Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2012, 10:17 PM   #1786
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Great Williamsburg update, MaryEllen. The pictures of the grounds are breathtaking.

I wish I could drink wine; I used to but, for some reason or other, it does not agree with me anymore.

I knew on the first "drive" with Wilbur that this was not going to be a good experience. How can anyone think ANYTHING will compare to Disney. Seriously?????
Old 05-04-2012, 10:30 PM   #1787
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Great Williamsburg update, MaryEllen. The pictures of the grounds are breathtaking.
Thanks Kathy! I really enjoyed the plantation tour. The next I go back to the area I am going to tour a different plantation.

Quote:
I wish I could drink wine; I used to but, for some reason or other, it does not agree with me anymore.
Perhaps the tannins in the wine. There must be something they put in there which your system doesn't like. That's kind-of a bummer. I am really starting to get into the wine tasting thing. It's fun and its interesting how a chardonnay or a reisling can taste so different between different wineries.

Quote:
I knew on the first "drive" with Wilbur that this was not going to be a good experience. How can anyone think ANYTHING will compare to Disney. Seriously?????
You can't believe how many times Wilbur tried to convince me that I could trade this timeshare into Disney at the drop of a hat. Yeah...NOT!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-04-2012, 10:49 PM   #1788
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Well, I didn't know that one of those barrels without the wine was worth at least $700 because of the type of oak.
In a former life I worked for a lumber company that sold the white oak to make the barrels for whiskey. It's a real interesting process of how they char them and then get the curvature just right so they don't leak. Next trip you should go to Lynchburg, TN to the Jack Daniels distillery!

Quote:
I almost forgot to mention that at the end of the movie 4 girls (late 20's/early 30's) come bounding into the room laughing and giggling. They all had heels on, 3 of them had dresses on, and 2 of them must have had implants. It was all our guide could do to keep his eyes in his head. Imagine heels walking up and down spiral metal staircases. Uhmmmm - not the greatest idea.
Well? Where is the picture of these surgically altered young damsels? I might want to get DW a pair of their shoes if I could see them...yeah, that's it...I wanna see the shoes!

DL - 1967 | WDW - 1973 (Orlando) | WDW - 1980 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1985 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1997 (Contemporary) | WDW - 2007 (Old Key West)
DVC - May2010 - OKW | Nov-Dec2010 - AKV/BWV | May2012 - BLT/VWL | Sep2012 - Aulani (30th anniversary) | Dec2012 - Aulani (DD honeymoon) | Oct2013 - BCV | Jun2014 - BWV | Oct2014 - DCL/BCV | Aug2015 - DCL Alaska | Dec2015 - BWV

The "Don't mess with the CMs/take less photos TR" Jun14 @ BWV
Oct13-BCV - MNSSHP, F&W, Wild Africa Trek
Sep12-Aulani - Sharks, horses, a submarine scooter, luau & Mickey
May12-BLT/VWL - Don't tell Mickey! It's NOT a bug's life! That's a dolphin's WHAT? Where's the ER? Is that a body? Seaworld, Discovery Cove, IoA, Space Center
Nov/Dec10-AKV/BWV - Backstage Magic Tour; V&A; Lots of pics and video
May10-OKW - DDP cost analysis; Wishes Dessert Party; Fantasmic
Old 05-04-2012, 10:56 PM   #1789
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintstickets View Post
In a former life I worked for a lumber company that sold the white oak to make the barrels for whiskey. It's a real interesting process of how they char them and then get the curvature just right so they don't leak. Next trip you should go to Lynchburg, TN to the Jack Daniels distillery!
That would be cool. Recently someone posted on FB, "How many states have you been to?" and I have only been to 28 so I thought I might add Kentucky to the list and do the whiskey tours there. I don't even like whiskey, but I bet I could learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintstickets View Post
Well? Where is the picture of these surgically altered young damsels? I might want to get DW a pair of their shoes if I could see them...yeah, that's it...I wanna see the shoes!
I bet I could have gotten a picture of them because I think they were a little toasted before they even got there. Must have been whatever they had for lunch. But at the time I thought better of it.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 05-05-2012, 09:55 AM   #1790
MEK
DIS Veteran

Is anyone else having some weird issues with the DIS? I can't get into some TRs and I could barely get into this site this morning.

Oh Well.

If anyone is interested the musician I saw his name is Dean Shostak (not Kane - where did I get that??). Here is a link to the crystal concert website Its hard to believe that this music is recorded using crystal instruments.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:08 PM   #1791
Poolrat
I am alive, sometimes I wonder too!
I probably would be glued to the side

Quote:
So my October SWA flight from PHL to MCO dropped from $110 to $95. I rebooked it and took the $15 credit and booked the return flight with the touchdown stop. That flight also went down in price. RT total is about $195. I couldn't help it - the cheap price and the free bags. It just sucked me right in. The return flight is only 3.5 hours versus the usual 2.5 with the touchdown in Raleigh. Hey - we'll see how it goes, right? How bad can it be?
I know this is old news since you booked your flight already but somehow I now HATE to pay for the luggage. Just a pet peeve. So yeah I proably would pay a little more for a touchdown just to fly SW.

But it all worked out and you will be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
As long as you have a good book, the touchdown trips aren't bad. We did one that stopped in Spartanburg, SC on the way down. No problem.
Ahhh Spartanburg SC, my new Favorite town..... Love flying SW out of there even though I have to RIGHT BY the Charlotte Airport to get there.

Hate the luggage fees. Love SWA.

Great Williamsburg update. Good for you on the timeshare NO but if I ever get in that situation I probably would set my watch alarm to go off at 90 min and make no secret of it.
RUDE - yes but I have no tolerance for the hard sell and then the tactics they use to try to get you to buy.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL
Can't wait to go back
Old 05-05-2012, 12:45 PM   #1792
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Beautiful Williamsburg pictures! How fun that you were able to do a wine tasting while you were there. I love all of the ribbons around the bottles.

Your meal looks awesome! Goat cheese ice cream...that definitely sounds interesting!
Old 05-05-2012, 01:04 PM   #1793
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.

Loved seeing the historical buildings, so cool to think how long they've been there and who walked the same streets/area that you did. Beautiful pictures as always.

I think I would have been teeming at the 3 hour point let alone 4 hours Denny is too kind not wanting you to bad mouth them.

That concert sounds wonderful. I'll definitely look him up when I get home.

glad you were able to add a night to your October trip, that'll be nice.

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14, AKV/BCV 10/14
Old 05-05-2012, 04:14 PM   #1794
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

All right! You got to see the Crystal Concert! I was thinking I recommended it to you and had to look back through my posts to be sure. It's amazing isn't it?!

Your 4 hour timeshare thing sounds like what we endured at the Vistana in Orlando. It's funny (not really) how they can stretch 90 minutes into 4 hours.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:06 PM   #1795
Wicket's Mom
DIS Veteran

Those pictures of Berkley were very nice, but the outfit on that tour guide was atrocious!!! That is such a peeve of mine. If the guides aren't going to dress in a correct manner, then they should just wear polo shirts.

I like how the time share people want to drive you so that they can sort of keep you prisoner. Just sayin'.

There is a night life, after all Williamsburg is a college town, but it's mostly on the weekends & not in the historical district.

A fun thing in the historical area is to do the Gambols at Chowning's Tavern in the evening. Lots of fun.
(url)http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3050319
It Was the Best of Times & the Worst, But It Was the Best Trip Evah!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2811518
Old 05-05-2012, 09:28 PM   #1796
DisMomAmy
DIS Veteran

All caught up!

I LOVE all of your first & favorites! By the time I get to the end of a TR I never feel like doing that so I really appreciate the effort it took to pull that together. Maybe I could finish off a TR like that if I write the last update as I write the whole TR. Anyways... thanks for sharing your trip with us!

Your June trip is right around the corner... I can't believe it's all coming together with your brother & family!

And you gave us a bonus Williamsburg update to boot!
Old 05-06-2012, 01:02 AM   #1797
MEK
DIS Veteran

I cleaned my basement today for 3 1/2 hours. I told myself I was going to do it while Brian was away at college. He comes home in less than two weeks, so I decided to get it done today. Nick told me it didn't look like a "man cave" anymore and now it looks too much like the rest of the house. Lol!

Then I went to a party tonight - Cinco de Mayo and all that. fortunately it was only `10 minutes from my house. I probably won't get to replies until tomorrow night, but thanks for stopping by. I think I might try sleeping in the basement tonight since I recovered all the couches. Might as well check them out!

Old 05-06-2012, 09:06 PM   #1798
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Four hours! Yikes! But, it didn't sound too bad in all...at least you got to see some sites and weren't stuck in a little office the entire time.

I LOVE your pictures of the plantation...what beautiful buildings and property!!
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
Old 05-07-2012, 08:14 AM   #1799
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

Looks like a (mostly) great trip so far! I can't believe the timeshare thing took 4 hours!!! Yikes! I didn't really figure they would finish within 90 minutes, but that's a little extreme.
The tours look great, and I would love to have seen that Crystal Concert! How interesting, all the different instruments!
Old 05-07-2012, 12:47 PM   #1800
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Looks like a fun weekend in Williamsburg...aside from the 4 hours you'll never get back.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: