Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2012, 12:23 PM   #1636
DisMomAmy
DIS Veteran

Sorry this is turning into a nightmare! We have cut back on the amount of time we spend with family on our Florida trips over the years... they used to come to Disney with us, then we decided to just go see them first, then this year we decided to skip seeing them all together! I got a text from my SIL asking our dates... I figured they might be trying to come to Disney while we are there and got a little excited. Then she told me she wanted to know how she could get cheap tickets for when her son & granddaughter come to visit the week before us. She's texting me yesterday to find out about cheap tickets starting tomorrow! Oy! Family!
Old 04-10-2012, 01:19 PM   #1637
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry that you are having to deal with such nasty drama! My brother doesn't "get" the Disney love either, but he knows better than to throw mud. He'd be eating it!
BTW - I'm pretty far from a liberal democrat, (and I have seen plenty of them that actually are materialistic), and I am a touch materialistic, but we Disney lovers come from all corners, don't we?
Try not to feel bad, we're here to listen and we'll try not to hold it against your brother, but we will defend our fellow DISers!!!

I hope that things improve and somehow they will enjoy the trip.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-10-2012, 05:49 PM   #1638
jenjolt
Loves All Things Disney!

Ughhh what a nightmare! I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this!! All you wanted to do was take your family on a special vacation!!! I'm sure your SIL and her boys will still have a great time with you guys!!

My Magical Trips to Disney:6/2012,1/2012,10/2011, 6/2011, 5/2011, 1/2011, 5/2010, 1/2010, 10/2009, 5/2009,
1/2009, 3/2007, 5/2005 , 10/1992: First Trip to Disney (Thanks Dad!)
Old 04-10-2012, 08:45 PM   #1639
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnbu40 View Post
Aww MaryEllen I'm so sorry It is so good of you and Denny to try and do this for your brother and his family and you do not deserve all the stress that came from your kind offer! I hope your sister-in-law follows through and takes the boys!
Thanks Dawn. I appreciate your good thoughts! I am still waiting to hear from my SIL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnbu40 View Post
I have to say that I truly believe your brother and my brother would get along splendidly!
Uh Oh! That doesn't sound good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9 View Post
Ugh I'm sorry about what happened with your brother, that is really sad. It's also strange that he called you a liberal democrat, only democrats like Disney?
I never expected it would have gotten this bad and I totally don't get the Democrat comment. It makes no sense. It sort of came out of left field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9 View Post
At least your SIL and 3 of the kids are going though, right? That should still be fun! I hope?
When I get a copy of their flight confirmations I will believe they are going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicket's Mom View Post
ME, so sorry that your brother was so pigheaded! I've had problems with family so I do understand your stance in the matter. Sometimes all that you can do is back away for a good long while.
I agree with the backing away comment. I knew my brother didn't want to go but I just feel so horrible that he was so negative towards my favorite vacation spot.

Quote:
Ack, a four hour sales pitch! My DH absolutely will not attend one of those time share presentations.
If it was just up to me I would not have attended the timeshare presentation, but Denny wanted to do it so I figured "why not?" We actually had a great time in Williamsburg but we still didn't buy the colonial williamsburg ticket because so much of our day was spent in the presentation.

Quote:
I do know about treating someone & not getting a thank you. I never got one from my DIL & GDs for their WDW trip. DH does not me to do it again because of that reason. I'm a glutton for punishment as I'm considering a 2014 trip for the GDs.
I definitely think it is common courtesy to say"thank you", especially for a trip of that magnitude. When I took Brian's friend two years in a row he wrote me a thank you both time. When I took my friends in 2010, no thank you. I was pretty upset about that but I got over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
Mary Ellen, I'm sorry to hear that what should have been a fun vacation planning experience turned into a fuss. It's very clear that your brother was simply lashing out because he was too scared to admit that he's afraid to fly to get to Disney. If he had really been thinking about what he was saying, he would have realized how silly his argument was.....just that....silly and needless. I hate that it ended the way it did. Hopefully, your SIL sticks to her guns and follows through with the plan and goes with you.
I really agree with you. I thought the same thing. It's easier for him to say how stupid a vacation destination is then to face his fears. It's just so frustrating because I think his opinion will affect my SIL with her planning. Oh well, all I can do is wait to see how it all falls out.

Thanks for your insight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkocto View Post
I'm so sorry Even if you delete it thanks for sharing. I'm at a loss for words, I would be so hurt and probably start crying if I was you. Here you are trying to do something wonderful for your nephews and he acts so nasty.
My brother is normally a very nice guy and he really helped me out when I was going through a rough time several years ago, but he is clearly dealing with something now. I am hurt that he would vehemently attack a place he knows I like so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
I'm sorry about all that! Hopefully he'll change his mind when his family tells him what an amazing trip they had.
I just wish he could change his mind before the trip because I honestly believe he would enjoy so many aspects of the trip. It's just a shame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinacaplan View Post
So sorry. I know that you were simply trying to share one of your favorite places with people you love. UGH. And frankly, while I hate and will not touch the issue of politics and/or religion on this site, I have to say this: one of the things I love the most about Disneyworld is that it brings together a truly diverse group of people who wouldn't be together under many other circumstances. Disney reminds us all of the things that we have in common and the things that make each and every last one of us human.

Well said and so true! That's one of the things I loved about Disney from my first trip. I was treated special there and I am just an average joe-schmo. I feel like Disney is the great equalizer. And there are those that "get it" and totally understand Walt's vision and those we don't. But those who get it know how great a Disney vacation can be.

Quote:
I should memorize that for the next time someone asks me why I love Disneyworld so much.
You should. It's a great explanation.

Quote:
Again, I'm sorry...but I suppose at least your know now and can go forward with your plans.
I am really trying to move forward, but this is really bothering me and I actually don't even feel like DISing right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
I'm so sorry for what you're going through I know you were really just trying to do something nice and wonderful for the family, how unfortunate and upsetting for it to come to a situation like this.
Thanks! I really was trying to invite them to share in a great vacation experience, but it really didn't turn out that way. total bummer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcited2sleep View Post
Ugh. Sorry it turned into a hassle. I'm especially sorry to hear that LJ who loved it so much last time now doesn't want to go because he's afraid.
I think the complete turn around in LJ has definitely added to my discontent. I will always remember what a great time that kid had and I can't believe he isn't dying to go back. He was my little ride buddy. Sitting beside him while everything was "awesome" was so great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcited2sleep View Post
Well, no matter who goes, you know you're going to have a great time!
I intend to make the very best out of this trip. It will be nice to finally have a nice long trip after so many short ones!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 04-10-2012, 09:28 PM   #1640
HockeyMomR
DIS Veteran

Mary Ellen so sorry to hear about your additional trip planning issues. I truly hope your SIL does fly down and let at least 3 of the kids enjoy Disney.

Rebecca

* 01/01 - BC * 11/01 - BC * 04/03 - BC * 04/04 - YC * 03/05 AKL / BC * 05/06 - AKL/Poly * 07/07-WL/YC/GF *
*01/08 (mother/daughter trip)-POR*08/08-YC*4/09 (ladies trip)-Dolphin*07/10-BC*9/13-YC*4/14-WL*8/14 BC*
Old 04-10-2012, 09:43 PM   #1641
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14
Old 04-10-2012, 09:57 PM   #1642
KatMark
DIS Veteran

What a nightmare, MaryEllen. I'm so sorry...I know you were looking forward to the entire family joining. Sometimes family is totallly impossible (I've not talked to my brother since a year ago February and I don't see it happening any time soon...not even with my son getting married).

I'm glad your SIL and the three younger ones are coming.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:26 PM   #1643
Poolrat
DIS Veteran

When did your brother become my Ex??? I think I have heard some of the same things out of my exs mouth.

So sorry he is not going to go and I know that in itself is rough. I hope it works out somewhat and things improve.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL
Can't wait to go back
Old 04-11-2012, 05:34 PM   #1644
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekathepony View Post
Oh Mary Ellen, I'm so sorry to hear about what you are going through. It's unfortunate when people harshly judge a place they've never been. You know and we all know that you were just trying to be nice and do something good for your family. I'm sorry it's not working out. I know you'll have a great trip once you can put this behind you a bit.
That's it - I have to get this all behind me. It's still somewhat unresolved and its really messing with me now. In fact, I haven't even felt like DISing which is SO not like me.

Thanks for the support!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
I am so sorry, Mary Ellen! It's a shame that trying to do something nice for your family has turned into what it has...
I never thought it would get this out of hand. It's really starting to mess with me and I just want it resolved. Denny told me that families have to plan their own vacation and now I know he's right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
I can't help but ask how a person can be a liberal democrat AND materialistic? Those two don't seem to go together.
I'm not exactly sure if materialistic is the word he used, but he definitely called me a liberal democrat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
I'm sorry to read about your troubles in trying to orchestrate a nice vacation for your extended family. What's the saying? "No good deed goes unpunished"? Well, hang in there. It's funny how so many people who've never been to Disney have it all figured out.
I feel like this a good deed I should have kept to myself.

The funny thing is I remember thinking negative things about Disney before my first trip. I thought it would be crowded, chaotic, and just a generally unpleasant experience. I found out I was SO wrong. So, in a way, I understand where my brother is coming from. But I don't ever remember being that negative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
I'm sorry, Mary Ellen. Family drama is just not fun at all. I hope you can still enjoy the trip and smooth things over someday.
I am sure I will enjoy the trip once everything is settled. But I am going to have to dig deep to to smooth things over. I can do it....eventually!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 04-11-2012, 06:13 PM   #1645
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMomAmy View Post
Sorry this is turning into a nightmare! We have cut back on the amount of time we spend with family on our Florida trips over the years... they used to come to Disney with us, then we decided to just go see them first, then this year we decided to skip seeing them all together! I got a text from my SIL asking our dates... I figured they might be trying to come to Disney while we are there and got a little excited. Then she told me she wanted to know how she could get cheap tickets for when her son & granddaughter come to visit the week before us. She's texting me yesterday to find out about cheap tickets starting tomorrow! Oy! Family!
Oy family is right! It's funny how things like this can turn into a nightmare. I actually think my SIL feels bad about it because I think she would like to have it resolved and I think she knows its a great opportunity. Hopefully I will know soon how it all falls out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
I'm sorry that you are having to deal with such nasty drama! My brother doesn't "get" the Disney love either, but he knows better than to throw mud. He'd be eating it!
BTW - I'm pretty far from a liberal democrat, (and I have seen plenty of them that actually are materialistic), and I am a touch materialistic, but we Disney lovers come from all corners, don't we?
Eating mud! I love that!

I love that Disney transcends politics. I really don't care what anybody's political preference is. In fact, Disney if as far away from politics as you can get. And that's a good thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
:Try not to feel bad, we're here to listen and we'll try not to hold it against your brother, but we will defend our fellow DISers!!!

I hope that things improve and somehow they will enjoy the trip.
Thanks! I really do appreciate everyone's positive comments. It really does help take the sting out of this situation.

Yes - we DISers MUST stick together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjolt View Post
Ughhh what a nightmare! I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this!! All you wanted to do was take your family on a special vacation!!! I'm sure your SIL and her boys will still have a great time with you guys!!
Yup - I knew I couldn't take just two of the boys so I thought it was best to invite the whole family. I probably should have just invited the two oldest. Oh well. I did try to do something nice and it got all turned around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMomR View Post
Mary Ellen so sorry to hear about your additional trip planning issues. I truly hope your SIL does fly down and let at least 3 of the kids enjoy Disney.

Rebecca
I hope so too. I just won't believe this is settled until I see the final plans and they have not be forthcoming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkocto View Post
Thanks Pam!

[QUOTE=KatMark;44562547]What a nightmare, MaryEllen. I'm so sorry...I know you were looking forward to the entire family joining. Sometimes family is totallly impossible (I've not talked to my brother since a year ago February and I don't see it happening any time soon...not even with my son getting married).

Ugh - Kathy that is terrible. I really hope it doesn't come to that. I don't think it will, but I know I don't feel like talking to him right now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
I'm glad your SIL and the three younger ones are coming.
Well, I just checked my email and there are some NEW developments! Stay tuned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
When did your brother become my Ex??? I think I have heard some of the same things out of my exs mouth.
Oh Lord! No wonder you got divorced. Say NO MORE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
So sorry he is not going to go and I know that in itself is rough. I hope it works out somewhat and things improve.
It is rough, but there are some very new hot off the press developments!

Old 04-11-2012, 07:00 PM   #1646
Wicket's Mom
DIS Veteran

ACK, don't leave us hanging! I can't stand the suspense.
Wishing you luck!
(url)http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3050319
It Was the Best of Times & the Worst, But It Was the Best Trip Evah!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2811518
Old 04-11-2012, 08:19 PM   #1647
tinacaplan
DIS Veteran

Hope everything is OK.
AofA - 2012
SSR - 2012
OKW - 2012

Old 04-12-2012, 06:03 PM   #1648
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
ACK, don't leave us hanging! I can't stand the suspense.
Wishing you luck!
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to leave you hanging. I am just busy at work right now and things are hectic at home too. Plus I am lightyears behind on everyone's TRs. ugh.

Quote:
Hope everything is OK.
Everythings good. Really. I'll update soon. Promise!

Old 04-12-2012, 06:41 PM   #1649
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

I just got caught back up and read your update about family...ugh!!! I'm so sorry you have had to deal with that. I hope things smooth out quickly. And what a bummer about LJ not coming! Boo!!!
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
Old 04-12-2012, 07:03 PM   #1650
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookelizabeth View Post
I just got caught back up and read your update about family...ugh!!! I'm so sorry you have had to deal with that. I hope things smooth out quickly. And what a bummer about LJ not coming! Boo!!!
Thanks Brook! ARe you home? How was DC? In addition to not being on the DIS I also haven't been on FB in days.

It really has been some drama with the family, but I honestly think it's all getting worked out, so stay tuned!!!!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: