Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2012, 05:53 PM   #1621
MEK
DIS Veteran

June Update

June Update and No LJ!

Sorry its been so long without an update. Denny and I went to Williamsburg last weekend for a little two nighter (Sunday and Monday night) and then we went away to a soccer tournament on Friday and Saturday. I wasn't home much last week. I am finally caught up on replies.

I wanted to do a quick update regarding the June trip. As you may recall, I asked my brother and SIL to let me know by Friday if they were going to Disney in June. My SIL called me late Friday and said they were going. She said she was flying with 3 of the boys and that LJ was driving with my brother. She said she would let me know the details on Saturday.

Saturday came and went with no details, but I knew I would see them both on Sunday.

Finally, as they were getting ready to leave on Sunday I point blank asked, "What are your travel arrangements".

Are you ready for this??????????????????????

That's when my SIL told me that she will be flying down with the three youngest boys, but LJ and my brother will be staying at home! Neither will fly and I guess my brother doesn't want to drive.

When I told my brother that I thought it was really a shame that he couldn't go on this vacation with his kids he basically went into a tirade about Disney and how its a place he never wants to visit. It's too commercail. It's tailored for materialistic people who think they need to go there, ect. ect. It's for people who think they owe themselves a vacation. Oh - and let's not forget about all the other places people can travel besides Disney. He reminded me of that, too. I can't even remember all the stupid rhetoric he threw at me because I tuned it out. At one point he did call me a liberal democrat? Huh? Huh? What the heck does that have to do with visiting Disney?

Well, needless to say, his opinionated view of a place he has neither visited or knows nothing about, did NOT go over well. I won't go into the details, but it wasn't pretty. It will probably be a while before my brother and I speak again.

So my SIL says she is booking her flights tomorrow. I told her I think she really needs to do this. I am certain my brother would like nothing better than to keep her home.

Anyway - I am posting this, but in a few days I will likely delete it it just because I don't want to trash my brother and his family. I am just very disappointed that this trip is turning into a near disaster.

And when did LJ, the coolest kid on earth, become afraid of flying???????

I plan to do a real update tomorrow. The American Adventure. Remember?

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 04-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #1622
dawnbu40
DIS Veteran

Aww MaryEllen I'm so sorry It is so good of you and Denny to try and do this for your brother and his family and you do not deserve all the stress that came from your kind offer! I hope your sister-in-law follows through and takes the boys!

I have to say that I truly believe your brother and my brother would get along splendidly!
Register to remove

Old 04-09-2012, 06:17 PM   #1623
Nermel9
DIS Veteran

Ugh I'm sorry about what happened with your brother, that is really sad. It's also strange that he called you a liberal democrat, only democrats like Disney?

At least your SIL and 3 of the kids are going though, right? That should still be fun! I hope?

NEW December 2013 TR, In Progress!

My TR's/PTR's~2/13 TR~11/12 TR!~11/12 PTR!~5/12 TR!~5/12 PTR!~12/11 TR!~10/11 TR!~10/11 PTR!~11/10 TR!~11/10 PTR!~Disneymoon TR 5/10!

Many family trips offsite~9/08 ASMu~11/09 WL~Disneymoon 5/10 BC~11/10 POR~10/11 WL~12/11 Pop~5/12 BC~11/12 AoA/POR~2/13 AKL/BLT
Old 04-09-2012, 06:53 PM   #1624
Wicket's Mom
DIS Veteran

ME, so sorry that your brother was so pigheaded! I've had problems with family so I do understand your stance in the matter. Sometimes all that you can do is back away for a good long while.

Ack, a four hour sales pitch! My DH absolutely will not attend one of those time share presentations.

I do know about treating someone & not getting a thank you. I never got one from my DIL & GDs for their WDW trip. DH does not me to do it again because of that reason. I'm a glutton for punishment as I'm considering a 2014 trip for the GDs.
(url)http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3050319
It Was the Best of Times & the Worst, But It Was the Best Trip Evah!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2811518
Old 04-09-2012, 07:29 PM   #1625
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Mary Ellen, I'm sorry to hear that what should have been a fun vacation planning experience turned into a fuss. It's very clear that your brother was simply lashing out because he was too scared to admit that he's afraid to fly to get to Disney. If he had really been thinking about what he was saying, he would have realized how silly his argument was.....just that....silly and needless. I hate that it ended the way it did. Hopefully, your SIL sticks to her guns and follows through with the plan and goes with you.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 04-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #1626
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.

I'm so sorry Even if you delete it thanks for sharing. I'm at a loss for words, I would be so hurt and probably start crying if I was you. Here you are trying to do something wonderful for your nephews and he acts so nasty.

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14
Old 04-09-2012, 08:08 PM   #1627
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry about all that! Hopefully he'll change his mind when his family tells him what an amazing trip they had.

-Marissa
Old 04-09-2012, 08:19 PM   #1628
MEK
DIS Veteran

Thanks Everyone! I will do individual replies tomorrow. I appreciate your support. It's just such a touchy subject right now and yet I saw this coming.

Oh well, I'll be back on track soon!!!!!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 04-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #1629
tinacaplan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post

When I told my brother that I thought it was really a shame that he couldn't go on this vacation with his kids he basically went into a tirade about Disney and how its a place he never wants to visit. It's too commercail. It's tailored for materialistic people who think they need to go there, ect. ect. It's for people who think they owe themselves a vacation. Oh - and let's not forget about all the other places people can travel besides Disney. He reminded me of that, too. I can't even remember all the stupid rhetoric he threw at me because I tuned it out. At one point he did call me a liberal democrat? Huh? Huh? What the heck does that have to do with visiting Disney?

Well, needless to say, his opinionated view of a place he has neither visited or knows nothing about, did NOT go over well. I won't go into the details, but it wasn't pretty. It will probably be a while before my brother and I speak again.

So sorry. I know that you were simply trying to share one of your favorite places with people you love. UGH. And frankly, while I hate and will not touch the issue of politics and/or religion on this site, I have to say this: one of the things I love the most about Disneyworld is that it brings together a truly diverse group of people who wouldn't be together under many other circumstances. Disney reminds us all of the things that we have in common and the things that make each and every last one of us human.

I should memorize that for the next time someone asks me why I love Disneyworld so much.

Again, I'm sorry...but I suppose at least your know now and can go forward with your plans.

So my SIL says she is booking her flights tomorrow. I told her I think she really needs to do this. I am certain my brother would like nothing better than to keep her home.

Anyway - I am posting this, but in a few days I will likely delete it it just because I don't want to trash my brother and his family. I am just very disappointed that this trip is turning into a near disaster.

And when did LJ, the coolest kid on earth, become afraid of flying???????

I plan to do a real update tomorrow. The American Adventure. Remember?
[/QUOTE]
AofA - 2012
SSR - 2012
OKW - 2012

Old 04-10-2012, 05:15 AM   #1630
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

I'm so sorry for what you're going through I know you were really just trying to do something nice and wonderful for the family, how unfortunate and upsetting for it to come to a situation like this.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:26 AM   #1631
2xcited2sleep
DIS Veteran

Ugh. Sorry it turned into a hassle. I'm especially sorry to hear that LJ who loved it so much last time now doesn't want to go because he's afraid.

Well, no matter who goes, you know you're going to have a great time!

Old 04-10-2012, 06:51 AM   #1632
teekathepony
DIS Veteran

Oh Mary Ellen, I'm so sorry to hear about what you are going through. It's unfortunate when people harshly judge a place they've never been. You know and we all know that you were just trying to be nice and do something good for your family. I'm sorry it's not working out. I know you'll have a great trip once you can put this behind you a bit.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:36 AM   #1633
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

I am so sorry, Mary Ellen! It's a shame that trying to do something nice for your family has turned into what it has...

I can't help but ask how a person can be a liberal democrat AND materialistic? Those two don't seem to go together.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:24 AM   #1634
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry to read about your troubles in trying to orchestrate a nice vacation for your extended family. What's the saying? "No good deed goes unpunished"? Well, hang in there. It's funny how so many people who've never been to Disney have it all figured out.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:11 PM   #1635
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

I'm sorry, Mary Ellen. Family drama is just not fun at all. I hope you can still enjoy the trip and smooth things over someday.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: