Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2011, 09:31 PM   #181
Roxychica7
DIS Veteran

Oh Mary Ellen, you plans sound AMAZING!! Hilton Head, AND Savannah AND Charleston?!!?

And the food choices look delicious! Such fantastic options to choose from! Hve you ever seen $40 a day with Rachael Ray? There's an episode I remember of hers of a breakfast spot that always looked good to me..Signe's: Heaven Bound Bakery and Cafe. If I ever get a chance to visit, I've always wanted to stop there and try the blackberry french toast that they spotlight!
http://www.foodnetwork.com/40-a-day/...-sc/index.html
Jess (Me)-29 Blake (DF)-28 Our Italian Greyhound and our salt water tank
WHY did you do it? 2010
Upcoming Trip: Pop Century!

Last edited by Roxychica7; 10-18-2011 at 09:40 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:32 PM   #182
Roxychica7
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Will you guys hate me if I do replies tomorrow and try to start an update tonight?????
Update sounds great to me!!
WHY did you do it? 2010
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-18-2011, 09:44 PM   #183
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.

We are your loyal supporters and will be ok with anything you do

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14, AKV/BCV 10/14, AKV CL 12/14
Old 10-18-2011, 09:53 PM   #184
tinacaplan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Denny says he wants to move north! I think he's out of his mind. My motivation is that everyone who moves south ends up loving it. How can I possibly go wrong by moving south! Right!
NORTH??? That's crazy! I'm from the Northeast and lived here my whole life...we are rude people, the winters suck, and its expensive. So, what's not to love, right? Maybe if the economy ever improves I'll think more seriously about it. Who knows? Sometimes I think I'm so far along in life and then I realize that I still have Max at home for another fourteen years. Then I think about what I was doing fourteen years ago...well, you get the picture.

Quote:
Will you guys hate me if I do replies tomorrow and try to start an update tonight?????
Yes, Mary Ellen. Very much. Kidding, of course...update away!
AofA - 2012
SSR - 2012
OKW - 2012

Old 10-18-2011, 09:58 PM   #185
MEK
DIS Veteran

Got Ghosts? Part I

Here's a few Salisbury pictures I took during parent's weekend:

[

OK - I digress. Back to Williamsburg. Well, actually back to the end of our boat ride on the Miss Hampton II.

I took a few pictures on my new memory card as we headed back to the dock.

At least this coast guard boat didn't have a machine gun on front

Cute tip box on board.

Bye Miss Hampton

After we got back on land I acted on something I had been thinking about for awhile. Ever since we got to the Williamsburg area I started getting the urge to visit Busch Gardens. I guess I am just a sucker for amusement parks, but I started thinking

(1) It shouldn't be crowded.

(2) It would be fun to hit a few thrill rides

(3) the weather is gorgeous

(4) the park is very pretty.

So I went into the small visitor center and asked the gentleman behind the counter if he knew where the closet AAA office was. He found me an address and actually gave me a map (which turned out to be unnecessary since Denny insisted on using the gps)

Walking back to the car I took a picture of this guy

then Denny and I decided to duck into the air and space museum. They were running a special on their Imax films. I think they were charging something like $5 an Imax. We picked out a movie and as we were getting ready to pay, they lady behind the counter informed us that the Imax part of the film was broken. Well, never mind then. I didn't really want to see the film without the Imax working. Apparently Hurricane Irene had somehow knocked out the Imax. go figure!

So we passed on the movie and went to the car. By now it was close to 1pm and we were getting hungry. Being that this was STILL a budget friendly trip, I packed lunch. I was originally hoping to take lunch over to Yorktown to eat, but I decided not to wait. So - we ate in the parking garage. I know, I know - real high class. But it really was a NICE parking garage.

Then Denny insisted we follow the gps (instead of the map) over to the closest AAA which ended up being literally a 1/2 mile off of 64. I went in to purchase us 2 single day tickets to BG. I think I saved about $8. I know its not much, but with the AAA office being that convenient, why the heck not? I think our tickets were $116 total.

BTW - if you are planning a trip to W-burg next summer, check out the Prince George county website Till August 15th they sold a very inexpensive one day ticket to BG that was good until the end of the season. AND - you didn't have to be a VA resident to purchase one. Great deal. But you had to buy the voucher in person. No online orders.

After hitting the local AAA we set our sights on Yorktown. Our first stop was the Yorktown battlefield visitor center. I didn't take any pics in there because the sole purpose of my visit was a bio break. Although - I was quite tempted to buy a 7 day visitors pass for $10. It was good for both Yorktown and Jamestown battlefields. I just didn't think we would make it over to Jamestown the next day because we were now going to BG. And truth be told, at that point I was more interested in seeing the actual town, then the battlefield. Just another reason I want to go back. I want to tour both battlefields on a future trip.

Continued.......

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 10-18-2011, 10:10 PM   #186
Roxychica7
DIS Veteran

SALISBURY!!!

I love it!! The tulips in front of Fulton are SO pretty in the springtime! And MAN OH MAN, look at the Seagull Square! We're talking about visiting SU this weekend, I have to go check it out and get my fill of commons food

Busch Gardens definitely is fun..but Water Country is better! Glad you could at least get some type of discount! As a VA resident we had passes last year and they really are a great value especially with the price of parking, one visit pays for itself! Hoping the park wasn't too crowded!
WHY did you do it? 2010
Old 10-18-2011, 10:13 PM   #187
MEK
DIS Veteran

Here is the Prince George County website if you are interested:
http://www.princegeorgeva.org/

Yorktown has a very pretty little beach area along the river

There were actually quite a few people on the beach. It really was a perfect late summer day.

This path was beside the beach and the river

I read in trip advisor that this "biker bar" was supposed to have good food. Believe me, I was tempted to pop in there for a beer, but I really wanted to see the water front

Another interesting looking restaurant complete with a distant relative of Captain Jack

A bit of Yorktown history

How pretty is this house?

With this view

I wasn't sure if the sidewalk was torn up because of the storm or if they hadn't completed installing it. I think it was the former and Denny was sure it was the later.

I thought this was a cool gate

This building is an ice cream shop.

You can see how few people were visiting Yorktown today.

Cute restaurant right on the water. Doris - Is this the one your husband likes?

Who is shocked that I had to take about 10 pictures of the bridge?

Definitely the best angle

Continued.......

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 10-18-2011, 10:15 PM   #188
KatMark
DIS Veteran

MaryEllen, your photos of Salisbury are great -- they shows the viewer a beautiful campus.

Glad you were able to get a discount on the tickets for Busch Gardens, but sorry the Imax film was not working.

Yorktown is very pretty.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:30 PM   #189
MEK
DIS Veteran

Continued

Here is the Schooner the Alliance.

While originally planning this trip I had considered a sunset set cruise on the Alliance but I nixed it to save money and because I didn't think Denny would be impressed. You have to know that Denny has spent time sailing on a 42ft sailboat, so I didn't think he care one way or another. But when he saw the boat he actually said he would have liked to do one of the cruises. Oh well - next time.

An old boat on display

We passed the Yorktown Segway Tours

which was

I bet we could have walked right in and gotten a tour. This place was dead.

I forgot to mention that this whole area was called

I stopped in this store

but they had signs posted everywhere - No Pictures. Really?

OK you history buffs....who knows who the guys in these statues?

The Yorktown trolley coming

and going

I really did enjoy our walk though Yorktown. What a cute little town. For a hot minute we considered going back to the battlefield and catching the trolley so we could do a tour of the whole town. But I gotta tell you - I was getting hot and tired and I thought a little pool time would be in order.

So we walked back to find the car and head back to the resort.

I took this picture because I've never so many people and critters on a car before

That's one big family.

On our way back to the Powhatan I called one of the several numbers I had to inquire about doing a ghost tour that evening and you know what.......The power was STILL out in Historic Williamsburg. The tour leader I spoke to was not going out, but she did offer to call another guide for me. He wasn't going out either. They offered me a reservation for the next night, but since I knew we would be spending the day at BG, I declined.

Bummer - I was really looking forward to hearing about ghosts and seeing some supernatural stuff.

Up Next.....Did I see a ghost after all in Got Ghosts? PartII

Old 10-18-2011, 10:46 PM   #190
Roxychica7
DIS Veteran

Oh it's so fun seeing all these updates of familiar things! That is one BIG family..too bad they all don't have the Disney ears on!

If you ever get a chance to go back to Yorktown, the Riverwalk Restaurant there is amazing! Great authentic MD style crabcakes, we ate there for Blake's sister's rehearsal dinner last year. And there's a great wine store..let me google it for you...called the River Fruit Wine Company..and they have the BEST homemade wine. Like Pineapple, Watermelon wine, YUM!
WHY did you do it? 2010
Old 10-18-2011, 11:01 PM   #191
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

I have always wanted to go to Williamsburg. We actually had a trip lined up to go there several years ago, but a hurricane came through hitting Virginia directly, so in two days time, we had to change our plans and ending up going to WDW.

Everything just looks so beautiful! I can't wait to see about your trip to Busch Gardens! That's the one place that I wanted to visit for sure when we were there.

Follow me on Instagram: @keep_calm_love_disney
Follow me on Twitter: @disney_voss
Danielle

In progress TRs:
My Fork and I Are Friends - Nov 14 TR
They Don't Eat Hash Browns in Princessland - May 14 TR
Completed TRs:
Jan 14 TR July.13 Apr. 13
Nov.12 July.12 Jan.12 Nov. '11 July '11 Feb. '11 Nov. 10 and Jan. 11 Oct. '09.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:02 PM   #192
KatMark
DIS Veteran

That ice cream shop building is so cute...love it.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:58 AM   #193
dawnbu40
DIS Veteran

Your pictures are beautiful! The campus looks lovely and Yorktown looks like a fun place to explore
Old 10-19-2011, 07:00 AM   #194
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

That stinks that the power affected so many parts of your trip!! Hopefully everything at BG was up and running!

Wow...that is one huge window decal family!
Old 10-19-2011, 08:45 AM   #195
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWGal210 View Post
Your HHI plans look divine! What a great girls trip!! I'll be excited to hear your impressions of the resort. Have a safe drive - sounds like an adventure!
I am really looking forward to it - big time. Well, everything but the drive, but I'll make the best out of it. I am just very excited to see the south in real life. I have seen so many gorgeous pictures that I know I am going to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremysdisneymom View Post
Mary Ellen--I am sooo jealous! Your trip looks like so much fun. I have never been to Hilton Head but it is on my vacation bucket list.
Well, don't worry - I will take lots of pictures for you. Hopefully I will be able to fully inform you about the DVC resort there. I think that's probably a great option for everyone in terms of a great place to stay. And judging by the rate I got, killer rates are possible.

Quote:
You will Savannah! We were there a few summers ago and visited for a long weekend on our way to Myrtle Beach. I also the Old Town Trolley Tours. I wanted to give you a few tips. If you start the tour at a stop other than stop 1, when you get to stop 1, you have to get off the trolley and board again. That is where the welcome center and railroad roundhouse is. Jeremy used to and still loves trains. He loved the roundhouse. I don't remember which stop it is, but the Williams house (I don't think that is the name but Jim Williams is who lived there--I think it is Mercer House) from Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil used to not show on the Old Time Trolley Map. There is a stop near it. I can't think of the name of it but check out that home. It is very beautiful. BTW, I don't know if you like to read or not but I read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil and was glad I did before I went. There is a lot in that town you will see/learn from the movie. Okay, I am rambling. Can you tell Savannah is my 2nd favorite place to visit other than Disney!!!

Great tips! I wonder if I have time to run and get the book Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. I definitely could use some reading material for the trip. Happy to hear your endorsement of Savannah - it sounds like a wonderful city!

Quote:
One last thing, not sure what time you are leaving Savannah but we did Old Town Trolley's Ghost Tour. It was hilarious!!! Lots of fun. Not sure I would do it again as at one point it liked to scared me to death!

I can't wait to see all you fabulous pictures.
I'm not sure how late will we stay there since I know we plan to arrive early in the day. I know they have a combo ghost ticket for the trolley. Really - was it really that scary? It sounds great. You are definitely making me very interested, particularly since I never got to do the ghost tour in W-burg.

Thanks again for all the info!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
I've been reading, but I don't think I've commented on your HHI trip plans yet. It looks like you are going to have a great time! It's on my bucket list as well - and hopefully we'll do it at the DVC HHI!! My SIL used to own a condo there and I wish we'd been able to go before she sold it, but no.
What a gorgeous sunset picture! I love sunrise and sunset pictures. I could decorate a whole house with them!
Tell me about it - I love sunrise and sunset pictures as well. I hope I am able to get a few myself. Can't wait to photograph the scenery! I'm very excited about that.

I think I am going to love the DVC resort and seriously, how could I go wrong with $150/night. My understanding is that the resort is mostly 2 BR units, hence the great deal. They are probably more difficult to book. But can you imagine paying that rate for a couples trip - $75 a night per couple. Freaking awesome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
I'm planning/expecting to be at WDW for F&W 2012 (with my family) and will definitely be wanting some DISmeets!!! Hopefully the dates will coordinate with others.
I am tentatively thinking about arriving the 16th of 17th of October and staying for 6 nights. I thought a midweek arrival might be good and something different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintstickets View Post
No bites....just a few nibbles. The points will go into a holding account. They were under two separate UY's so part of them will expire at the end of February, 2012 and the balance will expire at the end of July, 2012. I will try to use those that expire in July to add another day to our May, 2012 trip if anything is available at the 60 day window. Otherwise, C'est la vie, que sera sera and s**t happens! We sure were looking forward to meeting y'all. Maybe at WDW sometime in the future. Y'all have fun. It sounds like you have a great trip planned. BTW, the certificate is in the mail.
Love the quote! Great attitude to take. Still a bummer, but I hope you can use the July points for May. I haven't had to put anything in a holding account yet. I think I am going to add their insurance to my 2012 reservations because I have a lot of points tied up in the treehouse. And then I will have another reservation in October.

Sorry we won't be meeting in person. Thank you so much for the certificate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
mnn, Hilton Head and Low Country food. Doesn't get better than that!
I can't wait to try some of this food. The only problem is there are WAY too many choices!!!!! Thank goodness my GF's are not picky eaters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxychica7 View Post
Oh Mary Ellen, you plans sound AMAZING!! Hilton Head, AND Savannah AND Charleston?!!?
It's the perfect trifecta of southern hospitality.

Quote:
And the food choices look delicious! Such fantastic options to choose from! Hve you ever seen $40 a day with Rachael Ray? There's an episode I remember of hers of a breakfast spot that always looked good to me..Signe's: Heaven Bound Bakery and Cafe. If I ever get a chance to visit, I've always wanted to stop there and try the blackberry french toast that they spotlight!
http://www.foodnetwork.com/40-a-day/...-sc/index.html
Wow - I checked this website out last night and it sounds and looks marvelous. thanks for the info. I will add it to my list! I do love that $40 a day show. Always interesting places with interesting food!

Quote:
Update sounds great to me!!
So happy I got one done last night!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkocto View Post
We are your loyal supporters and will be ok with anything you do
Gee thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinacaplan View Post
NORTH??? That's crazy! I'm from the Northeast and lived here my whole life...we are rude people, the winters suck, and its expensive. So, what's not to love, right? Maybe if the economy ever improves I'll think more seriously about it. Who knows? Sometimes I think I'm so far along in life and then I realize that I still have Max at home for another fourteen years. Then I think about what I was doing fourteen years ago...well, you get the picture.

That's exactly how I feel about it here. I think we are incredibly rude and terrible, self entitled drivers! I'm sure its more expensive to live in Conn then here, but nothings cheap anymore.

Those 14 years will go fast. I know mine sure did. The best memories I have are of all the vacations with the kids. Otherwise it just seems like a blur of work and school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinacaplan View Post
Yes, Mary Ellen. Very much. Kidding, of course...update away!

glad I got the update in. I would like to do 2 more before I leave, so stay tuned!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: