Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2011, 10:06 PM   #46
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Make sure the fencing people receive the neighbors' money before the work is done.

Just sayin
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:09 PM   #47
Ceila
DIS Veteran

Maybe I'm just a control freak, lol, but I would absolutely perfer to pay for my own fence and have complete control over it. From choosing the style to being able to take it down if I wanted to, I wouldn't want to have to consult my neighbor when making those decisions. Even if my current neighbor and I agreed on everything, who is to say what might happen if they move? And honestly, I wouldn't care in the least if my neighbor was "mooching" by using part of my fence as one side of theirs. If I put up a fence, it's because I want it, regardless of whether the neighbor wants one or not. I wouldn't look to save money by asking them to kick in on something I'd be doing anyway.
Ceila is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2011, 10:11 PM   #48
cglaura
I still love the smell of Love's Baby Soft

And make sure you work out future repairs & maintenance. I'd say, if natural disaster/storm you split. And human error (kid, dog, car, etc) then the family at fault repairs.

Maintenance you split (yearly waterproofing, power washing, etc.)

The hardest thing about having a plant-based only lifestyle is waking up at 5am to milk the almonds

************************************************** ****************************************

The pessimist complains about the wind... The optimist expects it to change... The realist adjusts the sails.

************************************************** ****************************************

A clever person turns great troubles into little ones... and little ones into none at all.

cglaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:14 PM   #49
leight
Making out in the halls in high school was a necessity

OP- glad it worked out ok.

12 yrs ago we moved into my childhood house. My neighbors were there for over 25 yrs and I knew them well. We decided to replace the broken wooden fence in our yard as we had a dog. We replaced the whole front with lovely new gates, but the house to the left had a chain link next to our wood fence and several of the old wood panels needed to be replaced. Some were still in good condition so we took them all down and the good pieces we used to repair the two broken panels on the right side. (our neighbors on both sides agreed and neither wanted to chip in to completely replace the sides so we did what worked.

Well, the old friend to the left didn't like that he lost his privacy-although they were good friends(Dh played on the same softball team). So he ran out to homedepot and bought a bunch of wood fence & kinda nailed 'em together against the chain link fence. Dh helped although he laughed the whole time since it was such a bandaid job. But our neighbor got the privacy he needed and it didn't look horrible from our side so all was well. Of course neighbor did regret not pitching in the $400 to have it done right with posts and all when we had the front fencing done. Our big joke was that they could have their skinny dip parties again without worrying about us peeping in. We were just lucky with the neighbors we had.

dhmedd13dd 112.59
leight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:16 PM   #50
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboysmom View Post
Update: well, I decided to go talk to my neighbor instead of stressing anymore over it. I also caught her in the yard which is rare. Figured it was now or never. Her initial reaction was that no, theynwouldn't pay. I said ok and told her I would just take it down and wouldn't put it back up. Thanked her for her time and told her would let her know what day we would take it down so she could lock her dogs up.

A few minutes later she knocked on our door and told her she had talked it over with her husband and that they would pay for half. So it has turned out ok. So for those that were helpful, thank you. I appreciate the support.
That was a totally awesome conversation you had!!! You handled that very well.

Glad it worked out.

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown

OceanAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:16 PM   #51
dfchelbay
DIS Veteran

Can I ask a silly question? Why did your brand new, installed fence only last six years? I'm not really knowledgeable in fences, but I would think I would not have to replace them every six years or so...
dfchelbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:32 PM   #52
SandrA9810
DIS Veteran

I know in Texas (Dallas), they replace fences often because of how much the ground shifts. The older the fence, the more falling over it looks. There's even roads with the electric/telephone poles that lean out at an angle. So even if it's wood maintained or the plastic "wood", it still needs to be reset every so often to stay upright.
SandrA9810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:51 PM   #53
Mysteria
MINDFREAK!
I'll release my inner felon on his butt if I get soaked by rain and bumped by pushy people
Make wishes on folded up chips

Here comes the poop tag

Location: They couldn't fit chemical and oil refinery state on the license plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfchelbay View Post
Can I ask a silly question? Why did your brand new, installed fence only last six years? I'm not really knowledgeable in fences, but I would think I would not have to replace them every six years or so...
Op did answer this earlier in the thread.

I wouldn't share a fence with them. They are only giving in because they have to, not because they thought it was the right/neighborly thing to do. I foresee headaches in your future if you go ahead with this.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:23 AM   #54
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteria View Post
Op did answer this earlier in the thread.

I wouldn't share a fence with them. They are only giving in because they have to, not because they thought it was the right/neighborly thing to do. I foresee headaches in your future if you go ahead with this.
My question is, since you are splitting the cost, who gets the "nice" side of the fence?
Old 10-02-2011, 10:35 AM   #55
twinboysmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkacmom View Post
My question is, since you are splitting the cost, who gets the "nice" side of the fence?
We both do. That is the style of fence. Looks same on both sides.
twinboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:55 AM   #56
DMRick
I prefer to be tagless!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlecamper View Post
we put up a 6 ft stockade fence, with the "good" side towards us (in our area, the courteous thing is to face the good side to your neighbor) So he ended up with a mess on his side. So I guess I'm saying just put up the fence yourselves and forget about it. We finally moved.
In our area, you would be getting another letter..the good side has to face the neighbor..it's not just courteous, it's the 'fence law'.

Please rescue a cat or kitten today! Most shelters are full.
DMRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:37 AM   #57
bethy
I love Disneyland best at night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyland1084 View Post
Then good luck trying to get them to pay half. I'm sorry you're going through this. It's terrible to have unfriendly neighbors.
Ugh - we have the exact same situation with our neighbors. I waved at them for 2 years but finally gave up. They have spoken with us 2 times in 6 years and it's been when they've really wanted something from us.

One of those time was when they wanted us to take one of our trees down. They offered to split the cost. We happened to want the same tree down too and so we did it. But we elected NOT to let them pay for any of it. I just felt like they were such mean people that I didn't want them to have that kind of leverage over us. Nor did I want them to think they would have any leverae in the future.

It's bad enough having unfriendly neighbors. It's very wearing on the soul being next to people every single day who dont' like you. It would be risky to complicate the situation further with money. You know what they say about mixing money up with relationships - it changes them and not usually for the better.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:22 PM   #58
FayeW
DIS Veteran

OP, just out of curiosity, what part of your fence is "beyond repair"? If the posts are still good and it's just the fence boards that need to be replaced, you and your DH can do that easily yourselves. No need to pay $8K to screw in some fence boards.

I would think that your posts would have been at least 4" x 4", and they should still be good. The fence boards are thin and would need to be replaced a lot sooner than the posts themselves.

(We built a 7' stockade fence ourselves, and while it was time consuming it wasn't difficult)
FayeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:40 PM   #59
minniecarousel
Chris Isaak fan
I'll take my earthquakes over tornadoes & hurricanes any day!
What's up with ruining corn by "creaming" it?

Around here, all neighbors share fences. It's rare to see a fence, with another fence right up against it. It's built ON the property line. If there's a Homeowners Association, it dictates the type and heighth of the fence. The most common fence is a "good neighbor" fence, with the "nice side" alternating between posts.

I'm not looking forward to replacing our fence, because we're on a corner, with no neighbor to share the cost of most of the fence.

(& in every town I've lived in California, fencing isn't optional. EVERYBODY has fences around their yard.)

minniecarousel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:40 PM   #60
LuvsDragonflies
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRick View Post
In our area, you would be getting another letter..the good side has to face the neighbor..it's not just courteous, it's the 'fence law'.
True, but if the neighbor complains, you can tell them you can't afford to change it so it stays as it or it goes. If they have a pool that must be fenced or dogs that must be contained, they usually just let it slide. Because if you take down the fence, they have to pay to put up their own.

I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it. ~ Abraham Lincoln
"Give me the storm and stress of thought and action rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith"-- Robert G. Ingersoll
LuvsDragonflies is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: