Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2012, 12:04 PM   #391
Señor DonDuck
DIS Veteran

Another awesome update! Character breakfast looks nice and thanks for the ins and outs of how it works. Maybe the grilled tomato is their unofficial mascot? Maybe you'll start seeing a grilled tomato character at the breakfasts?
Señor DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:43 PM   #392
JKSWonder
Twelve plus trips and counting

Hehe with the tomatoes! I'm laughing in particular because Michael is a tomato fiend. We are forced to give him the tomatoes out of our salads and off of our burgers because he is addicted. He would love to see a tomato on the plate at every meal.

Sarah, however, looks less than thrilled with the tomato that is snuggling up to her scrambled eggs!
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2012, 12:05 PM   #394
nenner1
I must've been distracted by the Cafe Press Logo Thong talk!

Johnny Rocks-In-My-Stomach!

In the early afternoon we decided to head down to Johnny Rockets for lunch. Johnny Rockets is the diner onboard- a specialty restaurant that does not require (or accept) reservations. It can be found on most Royal Caribbean ships, but on Allure and Oasis it has a unique location in the Boardwalk, featuring indoor and outdoor seating. And today, it was quite busy. Seats were available inside the diner right away, but there was a wait to sit out on the Boardwalk. That was OK with me because it was HOT out on the Boardwalk and after two very HOT meals at Rita’s and Samba I was ready for a cool place to eat.

(Somehow we didn’t take a daytime pic of JR- got this one from Google)

Unfortunately we were crunched in a tiny booth for 4 ( it would have more comfortably seated 2) with a chair at the end of the table for Sarah. It was tight. But we made the best of it.

There is a cover charge to eat here- $4.95 per person for food, which includes a sandwich, family style fries and onion rings, and a dessert (apple pie or a sundae). All drinks (besides water) cost extra. (I brought my tea along from Central Park!)

Johnny Rockets Menu: (photo courtesy of Beyondships.com)

Unlike Independence, the tabletop jukeboxes here actually seemed to play our selections!

Unlimited French Fries and Onion Rings- DELICIOUS!

If you have never been to JR, when the music gets loud, expect entertainment! Servers, cooks, and other staff come out and dance for you!

Our waiter is always the one that can’t dance!

This post is useless without VIDEO! Click to Play!

OK, I admit it.... that was longer than it needed to be. LOL!

They do one dance inside and one outside. Outside got Stayin’ Alive, which was much more fun than our song Last Dance. Oh well…..by now we had: MILKSHAKES!

Real hand-dipped milkshakes- totally awesome!

Brendan and I had vanilla, Ron and Savannah chocolate. That was strange since I am the chocolate lover of the family and Ron usually prefers vanilla. I tasted both though, and the vanilla was indeed better. The chocolate did not have a very deep chocolatey flavor at all.

Here come the burgers:

Brendan and I had the Smokehouse: a single patty burger with Tillamook Cheddar, thick sliced Bacon, Onion rings, and Smokehouse BBQ-Ranch sauce:

Continuing the game of this side of the table vs. that one, Ron and Savannah both chose the Rocket Double, two burger patties, two slices of Tillamook Cheddar.

Savannah’s Diva Burger with cheese & lettuce only:

Ron’s all the way:

And Sarah had some (unimpressive) Chicken Tenders:

Food was delicious! Greasy, fried diner food at its best!

And, listen! They're playing our song!!!!

(Video- Click to play!)

Yeah, we're freaks.
It's obvious who the performer in the family is, no?

Even though we were so totally full, who could pass up dessert? Savannah chose the Oreo sundae, the rest of us Apple Pie:

We left Johnny Rockets totally bloated and completely the fullest we’d felt- probably ever. AS much as we were sure at that moment we would explode into a million pieces, it was the turning point in bloating for the cruise for us- we felt much better as the days went by (and we also stopped trying to eat so much).

But try as you might, who could pass up a ride on the Carousel?

Again, you need video to appreciate it:

(Click to Play)

Yep, you're seeing that right- they had the carousel all to themselves! What you hear - (the announcer blaring over the carousel music) going on is the International World's Sexiest Man competition going on over in the nearby Aquatheater. The kids could care less about that though. Do you hear Sarah squealing in delight?

Coming up though, it's time to work off those calories? Who likes to dance???

Up Next: FLASH!...Did Somebody Say Cupcakes?

Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas 9/2011- NEW! TRIP REPORT! - Disney Magic 7 Night Western 10/2010: Trip Report - Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas 1/2010: Trip Report and Videos - Disney Magic 7 Night Western Double Dip 09/08: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamas 10/07: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas 03/07: Trip Report

Last edited by nenner1; 01-18-2012 at 05:17 PM.
nenner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:14 PM   #395
nenner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Family Lee's View Post
I am so glad I found this thread!!
You have done a great job with this thread telling us about this boat and your trip!
I can't wait to read and see the rest of your trip.
I hope to book a trip on this boat to see it for my self.
Thanks so much for reading, I'm glad you like it! I wholeheartedly recommend giving these amazing boats a try- even if only once! They are something to be experienced for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloverags2 View Post
Gotta love RCI's chocolate breakfast! Never advertised, which is nice...keeps those who are in the dark out and means less wait for me to be seated. I'm so bad!
I know! LOL! And I am pretty sure it's available on each Sea Day! Woo-hoo!

Quote:
Very cool the chocolate breakfast was mixed in with the character breakfast on the Allure. Guess that makes sense since kids like chocolate and characters. And I hear you on those darn autographs! Although I don't think they do the autographs on DCL during the CB. It's just at WDW we have to put up with that!
Oh they were doing it on our last cruise on the Magic, we were right next to a table with 10 kids and 20 autograph books. LOL. J/K that is exaggerated a bit, and I dont mind it as much at the breakfasts...after all, they aren't going to kick you out of the breakfast before you see the character. But in the regular lines in the atrium in the evening- that can be frustrating. I know sometimes it says int he Navigator pictures only but we didn;t always find that enforced. Oh well. I guess that's just the price of doing business on DCL. If that's all I have to complain about I guess I've got it pretty good! LOL!

And I'm sure as soon as they figure out on RCCL that autograph books can be a cash cow, they'll be everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewmac View Post
oh YA TONS of banana hammocks.. i dont remember any g's... lol or maybe my eyes were scared?
I guess so! We saw one lady...omg....let's just say her bootay puts Kim K to shame, but not in a good way (!) Well she was sporting some floss, and my oh my. POW! You had to watch where you stepped because if she turned around and you were on her aft side, she could knock ya overboard. Just sayin'......

But the hammocks were worse. Everywhere. And in some cases left far too little to the imagination.

Quote:
feel free to hijax Elfis away! Next yr im thinking of taking Kara's elf ideas... just a shelf so much easier.. what was i thinking?
Haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
Hey great updates! So worth the wait.
Oh, I might actually get up early for a chocolate breakfast! Looks delish!

Yes, it was pretty darn good. The milkshakes were more like icy chocolate milk than a real milkshake, but as you can see int he update above, we made up for that later! And on Saturday our awesome server brought us something even better!! You'll have to wait and see what it is though!

Quote:
I love the way Fiona made her grand entrance! We haven't done autograph books at character meals - I guess we know it takes alot of time. Funny how those tomatoes keep poppin up!
I did like the little dance, and since each character does it and they come out at different times, it helps keep the excitement up and the interest going. Especially at this one, since it was so busy it took quite a while for them all to make the rounds!

And the chocolate breakfast- if you want just the breakkie and not the charatcers, they do serve it on teh regular brekfast side of the dining room too! And many folks dont know there is also a Windjammer style breakfast buffet set up in the MDR (on the non-CB side) so you can choose table service, buffet or both. It helps a lot with the crowds in the 'jammer. On other RCCL ships, the chocolate breakfast is served usually on the last Sea Day.

Quote:
Oh, and congrats to Savannah! She did great in her try-outs last weekend!
[/COLOR]
Thanks! She has been working her tail off and it is really starting to show. She has her first solo this year and has been rehearsing that like crazy. Someday we may be watching her on a cruise ship stage (or even better, in a parade on Main Street USA!) She's working hard for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudMommyof2 View Post
I have completely caught up and I am signing on! We are considering our 1st cruise and love your comparisons btw DCL and RCCL
Awesome! Thanks for reading- hope it helps prepare you for your first cruise and plannning! Feel free to take a peek at my other TR's in my signature to check out the DCL experience too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydfamily4 View Post
So glad you're back!
Thanks! I'm vowing to be more regular with my updates!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karajeboo View Post
Oh, Jen I have missed you so!!!!
Awww! Thanks hun!

Quote:
I'm laughing out loud right now at the pic of Sarah with her tomato half! She was REALLY excited about that!!!
I know! She was like what the heck is this thing, it's not even RED?!?!? LMAO! It became a huge joke by the end of the week. Like when we'd go to the hotdog stand. WAIT- where is our tomato? Cupcake cupboard? TOMATO, please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer48 View Post
Chocolate breakfast?! Yes please!
Oh it was pretty delish. Even better the last day! Stay tuned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkxray View Post
I having been following along with your TR and love it.
Thanks so much for reading, I'm so glad you are enjoying it!

Quote:
We sailed on the Dream last year and loved it but DH is tired of Disney and wants to try RCL next time. I am having a tough time deciding between the Freedom of the Seas and the Allure/Oasis.
That is a tough choice for sure. But now we have been on both ships (Independence which is just like Freedom and Allure) it's hands down Allure for us. Even for Ron who claims he prefers Freedom class, still chose to go back on Allure (or Oasis) next time. There is just so much unique and amazing about Oasis class ships that I think you just HAVE to try it out. We've also found that prices aren't really as competitive on the Freedom- sometimes they have deals but sometimes it is just as expensive as Oasis/Allure (summer!). Of course we love the proximity of Port Canaveral. Not an easy decision at all.

If you are interested, check out my TR below in my signature from our cruise on Independence of the Seas, it will help show you some of the differences between the two classes. Of course Freedom now also has the Dreamworks experience and Cupcake Cupboard (plus I believe they also have a new poolside LCD screen like DCL's "Dumbo-Tron").

Quote:
The character breakfast looks fantasic. Nothing beats a chocolate themed breakfast.
It was pretty good, and it really was a nice alternative to the same/old, same/old breakfast options onboard.

Quote:
I cannot the picture of the pools on the sea day. We only did a 3 night cruise on the Dream so we haven't experience sea days yet. I have heard horrible things about DCL pools on sea days though. I'm guessing that since the Oasis has so much to do it disperses people throughout the ship on sea days.
Well, our experience on this cruise seemed to be a little abnormal in that the pools were almost ALWAYS empty and deck chairs were easy to come by. I'm sure that the size of the ship does help some on Allure but I don't think the degree of emptiness we experienced on this cruise was in any way the norm. Yes, the pools on DCL are typically really very crowded. They are quite small compared to the pools on the Freedom and Oasis class ships, and from my understanding the Dream's pools are even smaller than the Magic/Wonder. Of course I understand our Allure cruise was in September, still warm but not really a prime cruising time for kids. I've read that the pools are more crowded during summmer and peak cruising times. But as you will see in my pics coming up- we had a terrific crowd free time up on deck!

Quote:
Looking forward to more
Hope that helps, I don't envy your decision!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Señor DonDuck View Post
Another awesome update! Character breakfast looks nice and thanks for the ins and outs of how it works. Maybe the grilled tomato is their unofficial mascot? Maybe you'll start seeing a grilled tomato character at the breakfasts?
Ha! I would seriously not be surprised, especially since in the past RCCL has a shady history with characters (on Independence they had this strange teardrop shaped headless thing- wish there was a way to describe it. Bouy, maybe? I don;t know but it was the strangest mascot I'd ever seen. At least a tomato is identifiable as a tomato! (Veggie veggie fruit fruit!, oh how I miss Kitchen Kabaret!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSWonder View Post
Hehe with the tomatoes! I'm laughing in particular because Michael is a tomato fiend. We are forced to give him the tomatoes out of our salads and off of our burgers because he is addicted. He would love to see a tomato on the plate at every meal.

Sarah, however, looks less than thrilled with the tomato that is snuggling up to her scrambled eggs!
LOL, well Michael would be in hog heaven on that ship, let me tell you! Sarah didn't quite know what to think. Ha ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
I didn't know that DCCL had chacaracter breakfasts. I love it!
Yep, it's pretty fun! And they are quickly expanding it to their other ships too, along with some of the other highly successful concepts first developed on Allure (like Rita's Cantina and Izumi)

Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas 9/2011- NEW! TRIP REPORT! - Disney Magic 7 Night Western 10/2010: Trip Report - Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas 1/2010: Trip Report and Videos - Disney Magic 7 Night Western Double Dip 09/08: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamas 10/07: Trip Report - Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas 03/07: Trip Report
Old 01-16-2012, 11:10 AM   #396
cyclenut
DIS Veteran

Finally caught up on your TR. Amazing stuff! Wife and I are sailing on RCL FOS this June and are really looking forward to it. Thought we'd skip the Oasis class as being too big but your TR is giving me second thoughts. Might have to try it sometime.

We have a dancer in our family too and Christmas time is uber-busy in our house so I can imagine you had quite a lot to do during that time. Our competition season just started so it won't slow down for us until May. Hope you find some time to finish up but I totally get where you are coming from and it really is worth the wait.

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstacy to Ensenada - Summer 2004
Royal Caribbean Vision of the Seas NB Pacific Coast - April 2007
Disney Wonder to Alaska - August 2011
Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas Western Caribbean - June 2012
Disney Wonder SB Pacific Coast - September 2012
cyclenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:23 AM   #397
iloverags2
DIS Veteran

Woo Hoo! Gotta love Johnny Rockets...and those endless fries! Love the ketchup smiley face with the eyebrows.

And how cool is that the kids had the carousel to themselves!

iloverags2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #398
Disney Family Lee's
Mouseketeer

The food looks great!!
We have never been to a Johnny Rockets before so we will have to try one.
Keep the good times going because we love to dance!!
Thanks for the update!!

DD-13 ME DW
Disney Family Lee's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:45 AM   #399
CampbellScot
DIS Veteran

such a FUN TR!!! loving it!!!

CampbellScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:48 AM   #400
Cheryl726
DIS Veteran

Johnny Rockets looks like so much fun-love Savannah's show too! Good choice with the Oreo sundae, that would've been my choice too! I didn't know they had a chocolate breakfast-that just may make me book a RCCL cruise! (I was thinking of it anyway!!)

Enjoying your TR!
Old 01-17-2012, 01:29 PM   #401
newbie2011
Earning My Ears

Thank you so much for posting this trip report. My family was one of the casualties from the Christmas Wonder MR cancellations. Tried to stay with DCL but the prices were soooo prohibitive by this time that we booked the Allure. Your reports have skyrocketed the excitement for my family and we are truly excited to try something new.

Keep the reports coming! You have a wonderful writing style and I can't wait to read more!

Thank you again for helping to salvage my families spirits.
newbie2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:40 PM   #402
Goldeelox9
Our Disney Cruise Line Wedding ~ November 4, 2008

Did you stop keeping track of the points???
*-:¦:-Lisa -:¦:-*Click to read about my wedding :Our Disney Cruise Wedding, Don't miss my B2B on the Dream Trip Report. My newest trip report is Disneyland - DCL, Hawaii, Aulani & Disneyland Still a work in progress!

February 1982 - Off Site; June 1995 - Offsite; February 1998 - AllStar Music; February 2000 - Disney Magic; January 2002 - Carribean Beach Resort & Disney Wonder; January 2004 - Port Orleans Riverside & Disney Wonder; January 2006 - Pop Century; February 2007 - Pop Century; November 2008 - Disney Wonder Wedding & Animal Kingdom Lodge; November 2009 - All Star Movies, Treehouse Villas & Disney Wonder; December 2009 - All Star Music ; January 2011 - POFQ, BLT & Disney Magic Cruise;
September 2011, AKL & B2B - Disney Dream & Wilderness Lodge; January 2012 - Boardwalk; October 2012 - Grand Californian at Disneyland; October 2012 - Disney Wonder to Hawaii; October 2012 - Candy Cane Inn at Disneyland; February 2013 - BLT & Disney Dream & Beach Club Resort; May 2013 - Animal Kingdom Lodge; September 2013 - Polynesian & Fantasy; October 2013 - Art of Animation; December 2013 - Old Key West; February 2014 - Animal Kingdom Lodge; February - 2014 - Grand Californian; May 2014 - Animal Kingdom Lodge, Disney Magic B2B, Bay Lake Towers; May 2014 - Wilderness Lodge for Star Wars Weekend; August 2014 - Old Key West, Beach Club Villas & Disney Dream
Goldeelox9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:41 PM   #403
anewmac
Ive got nothing planned whats an OCVP to do?

ohhh Johnny Rocks havent had that in FOREVER so good!

You guys crack me up.. Ok Savannah lol. looks like a go time was held and not bad price I thought they would jack it up more since its the Allure.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:43 PM   #404
nenner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclenut View Post
Finally caught up on your TR. Amazing stuff! Wife and I are sailing on RCL FOS this June and are really looking forward to it. Thought we'd skip the Oasis class as being too big but your TR is giving me second thoughts. Might have to try it sometime.
That's awesome! You'll love Freedom! We were on her sister ship Independence in '10 and it was terrific!

Quote:
We have a dancer in our family too and Christmas time is uber-busy in our house so I can imagine you had quite a lot to do during that time. Our competition season just started so it won't slow down for us until May. Hope you find some time to finish up but I totally get where you are coming from and it really is worth the wait.
Thanks, it is actually a lot better now that the holidays and Nutcracker are over Plus we do a lot of our privates/rehearsals during holiday break so that was a whirlwind, and even with the comps starting next month I am happy to settle back into a more normal routine! Best wishes for an awesome competition season to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloverags2 View Post
Woo Hoo! Gotta love Johnny Rockets...and those endless fries! Love the ketchup smiley face with the eyebrows.
He was cute, but dare I admit I love the ketchup mickeys more...

Quote:
And how cool is that the kids had the carousel to themselves!
That happened more than once actually- most of the time it was very, very sparse crowds. Until the last afternoon and then it was NUTS! We actually had to wait in line! *gasp*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Family Lee's View Post
The food looks great!!
We have never been to a Johnny Rockets before so we will have to try one.
Keep the good times going because we love to dance!!
Thanks for the update!!
Woo hoo! Do you have Johnny Rockets diners in your area? WE have at least one here in the mall but we refuse to go there becuse it has now become a "cruise" thing for us- just like going to Cracker Barrel before the cruise. It is pretty darn tasty though.

The dancing is coming right up and it was fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampbellScot View Post
such a FUN TR!!! loving it!!!
Thanks so much for reading! I'm so glad you are enjoying it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl726 View Post
Johnny Rockets looks like so much fun-love Savannah's show too!
LOL, she is always a performer!

Quote:
Good choice with the Oreo sundae, that would've been my choice too!
Last time we were at JR we all shared one- we were so full. We were just as full this time though and each had our own anyway. I for one suffered for it later.

Quote:
I didn't know they had a chocolate breakfast-that just may make me book a RCCL cruise! (I was thinking of it anyway!!)

Enjoying your TR!
Thanks so much, yes the chocolate breakfast is a little known detail- I didn't realize it was fleetwide until recently, I thought it was just Oasis/Allure! (Not sure how often it is served on the other ships- I think only on the last sea day on most of the fleet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie2011 View Post
Thank you so much for posting this trip report. My family was one of the casualties from the Christmas Wonder MR cancellations. Tried to stay with DCL but the prices were soooo prohibitive by this time that we booked the Allure. Your reports have skyrocketed the excitement for my family and we are truly excited to try something new.
You are very welcome, I'm glad you are finding it helpful! I read about the Christmas/New Years cruise cancellations- that was awful. So sorry that happened to you but I do think you will thoroughly enjoy Allure!! It's pretty much as close as you can come to DCL without being on DCL (or WDW)!

Quote:
Keep the reports coming! You have a wonderful writing style and I can't wait to read more!

Thank you again for helping to salvage my families spirits.
You are so welcome! Stay excited- there is so much more to come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeelox9 View Post
Did you stop keeping track of the points???
Well..yes. It was causing too much dissention around here when there was a difference of opinion. Does Shrek win? Well, yes... Allure does win. But a special place in my heart will always be held for DCL and we are very excited to go on the Fantasy this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewmac View Post
ohhh Johnny Rocks havent had that in FOREVER so good!
It is! We will not go there on land even though last time we were at the mall it smelled sooooo good. It just taunts us that we are not on a cruise all sitting there int he mall like that. Ain't right.

Quote:
You guys crack me up.. Ok Savannah lol. looks like a go time was held and not bad price I thought they would jack it up more since its the Allure.
Haha, don't ask me where she gets that from... No they haven't jacked the price up. And now that we get the coupon books (RCCL gives it's repeat cruisers (Crown & Anchor Members, similar to Castaway Club on DCL) coupon books for free stuff, buy 1-get 1 stuff, and percentages off of merch, food or services. The By 1 Get 1 milkshakes coupons are among one of the better ones!

And a quick little Did-You-Know? You can get milkshakes (only) to go at Johnny Rockets without having to pay for the cover charge! SWEET!

Old 01-18-2012, 06:31 PM   #405
nenner1

Eat a Treat, Move Your Feet

After lunch we did not have long before the girls’ Cupcake Decorating Class at the Cupcake Cupboard. Ours was scheduled for 3:30. They are offered on the Sea days at different times, and there are classes for both children and adults. The Children’s class was $15 and the Adult classes were $22. They last a half an hour, and are a lot of fun. The classes are by reservation only, and can be booked prior to the cruise if you so desire. I do advise booking as soon as possible whether online or onboard- they are quite popular and do fill up. Ours was at capacity.

The Cupcake Cupboard located in the Royal Promenade:

When we arrived at the Cupcake Cupboard the tables were all lined up together and the supplies were already out on the table- including the cupcakes- covered in plastic wrap.

With 20 children in attendance and an average of 1.5 parents per child (LOL) it was quite packed in the Cupboard. During our class they stayed open for regular business as well, so with traffic in and out and so many photographing parents around, we were pretty much packed in like sardines. Sarah and Savannah were lucky to get two seats next to each other, when the decorator doing the class invited the children to pick a seat it was kind of a melee.

It all worked out though: here they are ready to go:

It was quite noisy due to some dance classes going on right outside in the Promenade (In addition to the Flash Mob, I saw Zumba and also Michael Jackson classes- all were well attended) The class started off with the decorator giving each child a chance to introduce themselves by name and hometown, and say whether or not they have ever decorated a cupcake before.

Sarah didn’t say anything. Savannah- for some reason- said she had NOT ever decorated a cupcake before. I’m not quite sure that is accurate. For sure she has decorated cookies, but maybe not cupcakes. Maybe she’s right and I was not insane enough to allow her free reign with my Pampered Chef decorating kit……

Anyhoo, as the class got underway it was quickly obvious the Savannah may have been a tad too old and Sarah was way too young. The ages ranged from about 5-8 mostly, with a couple younger and Sarah the youngest by far and Savannah was clearly the oldest. I’d have to say this class is perfect for kids aged 5-8 or so. Younger is too young and it was too easy for Savannah at age 10. Now I’m not sure if they allow older kids and teens to do the Adult class. That class actually uses pastry bags and does more intricate designs with fondant and such. But if you have an older child (age 10 and up) do consider this.

We have seen pictures in the past of some of the cupcakes the classes do. The Adult class does a cheeseburger and French fries that is pretty impressive. I have also seen a lion and a monkey. This class –and I could tell by just looking at the preparations on the table- would be doing something different.

Display of examples from the decorating class and the famous cheeseburger cupcake (photo from cruise critic):

On the table each child had a cupcake (vanilla), a glob of buttercream frosting that had a few drops of blue food coloring on it, a cup with some green fondant, a cup with some red fondant, some graham cracker crumbs, and some non-pareils (the little round bead-like sprinkles)

I tried to take a lot of video and pics, but since it was just me with the girls (the boys were on the flowrider or doing something else fun!) and I ended up having to help Sarah quite a bit, I didn’t get as many pictures once they got started. Here again another shot from before they began:

The first instruction was to take the green fondant, split it into parts, roll it and then pinch the rolls. Everyone with the exception of Sarah did well with that instruction. Sarah understood the rolling part, but the pinching not so much. I was trying to just let her do her thing with it, I mean she is 3...I didn’t really expect her to become the Cake Boss from just one class or anything.

The next instruction was a little more involved with the red fondant. They basically created little fishes out of it (round circle, then another circle with two parts cut out for the tail fins. The fondant pieces were then set aside, unless you are Sarah and in her case, they went right on the cupcake before the frosting.

Next, they stirred the icing to make it a nice pretty blue, and spread it on the cupcake. No, Sarah did not remove her fish and “seaweed” pieces first. LOL.

She does mean business!

The next step was to sprinkle the sand (the graham crackers) at the bottom of the ocean. Savannah’s looks like what they were supposed to look like. Sarah’s just looks cute!

Then the seaweed, and finally the fish were placed on top, finally followed with little non-pareil “air bubbles” coming from the fish’s mouth! So cute!!

Here is a short video at the end, showing the girls’ creations. It was a little but chaotic as the class finished up, with people trying to wrap cupcakes, clear the area, and get their aprons (you get a cute little cupcake cupboard apron for participating). I somehow did not get a picture of Sarah’s cupcake at the end (the video there is the best I have of it), and back in the stateroom she snuck it into the bathroom and ate it without us knowing…LOL!

Here is Savannah’s all wrapped up:

So overall they did enjoy the class and would we do it again? Yes. We would do it again-maybe if Sarah was older and Savannah could be in the more challenging Adult class.

With all of this dessert talk, now let’s go work off some of those calories with some Flash Mob dancing!

For those not familiar with this new trend, a Flash Mob is when a group of people come together at a pre-arranged time and place and perform a choreographed dance together. RCCL began doing Flash Mob dances earlier this year on Allure and Oasis, and it has now expanded to Freedom, with other ships soon to come I’m sure. We read about the Flash Mob onboard first on Cruise Critic, and watched the videos on You Tube so we were familiar with the dance going into the cruise. I definitely recommend doing so if you want to do the Flash Mob on your cruise. There are classes held each Sea Day in the afternoon (usually 2:30 or 3:30), and they are held in the Promenade right where the dance will be performed. On the Eastern itinerary they also hold a class in the afternoon after leaving Nassau.

Our first class had about 20 or so people in it- mostly women, a couple of men, and Savannah was the only child. Each class follows the same structured outline: the entire dance is taught song by song so that if you only make one class you still know enough to get out there and DANCE! during the actual performance. Participation does grow throughout the week; our last class easily had double the amount of people in it. The actual dance performance had maybe 50 people participate.

This class the instructor had problems with his ipod that had the music on it, so we lost about 15 minutes of time while he tried to fix it. The music and his instructions are played over loudspeaker so that everyone can hear. I do advise though if you are a visual learner- like me- and need to see, do try to get near the front of the group. I was towards the back and it was quite difficult from back there, because if you can’t see the instructor, then you have to watch others – and they aren’t necessarily doing it right, KWIM? I got a little frustrated at one point because I kept asking Savannah to show me how to do things and she was really getting an attitude about it. So I got more frustrated. Ha! Actually LOL, I really make it sound fun don’t I? Haha! Actually it is fun, but I do get frustrated when I am trying to learn something and can’t see the demonstration.

The view from the rear:

I thought I had more photos and video but it looks like this one short clip taken in the very beginning- before we actually started learning the dance- is all I have: (click to play)

Each class ended with a run-through of the entire dance. So like I said, even if you only make one class, you have probably learned enough to get by in the actual performance. We went to 2 classes and knew the dance quite well, although like I said, we were familiar with what to expect beforehand, thanks to You Tube.

After Flash Mob class, the Penguins of Madagascar were out in the Boardwalk. Ron took them down for pictures while I got showered and ready for the evening.

This character line was probably the worst of the cruise. It was quite long and there were some line cutters- or attempted line cutters, disguised as sweet little old ladies. I wasn’t there so I will let Ron tell that story if he wants. LOL!

And of course afterwards, another ride on the Carousel. Why Not???

Yeah, I’ll take a Coney Island to go. Extra Kraut!

Afterwards they took a stroll around the ship for some random photos. Meanwhile the sun is setting over the ocean:

Going, going…gone:

Up Next: Splash!

Tags
allure, cruise, rccl, rci, shrek

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: