HHI and your trip in Dec!!
Old 10-03-2011, 06:34 PM   #25
2xcited2sleep
DIS Veteran

Can't wait to hear about your adventures!

Old 10-03-2011, 06:39 PM   #26
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

I'm here!!!! Can't wait to read more!!
Old 10-03-2011, 07:43 PM   #27
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

You knew I'd be here!

Don't know about this though. Since DW and I will be at HHI the same time you and your girlfriends are there, does this mean we become part of the TR or does what happens in HHI....stay in HHI?

DL - 1967 | WDW - 1973 (Orlando) | WDW - 1980 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1985 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1997 (Contemporary) | WDW - 2007 (Old Key West)
DVC - May2010 - OKW | Nov-Dec2010 - AKV/BWV | May2012 - BLT/VWL | Sep2012 - Aulani (30th anniversary) | Dec2012 - Aulani (DD honeymoon) | Oct2013 - BCV | Jun2014 - BWV | Oct2014 - DCL/BCV | Aug2015 - DCL Alaska | Dec2015 - BWV

The "Don't mess with the CMs/take less photos TR" Jun14 @ BWV
Oct13-BCV - MNSSHP, F&W, Wild Africa Trek
Sep12-Aulani - Sharks, horses, a submarine scooter, luau & Mickey
May12-BLT/VWL - Don't tell Mickey! It's NOT a bug's life! That's a dolphin's WHAT? Where's the ER? Is that a body? Seaworld, Discovery Cove, IoA, Space Center
Nov/Dec10-AKV/BWV - Backstage Magic Tour; V&A; Lots of pics and video
May10-OKW - DDP cost analysis; Wishes Dessert Party; Fantasmic
Old 10-03-2011, 08:24 PM   #28
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjolt View Post
I'm here!! Can't wait to hear all about your trips!!!!
Welcome Jen!!!!So happy to have you here because hopefully we are sharing a visit at some trips further down in the queue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookelizabeth View Post
I'm here! I need to read yet though.
Welcome Brook!Thanks so much for stopping by! So four months until your next trip? Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeysmyboy View Post
Here, here, here!! I have to go back and read the intro but I'm here!!!
Welcome Melissa! I am so glad you stopped by and I even happier that you are back on the boards after being MIA for the summer!
I wish our December trips overlapped. Almost!

[/COLOR]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicket's Mom View Post
Wow! Page two already! I need to start reading. Just got an IPhone & have been playing with that!

I gotta get busy.
Welcome Doris! I'm so glad you stopped by. Did you start your TR yet???? I didn't miss the start, did I?

Do you love your iphone? Isn't it great! Enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingact21 View Post
I'm joining in! This sounds like it's going to be a great TR(s)
Welcome amazingact! Thanks so much for joining in! I see you have another trip coming up in a couple weeks, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moira222 View Post
Hi MEK - glad I found this at the beginning or I'd never be able to keep up. I'm looking forward to your tripping esp Williamsburg, as its high on my "to do " list - but not sure my 8 YO is ready for it.

MEN
From one Mary Ellen to another.....Welcome! Thanks so much for joining in. I know what you mean about having to get in on the beginning. That's I am with alot of trip reports. If its too far gone I'll never catch up.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 10-03-2011, 08:41 PM   #29
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMGeurts View Post
This looks like it's going to be a fun TR... Hope you don't mind if I tag along.

D~
Welcome DMGeurts!Do I mind if you tag along - heck I am thrilled you are here!!! Thanks for joining in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeysmyboy View Post
I read the intro! I think this will be fabulous!! I can't wait to hear all about Williamsburg, HHI and your trip in Dec!!
I'm glad you liked the intro. I still can't believe our timing is off and we won't see each other. But you know what I always say - FOOD & WINE 2012!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcited2sleep View Post
Can't wait to hear about your adventures!
Welcome C!!! I'm so glad to have you joining in! Just like Melissa, I'm disappointed I won't see you this October but ......NEXT YEAR!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
I'm here!!!! Can't wait to read more!!
Welcome Stringbean! It's definitely NOT a trip report without you here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintstickets View Post
You knew I'd be here!

Don't know about this though. Since DW and I will be at HHI the same time you and your girlfriends are there, does this mean we become part of the TR or does what happens in HHI....stay in HHI?
Welcome Bill! So happy to have you join in! In response to your question......! You know there has to be a token picture. But only with your approval. I still have to get approval from my GF's to post their pictures. They are not well versed in DIS culture, so I need to break them in slowly. KWIM?

Old 10-03-2011, 09:10 PM   #30
MEK
DIS Veteran

So How Did These Trips All Happen?

The Williamsburg trip was actually the last trip placed in the queue, even though it was the first one to happen. So – I’ll get to the twist and turns of that one in a minute.

But First……The HHI Trip……..

Beginning about 18 months ago I had told 3 of my GF’s that I wanted to do a girl’s trip in honor of our boys graduating highschool. Since all four of our boys went to school together (and have been together for quite a while), I thought it would be fun for all four moms to get together. Well, I could never get one mom to completely commit to a girl’s trip, but the other two moms were in.

Our original plan – May 2011! Let me say that again only louder – MAY 2011! Of course, that obviously didn’t happen. One mom said she couldn’t possible miss her son running track in the state meet and we could never quite negotiate a replacement date. So, I suggested we plan for fall of 2011 when the boys would (hopefully) all be away at college. Yes – we have other kids at home, but just getting my first one off to college is a big deal for me. I pray every day that he does well in his studies, because he certainly loves being there.

So, once we agreed on a time frame, we needed to agree on a location. At the time I hadn’t purchased a second DVC contract so my available points were limited. I offered the ladies 3 nights in a studio at OKW or standard view AKL. I figured two studios would work out well if all four of us were traveling. I really didn’t have enough points for a 2BR and I thought a 1 BR would be awkward. My plan was to stay at a regular resort for another couple of days.

As an alternate, I suggested we do 2 studios at Vero Beach for 3 nights and do a night at Disney at the beginning and the end of the trip. We wouldn’t need a park ticket, but we could purchase a hard ticket to the Halloween party and maybe go see La Nouba.

My last suggestion (and the one I was least interested in at the time) was Hilton Head. I told them I could cover two nights in a 2BR but we would have to split the balance.

Well, my GF’s said they wanted the cheapest trip, so Hilton Head was the winner. When I started fooling around with Hilton Head dates and rates I found out the it was 36 points a night midweek through the whole month of October. However, I found a killer expedia rate of $188/night/plus tax for the last week of October starting 10/24. Seriously??? WOW!!!!!

So I called member services to find out what the member rate was for those same nights. And are you ready for this?????? $150/night/plus tax. Say what? Even the cast member couldn’t believe it. So, I paid for the first night (the higher rate night) with points and paid for the second night in cash (no brainer) and the balance is due on check-in. My GF’s are basically getting the stay for $150/night plus tax. I know – I know – what a great friend I am!

As HHI looms on the horizon I am getting very excited about it. I’ve never driven south of North Carolina and never stepped foot in SC or Georgia, so this is going to be a new experience for me. We have plans for a side trip to Savannah and a return trip through Charleston. Southern Belle cities – Here I come!

Plus, I recently found out Bill (saintstickets) and his wife will also be at HHI the last week of October.

Williamsburg Trip……

My DH, Denny, has been working crazy hours all summer long. Sometimes he just works from home. When I leave, he is on his work computer. When I get home, he is still on the computer. Then at 6pm – conference calls. He originally said he would be completely unable to take any type of summer vacation, but as August rolled around he decided that he would have enough free time to at least take a long weekend. And that long weekend would coincide with the first weekend Brian would be in college, or so we thought. But more on that later.

Here's Denny in May 2010 when we stayed at Villas of Wilderness Lodge. He is on my right.

Anyway - I got the idea of going to New Hampshire, specifically the White Mountains, after I read about DIS Mom Amy’s visit there. Amy lives close enough to the White Mountains to make it a fun day trip. I live, oh at least 8 1/2 hours and 400 plus miles away. That doesn’t sound bad except that if you have ever driven there, or looked at a map, you will see that NH is missing a major east-west route. You either have to drive on slow mountain roads or practically drive to Boston before turning north. It’s not a direct route.

Despite that, I made a reservation. The White Mountains reminds me of my childhood because of all the summer vacations we had there. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that 3 nights in the White Mountains was not going to be enough time. I needed a longer trip and we just didn’t have the time . We had planned to take Nick and his GF with us and Nick would already miss two days of preseason soccer to go away for a long weekend. That, alone, is a major high school sports NO-NO.

(Here's Nick and his younger cousin, LJ, during our 2009 trip to Disney world) But I didn’t care about Nick missing pre season. We didn’t have a summer vacation and I wanted Nick with us. However, I started to think that I needed to shave a couple hundred miles off that route. That’s when I decided Williamsburg would be a nice alternative. There’s plenty to do there, its only 200 plus miles, and I can travel right past Salisbury, Maryland (where Brian goes to school) if need be. Always thinking, I am. Denny was less than thrilled with the Williamsburg idea, but he finally consented. And I found a killer VRBO rental for $360 for 3 nights in a 2BR condo. So it was settled – Williamsburg it was…..Or would Hurricane Irene have other plans????????

Up Next - Hurricane Irene almost puts the kabash on Williamsburg.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: